News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

When to call the dog pound....???

Started by Anteros Vox, December 30, 2012, 10:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anteros Vox

So maybe you can help me out with this problem I am having with my neighbor who isn't actually there hasn't been for about two and a half weeks.

My neighbor got a dog, good for him or what ever and at first he was all yeah I have a puppy I guess he didn't realize they were work.

Offense 1.  Leaving the damn thing outside every day no walks just four fence walls.
Offense 2. It howls, like all the time more recently then when it was a small puppy.
Offense 3. POOP! When they cut their lawn it stinks like shit. The wind carries it into my yard.
Offense 4. He's bigger now, but still has no play time outside of the fence so it scratches at my fence digs even.
Offense 5. The weather is 29 - 54 about now has been for these two weeks. Dog doesn't have a dog house just a blanket that he's thrown and chewed into the middle of the yard. Sleeps on a chair and its rained I was gone for about a week and someone HAS come to feed them but once a day. Dry food and water.

So I have been doing what I can to keep the thing from freezing and I go and adjust his blanket to a folded square in the corner. I give him my left overs from meal time over the fence in a bowl that I hold out for him. I made chicken noodle soup and he hate the left overs from the pot which was a lot. I know I shouldn't give him people food but I don't have dog food on me and I don't have the key to the shed where I suspect that his dry food is. His water is in one of those cookie cans and this morning it had a block of ice in it so I warmed up some condensed milk and gave it to him. I figured it was okay cause when I had my dog I gave her that milk too. I want to call the pound but I don't want my neighbor to bitch at me. I texted him, he never replied, but his friend came by to give him some food I don't think he comes every day though I would notice he comes like every other day from what I have seen. I even told him in my text I wouldn't mind taking him for the time being but nada. Anyway advise? I will take a picture in the morning of his living conditions its dark out right now.

Beguile's Mistress

Call them first thing in the morning.  Even if there are no broken laws it's a situation that is disturbing the peace of the neighborhood.

Tsenta

I'd suggest looking into a local animal orginization, I don't know if y'all have an ASPCA there but they do more than just revoke dogs. They can offer assistance to overwhelmed owners etc etc. Feeding once a day isn't TOO bad, so long as it's enough to last through the day but many dogs will pig out and get themselves sick rather than self feed through the day.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Serephino

Definitely take pictures in the morning and report it.  From what you describe, that animal is not being cared for. 

Moraline

I would call a local Vets office and ask them if they think someone should be called about it and who in the area is best to contact.

An organization like the SPCA or some sort of Animal Bi-Law enforcement office might be where they point you to.

From what your describing it sounds bad, but if someone is feeding the dog once a day and the animal is on it's own property then it might be a bit tricky as to how much they can do.

Best to leave it up to the professionals. You could get charged for trespassing onto the neighbors property.

Oniya

If the dog isn't a cold-weather breed (Husky, Newfie, Malamute, St. Bernard), then the absence of a shelter is definitely bad at this time of year.  Even the cold-weather dogs should have a roof they can get under.  ASPCA or the equivalent would be better than the dog pound, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Anteros Vox

They came home today so I guess all is well as far as the dog being supervised. I think though my neighbor is a piece of crap.

mia h

I'd still inform your local animal welfare service. If your neighbour has done this once chances are they'll do it again, if you report it now the animal welfare might be able to persuade them not to leave the dog like that again or if that doesn't work then they at least have a record of the problem and might step a bit more quickly if\when there is a repeat.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Lithos

Depends on dog breed if it needs doghouse outside, our finnish spitz sleeps happily in slow at -20F weather even, it would have a dog house but it never bothers to use it.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Mithlomwen

I would still call your local animal shelter (ASPCA).  It sounds to me as if the animal is suffering from neglect, even when the owner is home.  The ASPCA can take a look at the situation and if they feel the animal isn't being cared for properly, they have legal right to remove the animal and find it a better home. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Quote from: Lithos on January 01, 2013, 06:32:08 AM
Depends on dog breed if it needs doghouse outside, our finnish spitz sleeps happily in slow at -20F weather even, it would have a dog house but it never bothers to use it.

Does it also deal well with rain?  That was what I was mainly thinking about, even with the winter-breeds.  The husky that lived next door to us in Ohio loved the snow, but would get under cover if it was any other form of precipitation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lithos

he likes digging so when it is not snowing on top of some snowpile, and when raining under :P
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Anteros Vox

He has a thick coat yeah it rains here, it rained on New Years. Which was lame... but he's a German Shep mix seems happy to have any attention.
Oh these are the pics I took.

JillianCorvus

Hah, I like the dog ears in the first pic. I won't comment on the general state of the yard, since its winter it's gonna look worse... but kids toys made out of plastic, where the dog gets left all the time? That makes me feel pretty... iffy. We had a german shepherd for all of 2 weeks ( my parents hadn't been informed that it had been raised as a guard dog, and my sisters and I were YOUNG, the dog actually tried to attack us when we made loud noises) who chewed on anything, busted a lot of cheap plastic toys like that, I'd think that'd be a choking hazard. Definitely at least give the local ASPCA/animal control office a call just to see if they agree with your concerns, and they might send someone just to scope the place out.

Dashenka

Get a gun and shoot the owner?

EVERY dog needs a shelter. No matter what breed. It's not just for shelter from the weather, a dog needs a safe place he or she can hide in. The scratching and digging sounds like frustration which could lead to health issues for the dog.

Besides the animal suffering, if the dog is howling all the time and the yard smells like shit (literally) wouldn't that fall under some law? Here in England the laws on dogs are pretty strict, already had my neighbours come at the door the day after I moved in asking if my dog was a barking dog.

So if I were you I'd definitely try to get the dog out of there. For the dog's sake and your own. Pretty sure you can give an anonymous tip so the neighbour won't know it was you.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.