You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 06:24:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Renegade Vile's One on One / Solo Role Play Ideas  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Renegade VileTopic starter

Renegade Vile's One on One / Solo Role Play Ideas
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
Unavailable for New Games

Renegade Vile's "One on One / Solo Role Play Ideas"

Welcome to my list of role play ideas!

As the title says, the following posts will outline more detailed or specific role play ideas I have available. To see more general ideas, please visit my O/O page here. Each idea will normally follow the same layout and will mostly just be an explanation of the concept and basic storyline. As always, everything is up for discussion and/or debate. Do you really like an idea but want it to take place in a realistic Modern Day setting instead of High Fantasy? Feel free to shoot it past me and I'll see what I think. If you are interested in an idea, send me a PM, but refrain from replying to this topic, simply because I'd prefer to keep these threads as small and manageable as possible.

Ideas will be placed into one of two groups. The ideas will either be character-specific, meaning they are intended for use with one of my profiles. Given sufficient interest and arguments, I can change an idea to match a custom character or another one of my profiles, but this will often be unattainable due to the nature of the idea. Feel free to take these ideas as inspiration, though, and alter them as you see fit to match some other role play setup. The second group will involve more general role play ideas that are more akin to settings and basic plotlines than anything else. Any character that fits into the setting can be used, so knock yourself out. The ideas will list some of my profiles that are compatible, but I can also create someone new for these ideas.

As a last point of note, the ideas will be listed alphabetically. Unless indicated otherwise, I'm keen on doing all of the ideas just as much and there are no favorites. And as another reminder, the character profiles on my O/O page are not the only ones I can play. If none of them suit your needs, or if I do not feel like using any of them with a specific idea, I am more than happy to create a new character.

The ideas come with listed tags explaining what kind of romantic and sexual content is possible, which I will detail below:
  • [VAN]: Vanilla
  • [BON]: Bondage (usually light)
  • [EXO]: Exotic (usually refers to the presence of fantasy or sci-fi races that are not human)
  • [MxF]: Romantic and/or sexual content between a male and female character (may extend to more than two participants upon request)
  • [MxM]: Romantic and/or sexual content between two male characters (may extend to more than two participants upon request)
  • [MxT]: Romantic and/or sexual content between a male and transsexual character (may extend to more than two participants upon request)
  • [MxO]: Romantic and/or sexual content between a male character and a character of another gender/identity (may extend to more than two participants upon request)

Characters of particular interest will be marked as such by being set to bold, while blurbs of particular interest will be marked with (*) below.

General Idea List

From Another Dimension --- *Available*
In Search of Utopia --- *Taken*
The Galaxy, and Beyond --- *Available*

Character Specific Idea List

Alexander Trask --- We are the Dreamers --- *Available*
Belial Asmodus --- Taking Power --- *Available*
Black Arc --- Toppling NEIRIN --- *Available*
Blake Morris --- Helping Out a Friend --- *Available*
Bran Rydar --- Taking Back a Home --- *Available*
Creed Varian --- Unbridled Ambition --- *Taken*
Daigotsu Yoshihiro --- A Distant Land --- *Available*
Deacon Cairne --- Returning Home --- *Available*
Evren Kaldirim --- The Time is Now --- *Available*
Hector Cassar --- To Hell and Back --- *Available*
Kain Eckard --- A Chosen Few --- *Taken*
Marek Duran --- The Eye of Ages --- *Available*
Midas --- Bloodied Closure --- *Available*
Moto Katsuro --- It was an Honorable Duel --- *Available*
Mykhayl --- The Masses Strike Back --- *Available*
Thadius Markham --- An Empty Vessel --- *Available*
Tymon Galea --- A Dangerous Bargain --- *Available*
Vargas --- The Goddess Commands --- *Taken*
Vaska Anatoli --- More than He can Chew --- *Taken*

Volunteer Auction

The 2014 Auction has concluded
It's nearly that time of the year again. The volunteer auction is an event set up by several members of the Elliquiy community which strives to raise some money for the forum. There is a whole slew of writers with a plethora of ideas up right now and this year I've thrown myself into the ring as well. The intent of the auction is to have member bid on ideas they like from individual volunteers and, in the even that they win the bidding war, the story idea if theirs to take into a planning stage. This isn't a competition and all proceeds go to Elliquiy, 100%. So, if you have room for additional stories, and you want to support Elliquiy in a different manner (though Vekseid's rules for donations still apply, do not donate if you are financially insecure; ever!), why not check out the volunteers?

You will find the auction thread here and my personal list of ideas here. I hope you enjoy the reads.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:55:09 PM by Renegade Vile »

The Change Log
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »

The Change Log

Date
Type
Change
   28-02-2013   
   Content Add   
   Added the "The Eye of Ages" and "Unbridled Ambition" role play ideas.   
   28-02-2013   
   Content Add   
   Added the "A Chosen Few" and "You need my help?" role play ideas.   
   21-03-2013   
   Update   
   Updated the status of the role play ideas.   
   25-03-2013   
   Update   
   07-04-2013   
   Update   
   14-04-2013   
   Content Add   
   Added the "Taking Power", "The Goddess Commands" and "Toppling NEIRIN"
   role play ideas.   
   10-08-2013   
   Update   
   10-08-2013   
   Content Add   
   Added the "A Distant Land", "Returning Home" and "More than he can chew"
   role play ideas.   
   14-10-2013   
   Update   

Date
Type
Change
   24-02-2014   
   Update   
   30-05-2014   
   Update   
   15-09-2014   
   Content Add   
   Added links to the 2014 Volunteer Auction.   
   21-09-2014   
   Update   
   Bumping for the 2014 Volunteer Auction.   
   26-09-2014   
   Update   
   30-09-2014   
   Update   

Date
Type
Change
   15-02-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "Taking Power" role play idea.   
   16-02-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "An Empty Vessel" role play idea.   
   18-02-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "Unbridled Ambition" role play idea.   
   18-02-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "The Time is Now" role play idea.   
   19-02-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the change log and removed all update messages from the thread.   
   19-02-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "It was an Honorable Duel" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "From Another Dimension" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "The Galaxy, and Beyond" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "In Search of Utopia" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "The Time is Now" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "It was an Honorable Duel" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "Toppling NEIRIN" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "A Chosen Few" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "More than He can Chew" role play idea.   
   27-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "A Distant Land" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "The Eye of Ages" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Removal   
   Removed the "You need my help?" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "Bloodied Closure" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "The Goddess Commands" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Update   
   Updated the "Returning Home" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "A Dangerous Bargain" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "Helping Out a Friend" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "Taking Back a Home" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "We are the Dreamers" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added explanations of the tags I have been using to the top of the   
   page.   
   28-04-2015   
   Content Add   
   Added the "To Hell and Back" role play idea.   
   28-04-2015   
   Update   
   Finished a long list of changes and idea overhauls.   

Date
Type
Change
   22-01-2016   
   Update   
   Updated preferred role play lists.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:03:33 AM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - From Another Dimension
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »

From Another Dimension

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, "epic" adventure.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Adventure, Horror
  • Compatible Settings: Fantasy
  • My Role: We would have equal responsibilities in terms of plot, NPCs and setting.
  • Your Role: We would have equal responsibilities in terms of plot, NPCs and setting.
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must possess certain skills that would be useful throughout the course of an adventure like this (whether that be physical prowess, mastering of a great many lore subjects or magical talents and more).
  • Possible Character Ideas: Mage, Paladin, Rogue, Warrior, all the classics and more.
  • Tags: [VAN], [BON] (light), [EXO], [MxF]

Concept
The world is rife with conflict and war. Unbeknownst to narrowminded, squabbling nations, a far greater threat lurks just beyond the fabric that separates one place in time and space, from another. A god-like menace - unfathomable and more akin to a concept than a deity or creature - is plotting to cross over. This being has conquered its own realm, enslaving its population for so many centuries that they have been warped and have lost all sense of individualism. Now it has set its sights upon this realm, but the process to tear that which holds it back is a long and complex one. First it will manipulate the people in the world sensitive enough to heed its whispers. It will drive them mad before enslaving them to its will and using them to further its goals. Then, once enabled, agents from its own world that are capable of surviving in ours will be sent out to do his bidding. When the final step dawns, it would enter with all its might and all would be doomed. Should it reach us, there can be no rescue or victory. Therefor, it must be stopped before it can pass through the barrier holding it at bay. A select few know of its existence, those who study the theory of dimensions, but they are mocked by their peers. To them, their theories are somehow more preposterous than a deity of good food and laughter. Only when two individuals are warned of the impending danger and made aware of just how real it is, are events set in motion...

General Focus
The focus in this idea is good old fashioned High Fantasy adventuring. The plot is very thin for a reason: so we can add our own little twists to it. Who or what this creature is, what unimaginable horrors (such as creatures that exist in four dimensions or just two, because that is how they are represented in our world by our rules) does it command and what can be done to stop it is all up for debate. The plot can be as intricate or as simple as desired, but is best layered so as to start off rather small, to gradually boost it up to world-saving proportions. In essence, it is a simple idea, yet much can be done with it.

Other Details
As explained in the Focus, the nature of the beast and its allies can be left to crazy brainstorming. Unless he has gotten them in that realm, they cannot be dragons or trolls, but they must be beings of the same strange ilk as the type of creatures H. P. Lovecraft spawned to seem truly alien. As for my and your characters, they can be anything and anyone, just as long as their skills will benefit the group and end goal. As for the reasons why these two set out on this journey to begin with, let alone together, that must also be discussed should this idea interest you. It will heavily depend on the character in question and the nature of the enemy. It could have tried to drive them mad to influence them, but one of the scholars who knows of its existence has found a way to block it from the minds of those nearby (by using an amulet, for example). Seeing such horrific visions is surely enough to convince someone that the scholars are not mad, and that this entity needs to be stopped. Another possibility is that one or both of us play scholars who have been studying this being and its realm extensively. In this case, the reasons why they set out to put a stop to its machinations become trivial to set in stone.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:58:53 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - The Galaxy, and Beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »

The Galaxy, and Beyond

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Science fiction, semi-realistic life in space.
  • Compatible Genres: Adventure, Horror
  • Compatible Settings: Science Fiction
  • Compatible Profiles: Deacon Cairne, Fenri Vizsla, Vaska Antoli
  • My Role: We would have equal responsibilities in terms of plot, NPCs and setting.
  • Your Role: We would have equal responsibilities in terms of plot, NPCs and setting.
  • Prerequisites: Your character can be of any gender and agreed-upon race. Your character must have a reason to begin wandering the wide-open galaxy, thereby severing most, if not all, ties with their previous life.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Hardened Mercenary, Shrewd Merchant, Cunning Smuggler, Experienced Hunter, Ex-Navy Pilot
  • Tags: [VAN], [BON] (light), [EXO], [MxF], [MxM], [MxT], [MxO]

Concept
It has been centuries since mankind first began expanding into outer space. Once much of Earth had been united under one corporate banner, money and expertise became available in ample quantities and expansion was far faster than expected. Population booms on thriving colonies in the Sol system alone provided massive amounts of revenue and raw materials to fuel the colonization machine. With the discovery of a new kind of interstellar propulsion, decade-long journeys to reach potentially interesting planets became a thing of the past and the human race could begin to truly expand outward. The only downside to this near instantaneous form of travel was the massive energy it required and the very special set of circumstances that needed to be found before such a jump could be made. In their greed, corporations neglected the potential difficulties these conditions could bring and swiftly mass-produced the technology and began to create colonies so distant, that Earth became nothing but a central hub, something most people would never see. Making a jump from point A to point B can rarely be done in one go. Often, multiple stops must be made, stops that can land the craft in hostile environments. Usually these hops are planned so stops are made in systems where the next jump can be made within a matter of hours - to minimize risk. But, unfriendly alien races and other galactic dangers cause many crafts to be destroyed before this time runs out. Traveling is a risky and dangerous business. But, greed is a powerful motivator. To supply the distant colonies with the gear and necessities they need to survive, the corporations gladly hire all manner of types to handle their shipping. The further and more dangerous the drop-off point, the greater the reward. The corporations would rather hear of a rustbucket having been shot down than one of their priceless merchant cruisers. This story will tell the tale of one such vessel that is slowly starting to make a name for itself.

General Focus
This idea is heavily inspired by the Traveler RPG. As explained, humanity has expanded far and wide, but each hub of civilization is very distant from the next (in general) and long-distance travel is even more dangerous than in most sci-fi settings. Often, vessels must land to gather raw materials as well as hydrogen from various sources to refuel. Then, it must often wait for other conditions to be met before finally being able to make the next jump. The focus will naturally be on the adventures the crew has while on a vessel that is traveling in this way. The crew need not be traders, but the vessel itself will often be a transport ship of some kind. Furthermore, the focus is placed heavily on what happens when one of these midway stops goes wrong, or if the characters are accused of pinching some of the gear they were supposed to deliver (perhaps justly so, depending on the type of characters). It is a relatively realistic sci-fi setting that will likely be rather gritty, but need not be. As I said before, the best example is Traveler, which is also a fairly realistic sci-fi setting.

Other Details
The details of this universe are left to when we actually discuss it. We can leave everything open and fill in the blanks as we play, or define much of the technology, way of life, alien races and dangers in advance. Not all threats need to be inhuman, of course. Pirates and corruption are two things these individuals are bound to run into at some point. The characters can be anything from merchants, to criminals and from mercenaries to secret agents. While the basic premise would imply the characters are trying to make money by transporting goods, this need not be the only reason these people are on the road. Perhaps they have a greater mission and do not actually own their own vessel and instead spend their time hopping from one ship to another while chasing down this goal. As I said before, if you need some additional help picturing this style, have a look at the Traveler RPG system or ask away in a PM.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:59:23 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - The Eye of Ages
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »

The Eye of Ages

*This Role Play Idea is intended to be used with the following character:*

"The Eye will be mine, and mine alone. If a few peons must be sacrificed, so be it."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, mysticism and back-stabbing.
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have a strong reason to want to possess the Eye of Ages. She must be willing to at least feign working as a team.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Gifted Thief, Devoted Cleric, Sly Summoner, Powerful Warrior, Seasoned Mercenary

Concept
The Eye of Ages; an artifact of unknown origin that was found several days ago in the heart of the ruins of an old city. The Eye is a focal point of myths and legends, having been witness to each incredible conflict or war to befall reality itself. It has witnessed duels between gods, as well as the slaying of Great Beasts at the hands of mortals. Over the aeons, it has absorbed such vast quantities of power from these conflicts that they left a permanent imprint on it. Now, whoever owns the Eye and gazes into it, will experience what it had and bathe in the energies that swirl out of control. The Eye had been lost for many centuries, but with its discovery comes great responsibility. The Archivist - a mage of terrible power - has deemed the item too dangerous for anyone to use and has laid claim on it. Hidden deep within his cloaktower in the magical city of Shinraeli, behind many layers of security, both natural and supernatural, the Eye rests peacefully. But, not everyone agrees with The Archivist. There are individuals that theorize that the Eye could be manipulated to view the past, present and future; instead of causing an individual to perish from the influx of energy beyond their understanding and control. In this way, questions of the past could be answered, the present could be guarded and terrible disasters could be prevented from ever occurring. No one can lay claim to it except its owner, which means less legal means need to be used for its retrieval. One wealthy benefactor desires the Eye above all of his peers, and he has put out a call. Each of the individuals that were hired have their own reasons for wanting anything to do with this near-suicidal plot and it is clear that none of them trust each other. But, each and every one of them is dangerous in their own right. If anyone can pull off the theft or assault of a lifetime, it is them.

General Focus
The main focus of this role play is the interaction between the team members. Marek is one of them, as he believes the Eye was present during the mysterious battle that Marek has no recollection of. That, coupled with its alleged ability to look into the future, would make it invaluable to his goals of finding out what happened to him and his siblings, as well as preventing whatever he feels is coming from arriving. Others wish to safeguard the Eye's corrupting powers by taking it away from the Archivist and burying it, while others are simply in it for the money promised by their employer. Regardless, many of them are thinking of taking the Eye and never returning it to their employer as promised by the contract. And so, betrayal is a very real possibility and it is likely that precious few team members will come back alive. Your character is another one of those hired for this dangerous task. She has a set of skills that may prove vital to succeeding, but her reasons for accepting can be just about anything. The secondary focus is the mix between subterfuge and direct action. The Eye is protected beyond belief and there will need to be time spent trying to figure out what is protecting it, how to circumvent it and perhaps dealing with secondary parties that roam the city surrounding The Archivist's walled mansion. The flow and outcome of the role play is not set in stone, it is possible that Marek ends up betraying your character. It is equally likely he may consider sparing you, or even working with you to gain the Eye. It depends entirely on how this idea is defined, discussed, and played out in practice and what interactions occur. The key: Trust no one.

Other Details
The team members can be pre-decided upon if you wish one or more to have some kind of connection to your character, but otherwise we will simply make them up as we go. The style of the idea can also be altered. It is always High Fantasy, but we can focus more on horrific entities and corruption, or on typical dungeon crawling. The Archivist is basically a man who lives in his own world and pays no laws any heed. What happens within his deceptively small mansion stays there. As implied, the nature of your character is entirely up to you, any fantasy character can be plugged in with some molding, so feel free to have your imagination go wild. Your character need also not be someone with bad intentions, she could genuinely wish for the Eye to be somewhere safer. She need also not be human, so long as she has a good reason to be there and has a set of skills that could prove vital to the team.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:59:34 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - Unbridled Ambition
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:34 AM »

Unbridled Ambition

"The best way to get my revenge is to not stand alone a second time."

*TAKEN*
  • Overall Style: High Fantasy, large-scale warfare and epic adventuring.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Adventure
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have power and/or ambitions that make her a threat to the established order, would have her seeking out the aid of warriors like Creed, and she must be able to become an ally of his to the point of being able to aid him in getting revenge. She must be in a position of power (need not be literal) that requires her to have a bodyguard as well as a right-hand man.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Evil Sorceress, Vampire Lady/Countess, Warlady, Machiavellian Politician, Necromancer, Diabolist
  • Tags: [VAN], [BON] (light), [MxF]

Concept
It has been years since Creed's ill-fated attempt on his father's life. That failure remains etched in his mind and continues to guide him through life as he practices his mastery of battle with a bloodthirsty obsession. He knows it is only a matter of time before he can attempt to exact his revenge, but he is no longer convinced he can do it on his own. Age has imparted wisdom and he knows better than to continue being reckless. He highly doubts his father will show his sadistic side a second time and will instead execute Creed on the spot, should he fail again. His travels took him far, sometimes into trouble he had not expected. Having made many enemies over the years, he found himself dodging pursuit in many places. One such an encounter had forced him to defend himself against tremendous odds. While he prevailed, his strength and willpower had been sapped, and he collapsed from his wounds.

The next thing he knew, Creed had recovered, lying on a bed in the company of a woman. She was powerful and influential beyond what anyone would presume, and she desired his services. To secure his loyalty, she had used a process to heal him that had linked them together. If she dies, so does he, but the reverse is not true. She needed someone to help lead her growing army. Her goal? Nothing short of removing the current seat of power and establishing her own; all who get in her way be damned.

General Focus
The focus of this idea is threefold. First, and perhaps foremost, the interaction between the lady of power and her newly found ally. Creed is fully aware of the fact that he has no choice in the matter of helping her. She keeps him on a leash consisting of his very life. Naturally, this leaves him angered and frustrated, but if she were to secure his loyalty, she could come to consider severing the connection. When that happens, it remains to be seen what Creed would do. Second comes the slow path to power. While having already amassed a powerful fighting force, she'll need more. She'd need allies and advantages to overtake her enemies. How will she go about this? What angles can she play? And lastly, the actual strategy of the war itself. The two of them out adventuring alone, fighting in skirmishes or participating in large-scale battles are all possible and it depends on how the story goes and your preferences which of these three will occur the most. It is likely that the role play will allow romantic interests to grow between the two, but given their dark nature, this won't be the lovey-dovey kind of romance and potentially even be a form of unspoken love and affection. Words aren't always necessary, after all. Unrequited affection from Creed's side is also an option.

Other Details
The nature of the plot allows great freedom in who your character is, what her exact goal is and why she is on that path. What is more or less set is that she does have troops under her command and has some form of power, be it charisma, wealth, influence, magic or something else entirely. Something else that is set in stone is that your character needs to be dark, evil and/or ambitious. To what extent her morality and ethics bend to justify her actions is up to you, as she can be (to put it in D&D terms) anything from Chaotic Evil to Lawful Evil. Evil is also a matter of perspective, so it's perfectly possible for her reasons to be justifiable. For example, the current ruler of the land could be a corrupt monster who keeps up a gentle appearance to keep the public under his thumb. The type of her army and her troops depends on your character's nature. A necromancer would command undead, while a politicians would have mercenaries and bandits to fight for them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:59:45 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - A Chosen Few
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:58:46 AM »

A Chosen Few

"I refuse to be hunted down like an animal. I refuse to end up a slave to this monstrosity. I choose to fight; and I no longer stand alone!"

*TAKEN*
  • Overall Style: Fantasy adventure, facing an overpowering foe.
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be hunted by the same entity that stalks Kain. Your character must be in the position to be able to travel to find a way to save themselves (at the start of the role play or from the first few scenes onward).
  • Possible Character Ideas: Tormented Paladin, Skilled Rogue, Stoic Duelist, Repentant Cultist, Chosen Mentalist, Mage.
  • Tags: [VAN], [EXO], [MxF], [MxM]

Concept
For many years now, Kain has been hunted by a being of unfathomable power. For unknown reasons, it has set its sights on him and has been the cause of a great deal of pain and grief, even having taken his loved one from him. While Kain has learned how to more effectively evade its agents and to recognize the signs of its influence and activity, he is still constantly under the threat of attack. While the attacks seem to come with lethal ferocity, they are also aimed towards capture, instead of death. Unbeknownst to Kain, he isn't the only one being hunted by this being, but he is one of the few who consistently avoids it. After being approached by an enigmatic figure in a feverish dream, Kain has learned that the being has plans for the individuals it harvests from their plane of existence. What those plans are is anyone's guess, but it can hardly spell much good. On his way to meeting this person, Kain comes across another under attack by its agents. After a short battle, it seems he has run into someone in the same predicament as he is. There is strength in numbers - Kain realizes this - and so they both set out to find answers.

General Focus
The main focus of this role play is the search for a way to either defuse the mysterious entity’s influence in the character’s plane of existence, or potentially defeat it entirely. The latter may be unlikely, depending on the nature of the entity we settle on. Whatever the details, it is a dark and terrible being. It comes from a world not our own, a place in between existences which it dominates like a god, despite not actually being one. This search can be handled in a variety of ways, but it will likely consist of traveling to all manner of places, guided by the advice of the man who had contacted Kain, and your character, before. Another focus can be how both characters deal with the things they have lost since the hunt on their lives began and whether or not they believe their lives will ever take on any semblance of normality again.

Other Details
This role play idea grants plenty of freedom and ‘GM’ing’ can easily be split between individuals or handled by a single player. Well worked out NPCs are probably necessary to add some additional interaction whenever the two of them are searching for any information that can help them along their path. You are completely free in who or what your character is, as long as they are hunted by the same entity for the same reason. The moment they encounter Kain, could be the first time she has ever been attacked by its agents, or perhaps she has been evading them for even longer than Kain has; the choice is yours. What their abilities are is also entirely up to you. Complementary to what Kain can do is always a plus, but it is by no means a necessity. They must be able to hold their own in a fight in some way, shape or form though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:07:14 AM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Ideas - Bloodied Closure
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »

Bloodied Closure

"She slipped my grasp once, and it ruined my life. I won't let that happen again!"

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Superhero team-up of two unlikely allies against a mutual enemy on-the-run.
  • Compatible Settings: Superhero (realistic or not, gritty or not)
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must possess a deeply personal reason to be hunting down the same mage Midas is.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Scarred Bruiser, Breakneck Speedster, Sly Energy Manipulator, Hyper-Intelligent Telekinetic

Concept
Midas has been captured. It took embarrassingly long for someone to finally corner the sly, sneaky alchemist. But, overwhelming odds have forced him to concede. After the heroes go their separate way, Midas is left in the custody of a single heroine. However, he is not turned over to the authorities. Instead, he finds himself chained to a seat in an undisclosed location, being questioned and interrogated on the matter of a single villainess. Only when the word mage enters the conversation, and photos of the person are shown to him, does Midas realize he and the heroine share a common enemy. He relays what he knows, and an alliance is formed. The mage in question had defeated him once before, unleashing a curse upon him that stifled his powers considerable - which cost him his beloved in turn. The heroine has been slighted just as much, if not worse, by the dangerous mage and seeks uncharacteristically intense revenge. Their partnership is a strained one. But, as they say, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Together, they hope to corner and capture the mage before she manages to finish what she has started in the city - using thugs and local crime lords as muscle and influence. Because, once she skips town again, there would be no telling how much time would pass before either of them get another crack at her. She must pay for her crimes; finally.

General Focus
The focus of this role play is twofold. First and foremost, it is a tale of revenge. Both characters have been deeply wounded by this twisted mage who has recently resurfaced. Other heroes/villains doubt your character's motivations and do not wish to help her in a vendetta, leaving her all alone. A variety of leads took her to Midas' doorstep for information, but he was less than cooperative. At least, until the description of the mage was dropped. Midas' entire life has begun to revolve around restoring his powers, but whether there really is a curse on him or not, only finding that mage will give him the answers he seeks. Your character will have similarly intense motivations that may push her morality as far it can go without breaking; if not further. The second is a focus on how our two characters will interact. Midas is not a villain, per se, but he's still not an easy person to get along with. There will be headbutting, and there will be disputes.

Other Details
The details of your character are entirely up to you. As stated before, she must have a clearly defined, and very intensely personal reason for hunting the mage as feverishly as Midas has been. But her powers are up to you to decide on. The best route to take would be to have her complement Midas nicely, but that is by no means a restriction. The mage herself can also be discussed in greater detail, as she has been purposely left vague. Midas' profile contains a few more details on her her and her personality, but most of it all is up in the air. We can also customize what her hired allies in the city are and what her eventual goal is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:00:03 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - Taking Power
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »

Taking Power

"Time to take back what I was denied. This time, I will not be alone."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, demonic machinations and power struggles.
  • Prerequisites: Your character must possess a skill and reason for wanting to help Belial in his goals. This setup is too elaborate for being manipulated to be the sole reason your character sides with him.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Demon Warrior, Succubus/Incubus, Antipaladin, Classic Fantasy Classes.

Concept
It has been centuries since Belial was cast out of his homelands and left to fend for himself. Shunned as a weakling by his own kind, mocked as a brute by the devils, he has no place anywhere. His only hope is to regain what is his by birthright. The only way to achieve this is to overthrow his father and mother and take their place, also ending the lives of those who would question his supremacy and have gotten the titles of prince in his absence. Despite having found his own talents and honed them to aid him in his survival, he cannot do this alone. His pride won't let him do anything but engage his father in a one-on-one battle of strength or wits, which ever seems the better option at the time. But the same does not apply to all the other obstacles in his way. Fortunately, his family has many enemies; in his own realm and in others. Belial will need to gather these allies if he is to stand a chance in executing his bold plans. In a single, length swoop, he will sever the head of demonic society and plant himself on the bloody stump to reign supreme. Whomever aids him will be showered in favors or be granted whatever part of the deal made the offer too sweet to resist.

General Focus
The main focus of this role play is the enormously uphill battle against Belial's former kin. Even with additional help, his ambitious plan is nothing short of ludicrous. Whatever the reasons for the other being willing to help a demon in this situation, it must be juicy enough for them to trust Belial. They will need a mix of brawn and brains to pull this off, more likely requiring far more of the latter than the former. Only wily schemes and careful planning will allow them to succeed. Any less will spell the doom of all those involved. As implied, your character's reasons for joining Belial can be just about anything. Perhaps she is an ambitious noblewoman looking to gain the support of a demon for her own plans. She knows that if she puts him on the throne, she can trust him enough to at least help her temporarily with her own ambitions. Or, perhaps she is a demon in his father's court that has grown utterly sick of the sight of him and desires someone better on the seat, someone she might be able to control? Another important theme is whether or not Belial can be trusted. Interaction will make it clear that the alliance is a shaky one and the slightest bit of dissent can ruin everything, forcing Belial to make promises he would normally never consider making, and actually try to stick to them.

Other Details
Much of this idea is malleable. Important NPCs include his parents and others who covet the throne. Allies can be introduced and discussed beforehand, or it could just be the struggle of two against many. You are quite free in your character, but she must possess tremendous talents in some fields to be useful in the game the demons are playing. These talents are definitely not limited to just strength in battle or knowledge of the arcane; in fact, I urge you to come to me with any unique idea that may pop in your mind. the most important thing to remember is that she needs a good, solid reason, to work together with a demon and essentially put a very dangerous individual in a very powerful position.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:00:19 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - The Goddess Commands
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »

The Goddess Commands

"I am no-one's puppet; but I have no compunction against them think otherwise."

*TAKEN*
  • Overall Style: Dark fantasy, deities intervening in mortal affairs.
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have some connection to the organization Vargas is tasked to take down. Either she is part of it, against it or a neutral party with a personal grudge. She must bring noteworthy, "heroic" talents to the table, be they magic, martial ability, subterfuge, influence or others.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Paladin, Mage, Undead Hunter, Member of a Priestly Order, Champion of a Different, Opposed Deity

Concept
The goddess' commands are usually simple and come only rarely. They usually involve merely spreading her influence through the magic Vargas wields. Now that he has returned from a long slumber, he once again receives visions from the deathly deity, urging him to rid the world of an organization that has stood for centuries. An entire sect dedicated to another deity, one that directly opposes her, continues to spread teachings and gain control over entire countries through their machinations. Not evil nor good, they seek only to control everything and limiting the influence the Spider Goddess has over the world. Vargas dislikes acting so openly, but he has no choice but to obey and sets out to try and topple an enemy much bigger than he is. Still weakened from his sleep, he needs minions, servants and time to regain what was lost. Until then, many things threaten his mission. Naturally, there are many that stand to gain from ousting the organization, or at least knocking it down a few pegs. Other avatars of other deities, those that want to see authority back in the hands of the people instead of the clergy, or those that were harmed during its rise to power and continue to hold a grudge. These are all allies Vargas would not be expecting to make...

General Focus
The focus of this idea is much more flexible than most others. It rest mostly on the conflict of both deities. They use their worldly pawns to further their goals in the celestial realm, causing discord and problems among the mortals for their own gain. Anyone caught in the crossfire is doomed. The only difference between the two is that Vargas' deity has had significantly less success than her opponent. This interaction between the two gods can be as significant and prominent as you wish, and the gods can be either actual beings or just religious concepts made manifest in the minds of their believers (more realistic approach). Your character can be someone who inadvertently gets involved, wishes to oppose the same organisation Vargas battles and is able to justify helping a necromancer, or is actually a part of the opposing faction but has seen what evil both deities represent and realizes some kind of balance must be created and maintained. She may even have been slighted on a personal level through loss or dangerous machinations. Whether or not the cult commits atrocities also depends on your preference and how dark and grim you wish the play to be. Whatever the choice, they will always be at least somewhat misguided, but may still represent the better of two evils.

Other Details
NPCs can be as numerous as you wish, or the cast can be kept limited to focus on interaction between the main characters. Your own goals are also entirely up for debate, as your character could even attempt to convince Vargas that both gods' should be kept to the barest of minimums, as an imbalance would cause nothing but hardship for anyone involved, including himself. Depending on how the role play unfolds, she could very well be successful as Vargas' faith is of a selfish and conflicting nature as it is. An option for their opponent and a reason why the other deity is more successful could be that it has already located most of its Chosen and uses those powerful agents to great effect, while Vargas remains his goddess' only one, and a reluctant servant at that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:00:29 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - Toppling NEIRIN
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »

Toppling NEIRIN

"They have reveled in their filth for long enough. It's time to settle the score."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Gritty superhero battle against overwhelming odds.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama
  • Compatible Settings: Modern Day
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have a clearly defined, personal reason to go after the mega-corporation NEIRIN, to the point of willing to work with an established villain.
  • Possible Character Ideas: High-Powered Super Heroine, Information Expert, Betrayed NEIRIN Operative

Concept
NEIRIN is a corporation that has its hands in just about all types of shady dealings imaginable. From arms dealing to selling classified information, and from illegal research projects to inciting civil wars for personal gain. The corporation is massive, with many of its branches unseen by the public eye and totally unknown. Run by six mysterious individual, it seems like an impossible task to topple the global economical powerhouse. Only few people know of its wrongdoings, so it falls on but a handful to take on a private military force armed with weapons and technology that not even the armies of first world countries have ever even laid eyes on. One of the individuals that has taken it upon himself to try and stop the organisation is Black Arc. He is no hero, however, and goes to any length to try and stop his nemesis, killing anyone that gets in his way, whether they are involved or not. Going beyond being a vigilante or an anti-hero, he is very much a villain. And yet, he is not beyond redemption. Perhaps when he reaches his goal, he will see the error in his ways? Perhaps all he needs is to be forced into a partnership to realize that he need not sacrifice everything in a personal crusade to see NEIRIN, and then corruption across the globe, burn; and the world with it.

General Focus
The main focus is the uphill battle against a corporation that has unimaginable power over the world's economy and politics. A different, small organization is trying to stop the corporation as well, and Black Arc somehow finds himself involved with them. There he meets an ally that has taken a far purer and less collateral damage-filled path to stopping NEIRIN. It will involve fighting NEIRIN operatives, as well as sneaking into and out of their facilities with information that will hopefully cripple its power base; only to go after the head of the monster next. The second focus rests mostly on your character's attempts (if you wish to include such an element) to get Black Arc to control his anger and rage. Black Arc is a villain that isn't beyond redemption, but it won't be easy to make him change, especially not if it is your character's intention afterwards to get him to serve the necessary jail time to make up for what he has done in the past.

Other Details
This role play can be as dark as you want it to be. Black Arc is intended for grittier superhero settings to begin with, but this can easily be cranked up to include very dark themes and corruption to the level where NEIRIN becomes a truly despicable foe. NPCs can be discussed in any number, but can also just be created and placed into the story as it is written. Your character can be anything from a heroine trying to fight NEIRIN by herself, a villain seeing the corporation as a major obstacle to a former member of the organization that has become disgruntled somehow. The details are entirely up to you, but she must have a clear reason to want to stop NEIRIN so much that she is willing to cooperate with someone who may be the exact opposite of anyone she would normally partner with. Reasons as to why she can't find help elsewhere can be tailored to suit the characters and specifics of the plot.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:56:43 AM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - A Distant Land
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »

A Distant Land

"It seems you'll have to put your preconceptions of the Spider aside. For now, our lives depend on each other."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Exploration, survival and making a Home away from home.
  • Compatible Settings: Eastern Fantasy, Legends of the Five Rings
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must hail from an oriental culture, though this culture need not be Japanese-inspired. Your character must be reasonable enough to realize cooperation is a must for survival.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Samurai-ko, Skilled Scout, Marooned Sailor, Lost Survivalist

Concept
Daigotsu Yoshihiro's latest assignment had been a simple one. He was to accompany a Spider clan courtier on a diplomatic mission to one of the strongholds of another clan. Because the Spider are still very much distrusted, only he and his charge were allowed onto a vessel that was to escort them to their destination. On board were a variety of individuals, some of whom were samurai for the opposing clan. Despite sticking close to the coast, as going out further to sea was not necessary, a powerful storm whipped up and before long, they were dragged under. When Yoshihiro came to, he found himself to be one of the few survivors of the shipwreck. His charge was dead, so he had failed his mission. A brief glance around the surroundings quickly established that they were no longer home. The coastal line didn't look familiar at all and when night fell, it became apparent that the stars in the heavens were very different as well. With no idea where they were, the survivors needed to find civilization, or at least a good place to camp and forage for food. If their stay was to be temporary, they needed to get the fundamentals in place first, before anything else.

General Focus
The main focus of this role play is the survival of two very different individuals, perhaps even normally opposed in conflict, in a distant land. The shipwreck took them to a different continent where nothing is known to them and they must somehow work together to survive. Whether or not they are actually able to return home or will be stuck there forever is up for discussion, as well as whether there are any other humans or sentient creatures there. The second focus lies in the two characters needing to look passed their opposing viewpoints to focus on working together. Neither can survive without the other and they should realize this early on.

Other Details
Much of the new world they have discovered can be customized; primarily its nature. It can just be another continent, or they could have somehow been transported to a different dimension or plane altogether. Its wild- and plantlife are totally alien to the two characters. Your character must be someone who had a reason to be on that vessel, though the nature of that reason is up to you. She must harbor great resent towards the Spider clan and have some sort of skill that would be useful in their predicament. She must be reasonable enough to look beyond their difference to establish at least a begrudging alliance. However, it is up to you as to how far she is willing to go to trust Yoshihiro. The intensity and nature of her resentment is also your decision to make, though it will greatly color interactions early on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:00:46 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - Returning Home
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »

Returning Home

"There's one injustice out of all of them that I have to set right before I die; and I'm not waiting any longer to see it done."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Making a life on a planet rife with problems, dramatic sci-fi.
  • Compatible Settings: Sci-Fi, Traveler RPG
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have found her way to Thrace at least a few years before the start of the role play, or could have been born and raised there. Your character must have vested interests in changing the status quo on the troubled planet.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Corporate Miner, Local Official, Hired Mercenary, Mistreated Altruist
  • Tags: [VAN], [EXO], [MxF]

Concept
Thrace is a world covered in difficulty, suffering and problems. A mining world, its people are exploited by the corporations that run the businesses at every turn. Cities are often the victims of the private wars between the major players, and hired mercenaries and criminals are allowed to run free, causing all manner of problems for the local populace. Many years ago, Deacon left his homeworld Thrace to try and find a better life for himself. The loss of his sister and the state of the world had cut him deeply and he knew that, if he stayed, he'd only descend into criminality as well. But now he has returned. In search of a meaningful way to spend his last decade alive, he has decided to come back to try and make a difference on his homeworld. There are people he needs to avenge and people he needs to take down. For this, he'll need help and he knows it. This is where an old friend comes in. Not having seen her for many years, it is surprising to say the least that she is back on Thrace as well, or simply never left. Together, they will tackle the problems before them, and hope to come out on top.

General Focus
The main focus of this idea is how both characters react to coming home to find the place in an even worse state than the one they left it in (if yours had even ever left to begin with). The planet has more than its fair share of problems in the form of rising crime, corporations fighting, mercenaries running amok, territorial and dangerous wildlife and more. The troubles of the galaxy seem so distant that they fade away and only the desert world remains. Other elements of focus can be anything you wish to add, from horror in the form of horrible creatures, or drama in the form of personal loss and suffering.

Other Details
Your character's nature, goals and personality are all up to you, as long as she has deep roots on Thrace. Either she was born there, spent a great deal of her life on its surface, or has some other reason to be intrinsically linked to the planet. With the world on a downhill slope, she too must feel the pressure to try and save it, and the innocents on its surface. Her relationship to Deacon is also entirely up for discussion. She could be anything from an old lover to just a very dear friend; so long as the connection is strong enough to warrant an immediate partnership. They need not be a good team right off the bat (or ever), but it would be entertaining to have them have quite a lot of synergy (perhaps they always did?). Last, but not least, the planet Thrace is completely customizable, though I will supply the original profile of the world below; but most parts of it can be changed to fit the needs of the role play. It is a guideline only.

Thrace
Size: 8 [13,000 km, 1.0gs]
Atmosphere: 6 [Standard, 1.03 Pressure]
Temperature: 10 [Hot, 66’ avg]
Hydrographics: 0 [Desert world, 5%]
Population: 7 [10,000,000+]
Government: 1 [Company/Corporation]
Law Level: 6
Starport: 9 [B/Scout/Research/Imperial Consulate]
Technology Level: 10
Trade Code: De Ri [Desert/Rich]
Culture: Sexist, Nexus, Unusual Customs: Trade

Description
Thrace is a Terra-sized planet orbiting a large, green sun called Denou. It is an inhospitable planet that orbits its sun consistently close, causing surface temperatures to be as hot as 80’ around the equator. Direct exposure to the sun in these regions can kill in a matter of hours or less. A pure desert world, vegetation is nearly non-existent, with small patches of green centered around the few deposits of water than can be found on the dry planet. Cloud-cover is completely absent and a thick atmosphere causes the massive heat on the planet’s surface to be kept from escaping, causing nights to be terribly warm as well. Geographically, the planet is one big field of sand, ash, dust and dunes, offering beautiful vistas in all directions, but offering death at the same time. Certain regions are littered with crevices and rocky outcroppings overlooking massive drops to canyons below. Each of these hazards are often hidden from sight by the heat waves on the horizon, and more than one traveler has accidentally stumbled into a crevice, breaking a leg and dying alone in very unpleasant circumstances.

What little wildlife has survived on Thrace is dangerous, to say the least. The smallest creatures secrete deadly poisons in all manner of unpleasant ways. Some through teeth, some through spikes on jagged carapace. These creatures kill through venom, as there are few food sources that can sustain them that they can overpower in any other way. Most of these venoms are highly toxic and lethal to humans as well. Carrion eaters exist as well, but none of these are airborne. Notable examples are types of scorpion-like and snake-like creatures, but more exotic varieties exist.

Strange, worm-like creatures the size of large dogs swarm underneath the sands. This Thracian variety of Burrowers remain silent and unmoving until they pick up the scent of decay, quickly burrowing towards it to devour them. These omnivores have been known to swallow dead travelers, equipment and all. They can remain well fed for over a month on a single corpse the size of a dog or bigger, which means they have been known to eat one another as well. On the rare occasions they’ve attacked living prey, they have been found relatively harmless. Their teeth are blunt, meant only to hook, not shred, and leave little more than a minor injury that rarely infects if treated properly. They have strong bodies however and won’t let go without a fight. A good shot or a stab with a knife would make them retreat instantly, or die. The actual number of worms is unknown and no one has bothered to research their breeding methods. It is known however that they rank in the tens of billions, every square kilometer of the sandy surface of the planet containing plenty in competition of scarce food.

The most dangerous opposition comes in the form of a race of hairless, gorilla-like creatures, called Thracian Apes, that dwell in the caverns underneath the heated surface of Thrace. They are non-sentient beyond primitive instinct and are fiercely territorial. The size of a grown human man, they have the strength to snap a man’s neck with a hard pound and have their vital body regions covered in a dark blue, rock-like carapace. Perpetually subterranean, these aggressive beasts have lost most of their natural eye sight and rely on other sensors. They are believed to have a type of sonar comparable to bats, to navigate caves. They use hearing and smell to find intruders. Despite their aggressiveness and fierce appearance, these creatures do not eat meat, or even plants. They have been seen devouring the strange crystal formations in Thrace’s caverns whole, somehow managing to draw sustenance from it. These crystals regrow overtime, quite fast even, and have no known uses for humans. Malnourished Thracian Apes seem to start losing their carapace and other harder elements of their bodies, suggesting they require certain compounds in the crystals to create these rock-like extremities.

Life on Thrace is limited to hubs of population, where the ground is paved and reinforced, and see-through domes protect the city from the erratic weather, dangerously high temperature, and the brunt of the exposure to the sun. Violent sandstorms and venomous insects no longer pose a threat inside these domes, and secure transport routes are maintained between cities through either underground tunnels, or sturdy vehicles that depart only when the weather is cleared at listening posts. Gates into the cities are well-protected, the corporations’ rivalries making sure they do not like to see uninvited guests wandering onto their property. Massive mining installations and heavy industrial factories to process the various mined ores dot the planet’s surface and are one of the only real job opportunities apart from general services (such as selling food), working in the corporate administration or mercenary dirty work. Despite having been colonized over four centuries ago, Thrace’s underground caverns have barely been explored. The sheer abundance in valuable raw materials has taken away the need to search for them, opening almost any hole in the ground results in a wealth of material to sift through. Thracian Apes have also made progress in certain parts difficult. While these creatures normally live alone or in packs up to a size of 4, certain large groups have been found in the past, with numbers reaching up to 500 in a single network of caverns. Expeditions into these caverns are extremely dangerous, and no corporation is willing to undertake it yet, no matter what riches they may find.

History
Thrace was discovered over four centuries ago by an exploration team funded by the Empire. The planet was deemed little more than a waste of time for colonization. Following proper procedure, the team landed on its surface and began a more detailed study. To their surprise, they found that a great many secrets were hidden beneath its sands. Initial scans showed large quantities of valuable and useful ores present in the soil, but the team lacked the scanning equipment for deeper readings. So they flagged the discovered world as hazardous, but lucrative. Especially the latter word caught the eye of several influential and wealthy corporations. At first, the world was claimed by the Empire, who planned to use its orbit for refueling stations for vessels passing through the busy sector, and for research stations set to monitor the sun’s activities. The corporations began to apply pressure, each claiming that the planet itself was richer than it seemed, and they hoped to convince the Empire to put their claim up for bid, allowing the corporations to vie for control. Imperial authorities instead decided to grant the planet to whoever mounted an expedition first. They did not care about the consequences as long as they received their fair share, which they still do today.

4 corporations had the time and money to spend on such an expedition, and each sent vessels to the system with haste, hoping to catch Thrace before others could. In truth, each company had already sent survey teams without the Empire’s knowledge, performing deep scans and revealing the sheer amount of raw materials buried in its soil. Ores, metals, precious gems, compounds, gasses, and more. The possibility for netting a fortune was well worth the risk alienating market competitors and allies alike. 3 vessels arrived nearly simultaneously, however, and disputes among the captains began, who tried to decide what to do about this situation. The Empire was brought in on the discussion in hope of resolving the situation. Imperial officials, however, did not care about what happened to the planet so long as its orbit was kept free. This left the corporations with no choice but to divide the planet amongst themselves, somehow. For over 5 months, negotiations continued, until the fourth corporation, the latecomer, decided to take matters into its own hands, and began the construction of its first city. From there, the conflict spiraled out of control.

At first, the conflict was merely an economic one. With cutthroat business practices and corporate espionage being the favored weapons in one-upping the others. None of the corporations acknowledged the authority of the other, and no one recognized any piece of land as being anything but fair game. It was first come, first serve; it was chaos. All because no agreements had been made beforehand. Without the stability to properly set up mining operations, all four companies began to lose money, finding the investment had become a black hole instead of a chest of gold. It was then that the conflict became a bloody one. Mercenaries were hired, first as protection against “accidents” in the cities and facilities of rivals, then as aggressive patrols who were called in to keep watch over the territory their employers claimed was theirs. Naturally, everything was still up for grabs, and all hell broke loose. An economic war began, with the four corporations pouring money and resources into hiring mercenaries and battleships. The planet turned into a volatile war zone.

Open conflict was common, with lives being lost in large battles across the desert sands or in the skies above. Most of the time, however, the war was a cold one, in which skirmishes were everyday affairs. None of the corporations had the talent and know-how to perform true military actions, so they resorted to harassing and terrorizing the people who worked for their rivals. Cities were razed and rebuilt. Installations were blown up and put back in place. Lives were lost, while fat-cats got the big paychecks from the riches being mined from beneath the sands. After a full century of constant conflict, the corporations realized that they could not keep this up. They could not maintain such uneasiness as it became virtually impossible to get talented people to sign on for work on Thrace, each one fearing for their lives. Only hopelessly broke individuals signed the transfer papers, and these weren’t always the best, brightest or most trustworthy employees. The four sat around the table once more, and a proverbial truce was signed (it had not been an actual war, after all) and the rule was instated that every scrap of land that was claimed by a corporation was theirs to manage, until abandoned and could no longer be contested without proper legal reasons. A deal was also sealed that prohibited corporations from claiming land they did not need, leaving over 95% of the planet unclaimed. Today, 90% of Thrace still belongs to no-one, due to the slow expansion of population centers and mining operations.

These legal documents were binding, but not if one didn’t find out you broke the deal… Criminal elements, mercenaries, hitmen, hired guns, saboteurs, bounty hunters and other unsavory types have been used from then until present day to thwart the competition. Thrace has become a utopia for anyone who isn’t afraid to get their hands morally dirty. While there have been very few open conflicts in the past centuries, many people have still lost their lives by being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Corporations vie for control of valuable land, or simply wish to shame their opposition. Entire mining operations have been blown up in “accidents”, and small outpost have been massacred by “out-of-control gangmembers” or “broke mercenaries”. Most of these are lies, of course, and everyone knows it, but open accusations remain rare because of the lack of proof. And if someone openly pulls another trigger, it would make all the previous agreements null and void, costing everyone money. This results in an endless cycle of revenge.

Today, Thrace is a hotbed of criminal and corporate activity. Life of the common man is limited to getting up in the morning, going to work in the city or the mines, coming home and feeling lucky to still be alive. Many hunters, criminals and mercenaries come to Thrace looking for work, and hang around the cities, especially the most run-down, ghetto-like cities, and often causing friction between corporate security forces who try to maintain some form of law and order. Despite the shady dealings, the law is applied very strictly on Thrace, wherever there is a presence of course. The corporations like to give the outward appearance to its citizens that they take care of them, cherish their employees, while bombarding their houses from time to time…

Factions
StelCo: StelCo is the abbreviation of Stellar Corporation, a company that is a direct subsidiary of the Empire itself. A fairly new institution, it has replaced the previous caretakers of Thrace’s starport after allegations of corruption and fraud were proven and the company was condemned for its deplorable conduct. StelCo does not interfere with Thrace’s affairs and maintains a purely neutral (and very lucrative) policy. Thrace’s starport is neutral grounds and any fights the corporations have to settle will be dealt with elsewhere, but not on their watch. StelCo owns many of the institutions on both Thrace’s HighPort and DownPort, supplying the funds necessary to maintain a constant stream of shuttles heading from the orbiting starport down to the planet’s surface. These funds come from revenue gained in its various endeavors and of business conducted on the starport.

Influence: 0 – As a purely neutral party, StelCo has no influence on Thrace. Inside the starports, however, their word is law, so to speak.

Muron Cooperative: The Muron Cooperative was one of the three first corporations to arrive at Thrace. Moreover, after centuries on the planet’s surface, they still claim adamantly that they are the ones who got there first, and the ones who began to cultivate the planet before any of its rivals. It’s a rich claim, one that the others have already dropped simply because no one in their right minds still believes it. The Muron Cooperative is a multi-billion credit company that is a major player in the weapons manufactory and R&D market. It is the source behind some of the more popular pistols and rifles in the sectors it is active in, and even has a few running contracts with the Empire. The Cooperative maintains a steady foothold on Thrace, having an abundance of mining installations on the northern hemisphere. Many of these are dangerously close to the equator, where temperatures are unbearable. Fortunately, the expenses of outfitting the cities and installations with higher grade domes have been fully compensated over the years by the wealthy yield of materials dug up from the massive canyons and craters located all around their territory. The Muron Cooperative’s mining facilities are all built into the rock faces of large canyons that have split open after seismic activity ages ago. While others have to dig down to find their prize, the Cooperative merely has to lower itself into the canyon and dig into the walls to chip off chunks of precious materials. The Cooperative’s main focus on the planet is to gather ores for the manufacturing of light, durable metals used in many of its firearms. Fortunately, these elements are abundantly present in the canyons. The Cooperative is considered ambiguous when it comes to the treatment of their citizens. Law and order is strictly enforced and some of its cities are considered safe (as far as you can be safe on Thrace). However, its mercenaries always sport a suspicious amount of heavy weapons known to have been conceived by its own R&D teams… Muron’s interests on the planet are regulated directly by its board of directors, one of which has taken up a permanent residence on the planet, overseeing the Cooperative’s activities from the safety of his gaudy mansion in one of Thrace’s largest cities. The Cooperative is a very aggressive company who is known for being direct and to the point, but relaxed right now because of its comfy position. It has poor relations with the Neirin Foundation, who take it upon themselves to raid Muron stockpiles continually, always eluding capture through some dodgy excuse.

Influence: 8 – The Muron Cooperative has a tight grasp on its territory, using the cloak of the law to make sure everyone bows their heads and listens to their will. This artificial safety has garnered them great support with other inhabitants of Thrace, to the dismay of its rivals.

Neirin Foundation: The Neirin Foundation is a relatively unknown company that makes a living as a jack-of-all-trades in the computer business. It has developed wildly varying packets of software for all sorts of purposes, designed and produced powerful computer systems as well as user-friendly handhelds, manufactured chips both old and cutting edge, and more. Why would they be present on Thrace? A key component for some of its chips can be found in ridiculously abundant amounts beneath Thrace’s sandy dunes. The Foundation had previously been forced to buy these components and materials at high prices from cutthroat competitors, putting a serious damper on its ability to make a profit off some of its more popular chips and memory devices. This sparked Neirin’s venture to reach Thrace first, and cultivate the components they need before anyone else beats them to the punch. Sadly, the Foundation was the last one to reach Thrace out of the four candidates, immediately supplying a humiliating slap to the face for any claims they made. The Foundation is known for its dodgy business practices and allegations of fraud and corruption have vanished in thin air more than once in the past, sometimes through witnesses “accidentally” dying in the comfort of their homes. This is indicative of the fact that the Foundation will stop at nothing to get what they want, and they have a surprising amount of contacts in that sector of space, allowing them a greater freedom when it comes to semi-legal, or blatantly illegal activities. The Foundation was the company responsible for sparking the bloody conflicts between the four, being the first to disregard the negotiations and make landfall on Thrace. It was also the first to turn its mercenary guards into assault troopers that lay siege to several installations close to the territory claimed by the Neirin Foundation. By the end of the conflict, Neirin’s relations with the other corporations, and the people of Thrace, had soured to the point where criminal elements had to be called in to maintain order in their territory. To date, this remains the same. Most of Neirin’s installations are located in what is called the Crystal Flats, a massive expanse of sand as flat as a billiard table, located in the southern hemisphere and almost the size of Africa. Why winds have not yet formed the trademark hills normally found in deserts is unknown, but below the layer of sand lies a wealth of crystals and components that the Foundation requires. They also come across other ores and materials that it gleefully sells to other companies that require them. Neirin cities and installations are trademarked by the way they have been sunk into the ground, thick walls keeping the sand from collapsing into it, and only domes visible over the top of the sand flats. This has transformed the Crystal Flats into a strange vista of sandy plains broken by the occasional glittering dome in the distance. The Foundation maintains regular contacts with criminal syndicates and has a great many open contracts with unsavory mercenaries willing to do their dirty work. The Neirin Foundation is still run by descendants of the family that founded it. It is a cousin of the Foundation’s figurehead that leads the expedition. They have an open enmity with the Muron Cooperative, but by no means has friendly relations with Altos or DG&A, as they too are sometimes the victims of Foundation raids. The Neirin Foundation is a sneaky company, finding that the underhanded approach is the best approach and that having a crack team of lawyers helps protect you from any fall-out one might get from botched missions.

Influence: 4 – The Neirin Foundation has low influence with the people because of the atrocities committed during recent, and distant, conflicts. The Foundation keeps its streets under wraps through the bribery of officials and the hiring of thugs and criminals. As an extra reward, the Foundation often turns a blind eye to rape, murders and thefts committed by these same individuals.

Altos Heavy Industries: Altos Heavy Industries is a powerhouse of its market. The company focuses entirely on the mining, processing and distributing of a wide birth of materials. From metals, alloys and plastics to industrial diamonds and engine fuel, they find it, mine it and ship it out. Altos is known throughout the galaxy, but not necessarily by name. They have no inventions to their name, no innovations, no big shot accomplishments, but they have steadily become one of the most prominent suppliers of everything heavy industries require. Shipyards, factories, weapons manufacturers, and more all rely on Altos’ steady supply of material. Thrace is one of its more recent acquisitions, but the desert planet has more than paid for itself through the richness of its soil. When it was discovered, and the bidding request to the Empire was turned down in favor of a “first come, first serve” approach, Altos was one of the three companies who first sprang into action and made it to Thrace in time. To the company’s dismay, it had arrived simultaneously with two others, but instead of derailing into pointless bickering, which was bad for business, Altos was the company to first suggest sitting around the table and discussing the fate of the planet. The company has since maintained very good relations with the people of Thrace, in no small part due to their attempts to minimize civilian casualties during the many conflicts. To claim that a company so big would be strict with its morals would be naïve, for they have done their fair share of despicable things. But contrary to the others, Altos Heavy Industries takes bystanders into account when discussing the risks of their next move, instead of heading into it, guns blazing. Despite its more humane practices, Altos had the most funds to pour into this project out of the four vying corporations. They hired the most mercenaries, the biggest guns, and they took on the biggest targets. They are also fiercely opposed to the criminal elements that have popped up across Thrace, infesting cities and installations with corruption and decadence. Their active attempts to dislodge the syndicates have met with failure, but their few successes and tenacity have put them on these criminals’ blacklists. Security around Altos corporate buildings is tight, protecting those within from the many terrorist attacks that have been directed at them over time. The Thracian Nomads also favor them as their target, as misinformation from powerful crime lords have led them to believe Altos responsible for some of the greater atrocities committed by the Neirin Foundation and DG&A. Altos industrialized areas are mostly centered around the deserts in the north-eastern hemisphere, close to DG&A’s strongholds and Muron’s canyons. Their installations dot the dunes and massive towers are used to pound or drill holes through the thick rock underneath the sand to reach the riches below. Each pounding strike is enough to shatter ears at close range, and the earth trembles with each blow. Several directors live in the cities that have struck a delicate balance between jobless mercs and intimidated civilians. The air is tense at times, and the cities are not as safe as those managed by the Muron Cooperative. Altos maintains a cold relationship with the Muron Cooperative, and poor relations with DG&A and the Neirin Foundation. They are often the target of terrorist and Nomad strikes. In short, Altos Heavy Industries is a company that tried to add some principles to shrewd business deals. This doesn’t always do the trick, and they are known for their greed, so despite everything, they can still be bought. This price is sometimes too steep to pay, however, and in those cases, Altos does what it can to restore some order and dignity to the desert planet.

Influence: 10 – Altos is popular amongst all but the most separatist of individuals. Mercenaries and company-hired security forces keep its installations safe from harm, but being the target of many terrorists makes the atmosphere on the streets tense.

DG&A: DG&A, the abbreviation of the last names of its three founding members Derg, Genthral and Ael, is an influential company in the development and construction of components for capital ships and transport vessels. A relatively new company, they were seeking a means to gain a greater foothold on the galactic scene. A lot of funds were wasted on paying for overpriced metals such as steel simply because supply was low in the sector while demand remained high. Their solution was to create a smaller, subsidiary company that would oversee the mining operations on asteroids. When news of Thrace reached them, this plan was changed in favor of cultivating the desert planet’s riches instead. DG&A was one of the three to arrive at the planet first, but found fierce competition. DG&A had the better vessel, and had even come armed, but they could not use bad publicity then as they had been in the middle of a sex scandal involving a key shareholder. With stocks plummeting, they were forced to the bargaining table. When open warfare raged between the companies, DG&A used its access to superior vessels to supply their mercenaries with drop ships, gaining a key advantage in many of the greater battles. Their inflexibility, however, caused them to lose a great many skirmishes. DG&A remained a key player throughout the battles and managed to create a firm foothold in the rocky terrain north of Altos Heavy Industries’ territory. This terrain consists of ashen wastelands and rocky landscapes reminiscent of mountains in a savannah. It is one of the few regions on the planet where some bodies of water can be found, as well as exotic wildlife. These water reserves are predominantly found in caverns close to the surface where water once trickled in and somehow still refreshes over time. The cause of this is unknown, but it fascinates scientists who come to research the occurrence. DG&A welcomes them, as they could use the added knowledge about their investment, and can charge these scientists for being allowed to use their equipment. DG&A facilities are set up at the base of these mountains, or at the mouths of deep, jagged crevices that lead to virtual treasure troves deep within the planet. DG&A security is supplied almost exclusively by contracted mercenaries, who are hired almost indefinitely. The company even has several frigates at their disposal to defend their facilities from the air against heavier assaults than the Nomands or random mercenaries can supply. The subsidiary company, called DG&A Mining and Cultivation, is run by four individuals, each of whom holds an office in the major cities and outposts of DG&A. DG&A has poor relations with the Neirin Foundation and Altos Heavy Industries, most notably due to raids from the former, and continuous open conflict with the latter. In short, DG&A is a company still trying to find its place, but it struck gold with their bid in Thrace. The company is steadily growing and more and more funds are being shifted to the desert planet, increasing their foothold. Their influence has grown in the past few decades and speculation has it that they will dethrone Altos before the century has passed.

Influence: 8 – DG&A is an influential force on Thrace as it has strived to craft the public image that it rebuilds what was destroyed. They leave out the fact that they were the ones who instigated many of the orbital bombardments the planet has had to suffer. Regardless, they enjoy great support and their leniency towards the syndicates do not make them a mark for criminals and terrorists.

Thracian Nomads: The Thracian Nomads are a collection of disgruntled workers, ex-employees, dismissed and jobless mercenaries, convicted criminals, suspected criminals and all-around unsavory types who fight for a singular goal: the liberation of Thrace. They are fiercely opposed to the reign of the corporations and actively fight to create anarchy on Thrace. Their reasons for joining the terrorist cell vary from person to person. Some people want vengeance for committed crimes while others simply want a chance to do as they see fit, with no one opposing them. The Nomads fly the banner of freedom, but are responsible for just as many deaths each year than any of the companies. Their numbers rank in the thousands or more and swell with each scandal that is revealed. Their bases are scattered across the regions made habitable by the presence of cities or larger listening posts. Sometimes they are found out and flushed out by mercenary strike forces, but in general, they remain hidden. The Nomads’ equipment and skill varies. Some barely know how to fire a gun, while others are seasoned veterans of countless operations. Regardless, they are dangerous to anyone but their own, and the leaders of the terrorist cell do not shy away from blowing up a bomb in a critical location to take out the support of an entire installation, killing hundreds for “freedom”.

Influence: 3 – Even though they supposedly fight for the people of Thrace, few of them are fooled by this mantra. They are despised even more than the Neirin Foundation simply because they are seen as traitors to the common people. At least you can expect the Foundation to try and kill you if you disobey, but your own neighbor?

Current Issues
  • The Corporations: After four centuries, the four corporations are still at one another’s throats. The deals they struck years ago still hold, and none dares break them for fear of causing more harm than good for their company in the ensuing chaos. For the people of Thrace, this issue needs to be resolved… soon. It is only a matter of time before open conflict spurs out of control once again, and knowing the grasp the companies have on local media, no one will find out about it until it’s too late. Somehow, a lasting arrangement has to be made, one which satisfies all four parties. However, that may be impossible if all four remain. One or two might have to be disposed of in order to create a sense of urgency and to remove the remaining two’s natural enemies.
  • The Nomads: The Thracian Nomads continue to swell in numbers, and continue to threaten the people of Thrace. Constant harassments and attacks have made the nomads a continuous concern. Recent successes in tearing down corporate installations have also made them more bold, believing that they are winning the war. This issue needs to be resolved soon, or there might not be much left of the people of Thrace when anarchy finally reigns…
  • Crime: Crime rates are at an all-time high. Only the Muron Cooperative is a relatively safe place to live and they do it at gunpoint with their security forces. Thugs, swindlers, gangs, corrupt bureaucrats, syndicates, crime lords, the planet has it all, and in no small amount. Turf wars have wrecked entire neighborhoods. Towns live in fear of local syndicates who demand protection money for their unseen services. The corporations do virtually nothing to drive away the lawless elements simply because cooperation with them sometimes suits their needs, and doing something about it would make them admit they got them there in the first place.
  • Territorial Apes: Large pockets of Thracian Apes have begun a large migration to caverns and tunnel networks under heavy mining from the corporations. All four of them would pay a great deal of money to anyone willing to deal with these creatures somehow. Few have been willing to tackle the task, even fewer have had any results that didn’t involve getting their spines removed. These Thracian Apes are extremely violent, and some seem to possess more intellect than their brethren, as well as even more bulk, being twice the size. Why they are migrating, no one knows, but if they’re not stopped or forced to move in a different direction, they could overwhelm several installations, especially those belonging to the GD&A, or even invade towns and cities.
  • Sector C-55: A sector of the desert planet that has been recently surveyed by Altos Heavy Industries. Enormous quantities of precious gems, some even types never before encountered, were found in the soil. The corporations’ greed reared its ugly mug instantly, and the land quickly became contested. The four companies are still embroiled in massive legal proceedings to try and resolve the situation, each hoping to lay claim to the fortune. It could be the herald of a new war if this conflict is not resolved, as all parties involved are already submitting tickets on the market to draw in fresh mercenaries for the dirty work…

Cultural Information
  • Sexism: Thrace’s unsavory elements have influenced its culture greatly over the years. Women are generally regarded as less efficient, less useful citizens, and prostitution isn’t exactly a rare thing in many cities. The fact that much of the labor on the planet consists of working in mines or with heavy machinery means that women are bullied from the work scene. The level of sexism varies greatly depending on where one is, but it is always present.
  • Nexus: Thrace has become a smelting pot of various cultures, races and ideologies. Because of the massive influx of mercenaries and bounty hunters who find enough work there to make it a near-permanent home, their own ways and traditions began to flood through the planet. Thrace’s population itself is an amalgamation of workers imported from all over the sector and beyond, all looking for work on the desert planet for the respective companies. This alone would result in more than a few walks of life seeing the spotlight.
  • Unusual Custom (Trade): Trade in some cities is restricted under the supervision of the company who owns the establishment. This is often the case under the iron rule of the Neirin Foundation, or in some cases the Muron Cooperative. While they receive no money from any of the transactions, they seem intent on keeping a close eye on all business affairs in their territory, to the point of invasion of privacy. Usually this is done through monitoring devices that react to sales being made at the counters of shops. These devices are usually a combination of a camera, several sensors and a communication’s device in case the operator desires to make some comments on the purchase, usually when they were illegal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:00:55 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - More than He can Chew
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »

More than He can Chew

"They're not paying me enough for this. I'm getting soft in my middle age..."

*TAKEN*
  • Overall Style: All-out civil war, trying to stop an atrocity.
  • Compatible Settings: Modern Day, Sci-Fi and Near Future
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must be part of the resistance movement trying to put an end to a tyrannical rule. Your character must be able to defend herself at least ably.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Freedom Fighter, Civilian-turned-Soldier, Fellow Mercenary

Concept
A brutal civil war has broken out on a world far from the Interplanetary Alliance's reach. Because of this, the planet is left to its own devices and the ruling government isn't keen on the resistance to its rule. Tyranny reigns supreme on the planet, with daily atrocities reminding the people who is in charge. Economical power allows this to continue, forcing many outsiders to turn a blind eye in return for a hefty profit. Despite the level of control the government has over its people, the limited size of its army can do only so much, allowing the resistance members to gain ground every day of fighting that passes. Having been pushed too far, the president made the call to use his tremendous wealth to hire a massive force of mercenaries from all across the known colonies. By the thousands, these troops began to flood onto the planet, causing chaos and mayhem wherever they took the fight. Vaska is one of these men, but for the first time in his life, a battle is leaving a poor taste in his mouth. It isn't until he is taken captive by the enemy and convinced by a resistance member to change sides that he decides his pay check isn't high enough to warrant genocide. With the resistance losing ground, the situation is looking bad for the local population, but with soldiers and mercenaries changing sides every day, perhaps the freedom fighters have a chance at victory after all?

General Focus
The main focus of this idea is to show the nature of a civil war, to show the utter chaos of neighbors fighting one another. The inclusion of the mercenaries upset the entire balance of the conflict, making pillaging and looting acceptable for an armed force. Behind the scenes, even the president is starting to lose control of the situation and if it persists, it may doom the entire planet to poverty caused by the ravages of war. Your character is the one to convince Vaska to open his eyes and realize the conflict needs to end, sooner rather than later. The second focus rests on the struggle of a few fighting for their own freedom. The current regime isn't just oppressive, it is utterly depraved and corrupt, with all money, food and wealth being sapped from the commoner and stuffed into the pockets of a few. Any who dare speak up against this are brutally eliminated, and there seems to be very little hope for the people.

Other Details
There are quite a few details that can be altered to your wishes. First and foremost, you are entirely free as to who your character is, as long as she somehow ends up becoming a prominent member of the resistance and convinces Vaska to join their cause. She could be another merc, one hired much earlier, that switched sides. Or, perhaps, she was nothing more but a local girl that had lost her family and livelihood to the regime and was forced to pick up a weapon and learn how to use it. The location of the war is also up for customization. They could find themselves on a different planet, one without an atmosphere and that is dotted by domes that support life. Or, it can be a more current day setting, where it is a fictional country under siege. Your character need not even be human, if you prefer to add alien races to the mix.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:19:18 AM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - An Empty Vessel
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:11 AM »

An Empty Vessel

"I don't want to lose myself. Raikon help me, I'm terrified..."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, double-crossing and desperate situations.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Adventure, Psychological Drama
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have a reason to decide to help Thadius, instead of fighting against him; determined as something that happened before the role play, or happens during the role play.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Remorseful Cultist, Antipaladin, Ambitious Sorceress, Individualistic Witch

Concept
Since his childhood, Thadius has been burdened by significant responsibilities. At first, he was hailed as a promising inquisitor and aspiring divine champion of the thunder god Raikon, but, soon after his potential became apparent, many of the zealous priests in his temple began to laud him as something more. They claimed he was nothing less than one with the ability to became an avatar of Raikon. The sheer weight Thadius felt was almost insurmountable, but he pressed onward. But, he can no longer ignore the doubts he has in his mind. When he calls upon the thunder, he is unsure whether it is Raikon that answers. And every time he does, he feels more of himself being chipped away at. Some days, he can't even remember what he had eaten the day before for breakfast. It frightens and terrifies a man who is otherwise implacable before adversity. Little does he know that, in truth, he is being prepared to serve as a vessel to a truly heinous and diabolical entity. Something more than a demon, but less than a deity, this being is still potent enough to pose a significant threat to the realm and cannot be allowed to manifest. But it has agents, one of which has been monitoring Thadius closely for a long time. Things are not going to work out as planned, however, as Thadius will eventually wise up to the manipulations he is subjected to and resist with all his might.

General Focus
The focus of this role play is twofold, with one half related more to Thadius, while the other is influenced by your character. Since he was a child, Thadius has been groomed and manipulated into being a vessel for this unknown being. The entity had linked part of itself to Thadius, which is what allows him to receive what he believes are blessings, but are in fact just the channeling of the being's power through Thadius' own body. This was a risky move, as the entity cannot just undo this and should Thadius turn against him, he can still force the being to relent some of its power at regular intervals. The risk was a calculated one, however, as every use of this power takes away more of Thadius' self. His body remains in perfect shape, but his identity and very soul get chipped away. Once nothing remains, only a minor ritual will be needed to draw the being into the shell and become manifest. Your character is someone in the service of this entity. What capacity she fulfills is entirely up to you as she need not be some kind of cultist. She will always be aware of who she serves, but the why could be up for debate. Her motivations become strained and she begins questioning her loyalty. For the first part of the role play, she will continue to guide Thadius from one challenge to the next, forcing him to use the being's powers and expedite him becoming a blank slate. Somehow, be it because of sympathy or because she has ambitions of her own, she decides to betray her master and attempts to free herself with Thadius' aid. This would be an uphill battle, as well as a very psychologically taxing one for both characters involved.

Other Details
A lot of the details of this idea can be altered to suit our needs. What is of prime importance is the nature of your character, her connection to the dark being, what service she provides him and why she could potentially question her loyalty. The latter does not need to be completely ironed out in advance, so as to leave the progression more organic, but the groundwork has to be there, as her changing sides is one of the cornerstones of the setup. With everything else, you have nigh free reign, so long as it makes sense and fits in with the darker style of the game. While not necessary, types of characters that will work better than others are those that are inherently darker or even evil. The being itself, its minions and how Thadius and your character can hope to stop it are other details that can be brainstormed over.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:01:11 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - The Time is Now
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »

The Time is Now

"I have bid my time long enough. It is time to strike at the heart of my country, but first I must gather my allies."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, political machinations, treason and backstabbing.
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character and Evren must have some kind of history that established an alliance of some sort. Either they are comrades or your character simply owes him a favor for something that occurred in the past. Your character must be at least a rather dark or unethical individual to want to help Evren in his ambitions.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Ambitious Soldier, Drow Sorceress, Corrupted Elvish Druid, Orc Warrior, Desert Nomad

Concept
Nemeus is corrupt and unworthy of the sacrifices its troops make every day in the name of its crown. Having been born and raised in a society that elevates bloodlines and family names far above merit and competence, Evren has been forced to fight tooth and nail for what comparatively little he has accomplished thus far. He grew tired of society long before then, and after the latest disgrace, the dangerous warlock feels it is finally time to put his plans into motion. In the shadows, he has been gathering support and allies. While his influence is spread thin, he has gathered what he believes he needs to topple a kingdom from within, and pick up the pieces once the smoke clears. Nemeus would be reborn according to his vision, and those who aided him loyally and competently, would receive their just rewards. But make no mistake, a country under Evren would be one of few freedoms...

General Focus
The focus of this role play is dissension. Evren has prepared as much as he can ahead of time and cannot wait any longer to enact his schemes - nor does he stand to gain anything more by putting it off further. He believes the time to act is now, and so he puts out the call. Your character is one of those that comes to his aid. Perhaps she is an old friend that believe in a realm under Evren guidance, or perhaps she is a reluctant ally aiding only because it serves her well; at least for now. Whatever the case, she heeds his orders and they begin to create chaos and strife from within. Using a lull in Nemeus' warring ways, civil war between many of the powerful noblemen is lured out by using their pride, egos and secrets against them. Blackmail, misdirection, assassination, framing and more are all tools Evren intends on using to bring the kingdom down. Only in such a state can he begin to gather more allies, until he has sufficient to put himself on the throne - complete with crown and all.

Other Details
The most significant part of this role play idea to discuss is your character. Who is she? She can be anything from a comrade Evren met while fighting one of Nemeus' many wars, to a stalwart friend he has had for more years than he can count. Perhaps she is nothing more than an opportunist, who does believe that things will be better with Evren in charge, but only because her own situation would be one of those to improve and not out of any sense of genuine loyalty. She could be a warrior, mage, rogue, criminal, or even a noblewomen who finds that her talents are overlooked because her name does not carry the weight her neighbor's does; much like Evren's. Her specific motivations can be as selfless or selfish as you desire them, so long as she works together with him towards this common goal. If you so please, she could even be sly enough to plan on backstabbing him once the country is destabilized enough, and run off with the crown herself. As for a past history between them, that could also be as expansive as you like. Good friends, occasional comrades or perhaps even heated, on-and-off lovers. They could all work within the context of the setup.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:01:20 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - In Search of Utopia
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »

In Search of Utopia

*TAKEN*
  • Overall Style: Dark, gritty and post-apocalyptic future.
  • Compatible Settings: Fantasy, Near-Future, Distant-Future, Science Fiction
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must possess the capabilities to survive in a barren and desolate world. This need not be prowess in battle, but she needs to be able to function with the bare minimum.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Gun-Wielding Gladiator, Hardened Wanderer, Medic and Survivalist (imagine how wanted this person would be in such a setting: a doctor!), Vigilante, Daemon Hunter
  • Tags: [VAN], [EXO], [MxF]

Concept
Over three centuries ago, foul creatures appeared out of nowhere. They came in numbers and in full force - the reasons for their attack unknown at the time and seemingly little more than blind rage and hatred. It didn't take much more than a few decades for the last bastions of civilization to fall. Any survivors had been reduced to wanderers trying to survive on a planet that had slowly been turned into a barren wasteland, or had been forced into hiding. Mankind was either enslaved, or lived in secret societies in total fear of the enemy outside. These few hidden societies and cities were often no less cruel and depraved than the world of the invaders as the rulers are little more than gangsters and warlords who feed off the misery of those too weak to defend themselves. After all, there was no justice that stopped them from doing what they pleased? However, as always in such a world of despair, legends of hope appeared from the minds of the people, and one such legend has been driving adventurers for decades: Utopia. The tales tell of a place on Earth where these foul creatures cannot enter. That place holds and protects the key to their extinction and the freedom of mankind. Naturally, details are sketchy at best and in any other modern age, these stories would be seen as little more than tall tales. But people have little else to hope for, as there are no real resistance movements that stand an inkling of a chance against the status quo. Is this Utopia real? If so, will a pair of adventurers ever find it and unleash its power upon humanity's greatest foe? Chances are slim, but maybe they will find the answers, whatever they may be.

General Focus
The focus of this role play will be the struggle between mankind and this foe, as well as the search for hope. It is perfectly possible that there is no utopia and that, wherever people go, they find more suffering and more darkness. However, it could be that the simple ideal of a utopia allows people to fight back and overcome adversity? How dark this interplay is and whether or not one can ever hope for a happy ending is entirely up to how you wish to play it. As for the foe, they can be anything that is both savage and filled with hatred. They will commonly be referred to as Daemons, but they need not be demons from the pits of hell. They could be aliens that have staged an invasion for slaves and raw materials. They could be a mutant experiment gone haywire, causing them to break free, multiply and overwhelm their human counterparts. Since most records have been lost, the people who live in this day and age have no way of knowing for sure what brought them to the way they live. Slavery need not be a theme either, it could be that humans are killed on sight or used as food rather than cheap labor. The focus can also shift from finding this mythical place, to just surviving in an utterly hostile environment. After all, even fellow humans are exploiting the situation and causing grief and suffering in the form of dictatorships and the like.

Other Details
Two more things are up for debate from the get-go, that I can think of. The first is technology. The most stylish kind would be a gritty amalgamation of technology stripped from modern day. It would match the post-apocalyptic setting. People would be using salvaged guns, blades and all manner of jury-rigged weapons they can get their hands on. Ammo can be manufactured but is still scarce as mass-production is non-existent. Of course, other levels of technology are perfectly acceptable as this role play could be an alternate past as the invasion could have occurred in ancient times. The second point is the level of skill and power the protagonists can possess. They can be anything from highly trained warriors to civilians who have just learned how to survive. Even super powers and strange mutations can be brought into the mix if you so please. It all depends on whether you wish it to be survival horror, or more action adventure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:19:26 AM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - It was an Honorable Duel
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »

It was an Honorable Duel

"I am certain my father wants her dead. But if I agree to turn a blind eye, I will have forsaken all of my vows..."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Oriental high fantasy, conflicted responsibilities and foreign cultures.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Adventure, Mystery
  • Compatible Settings: Oriental Fantasy
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must be samurai-ko. Your character must have been part of an opposing faction in a war involving the Moto, where she slew Katsuro's elder brother.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Daimyo's Daughter, Tactician, Seasoned Samurai, Secretive Kunoichi, Diplomatic Shugenja, Remorseless Duelist
  • Tags: [VAN], [MxF]

Concept
The Moto family's reputation has been foul and hated for decades, ever since the betrayal of one of their own in the face of an invading, foreign power. To this day, the Moto pay the price for their ancestor's actions and there have been no shortage of conflicts caused by past slights related to this. Among the most recent was a short-lived, but nonetheless brutal war between the Moto and a neighboring clan. In this conflict, Moto Yajinden, heir to the clan diamyo, was slain. An honorable duel by all accounts, his defeat marked the end of a battle, as well as the end of the war. Moto Katsuro was affected by the loss of his sibling more than he would have realized, but none seethed with anger like his father did, who had poured everything he had into grooming Yajinden to be the perfect heir. The clan was in crisis, all because of the now-fabled samurai-ko of the rival clan. Petty as Katsuro's father was, the arrival of a delegation form that same clan, months later, was interpreted as a spit in the face. Among the delegates was the young samurai-ko that had dueled Yajinden to the death. Katsuro's father has wasted no time in setting up a scheme to get his revenge on his eldest son's murderer, and involves Katsuro in the task. As a magistrate - a man who upholds the law - he is in the perfect position to serve as part of the guard for the delegation, and slipping a blade along the samurai-ko's neck... Despite the terrible friction that has always existed between father and son, Moto Katsuro finds himself torn between following his father's orders and potentially putting himself back into his favor, or upholding the law by warning her of the assassination attempt, thereby burning any last bridges that remain between he and his father.

General Focus
The focus of the role play is twofold. Naturally, first and foremost is oriental court intrigue. Why the delegation has come in the first place could play a major role in the tense situation and war could be the result of our characters' actions. Another factor is that your character slew Katsuro's brother during the recent war. However, it was an honorable duel that is normally not seen with such anger and hatred. But, Katsuro's father does not see it that way, and will stop at nothing to get revenge for the opportunities lost in the dead heir. This means navigating the deadly waters and only showing oneself in public when there are countless witnesses present. Getting caught in an alley can, and will, be deadly. Secondly is the interplay between the characters. Moto Katsuro was raised on different principles than his father, and while he does not hold honor and abstract concepts as high as some of his peers, he does still understand the reality of war and cannot blame her for defending herself. Moreover, she has broken no law, and there is nothing he holds in higher regard than the magistracy's law. That being said, the man he had to bury months earlier had no just been an acquaintance in passing. It had been his elder brother. Despite the family troubles, he had still played the part of role model, and the woman that cut him down has now become the person he has to kill or protect. Even though he will obviously choose to protect her, it will not make looking at her any easier. Whatever the case, the attempt on her life will not be able to be linked back to the Moto; not without proof. So, while the talks continue, she and Katsuro are stuck together, fighting a nation of assassins out for both their throats, until she can depart, or proof is found.

Other Details
As always, who your character is, is up in the air. She has to be a higher-ranking noblewoman from the clan that opposed the Moto in a recent war. However, the specifics are nowhere near as closely defined. She need not be swordmaster and her victory could have been a fluke. Or, more realistically, she is an expert duelist and one who bested Katsuro's brother in honorable combat. She could be a shugenja - an oriental mage - or perhaps even a kunoichi behind the veneer of honorable samurai-ko. As for why she is part of the delegation, it could be that her influence within her clan grew tremendously upon her victorious duel (or even command, if you wish to make her a military officer) and that no entourage of note is without her presence anymore. Or, perhaps her clean really does intend to rub it in and insult the Moto, as is common, and thus add her to the delegation as a thinly veiled affront?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:01:37 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - A Dangerous Bargain
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:50:06 AM »

A Dangerous Bargain

"There is one advantage to no longer having a choice. At least I don't agonize over it anymore."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, rebellion, civil war and mad dictators.
  • Compatible Settings: High Fantasy, Low Fantasy
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must hail from a country that stands to gain much by toppling the Aternus Empire, and must have the abilities to act directly.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Foreign Spymaster, Charismatic Demagogue, Influential Rogue, Opportunistic Diplomat, Sneaky Guerrilla Ranger

Concept
The Aternus Empire is slowly crumbling, and its rulers do not even realize it yet. For a few years now, the emperor - the heart and soul of the Empire - has been becoming more and more erratic and uncontrollable. Madness and old age are gripping him and he has become a maniacal tyrant. Secret police, extreme oppression that makes the imperialistic rule of the past seem like democracy, and paranoia abound. Tymon is among the Imperial governors that feel conflicting loyalties. He still remembers what glory and stability the emperor brought to the region, but he had been a very different man back then. Now, the only news he ever receives from the capital involve public, mass executions and invitations to orgies he declines as politely as he can. Tymon stayed his hand for too long, and he has now become a target of the same paranoia that has slain so many others before him. His popularity in his region could not protect him and his absence has made his home extremely volatile and unstable. Captured by the emperor's agents, Tymon is rescued by an unexpected benefactor during transportation to the capital. Together with a small group, his savior identifies herself as someone representing a foreign power that has a vested interest in watching the Empire crumble. Her offer is simple. Either Tymon rots in a cell, or he proves he is the better man that his reputation implies and helps them overthrow the emperor through civil war. Tymon does not like the meddling of others in his country's affairs, but what choice does he have? He either betrays his lord and saves his people, or dangles from the end of a rope while the empire burns...

General Focus
The main focus of this role play is the political ramifications of the emperor's madness, both internally and externally. The empire has become extremely unstable and there are a number of lords that have openly, or subtly protested. Some have been executed, some imprisoned and others are able to keep themselves off the radar. It is obvious that without some ringleader stepping up to unite the warring factions, the tyrannical rule will continue for at least several more years, which will make the eventual civil war all the bloodier and more destructive. The empire has been a threat to other nations since its rise to prominence, so many of them are watching the situation closely. One of them is particularly interested in watching the empire splinter into smaller countries, which will safeguard its borders for years to come. They send their agents in the hopes of inciting the civil war prematurely, and bringing down the country. Tymon is their target of choice. The secondary focus lies in the distrust between our characters. It is a partnership of convenience and one that was even forced on Tymon. He does not trust that he will not find himself with a knife in his back when the smoke clears; to stop him from becoming too dangerous himself. While they will work together, trust will be something that will be stretched very thin for a good while.

Other Details
As always, most of the details of your character are entirely up to you. What is set in stone is that she performs some kind of duty for her homeland that makes her useful in the context of destabilizing Aternus. This need not be subterfuge, spying or sabotage, but those are the easiest options to implement. She could also be a public face, a diplomat, that has been spreading her influence within the Empire for years. She could even be disguised as a wealthy merchant, having infiltrated the Empire beforehand and using her money and oratory skills to incite the people against the emperor. Whether or not toppling the empire is personal or just a matter of performing her duties, is also up to you, but that will define a lot of her motivations. She will not be working alone, so if you wish, we can always discuss other members of her team in advance; or we can make them up as we go.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:01:45 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - Helping Out a Friend
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:18:23 AM »

Helping Out a Friend

"Friends are rare enough in this line of work, and I'm not about to abandon one of them."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Modern day, urban fantasy, fighting supernatural horrors and stopping violent murders.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Horror, Mystery
  • Compatible Settings: Modern Day, Urban Fantasy
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must have some connection to Blake, the extent of which does not matter.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Field Hunter, Forensic Specialist, Private Investigator, Police Officer, Dangerously Curious Expert
  • Tags: [VAN], [MxF]

Concept
They go a while back, but keeping in touch with people in Blake's line of work is easier said than done. As such, he was surprised to find an email from her in his inbox during his latest return to his hunter organization's headquarters. She's in trouble. She either took on a job that was too much for her alone, she became the target of something deadly, or she has inadvertently gotten herself involved in the supernatural. She doesn't know who else to trust or turn to but Blake, and he knows he could never turn his back on her. Dropping anything else he was doing, he set off on a personal mission - something his organization frowns upon. They'll be facing the threat alone, but her life is at stake, so there is no room for failure.

General Focus
The primary focus of this role play is a battle against supernatural forces. The nature of these forces is up for debate, but they need not necessarily be awe-inspiring. Perhaps they are merely numerous? Or crafty enough to confound even two experienced hunters. The mystery and the horror will go hand-in-hand. On the one end, the characters will need to figure out why this thing/these things are after your character, which may not be an easy feat. Even after determining -what- is after her, its motivations could still run the whole gamut of possibilities. From revenge to unhealthy obsession. The horror manifests in the dark and gritty nature of the setting and setup. Urban fantasy lends itself well to dark, rainy alleyways or abandoned buildings where every room gives you the creeps. Gore can be as prevalent or as minimal as you wish, but the threat of death will be there.

Other Details
It's a simple setup, but one that allows for a lot of customization. Your character can fulfill any kind of role that could potentially get her into contact with the supernatural. Maybe she is a private investigator that unwittingly took on a job that had her spying on something she shouldn't have. Maybe she's a hunter like Blake; a more experienced one even? If someone with her skill is struggling, than Blake will definitely know something is very wrong. The nature of the creature(s) is also something we can determine. Perhaps its a spirit that obsesses with memories or emotions that are strong in your character. Maybe she lost someone recently and her grief makes her a potent beacon for the entity? Or, perhaps it is a monster who caught onto her scent and wants to cut all loose ends before word gets out. Or maybe she was just in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Your character need not have experience with the supernatural, but she will likely know that Blake has been traveling and doing some odd, suspicious jobs across the country. She's never bothered to ask, but when the trouble started, his was the first name that came to mind. The nature of their relationship can also be changed. They could be close friends, former lovers, or are still some kind of a complicated, long-distance relationship.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:01:53 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - Taking Back a Home
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »

Taking Back a Home

"We did not sacrifice our friends, families and bodies just to see our independence sacked before our very eyes. We -will- take back what is ours!"

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: High fantasy, uphill battle against a mysterious conqueror.
  • Compatible Settings: High Fantasy
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must either hail from the Winterlands in some capacity or have a vested interest in helping its people against the invading force.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Loyal Captain, Experienced Warrior, Talented Bodyguard, Mysterious Shaman, Banished Tribal Warrior, Shrewd Witch, Foreign Agent

Concept
The Winterlands had finally settled into a well-deserved peace. Under the rule of Lord Marshall Rydar, the region could finally stabilize and, for a few years, this was certainly the case. However, it seemed the young nation's troubles were not passed them yet. While tensions with several nations to the south were a constant, none of them were likely to amount to war anytime soon. As such, Bran's focus had shifted from maintaining the same size of standing army as he had in previous years, to pumping more money into the export of the raw materials that could fill the nation's empty coffers. While sound judgement, no one could have accounted for what came next. Without warning, portals opened near all major strongholds and settlements in the Winterlands - several spawning near the capital. From it, flooded armies of a race Bran had never heard of before. Humanoid, they seemed to come from the depths below and their intentions were clear: conquest. They did not murder senselessly, although anyone who resisted their invasion was put to death. The rest? While reports are unclear, they seem to be put to work in camps, mining the very ore that promised to make the nation rich. Only now, they are forced to swing a pickaxe until hunger and fatigue forces them to their knees. In under a month, the nation was broken. The capital had been lost, and so had most other major settlements and fortresses. The condition was dire, and help from the south was non-existent, for they were unsure how to respond to this new foe. The only part of the nation that remains somewhat free is the northeast, where Bran has slowly managed to consolidate. He lacks the manpower to proceed, but then, an idea is pitched by an unexpected source. This person seemed to have found out more about these creatures, and has discovered how their portals work. This could potentially make striking at their heart a possibility. It seemed to be Bran's only chance so long as diplomatic talks with the South result in nothing.

General Focus
The primary focus of this role play is the uphill battle against a dangerous, new enemy. There are a ton of variables where they are concerned. They have weapons and magics that are unknown to Bran and his people, as well as a culture and goal that is still very muddy and unclear; despite scouting and espionage efforts on his part. Time is of the essence as every day Bran spends holed up in his last remaining foothold, is a day more of his people are killed or worked to death. Help from the south isn't coming, at least not in significant numbers, so they have to fend for themselves. The second focus is dealing with losses of the past and present. Past for Bran, but present potentially for your character. She may have lost family to the sudden attacks, or maybe -she- happens to be the person who knows more about this race, and has been trying to warn others for years?

Other Details
Two parts of this story can be heavily altered as per our preferences. The invading race lacks solid form and motivation. It could be that revenge motivates them, or they are merely conquerors that bid their time. They may have agents in other nations that watched the political climate until the perfect opportunity, and target, presented itself. They may be an entire race working as one, or a splinter faction from a different world. Their magic allows them to open portals, but these are not without limitations, as none were opened in the northeast of the Winterlands. Perhaps they need anchors on the other end of a portal to establish it? What kind of creatures are they? Are they all sentient? Are they a hivemind? Or are they simply a warring race such as Orcs or Drow? The second part is your character. She needs to either have a solid connection to the Winterlands or have a vested interest in seeing it preserved. She does not have to be part of Bran's army, though she could be. She could be a bodyguard or a loyal right-hand-woman. Perhaps she is an adviser on magical affairs that begins to research the creatures? Or, maybe she hails from the south and while her government cannot act openly, they know the tide needs to be stopped, so they send hidden aid in the form of agents led by her? Perhaps she used to be part of the tribes that dotted the Winterlands and has encountered the creatures before. Despite not wanting anything to do with Bran's regime, she now finds her hands tied as when Bran's resistance falls, so does hers. She need not be human either, as any race that makes sense could be applied.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:02:02 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - We are the Dreamers
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »

We are the Dreamers

"Am I awake or am I asleep? It's become so hard to see the difference. Every time I close my eyes, I'm afraid it's for the last time..."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Gritty, psychological, 'trippy' horror with an abstract twist.
  • Compatible Genres: Horror, Mystery, Drama
  • Compatible Settings: Urban Fantasy, World of Darkness
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be afflicted by something supernatural akin to the curse that subtly guides Alexander's life towards failure from time to time.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Rookie Policewoman, Paroled Criminal, Night Shift Nurse, Paranormal Investigator, Self-Proclaimed Psychic/Clairvoyant, Night Store Owner
  • Tags: [VAN], [BON] (light), [EXO], [MxF], [MxM], [MxT], [MxI], [MxO]

Concept
All of his life, Alexander has been subtly guided by the effects of a curse he isn't even aware of. Constantly, both minor and major events in his life have been doomed to fail, seemingly at random and for not particular reason. But, in recent weeks, Alexander had begun to feel as though he is losing his mind. His dreams have become vivid portrayals of both wondrous and nightmarish landscapes. Visions so intense he could swear he is having a bad trip despite never touching drugs of any kind. He begins to become aware of things around him; things beyond a thin veil that others ignore. He sees eyes in the darkness, and when he closes his own to sleep, he finds himself somewhere very different. The previous night was the worst one yet, as he could almost see this "curse" influencing countless variables to make them come together just right for him to miss that important job opportunity, or that dinner with a woman that could have brightened his life immensely. Both the mundane and the important have been influenced. In that dream, he stumbled through a silver city, and for the first time since these things have begun to occur, he bumped into someone else, someone who seemed sentient and responsive. They spoke only briefly, before Alexander woke up again. The dreams keep getting longer, and Alexander feels it keeps getting harder to wake up. What's more, the person he had met in his dream? He just walked by the window where they are having breakfast...

General Focus
The focus of this idea is clearly psychological horror. Both characters are confused and have no idea what's going on. That last dream made them aware of the cross they've been bearing without their knowledge for years. They have no idea how to deal with this, or where to seek answers. That is where the mystery comes in. There is only so much they can do and so long they can stay awake, before they need to go into this dreamer's realm in search of answers. That is, if they're not dreaming already... The second focus is no less important. Both characters have issues in their lives, both social and professional, as well as past and present. They are not the healthiest of people. They are not insane, but they are not entirely sound of mind either. The role play will force them to rely on each other and a lot of attention will have to go into how they interact and how they eventually break down personal barriers to tell the other what has been haunting them.

Other Details
It is extremely vague as to what is happening is just in Alexander's or your character's heads. Are they both dreaming? Are you the only one dreaming? Or are they both going completely mad? Is something calling them into their sleep? If so, for what reason? Mystery is intended to support the horrific elements of the idea, but both it and the horror aspect can be heightened or lessened as per your preference. It can be as gruesome as Lovecraftian horror, or it can be more frightening simply because of the unknown and helplessness involved. We can define the answers to their questions in advance or during the course of the role play, or we can even never have them find out. They may fail and enter a sleep they never awaken from; their minds torn from their bodies. Or, they manage to break out of the horrific cycle, but they don't quite know how or why. Defined or vague, they can both work. As always, your character is your own to customize. They can be of any gender and profession, so long as they bear some kind of curse like Alexander's. What their curse does is entirely up to you, but it should be something subtle and not crippling. Your character may have been aware of it somewhat, but never convinced until that last dream before meeting Alexander. For the rest, they can be anything you can think of that will make them interesting in this type of tale. Romance and sexual content, unlike in many of my other ideas, are essential in this role play, as it will heavily involve them bonding and finding support in each other where they cannot elsewhere. Because of the psychological nature, discovering sexual orientations is even a valid option as they are so deeply affected by those dreams.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:03:45 PM by Renegade Vile »

Role Play Idea - To Hell and Back
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »

To Hell and Back

"Into the very pits of Hell for someone I barely know. I suppose it's one way to go out in a blaze of glory."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Gritty, bloody, desperate and dangerous struggle against darkness.
  • Compatible Genres: Action, Adventure, Horror, Drama
  • Compatible Settings: Urban Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Steampunk Horror
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be female. Your character must be some kind of otherworldly entity that is not human.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Repentant Daemon, Daemonic Antithesis, Disguised Angel, Manifested Spirit

Concept
The only hope to end the threat to humanity has been taken from the Earth. A brilliant scientist had found a way to close the hellmouths across the world; somehow. But he, and his notes, were taken from his home in London - one of the few remaining hubs of civilization that people know about. Several hunters have already lost their lives in a desperate bid to seek out the man, believing any cost of life is worth salvation. Hector is skeptical, until he is approached by a woman who claims to know where he had been taken. His paranoia is overruled by compelling proof in the form of some of the man's missing notes and possessions, as well as plausible reasons for how she could have come upon them without being involved. Deciding to put everything on the line, Hector follows the woman beyond the relative safety of London, and into the wastelands beyond. Too late does he realize he has been guided to one of the hellmouths, and he is cast into it together with the woman he had trusted. When he awakens, he finds himself in a cavern in the home realm of the Daemon invaders and, in his presence, the mysterious woman. She reveals her true nature to him, and must now convince him that her lies were for all the right reasons. She -does- know where the scientist is. In Hell itself. And it's up to them to pull him back out.

General Focus
The focus of this role play is the horrific, taxing and dangerous journey through what is essentially the equivalent of Biblical Hell. While not quite so desolate, and not lacking in food as long as one knows where to look, it is still a quest that is nothing short of pure agony for a human being, and most other entities for that matter. It is paramount that the scientist, or at the very least his notes, are retrieved, or humanity may have lost its final hope for rescue. A secondary focus lies between our two characters and depends heavily on what your character ends up being. If she is a Daemon, she will slowly convince Hector that they are not all beyond redemption, and that some never wished such harm upon humanity. She wants to make amends. Of course, she could be lying and manipulating him. After all, all's fair in love and war. She could be a different entity, who will try to convince Hector that she had good reasons to fool him and that she believes he is required to set things "right". Romantic content is highly likely.

Other Details
There are a number of details that can be discussed in advance, or left to be ironed out over the course of the role play. The nature of the Daemons and their realm is one of them and can be anything from barren, lava-filled wastelands, to more abstract and utterly alien landscapes (or both). The Daemons themselves can be more traditional in appearance, or are truly unfathomable monstrosities of varying strength. Your character is where most depth can be found. Who is she, and why is she helping Hector? She most definitely isn't human. Perhaps she's a Daemon, trying to make amends or simply manipulating Hector to put an end to the conflict so she can enact another scheme of hers. Maybe she is an Angel, who can stand by and watch no longer, and is forced to hide from detection of her brethren by holding back most of her power, and only relying on subtlety (so as not to make her invincible in battle). Maybe she is a spirit of torment that manifested as the hellmouths opened and so many people perished. She wants the pain to stop and knows of only one way to do so. The possibilities are endless, but whatever you pick greatly colors the style of interactions. I would prefer her not to look entirely human in her true form. She need not be alien, but you have some legroom where her otherworldly appearance is concerned.

Role Play Idea - The Masses Strike Back
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 03:00:27 AM »

That Masses Strike Back

"I can't blame them for the frustration they feel, but this isn't the way. They have to be stopped."

*AVAILABLE*
  • Overall Style: Struggle against a World collapsing under Social Pressure and Injustice gone awry.
  • Compatible Settings: Superhero (realistic or not, gritty or not)
  • Prerequisites: Your character must be an established superhero of some kind within the country or region in which this role play takes place.
  • Possible Character Ideas: Physical Powerhouse, Reckless Speedster, Concentrated Telekinetic, Stoic Magician, Redeemed Supervillain

Concept
The poor and downtrodden are everywhere. In plain sight, yet forgotten by the majority of society. It is not the fault of the middle class, not really. They too struggle under the abusive thumb of a select few that sit at the top of the pyramid and enjoy themselves in all excess. But, what target is the easiest to take your frustrations out on? Among these forgotten people - the so-called dregs of society - are meta-humans as well. Money has no say in the potency of the powers one is gifted with at birth, and when frustration finally reaches a fever-pitch, what will these individuals do? They are hungry, cold and alone, and filled with incredible wrath. They will stop at nothing to see them elevated and it does not take long for violence to break out. While these riots and bouts of internal terrorism under the unified banner of The Silent Masses, spring up across the nation, nowhere is it more severe than in the city Mykhayl had chosen to reside in for the next few years. Law enforcement cannot stop these men and women out for blood. Meta-human and human side-by-side, destroying and even killing in the name of a demand such aggression will not see fulfilled. Mykhayl cannot handle them alone - he needs help. Because violence isn't the answer to their problems and they have now become no better than the criminals some believe them to be.

General Focus
The primary focus of this idea is the fact that enemies can be anyone and anywhere. While most of the members of The Silent Masses are the very poorest of the people on the street, there are plenty of lower middle-class people that have felt the sting of the economy too many times to not help. It is difficult not to feel sorry for their plight, but at the end of the day, they are still causing mayhem and destruction out of fruitless frustration. Mykhayl will feel morally conflicted, and so too might your character. It will be difficult to trust some people, as there are even meta-humans that can transform their appearance to match anything they desire. Terrorist attacks, robberies on large banks and vaults, assassination attempts, nothing is too much for these homeless-turned-anarchists. A secondary focus can be placed on the relationship between the two characters. Mykhayl technically fits the bill where The Silent Masses' usual recruits are concerned as he is broke, homeless and has never been very quiet about his distaste with society. Would he betray your character?

Other Details
As with most of the ideas I put up, you have full freedom where your character is concerned. The only restriction is that they be a superhero active in the same city or region in which the role play takes place. They can have a very personal stake in this, such as a distant relative partaking in the violence, or said violence having already injured (or worse) a family member. But, they could also just have ideological qualms. They might not even care at all and see it just as doing their jobs: which is keep the peace. In terms of super-powers, anything of roughly the same level of power as Mykhayl's is perfectly fine; even more powerful is fine since Mykhayl's powers also have a lot of utility to them beyond combat application. However, do not make yourself too weak, or too powerful. So nothing too realistic like Daredevil or Batman without the gadgets, and nothing too over-the-top like Superman. Try and fight a nice balance which is usually exemplified by types like Spiderman and X-Men characters. The nature of the members of The Silent Masses can also be discussed, or just left up to our whim as we play it out.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:48:57 AM by Renegade Vile »