From the Ashes (Teranis,aquinaann)

Started by Teranis, December 30, 2012, 09:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teranis

Teranis made his way back to the city after scouting the outskirts of the territory. The fighting has been getting pretty intense lately about the contested lands since finding small bands of humans seemed to become more scare as time passed onward. The five foot and ten inch tall tan skinned vampire kept those cold silver eyes constantly taking in his surroundings regardless.  He was however very pleased with the most recent turn of events. Guns were now becoming useless because ammunition was nearly non existent. Finally learning the finer art of being a swordsman would pay off.

Teranis would love to just do as he pleased but in this nuclear winter of a world with two warring factions it was best to align and pledge allegiance to one of them. A hand ran fingers through his shoulder length black and silver streaked hair. Some days he regretted having dyed his hair that way far back before he was turned to one of the eternal damned. Regardless, it was fortunate that they have traveled as far as they had to find what was once the human city of Oklahoma City. There had been minimal damage to the buildings and that could be a blessing in disguise.

aquinaann

Her frost blue eyes scanned the once lush cottonwood blanket of the northern Texan territory, now ashen and bleak, and her nose smelled the surrounding air.  For weeks she had been fighting her way through this land in search of a strong band of her own kind to join with.  Back in her home country of Colombia, with the humans killing each other and her fellow vampires deciding to literally feed on the chaos, Amara left the land and the people that she knew once she saw what chaos made them become.  Every time one of them would come across a human, man, woman, or child, the mortal would be slaughtered, carved and served as a banquet.  Now, Amara was not against feeding on humans, but to kill them off as animals, to blame weak mortal children for the nightmarish acts of world leaders, she felt was wrong.  Ever since she left, Amara has run into dozens of human groups, all of them struggling to survive, in much the same position as she.  Perhaps she's too compassionate towards the humans, but she finds it very hard to turn cold against those she may be struggling alongside if events had gone differently those years ago, when she was turned.  To this day, she has only killed or fed on those that were an immediate threat to her life, or who she had witnessed slaughter their own kind.

Moving silently through the ash-covered forest, her chestnut-brown hair trailing down her shoulders, Amara keeps her eyes locked on the moving human patrol, waiting for a chance to slip past without notice.  From the sticky and salty smell of sweat a breeze brought to her nostrils, she noticed that the group only consisted of men, possibly a night patrol scouting for unwanted visitors.  Her footsteps muffled by the fallen ash, she took great care to keep her distance, as these folk had a good number of rifles on them, and she didn't want to risk the bullets not being silver.  She had once been run out of a temporary shelter by a group of humans that recognized her as a vampire, and those scars took a while to heal.  Sneaking behind the patrol, she dashed off with incredible speed through the darkness, her vampiric vision allowing her to dodge countless branches, trees, and rocks.

Teranis

Teranis was getting to the point he needed to feed but he would manage. Was never easy when you refused to do so on human females or children. With arms crossed he stood in a room of what was the makeshift command center. A grunt let loose as he would impatiently wait for the woman who always told him what his next objective was. Teranis did not mind this one bit, in fact he preferred it as it gave him something to do all the time. Usually, he could put off having to stay wherever it was they decided to settle or take as their own.  Teranis kept waiting, as usual, wondering why they did not just have a group of people that could pass out objectives as opposed to specific scouts and soldiers as himself being assigned a commander. Finally Illeanna would set foot into the room and he would bow accordingly.

"You need to look for other vampires in need of help by yourself. Yes I know, we have healthy numbers among us. However we always need to be aware of those that can become part of our family... possibly even out fighting force."  Illeanna said to him as she looked him square in the eyes. It was always like that with this russian woman; Always had to get the point across firmly. Considering her frame was thin but muscular he could appreciate why.  "Understood, and alone works quite well. You know how long I have been requesting this, no offense to the others but I fare better by myself." said in reply to Illeanna before lifting a eyebrow. "My plan of action s to simply direct most of them on how to reach this outpost. If needed I will guide those in need of my assistance back here. Is this acceptable?" was quickly said so the woman did not even have to ask.

"Acceptable, and may I suggest carrying a additional weapon so if needed another can defend him of herself?" she asked Teranis, although it was more of a order. A smile on her lips knowing that he always did right by her and followed through. "Yes, I shall do that now and be on my way. I shall waste no time." Teranis told his commanding officer and made a quick trip right to his quarters. After pulling on some old and battle scarred military armor of the old human military, Teranis put on a sheath to each hip and one upon his back. Choosing his two finest swords, and a very nice one just in case it was needed he armed himself and immediately made his way to the Oklahoma and Texas border. Recently it seemed the humans were discovering more of his kind and it was better they be at the outpost then fleeing constantly. Or worse, killed by humans who should keep to themselves are be blood dolls for Teranis's faction.

aquinaann

Night turned to day as Amara ran east across the land.  She was fortunate, and only had to sneak by two more groups of humans as she trekked.  Before too long, the smell and sounds of moving water danced in the air, a river, and maybe only a mile away.  Amara sighed and wiped her brow.  A river means more people, more animals, and more work to remain unnoticed.  However, she had been running for most of the night, hasn't fed in a week, and although she was immortal, could use a quick rest while the land was silent.  Looking around, there didn't seem to be a good cave to take shelter in, so she put on her leather fingerless gloves, made sure her boots were on tight, and used her claws to help make her way about twelve feet up a large tree.  Finding a solid branch to sit on, she straddled it and leaned back against the steady trunk of the tree.  The silver dagger she carried tucked inside her leather jacket felt comforting as she let her eyes rest, a trinket stolen from the monsters she thought she knew, but a weapon she knew how to handle, as seen by the bloodstains on the wooden hilt. 

Teranis

Teranis had been making solid ground for the entire night into the day. Using woods and shells of buildings that were scattered about he had managed to only kill less then a handful of humans. The big trouble the scout managed to find on this mission of his were the rival faction. Teranis knew that the rival scouts lacked decent training as they were seen by their commanders as more of a expendable unit in the war. What they lacked in skill, they always made up for in numbers. After what seemed like a endless sea of rival vampires, and various limbs flying and bodies falling to the ground Teranis looked around. 

As he wiped his blade down he realized there was water closeby. Great, scouts were enough a pain but the humans you came across fought to the death. Teranis really did not want to have to report back to Illeanna with mass human casualties. That means that they would be cutting the blood supply captured even more thin then they already were. Sheathing the swords he would lean against a tree; Looking upwards to look for any human snipers. It was rare for any vampires he knew to go that far in a treeline just to ambush a human or rival. Taking note of the girl in the rather tall tree for this area he would give a nod that would more then likely go unnoticed.

aquinaann

The warm breeze shifted as Amara leaned against the thick trunk. She suddenly smelled blood and sweat, but heard no heartbeat. Her back stiffened and her eyes flew open as she realized one of her own kind was close, too close for her liking. She scanned the area around her and saw him. Damn...too close for her to flee.  If she ran, it would look suspicious. He would chase her, and she would likely be caught.  Not wanting to risk injury in a fight, there was only one option; It was time to say hello, for a change.

She decided to acknowledge the nod with one of her own, right before she leapt gracefully from her perch on the tree, landing on her feet.  With a nervous smile, she waved hello.

Teranis

Me watched as Amara hit the ground and then waved to him. Well, that was a bit of a relief seeing as she was not trying to pull out a weapon to attack. She was not running off so maybe Teranis could bring one to a safe haven; Even if it was a faction outpost. "Did you get chased or spot a crowd and run?" he would ask calmly and patiently to Amara. Noticing the silver dagger he noted the stains upon it and smiled some for a change. "You fight well I see. Here, take this; It's your new blade." mused before handing her the katana that had been confiscated quite some time ago on a raid. She would be given the sheath as well after it was removed from his back.

"I take it you have not only run across humans, but our own kind as well? Those who are bandits and scavengers who belong to neither faction?" Teranis would ask and wait to hear what this girl had to say before continuing the conversation.

aquinaann

She felt relieved once she saw that the man meant her no harm.  Her five and a half foot frame was a little shorter than his, but she met his eyes as he spoke.  "Not exactly." she said.  "When the humans decided to turn this planet to ash and dust, the vampires I considered friends turned into monsters and fed on the chaos that erupted.  I wasn't gonna go along with the game they were playing, so I stole my dagger and I fled.  I had to kill a number of them on my way out of town, and since then I have had the occasional run-in with rouge humans or vampires, but I've kept away from the large groups."  She took the offered weapon and tested its weight and feel in her hands.  It was bigger than she was used to, but she was sure she could learn.  "What about you?  What are you doing out here?" she asked.

Teranis

As Amara seemed to relax just a bit he would be a bit less on edge during this outing. Eyes would keep focused upon hers as she spoke and would consider his words carefully. Last thing he wanted to do is say something the wrong way and either be attacked, after handing her a blade; Or worse have her run off. "I see, well this is very true of our kind. In fact there's quite a decent number of them running loose still doing so..." said a bit aggravated at the thought of it. "At least you got a weapon and got free from all that, luckily for me I happened to be in a area where they actually decided to join together and work as one to survive in a less barbaric manner." added as he looked around just one more time for any new humans or his own kind about. "As far as being out here, I was sent by my commanding officer to scout this area before either faction clashes with the outcasts of our kind; And to bring back any who wish safe haven. There's no requirement to be part of our 'family' unlike the other faction who simply want to rule every inch of the known world. We simply want to exist and do what's in the best interest for all and not simply go by the "rule by force" attitude of the other side."  Teranis would say and give her a moment to take that all in.

aquinaann

What this man was saying sounded very interesting to Amara.  A band of vampires, using their combined strengths and weaknesses to maintain an order of peace, one acre or rogue at a time.  She could use a good family, a sense of structure and belonging.  This group sounded like the beginnings of a small army troop.  Amara nodded her head and took a deep breath as she weighed everything that was being said, and offered.  "Alright, say I'm in and I like the idea of what you guys have going here.  What happens next?  What do I expect?"  Taking the serious look out of her eyes, and replacing it with a softer one she asked, "And what, might I ask, is your name, mysterious vampire who trusts me with a sword?  Mine's Amara."

Teranis

He had watched her carefully, and could see that she was not a threat. Well, not to him at least anyway and could become a pretty good fighter. Teranis waited very patiently and when she finished would speak up. "Well, first I would introduce you to my commanding officer during my report. As far as what to expect? Well, they will ask you many things so they can sort out what your strengths are and go from there." he told Amara and nodded firmly. "Of course I could always try to get a good word in for you as well." added as a smile crept upon his face at the thought of being mysterious. "My name is Teranis, and I usually am a good judge of who can be trusted. Not to mention I protect those who are part of my faction; Or that need someone to watch their back." he said with a bit of a pause. "Also, I saw your dagger and felt that if we needed to fight alongside each other a blade would far better suit you."

aquinaann

Amara started to regret sitting up in that tree the way she did, as her back was beginning to feel sore.  She listened to Teranis as he spoke, and nodded.  When he had finished speaking, she clasped her hands together above her head and leaned back, stretching her back and unintentionally exposing her midriff.   "Okay, well I am decent with a knife, I will have to learn how to wield a katana.  For the most part, I've been avoiding trouble.  I may be suited for reconnaissance, but that's for the superior officer to determine."  She rolled her shoulders.  "Sorry, it's just sitting up in that tree wasn't the most comfortable.  Anyway, a good word would be greatly appreciated."  She scanned him over with her eyes, a strong looking man like him is definitely well suited to look out for her as needed.  Amara smirked.  "Interesting choice of weapon, Teranis.  Would you be able to train me?  It seems like you have quite a bit of experience fighting with a blade.  That is, after I talk to your officer and go through the usual hoops."

Teranis

Teranis watched her stretch and nearly expected to hear her back pop. That middrift was certainly noticed, but he was very subtle about the glance; Hoping that Amara would not notice. "I see, well with a katana it is more about blocking, finesse and timing your strikes. More then anything it is getting used to just how it cuts and your reach." Teranis would say knowingly. After all, it had taken him some time to adjust to one as well back when had first picked on up. "Well, that is what I seem to be doing more often then not now, scouting close to new outposts and faction interests. Yes, it will up to Illeanna; I really have no final say I only get to suggest," he would tell her and make sure he was close enough just in case some outcast came out of nowhere. "I can imagine, nearly as bad as kneeling on a ledge for hours it can get to you; And giving a good word is the least I can do for you." A smirk on his lips as eyes finally trailed over her form. "I was always intrigued by them, a commander noticed and gave me the clearance to train fully with them." A brief pause as a limb snapped, but fell by itself. "Of course I would, although like you said, it's teh usual chain of command and approval to go through. Look at the bright side, at least it isn't as bad as the former governments about the world yes?"

aquinaann

Amara nodded,"I wholeheartedly agree with you.  I know that my government was a bit corrupted at heart.  I just figured that I should figure out the kinds of rules I'll be playing by from now on.  They sound pretty reasonable." she said.  I mean, you don't seem very brainwashed, as far as I can tell." Amara added with a smirk.  "We should probably start heading back to camp, and I could use that extra sheath you're carrying, if you don't mind."  She sighed as she listened to the sounds of the forest around them, quiet with the usual sounds of animals.  The wind carried no smells that were out of place.  "By the way, Teranis, thanks for not trying to kill me on site.  It's appreciated."

Teranis

"Well, after the humans decided to lose what minds they had left three factions of our kind gathered. Those who wanted to try to make the best of what was left of the world, those who wanted anyone other then themselves dead, and those who took neither side and did what had to be done to survive." Teranis would say and nod firmly. "Thankfully I found those who wanted to make some use out of what is left after all the chaos." said before handing Amara the sheath. "True, last thing either of us really want is to be caught out here after the sun goes down. That is when things really get crazy and dangerous." A hand through his hair as he looked to the horizon. "Welcome, I have never been one to just go killing recklessly; I prefer self defense honestly, and I appreciate you not trying to attack as well."  mused with a bit of a smirk as Teranis would prepare for the trip back to the outpost.