From CD Projekt Red, of the Witcher games, present Cyberpunk 2077

Started by Chris Brady, January 10, 2013, 09:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

And this teaser looks AWESOME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Man, I LOVE me some Cyberpunk 2020.  And this seems like they'll do a good job of making it into an computer RPG.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Wasn't a fan of the Witcher games and after the video, I'm not really that much more impressed.  Glad you enjoy it though.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Callie Del Noire

I was impressed by Cpunk, Cpunk 2020.. Cybergeneration (with a good GM)..then Pondsmith put out Cyberpunk 20XX (aka 3.0) and I've been in morning since.

Chris Brady

Really?  V3 was an extension Cybergen.  Personally, I couldn't stand it.

Either way, it seem CDPR is taking it after the Fourth Corporate War, rather than V3.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Sin.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Moraline

I think a Cyberpunk RPG would be great, but I'd like to see it as an MMORPG.  I thought the Witcher was alright, there are a lot of worse companies that could be making this game.

Chris Brady

Quote from: KaylaM on January 11, 2013, 06:17:16 AM
RTG is one of those companies where anything it touches turns to crap and seems to love jumping at bad decisions. I have to wonder at the value of using the CP2020 IP as a base since it's been basically dead/inert for a decade, and the one time it got up, CP203X, was sort of a bad joke.

Don't get me wrong, I can see potential in the idea; I'm just saying that it might be better off as a stand-alone IP.

Mr. Pondsmith seems to be letting CDPR have this one.  As for using 2020, of the entire line, it's considered 'the best', most people were expecting an extension of that game when V3 was announced, wha we got us best left unmentioned.

Quote from: Moraline on January 11, 2013, 07:49:18 AM
I think a Cyberpunk RPG would be great, but I'd like to see it as an MMORPG.  I thought the Witcher was alright, there are a lot of worse companies that could be making this game.

The issue right now is that the MMO market is floundering.  And most non-Fantasy ones have rarely done that well.

Callie Del Noire

Fun note.. I talked to a buddy about a year after V3 came out.. there was a run on print issues of 2020 that had them going for cover or higher at most of the gamer stores and used book stores that were in the know. I know for a fact the Cpunk 2020 pdfs were outselling V3.

Caitlin

I'd love to play this game, but only as a RPG. MMORPG's are such big time (and money) suckers that I'm completely turned off to them. I prefer stand alone games where only I decide how much time I want to invest in it.

I still want to play Deus Ex Revolutions too, and I never got Fallout 3 to work on my PC. I probably have to buy a new PC before I can play all those lovely games on the highest settings, but unforutnately for now I need my money for all sorts of other things. :(

Moraline

Quote from: Caitlin on January 11, 2013, 12:57:41 PM
I'd love to play this game, but only as a RPG. MMORPG's are such big time (and money) suckers that I'm completely turned off to them. I prefer stand alone games where only I decide how much time I want to invest in it.
<snip>

I'm different on this point.

See, I just can't stand the idea of playing any sort of role playing game where I don't play with other players. Maybe it's because I was raised on table top RPG's, I could never get into stand alone games. Like Skyrim for instance - beautiful game... but because I'm alone when I play it.. it's BORING.

I never felt like paying $10-15 USD / month was that big of a deal. It's more expensive going to the movies and a movie only lasts for an hour or two. I can play an MMORPG all month long if I wanted to. Comparatively on a dollar/hour of entertainment value MMORPG's are a far better value for me then most other forms of entertainment.

As for the time it takes to play them... That's another reason I love them. I can sit down with most console games and beat them in 4-6 hours. Then it's just a stupid box sitting on my shelf - often with little to no replay value. At least with MMORPG's it takes days and days to beat them. More value for my dollar (even with the addition of a monthly charge - which every game gives you at least the first 30 days free. Many don't even charge sub fees now.)

Aleph

Was more than a little excited seeing this video come up on the weekend. My teenage, CPv1 self squeed when I saw the setting was seriously being worked on. Be interested to see how they handle the game mechanics since I found them the biggest drawback (Fallout's mechanics are about the limit of what I want to deal with in-game). They'll need them since EMP loss after installing cyberware seems to be the theme of the teaser.

If, like me, you got into the soundtrack, it's by an English outfit called Archive. The song is called Bullets. I've had the sound loop of "Personal responsibility" going around in my head since Sunday...

Callie Del Noire

I am reminded of some of my cpunk games. The one where the players tried to keep their 'meat' as much as possible in particular. We had two solos working as Max-Tax 'consultants'. They didn't do the publicly seen rogues but the ones that skirted the media's eye. The serial killers and quick spree killers that came and went.

One fight was against a full on borg on a skyway, after the borg decided to tender his 'resignation' to the board of the company that was using him. They prepped ahead of time. Paint grenades, pistol launched grenades that were just enough to keep it from catching up with them.. then blowing up the skyway bridge with the borg on the bridge . They had gone in expecting the killer to be a mostly meat and were more than a little upset when he got out of their first ambush (they blew up the elevator it was in. It managed to climb out and grab hold of something..then climbed up twenty stories while broadcasting what it would do to them. Hence the skyway ambush.

Another game was fun.. the GM let us make a team of corporate execs/ops who were on the way up. A rival leaked that they had stolen a bit of cutting edge bio-tech that effectively ended aging. He was using them as a distraction. EVERYONE came looking for them. The game ended with the breakout of a full out corporate war. Of course by that point.. only one player was still alive..and he had just smoked the guy who framed them..and now HAD the cutting edge bio-tech. He went 'open source' with it.

My FAVORITE game was the one where the players discovered they were not actually humans (anymore) but extremely complex 'persona constructs' on a chip. They didn't enjoy being turned 'on and off' all the time, so they arranged their escape and found out that their 'original' selves had been killed by the company that made the chips they were on. Sooooo.. lots of mayhem, body snatching and bombs later there was a company in ruins and five little chips (out of seven) running around in borrowed bodies.