You do not need to be familiar with any anime at all to play this if you're happy just adventuring. ^.^
This is a re-post of an idea I had a while ago but never had a chance to get off the ground, even though there was a good amount of interest.
There is going to be a near-monstrous amount of info to read, so just bear with me, please. ^.^'
History of the game:
A few years ago I was President of the Anime club at my university. Just for fun, my husband ran an epic *BESM-based game where we played ourselves - with the eventual addition of fantastic powers of some kind - and hopped from world to world, having a chance to experience story elements and canon characters from different shows. The game's popularity was pretty high and it was requested several times over and we played a few different versions of it. I've since transferred schools, but I look back on it fondly and I miss my friends. (I have tried to keep in touch and will be inviting a few of them to our virtual version of the game)
The one trouble we had when we played this game tabletop is that some people whined and complained when they were in a world they were unfamiliar with. (Master made a list and randomly rolled the next world we "jumped" to) To me, that's a major part of the fun - the exploration and adventure. Obviously, with the opinions, desires and knowledge of many people being involved, you're bound to end up somewhere you you're unfamiliar with, so just keep that in mind.
Also - originally these were short stints of interaction in each world. If you want something that lasts longer, we might want to make a separate game for that so some players don't get stuck in a place they don't know and have no interest in for months on end.
*BESM = "Big Eye, Small Mouth' - a Anime-based roleplaying system. I haven't had experience with playing the original "Tri-Stat" version of the game, we played with the D20 version. Though it is up for discussion whether this game will follow either system at all, something new or be completely free-form - Other players preferences strongly considered.What I'd like for this game
is bring the Sliders back. If anyone remembers the 90's scifi show 'Sliders' - it was supposed to be along the same lines as that (or.... Quantum Leap, possibly) where our group of intrepid heroes have some mission given to them (that they're likely unaware of entirely) and they have to complete it and move on to the next world. Of course, these aren't just parallel Earths/universes/dimensions, they're different worlds entirely at times.
Originally, my husband ran the show because of his good story-telling skills and an extensive knowledge of different shows - Anime, Video Games and one or two western cartoons (like Avatar). For this game, we could rope him (Worshipping Master) into being our GM or we can all (or a small group of us) take turns GMing in the worlds we are most familiar with (while still playing our characters if we wish). Obviously we will only be able to travel to certain worlds if one of the people familiar with them is willing to GM that world. Master's awareness is pretty big but not all-encompassing, and my own is pretty limited. So if you're looking forward to interaction with a particular character and we don't know the show, it will be a lot easier for you to find someone else to run that part of the game so you don't take it over by, well, essentially talking to yourself. ^.^'
Based on what I heard from those who showed interest before, the following is tentatively set for the game:
- Rather than play ourselves, we'll be playing created (original) characters - though you are welcome to base yours on yourself.
- Since a system couldn't be decided upon, we'll likely be running it mostly free-form with powers mostly left up to the player's description and fights or competitions decided by a simple die roll. (Although BESM D20 did have the most votes before, having it freeform makes it easier to have other GMs not familiar with the system.)
- The game will be set in the regular RP forums so that we do not have to edit our posts for PG-13 content, however sexual scenes should take place in a separate thread so as not to take time away from the rest of the game with private happenings. (And also because a few players expressed interest in not being involved in sexual scenes)
- We'll likely have more than one GM for the game, with each taking turns setting up the descriptions of the worlds they are in charge of. No one is required to GM but it is encouraged, if you're able and willing..
- It looks like we'll be opening this up for other fandoms rather than simply Anime alone - which means we may need a new name. ^.^'
- The tone of the game will shift to be appropriate for each world we travel to (also, taking into account individual character's personalities, of course!) so that we can be goofy or serious, as appropriate for each anime.
- We will have a set amount of points that we can spend to acquire new abilities for our characters as we travel to the worlds that the specific powers are native to.
These things still need to be decided:
- What shows/games/stories would you like to see added to our Master World list? (See post 2)
What do I ask of my fellow players? Meaning: rulesI ask that you:
- Post in 3rd person, past tense.
- Throw in a few suggestions about the game (anything from story ideas to worlds, etc...)
- Have a reasonable grasp on the English language - no chat speak and PLEASE proof read your posts!
- Be able to post at least twice a week and be willing to surrender your character to the whims of the GMs should you need to leave the game or you stop posing.
- Those that volunteer to be game masters will have to discuss the overall plot of the game together and notify each other when someone's world has come up. (If you're currently not running a world, you're welcome to keep ignorant of the travel line until we get to the world that you run, if it will make the game more enjoyable for you.)
- Game masters must also be able to play Canon characters from the universe they run well enough to pass and not come into the game with a hidden agenda (such as canon character X must fall in love with GM's OC Y). The players may not agree with that particular representation but must accept it for the duration of the game. I will make an OOC for us to state our desires and try to talk possibilities with the GMs but we must remember - the GMs' decisions are final.
- Also follow the usual common sense - no god-modding, no attacking another player - resolve personal issues via PM, if possible - etc...