You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 06:45:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 184 times)

Offline LilyRoseBlack23Topic starter

Spelling
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Spelling seems like a small thing, I mean, who really cares, but there are some words, so consistently spelled wrong, it's insanely obnoxious, irritates me to no end. Is it ignorance, stupidity, typo, who really knows. Here are some of the spelling errors that really bug me.

1. Lose vs Loose:  OK so I've made this mistake occasionally but in general, I try to remember that lose, has 1 o, it "loses" an o.

2. Their vs They're vs There: OK this one really really bugs me when people do it wrong.

3. Your vs You're: This one I see a lot, most of the time I see people type "you're welcome" they type it "your welcome". The person you are talking to does not "own" welcome, therefore the proper way to say it is "you are welcome" which leads to the shortened "you're welcome"

4. It's vs Its: Another one like the your and you're words.

5. Effect vs Affect: OK, I'll admit, I mess this one up, like all the time. So here's the rule.

Effect with an e has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but to me the meaning "a result" seems to be at the core of all the definitions. For example, you can say, "The effect was eye-popping," or "The sound effects were amazing," or "The rain had no effect on Amy's hairdo."

Affect with an a means "to influence," as in, "The arrows affected Aardvark," or "The rain affected Amy's hairdo." Affect can also mean, roughly, "to act in a way that you don't feel," as in, "She affected an air of superiority."

6. A lot vs. NOTHING: Alot is NOT a word, when using that phrase it is and always will be two separate words

7. Then vs Than: OK, I make this mistake occasionally if I'm not thinking when I type, but than is used to compare things, like I am taller "than" you.

9. Know vs Now: You would think this wouldn't be a spelling error, the words are entirely different, but it happens, and it can be annoying

10. Whole vs Hole: Another one, you'd think would be obvious, but people still mess up