Q . If there are no animal species left, what are the predators eating?
As lame as it sounds, prior to the fallout, genetically modified food that can be grown was created. It had all of the similar properties to meat, really – Same taste, nutrients, etc. however it was grown instead of an animal that had been killed. It satisfied vegans around the world. This plant would be processed and turned into a wide variety of meat-resembling products.
Now? This plant still exists and is grown as a crop for the predators, though the knowledge behind how this plant was ever created to begin with has been lost – Kinda like how most of us have just come to accept yellow corn when purple was the original strain of it.Q . If the predator’s don’t eat prey, could I apply for a character that has taken this up?
I figure this question will come up for those that want to play truly malicious characters, and I am very keen on those types. This very same thing came up in the previous run of this game, and we basically handled it as such :
Yes, you may play a character that has taken to purchasing Prey and using them for that very purpose. This is a practice that may be considered common, even, for other parts of the world (their status and how they are functioning in relation to Fallen Europa will be detailed further down). They will want to keep this secret, as it betrays the Law of the Monarch. Players should also not try to devour another player’s character as well. Please only kill and eat background characters of your own design.Q . HELP! I’m confused about jobs I can do! Alternatively : I can’t decide what I want for my character. Can you help me?
Instead of typing it here, I will direct you to my Spoiler-Cut located just beneathe the Character Totals in the Character Creation section. There I detailed a LOT of information and careers available to you. I hope it helps!Q . How "anthro" does my character need to be?
This is pretty much up to the player -- All players should recognize going into this that you may be interacting with a character that has ears and tails resembling their animal. This is basically the furthest state of anthro we're looking for.
Others may choose to only have subtle references : Teeth, nails, sensory, eyes...
You may choose to make your character as anthro as you want, or as subtle as you want. There is no set requirement. This is mostly for how comfortable you are, as a player, with anthro traits. However, there must be some sort of referencing to the animal, otherwise the character doesn't appear to be affected by the genetic mutations at all
, and that might not fly so well in this society. So give as much, or little, as you want while somehow making that character an animal
. You are no longer human. You are something between.Q . What are the main differences between the Upper Class and Lower?
At the core, the upper class can do whatever they fancy. Some work, of course, but the work is dainty – Usually owning factories and large companies, or doing jobs behind desks. Lower class does not have this luxury and does the more dredge sort of work – manual labor and the like, or other undesirable jobs.
Lower class is not allowed to own their own property either, nor do they own stores or even stands in the market – Property is always rented via someone in the upper class, if they get to rent a home at all. Both stalls and stores are tended to in the public eye by the lower class, though the upper reaps all of the benefit : It’s a 80/20 profit situation, which is terrible for the lower class, but what can you do?
Being sold into servantry or slavery is not uncommon either, and some find a reprieve in this sort of treatment : After all, at least they have a roof over their heads and are required to be fed via Law of The Monarch.Q . Are there slaves bought for sexual purposes only?
Of course! Once a Lord, Lady, Earl, etc purchases a slave or servant, they may be used for whatever the owner feels is appropriate, within The Monarch’s Law.Q . What does The Monarch’s Law Entail?
Q . Can you give another example of Predator / Prey / Between?
- All servants or slaves purchased must have adequate food, water, and a place to sleep that is both warm and dry. It must also be proper for their species – Aquatic Animalia must be contained within water, land Animalia must have a habitat suiting their needs, and so on.
- No Predator may kill a Prey.
- No Prey will ever rise to the level of a Predator [Though this law is being contested actively by Prey-Supporters].
- No Prey may be Harvested.
- If a Prey is born to two Predators, it must learn to serve as the rest of those on its status have.
Q . How can a Prey be born to two Predators?
- Predator : Predator Animals. Tiger. Lion. Bear. Shark. So on and so forth. Animals that eat.
- Prey : Prey Animals. Cow. Sheep. Rabbit. Squirrel. So on. Animals that are eaten.
- Between : Domestic Animals that serve neither function. Dog. Cat. Horse. Will choose between being a Predator or Prey in status. Animals that may eat, but are rarely eaten.
Because biological law, if you will, does not apply – A Tiger may mate with a Fox and produce an Eagle. The traits that emerge when a child is born usually emphasize something about its personality and are chosen at complete random by the child’s genetics. In this way, there is even more to worry about than if a boy or a girl is born. Most species will perform live births, not egg, even if the animal species is usually geared to egg-births. There are rare cases, but they are few and far between.Q . Do Animalia that normally produce milk or eggs for consumption still do so?
This is up to the player to decide. If they want to play a Cow-Anthro that produces milk, that is fine. But this is not enforced.Milk and eggs for consumption are still present in this verse, though, whether a player chooses to play a character like this or not.Q . Does this particular game rely heavily on the dominant/submissive archetype?
Not per say
, though there is the emphasis on prey as lower-class. Prey must obey and recognize a lower status to Predators...at least in public. Q . If one plays a Predator, does that mean they must be a dominant character?
Nope! Say... Your Predator takes a Prey in as a servant into the household. That Predator may then decide how they wish to treat aforementioned Prey. They may decide, in the public eye, to treat them as they are expected to be -- the lower class (again, think maids and butlers of Victorian Era, or the public workers, etc). However, behind closed doors in the privacy of their own home, illicit love affairs where they "bottom out", if you will, to their Prey may occur.Q . As a Predator, do I have to treat my Prey poorly?
Naw. Again, no one says you must abuse the Prey. You just recognize they are of lower social class to you. While this may lead to negative feelings and treatments, it need not always. For instance : Reflect that during the Victorian Era, there were many of the Higher class that would attempt to rally for the Working class in order to try to make a difference in their social standings as well as way of life. Your Predator may be one of those, if so desired. The sky is the limit!Q . Will species with wings be able to fly?
Birds will not have wings in this, and they wouldn't be functional anyway due to body weight and bone density issues...
Part of the reason some insect creatures are revered and thus work for The Monarch is due to the fact that their wings, if the species has them, do often show and may be trained to work, though none have sustained flight abilities. Brief hovering and gliding may be obtained, but only with diligent work.
Mythological creatures who have wings will each be different – Please see your GM for questions in regards to this. Q . Who are the Historians, exactly, and what am I getting myself into signing up for one?
The Historians, at the core, have unlimited access to all of the files within The Monarch's library. They understand the history of the world from Pre-Animalia, may understand how to revert the world to how it once was, and also identify the species. At birth, a Historian is always present alongside the Doctors and Nurses, and identifies a child as Predator or Prey immediately.
Sometimes they might make mistakes, however... But was it accidental or intentional?
No one is quite sure of the motives of the Historians. Do they actually support The Monarch, or are they out for themselves? Many are uncertain, but most in this Fallen Europa aren't too keen on messing with them.
For further details regarding Historians, please PM your GM. She will be eager to divulge a LOT of information in regards to what Historians do, how they function, and so on. She will say this much up front : Working for the Monarch is a tier system of Historians. If applying for a position like that, please contact her.Q . What is the Tier System for Historians in the Court of the Monarch? Who holds these positions?
There are seven “top” positions for Historians in the Court. These Historians are the most respected, you could say, and the most intimidating in the business. Not only do they attend regular Historian Meetings, but they conduct their own in private. These Historians also have access to the deepest files of the Monarch’s Library. Pretty much, if it should be known, they know it. Even though they are the Top Historians, they are not required to live out of the Court of the Monarch. Many to keep their ultimate job hidden from others choose not to. Only the Grand Historian is required to stay in the Monarch’s Halls.
At the top of the Tier is the Grand Historian, who works very closely with the Monarch themselves. The Grand Historian is rumoured as being one of the only in Europa to have seen the Monarch with their own eyes. Who knows if this is true?Q . How many characters may I play?
Only as many as you can comfortably handle -- I would advise no more than 2 - 3. Please, be sure that for every Prey you create, one Predator is created if you have more than one character. In other words : Please do not apply to play 3 Prey without applying for one Predator or Between.Q . What happened to the modern technology and why is it no longer in use?
The following bits would only be known by Historians and The Monarch -- Everyone else would be kept in the dark.
Society collapsed mostly due to an almost nuclear fallout situation. Unlike the worlds portrayed in popular post-apocalyptic games and movies, where the world is a barren dustbowl, the Earth herself managed to survive okay, but many pieces of key technology for humans was lost. Society, as a whole, had come to be so reliant on science and technology to power their daily lives that they all-but forgot how to exist without these luxuries in their lives. So when the fallout caused most of their technology to fail, humans panicked.
During the fallout, the combination of stagnant water and radioactive material created the disease that was released into the air, starting what was referred to as "a deformation" at the time (though now it has come to be accepted as the norm).
Humans still had their most basic technology, however, and it was decided that what they had left to work with most resembled that of the Victorian era -- For comfort and ability to survive, it was agreed upon to attempt to return to such a setting. There were enough luxuries there for humans to exist more comfortably than hiding in caves, hoping for the best, while requiring deceptively few advances in technology. The metal from the cities would be turned into ships, trains, railroads, and life would begin again, though "back in time", so to speak.
Pieces of forgotten and lost technology do sometimes emerge -- Mining expeditions, sea fishing, kids digging in the backyard... The pieces that are uncovered vary from metals that are unfamiliar, to wires that look strange, tiny devices with screens that no longer function but certainly don't belong, etc. Historians are often dispatched at first breath of such a finding, and the items disappear quickly into the Historians Archives, never to be seen again. Those that hold onto the "Forbidden Technology", as it were, are often brutally punished if found out. This has led to a rise in The Fallen's numbers.Q . What is the situation with the other "nations" outside of the Monarch's Rule? How far does it extend?
Put in VERY BRIEF : The Monarch controls most of what was formerly Europe – Our game, in fact, is set primarily in a Fallen variant of the United Kingdom. What the Monarch does not
control is contested through waged war. At current, attempts at expansion are being made. For lands that are not currently involved in war with the Monarch, they tend to be used as “farming” areas – be this for food or for pickups of Prey.
Think how Africa was used very heavily as a pickup of Servants, but wasn’t under any explicit control. That’s how they work.
Nations naturally resist : that is going to happen. The following section is a list of how each area is affected, and what the Monarch’s plans are.
Q . I want to play the ruling head of another country in this game. How do I go about doing this? North America :
South America :
- Canada and Alaska are under complete control – Canada was still, technically, a member of the crown as of the Fall, and was just kind of automatically swept up with the control. They are often forgotten unless the Monarch is lacking something better grown there. Alaska fell because the US could no longer keep up with what was going on up there.
- The United States, as of this moment, are free and untouched, as is Mexico and Latin America. They are occasionally farmed for new Prey, but are resistant.
- Currently completely without control from the Monarch. Area is used quite frequently for Prey and Servant hauls, however. Unlike their slightly more northern brothers, South America has a harder time defending against such intrusions, and Prey are usually taken and forced aboard ships for transport back to the Monarch.
Nations not under the control of the Monarch : Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Austria and Russia.Of the nations not listed, all are under Universal control of the Monarch, not just heavily affected. Of those not ruled :
- Portugal and Spain have been waging war to keep from falling.
- Switzerland has, as per usual, taken a completely neutral stance. Those located here will not fight, however they will also not secede their lands. The Monarch is kind of okay with this.
- Austria’s landmass also fights – This is an area that holds a wealth of knowledge that the Historians want and would be very useful for the Fallen. They know this and refuse to buckle.
- Russia cannot be conquered. It serves as a safe-haven for Prey and Fallen, and Predators who do not mind the harsh life in the cold. The Monarch has tried on numerous occasions to take the land, however like dictators and tyrants before : has found the land to be harsh, unforgiving, and the winter to be brutal. At current, the Monarch wishes to stage another war for the land.
- Most all of the middle east is under influence, however is not heavily policed. Everything South to South-East of China is free and without control via the Monarch.
- Parts of what was formerly China have since fallen, however in the higher elevations where it is, again, too cold there is a loose hold.
- Japan is free. Their naval group is currently unmatched in the world. The Monarch’s own naval team is lacking. They also have a difficult time getting to a coast TO set up a navy to fight for the Japanese land, as Russia or portions of China they do not own would be prime.
Australia and Antarctica :
- For the most part, this area is policed by the Monarch and used for farmlands. The grainery grows particularly well here, except for in the barren sections. This area is often favoured for sending prisoners of the state, when they are not sent to the tower in the Court.
- Australia is in much the same situation it once was : owned and governed by the Monarch, used heavily for sending prisoners to. Weird Predators and Prey tend to come from this place and, frankly, the Monarch is kind of creeped out by this area. When there are more prey located here that could kill in a single bite…well, even tyrants know when to butt out.
- Antarctica is still uninhabited, and thus not controlled.
- The islands located in this area are also not controlled (New Zealand, for instance). Again, insufficient naval units.
Though I may use nation names when listed here, the areas are dissolved from what they used to be. Only certain locations may still actually call themselves by the name they once were : Primarily, Russia does this. This may yield questions about what “nationality”, of sorts, our current group would call themselves… Frankly, I haven’t decided a name for what this landmass of work is referred to beyond Fallen Europa. So, I guess, you would all be calling yourselves Europeans. Not a lie, at least.
Austria may also complain, but only because that section has allowed a wider branch of people to learn, read, retain the language and customs of the area, etc. They are technically dissolved, but in their hearts they are united Austrians.
Please PM and discuss this with me ahead of time. I do not have problems with this, however there is a LOT you will need to know as a potential player, and I need good, very strong
players for roles such as this. You won't have an easy job, I promise you.Q . What is our nationality?
Addressed in the section regarding how other Continents have been affected by the Monarch’s Rule. Put in Brief : If you live in the controlled area of Fallen Europa, you’re just European with no specific denomination. Only certain locations, as detailed above, call themselves by the name they used Before Animalia. Otherwise, who these people are have mostly been forgotten.
Languages are the same way, though Historians are encouraged to learn these “forgotten” or “dead” languages. Sometimes you can find a teacher of an old language – to know one is to earn a bit of prestige. It’s a bit funny to look at “French” as a “dead” language, but to this society it is. Servants and Slaves to those who know these dead languages might also pick up the language themselves.
You may play characters who have heavy influence from these regions, or even live in “The Former Country of Italy,” for instance. Their accent may sound Italian, but their words are English. They can work to learn their dead language, however. It isn’t impossible, just all about having the right connections.