You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 06:36:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A system to handle food and time?  (Read 598 times)

Offline Cosmo_acTopic starter

A system to handle food and time?
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but i'll give it a shot.  Does anybody know of any systems that deal with the details of people needing to eat?  Ie, the char's are going to need to scavenge food, but I don't know of any way to handle how much they eat and time very well.  Any suggestions/systems?

Offline Calrond

Re: A system to handle food and time?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
DnD 3.5 has some very basic rules for this.

Starvation And Thirst

Characters might find themselves without food or water and with no means to obtain them. In normal climates, Medium characters need at least a gallon of fluids and about a pound of decent food per day to avoid starvation. (Small characters need half as much.) In very hot climates, characters need two or three times as much water to avoid dehydration.

A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

A character can go without food for 3 days, in growing discomfort. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each day (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Characters who have taken nonlethal damage from lack of food or water are fatigued. Nonlethal damage from thirst or starvation cannot be recovered until the character gets food or water, as needed—not even magic that restores hit points heals this damage.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm

Offline Aiden

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
Can you give more detail on the importance of eating in your RP Cosmo.

If it is a system game, and Stamina/strength is determined on the current fatigue/hunger then Calrond's solution or something similiar is wise.

In a freeform/sandbox- In games I have run, I set up a mess hall/cafeteria thread and let people use it as a secondary chance to RP.

I've seen many games suffer/stall out because the GM would wish to moderate every hour of the day. The pace would be to slow for some who would then quit or move on. Having a loser hold of time has seemed to work best for me, but I run freeform games and only on occasion do I need to keep a close hold on time IC.

Online Thufir Hawat

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »
Most systems have a starvation and thirst mechanic. Therefore I assume this is freeform, and suggest you check the WTO's recommendations.
It should be with the daily minimums, I guess.

Offline Cosmo_acTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
The game i'm planning would be something of a survival/horror game, where scavenging for food and water, as well as supplies would be important.  It would probably be a system-light game, but yeah, i would want supplies to be something the players would be thinking about.

Offline AndyZ

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
Admittedly seeing this very, very late, but maybe I can still help.

Cosmo_AC, I'm guessing that you don't really want to run overly much with an actual system but want to make sure that the effects of supplies are covered.  This is an assumption on my part so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Given this, I suggest doing research for the effects of starvation, dehydration and so on.  I would personally likely handle it by describing the effects for people who just aren't eating or drinking.  Some people object to having their character affected in such a way, but I've always felt that GMs may employ at least a little privilege therein with player consent.  In survival/horror, players can almost certainly expect to be messed with one way or another anyway.

If they don't eat, start out with hunger rumblings at inopportune moments.  Characters will start getting the shakes and mess things up when they should otherwise have gone well.  All movement starts to become painful.  Characters briefly hallucinate wondrous food only to find themselves gnawing at pebbles.  A dehydrated character who puts a piece of candy into her mouth can't get it to start dissolving because she doesn't have any saliva left.

If you don't want or don't have sufficient time to do research, just keep individual notes on people and start tossing out penalties when, in your opinion, they aren't properly playing out the effects.

I hope that helps some.

Offline Moraline

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
Just to drop this in here.

There is a fairly famous set of rules for survivalists called the Rule of 3's. Here they are:

Survival Rule of 3 and Survival Priorities

For real survival situations it is better to remember and prioritize by the four levels of the Survival Rules of 3:
  • You can survive for 3 Minutes without air (oxygen) or in icy water
  • You can survive for 3 Hours without shelter in a harsh environment (unless in icy water)   
  • You can survive for 3 Days without water (if sheltered from a harsh environment)   
  • You can survive for 3 Weeks without food (if you have water and shelter)   
The main point of the Rules of 3 that we have to concentrate on the most immediate problem first. I am mainly thinking about survival in an outdoor/wilderness context, but a survival situation is a survival situation no matter when or where it occurs and these rules/points/priorities are still applicable. There is no need to think about food if the main threat to your survival is hypothermia because your clothes are wet. And make no mistake, if you are shivering and can’t get dry and warm, you may not able to function after three hours. If you are alone, you may have only about three hours to live.
Source
I've heard from preppers and military types that in most of those circumstances your ability to be combat ready will only exist for the first 1/3 - 1/2 of those times. So if you have no water for over 24-36 hours you may be still alive but your ability to be combat ready will be severely impaired (Same goes in every circumstance: 1 1/2 hours with no shelter in harsh enviro, 1- 1 1/2 weeks without food, etc...)