You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 27, 2016, 11:44:25 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Custom Role Play System :: Elliquiy Edition  (Read 906 times)

Offline Mister VenaliterTopic starter

Custom Role Play System :: Elliquiy Edition
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
Over the course of last night, in between posts for a current thread and discussions on another future thread, I found I had some free time and decided to do something with it. Below is a Custom, and simple, system that incorporates the element of chance as well as the freedom of freeform posting. Rather than try to explain a system to a few people, which I am sure they would understand but would take time and reading, I decided to just make a simple two or three page system.

The system is a WIP but is close to being finished, with the exception of the "Morality to Depravity" System. I have borrowed from quite a few systems, so if you see something and realize its from World of Darkness, Exalts, Shadowrun, or other ... you are probably right. By posting this work in progress, i'm hoping to just get some feed back and opinions. If you have a few moments, I would appreciate them. :)

Warning: There are adult situations present in the examples, primarily in the defensive units section for a descriptive preview of how Pain & Pleasure units work with Resistance.

Custom Role Play System

Traits represent the base of the characters abilities, and what the character is all about on the Statistical side of the role play scene. The two traits are Power and Finesse, which represent two clearly different forms of action and processes. Characters who are typically seen as physically strong and fighters would fit the Power Category, while characters who are more based on intelligence and fine control would fit the Finesse Category.

It is not necessary to pick one, as all characters are given both but at varying degrees decided by the player; or by classes that the storyteller has crafted for the players.

At character creation, a player has the choice between placing two sets of points (6 & 3). These two sets of points represent the trait points the player has to spend, and are the extent to which the character is skilled in that area. The higher the trait is, the more skilled the character is with that specific nature of action or process.

[ Trait Placement Example :: A Fighter would most likely place 6 Trait Points into Power and 3 into Finesse to reflect the years of training and physically demanding training he has put his body through. At the same time, a Duelist may decide to place their 6 Trait Point set into Finesse, and 3 Trait Points into Power to reflect the precision and accuracy of her blade work. A Wizard may have 6 Trait Points placed into Finesse to show the honing of his wit and intellect, while a Caster may have decided to play his 6 Trait Points into Power to reflect she lack of finer control, but sheer force of will she drives into every spell. ]

Power : This trait represents things such as brute force, pure speed, and physically demanding skills.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
[ Power Trait Example :: Zoya, an elvish fighter, is running from a group of ogres. Rather than attempt a fight against the three, she remembers there is a gap in the cliff that descends deep into a natural cavern. Pushing her body to its maximum, she continues her dead sprint through the foliage before leaping across the chasm. ]

[ Power Combat Example :: Zoya is faced with only one ogre now, the sole survivor of an unexpected leap the three had to make. Pulling her sword from its sheath, Zoya is just in time to deflect the blow from the mighty creature. The ogre manages to barely miss Zoya on its second attack, and in a single action she forces her self through the missed attack and lands a savage stab into the Ogre's chest. ]

Finesse : This trait represents things such as acrobatic ability, coordination, timing, and wit.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
[ Finesse Trait Example :: Zoya, an elvish fighter, is running from a group of ogres. Instead of attempting a fight with the three, she constructed and set up a trap early when she first learned of their presence. Leading the three to a specific spot as they chase her, Zoya jumps over the trip wire. The ogres trip over the wire a second later and Zoya drops to the ground as a large log swings down and collides with the three. ]

[ Finesse Combat Example :: Zoya stands up to see that a single Ogre has managed to survive her trap and recovered quickly enough it will be able to attack. When the Ogre swings its large hammer from one side to another, Zoya is able to perform a graceful flip over the creatures weapon to dodge. In the same moment she lands, her body is already twisting and lands a series of slashes across the Ogre's chest. ]

Traits are used in a number of ways that include amazing feats of physicality, such as a leap across a canyon, the setting of a trap, casting of a spell, and even searching for hidden entrances. The ways in which a character uses them can be different though, and are detailed between non-combat and combat uses. If the player elects to expend a temporary trait point, reducing the total trait points in that category by one, until a full nights rest is had, the result is different from a player electing to gamble on the action and rolling a dice.

[ Non-combat Trait Expenditures :: At any time a character is able to expend a trait to automatically succeed, or come closer to succeeding, at any given task. Prolonged tasks require more expenditures than a simple point, but can also be spread out over time, with an "on needed" basis. The thief who breaks into the castle can expend a point to sneak pass the guards and than take in her surroundings without fear before deciding to spend another to unlock the armory doors and slip inside unnoticed. A strong fighter can begin to roll a boulder up a slope, and than pause and hold the boulder in place without worry of losing his grip until he spends another point to finish the task. ]
[ Non-combat Trait Rolls :: Rather than spending a point, the player can decide that she wants to gamble on the action and elect to roll rather than spend an entire point. When this decision is made, the player rolls a single dice for the result of the action. The deciding factor between a roll being a success or failure is if the number rolled is higher or lower than the amount of trait points they currently have left. If the amount is equal or lower, the roll succeeds. If the amount is higher, the rolls fails.
An example would be if Tanya, a human rogue, decided to roll her Finesse (6 Trait Points) to jump from a moving wagon onto another going in the opposite direction. Zoya has 6 remaining Trait Points in Finesse, the player rolls her dice.If the dice comes up with 6 or lower, she succeeds at the action. If the dice comes up 7 or higher, she fails with her attempt. While nothing specifically happens on the first failure, besides the consequence of    failing and what that may result in, a second failure results in a loss of a Temporary Trait Point in that category until a full nights rest is had by the character. ]
[ Combat Trait Expenditure :: Whenever a character takes their round in combat, they are able to expend a temporary point to achieve a set result according to the category. In the case of Power, expending a point ensures an automatic block or an infliction of 3 points of damage to the target; one or the other, not both. In the case of Finesse, the player may expend a point to reduce the damage of an incoming attack by 2 and inflict 1 point of damage, or the reverse. An example would be Zoya, an Elvish Fighter, electing to spend a point and hit Tanya for three damage with a sword attack. A second example would be Tanya electing to spend a point in return, and reduce the damage by two while inflicting a point herself; leaving both at 1 point of damage. A third example would be Tanya electing to spend a point to deflect one point of damage and deal two, with Zoya spending a point to successfully block all the damage from Tanya. ]
[ Combat Trait Rolls :: Instead of expending a temporary point, a player may elect to gamble on his attack and roll a dice just as he would for a non-combat roll. In doing so the character decides which Trait they are attacking from, via how the attack is performed, and attempts to roll a number equal to or lower than their current Trait Points in that category. If the number that is rolled is equal to or less, the attack succeeds and inflicts an amount of damage equal to    the number subtracted from the Trait Points. An example of this would be if Zoya has 6 Trait Points in Power and tries to cleave Tanya with her axe, rolling a 2. The number is less than 6, so it succeeds, and 6 minus 2 is 4, so she does 4 damage with her attack. Another example would be if Tanya saved her action to dodge with 6 Trait Points in Finesse, and rolled a 3. The number is less than 6, so she succeeds in her dodge, and negates 3 damage from Zoya's 4 damage; only taking 1. ]

In this system, combat is decided by a single roll of a dice for each participant. The lower the number is the better with the character being faster than others that have rolled higher than his number.

Zoya and Tanya have decided to team up and take on three ogres. At the start of combat, each participant rolls a dice: Tanya - 3, Zoya - 5, Ogre A - 9, Ogre B - 6, Ogre C - 4. As the lowest results go first, the order of combat would be Tanya(3), Ogre C(4), Zoya(5), Ogre B(6), and than Ogre C(9).

Each turn the character gets one action, and can do with that action whatever they please; within limits designated by the current DM for whatever fits their game. The only outstanding stipulation to combat is that if a player is entering arms reach, or passing by, another character it provokes a free action against them by that characters; Tanya runs by the Ogre, the Ogre gets a chance to act against her. In some cases a character may wish to hold their action, and act in a different spot, if this is the case they are allowed to do this; but can only act after the people that are already behind them. In the above order, Zoya could not act before Ogre C or Tanya with her held action, only after or during Ogre B and C's action.

A combat is over when either side surrenders, is knocked out, or otherwise the fight could not continue.

Resistance : This defensive unit represents things such as pain endurance, pleasure tolerance, and sheer fortitude.

Resistance is a trait based on the physical and mental damage that one sustains during physically grueling tasks, combat, and other activities that can take their toll on the body and mind. Every character initially has a total of 10 Resistance, unless the current DM decides otherwise on a case by case basis; it is unlikely an Ogre will have the same Resistance as a Human or other smaller species. It decides just how sensitive a character is, how much pain tolerance they have, and how much damage they take before passing out.

Each point of damage a character takes is 1 Resistance, and this is reflected through their bodily strength and personal protection. In some cases, additional Resistance can be given if the DM see's fit for Armor and Protection. When a character has their Total amount of Resistance in Damage, they pass out.

The pain endurance and pleasure tolerance are not separated from the Resistance Units, but do not count as true damage each. Every action that results in some major sensation, such as an orgasm from sex or pain spasm from being whipped on bare skin, count as 1 or 2 Units of Resistance. If a character has 10 Resistance, and has taken 6 damage with 4 units of Pain or Pleasure, they pass out as if they have taken 10 damage. It is the same when characters have received 10 Units of Pain and Pleasure, without any damage.

An example of these two situations would be if Zoya had engaged in combat with a horde of goblins. The goblins inflict 4 damage in their attacks, and than one succeeds in capturing Zoya with a rope trap that she fails to escape. After her capture, Zoya is subjected to painful whipping meant to torture her and results in 2 Units of Pain. When Zoya has been reduced to tears, the Goblins proceed to rape and humiliate her, resulting in another 4 Units of Pleasure. At this point she has taken 10 Units total, and she passed out from the Damage, Pain, and Pleasure. The second example we will use Tanya, who has been captured by an Ogre. Being a mindless beast in a mindless tribe of beasts that are driven by instinct, the creature and kin proceed to rape Tanya for the entirety of the night. By the time the sixth Ogre has reached Tanya, and has his own time with her, she has passed out from 10 Units of Pleasure.

In one example, Zoya was subject to all three Unit types and in the other Tanya was only subjected to 1 type but the end result was the same. The difference in the units is how quickly they disappear. Damage can only be removed by rest and healing, via herbs and tools. Pain automatically vanishes after 2 nights of rest, or 1 if healed and taken care of. Pleasure units are gone when the character wakes up after resting.

Morality & Depravity : This scale represents the characters ability to think clearly, make morale judgments, and contain their inhibitions.

Morality & Depravity consists of a simple 10 point system. Each point represents a specific nature or type of behavior, in some cases it could be considered an alignment. Each player decides exactly how the system works for their character, within the following parameters and rules.

[ The average starting rank will be 5 or 6, representing the base average person in that culture; the man or woman who makes a living and doesn't raise any trouble or do anything great. As a character is subjected to events, that number changes by the decisions she makes. If a character acts more purely and with truly innocent intention, her number decreases and her behavior becomes more that of a kind person. If a character acts darkly and only for themselves, that number increases and her behavior becomes more that of cruel person. ]

[ The results and effects of this scale are also determined by what exactly is causing the scale to shift one way or another. If Zoya is raped endlessly one night by the Ogres, and her Depravity increases from her giving in, it is more likely her behavior becomes more wanton than cruel. In contrast, Tanya, who has been whipped, flogged, beaten, and raped will most likely increase as well, but become colder and more prone to anger or resorting to a victimized state. ]

Offline Sarena

Re: Custom Role Play System :: Elliquiy Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience with systems; however, what you've come up with looks very impressive. 

Offline shadowsin

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
Disclosure:  I have played a lot of different game-systems, BUT I'm no authority!

I'm a fan of detail with simplicity, with a dash of realism thrown in for fun. 

I was only able to give your message a quick once-over, but I think it could work very well.  (I am bookmarking it for later reading!)

Thank you for sharing.

Offline Jezabelle

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »
This simply looks awesome; when I try to start a group game, I think I'd used a modified version of this system (adding a trait and slightly altering the ways those work).

Thanks for putting this out here! I've tried to make a simple system before but I always make things like turn order too complex. Bravo, good ser, bravo.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »
Haven't read it in detail yet, but so far, I can't detect any major problems with it. That might well become popular on E. >:)!
I shall follow this thread closely, and read the rules in more detail 8-).

Offline MURI G

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
Seems nice and lightweight! I like it. I don't have any real experience with tabletop systems, but I'd be very interested in playing something based on this.

Have you thought about methods of character customization beyond Finesse and Strength? I'm not sure where there would be room for it, but from my limited knowledge of FATE I'm sure the potential is there for more specialized things depending on a group's taste.

Offline Mister VenaliterTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
I will be adding some updates to it either tonight or tomorrow, in the form of ...

a) Clarifaction
b) Additional Combat, Skill Challenges, & Morality to Depravity
c) Spell Casting

After that the system should be close to done and reach an easy to reach 4-6 pages if everything goes as planned. I ran a trial game last night with some characters generated up and tried to cover every angle I could so I knew where to approach from.

Offline MURI G

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
Ooh, looking forward to it! It's always interesting to hear about these things as they're in development, even if this one didn't take very long. Are you considering running a game with it here to test things out with other players? I'd definitely be interested.