Transhuman is such an undefinable term...
For the unfamiliar but intrigued, I'll expand it to say that this is a crazily open-ended posthuman-style game. If you've ever read Schismatrix
, it's a great introduction to the setting's approach to humanity, clades, modification and all.
- Genetically-engineered biological or synthetic bodies for all sorts of applications...From combat to seduction to newscasting. You want to go out for a night on the town? There's a body for that. Need to board a derelict space station that might be crawling with deadly exovirused self-morphing machinery? There's a body for that. Exploring an exoplanet through an alien-built stargate that you might not be able to get back through? There's a body for that. Want to get the most amazing tan in the solar system? There's a body for that, too. In this game, meat (or metal!) is just one more item of equipment to the well-adjusted posthuman.
- Expect the guy at McDonald's to have fairly high hacking skill, a lot of silicon in his head, and a decent firewall.
- Earth is a postwar quarantine zone after all of the really scary high-end military AIs achieved Singularity...And not in a happy pretty 'and now we all evolve' way but in a 'Hey, you little meat creatures have a LOT of data in your heads. Give me those!' way.
- Lots of what used to be the populous areas of the solar system (not to mention military installations, secret corporate labs, and possible alien listening posts) were infected by AI/alien virii/nanitics/memetic weapons (hooray for basilisk hacks!) and provide all sorts of opportunities for entrepreneurial scavengers to get rich or die horribly...Or both, possibly with the added 'benefit' of provoking a species-wide extinction threat.
- The solar system is chock-full of space habitats of all sorts...Many of them abandoned/quarantine/off the books due to the recent Singularity/near-human-extinction battle. They tend to be insular, to such an extent that practically every inhabited station has its own 'culture'/social structures ranging from extreme totalitarianism to semi-cooperative anarchy.
- Combat nanite projectors, implant weapons, vibroblades, EMP systems and holdout pistols that are fully networked into people's personal autonomous networks and fire smart ammunition. You know, the usual equipment...Dialed up to eleven.
- Almost everybody has a computer in their head with a minor AI that advises them, runs errands for them, helps run tactical software and ballistics calculations during combat, and mentally hugs them when they're freaking out (happens a lot...You think WE have issues with OUR recent technological advances? Imagine waking up in a new body, being told you've been restored from a two-week-old backup, and 'We're not sure what happened to your original but it looks like a grey goo event.').
- And because things aren't chaotic enough already, a tiny percentage of posthumanity have been infected by an exovirus that makes them psionic...And very, very mentally unstable.
- Nanitic 'drugs' that tap straight into the pleasure centers of your brain and take you through pre-programmed hallucinations. Assuming that your dealer wasn't BSing you and they aren't actually rewiring your mind...You did remember to back up your ego recently, right?
- If that's not wild enough for you, how about massive scavenged-together habitat-ships-turned-floating-orgies started by collectives of artists, ecstatics, genetic engineers, hackers, drug-designers, and botanical (r)evolutionaries where competing to think of something new and bizarre to do (in every sense of the word) is everybody's pet project.
- Uplifted critters. Birds. Dolphins. Monkeys. OCTOPI.
(Just another typical day trying to keep the monkeys out of the banana plantation on hydroponics level four.)
And if that's still too boring, you're welcome to mix-and-match -- put your mentally-unstable, psionic, AI-assisted, combat-hacking octopus into a synthetic body. There are drawbacks to that, of course...But hey, everything has its price.
What's not to love?
Grab your lubricant of choice, double-check your firewall, verify that your backups have backups, and make sure you have your favorite biological or synthetic attachments on-line and ready! This could get fucking strange! And we do mean that literally...
Giving 'bush-robots' a new meaning since the early 23rd century...