The Hobbit... does it suck?

Started by Beorning, January 07, 2013, 12:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

Just saw it last weekend. It was pretty good - not a masterpiece, but enjoyable. There was a lot of material tacked on, but none of it felt like filler. I didn't even think the sequence at Bilbo's house was too long. It certainly wasn't the "dwarven bacchanal that goes on & on & on" that one reviewer called it.

There were certain bits of business in the escape from the goblin kingdom that devolved into cartoonishness though. I mean, even wizards & dragons can't suspend enough disbelief to get over a footbridge acting like that.

Speaking of which - if you lived in a town that was 90% bridges & catwalks, wouldn't you think about putting up a few guardrails? Just saying.

Slywyn

I really liked the movie.

And I don't agree with 'padding' it, because they're adding in a lot of detail from other books(That wasn't present in the Hobbit itself), that very likely wouldn't get it's own movie. I think it's a good thing that they're adding it into the Hobbit, if for no other reason than those who might not read the books will still get to experience that part of the Lord of the Rings lore.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Mithlomwen

One thing that I do love is Peter Jackson's attention to the little details.  Like for instance, in the first trilogy, the scar on Shelob the spider....and various other small details like that. 

I remember sitting in The Hobbit geeking out because of Gollum's eye shine.  For me that was such a memorable scene simply because it's really the first thing Bilbo gets to see of him, is his shadow and the shining eyes.  The fact that Peter payed homage to that had me almost teary eyed in the theater. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Slywyn

I think it's kinda cool that he does include those. It's not often that a director pays attention to the itty bitty details- which isn't saying that he handled all of this -alone-, I'm sure there was probably a team of people scouring the books for details and stuff.

It just seems like most directors would dismiss it as "Oh, noone will pay attention to that" while he includes as much of it as he can.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.