The Salonbox -For Exploration by Discussion

Started by The Great Triangle, May 30, 2008, 12:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 04, 2008, 05:23:37 PM
If you frequent the introduction threads, why?  Are your silly questions just plain silly, or is there a method to your madness?

Having spoken to many new members before (and now), there are some who find it easier to blend in after approval, and some who find it extremely difficult. Sometimes, it's just a matter of time; however, sometimes it's more of being overwhelmed or not knowing what is offered, and being generally confused.

Welcoming people in the introduction threads lessens this. Also, I think it's important for new members to understand what Elliquiy is, exactly - more than a few members have left upon approval because they found that E wasn't exactly their cup of tea. I have my funny questions, but when I frequent introductions, it is mostly to ask them serious things. ^^ There is enough silliness that I feel I can do it without making the atmosphere all heavy and serious.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Great Triangle

I go into the introductions to follow the example of my nickname mate GT.

I like to try and get people who are similar in interests to me started and running on the site.  It may be a little selfish, but I only have so much time and I prefer to help people I'd like to RP with, since that makes life better for everyone.

My questions actually do have a meaning behind them:

Puppies or Shoggoths:  This question measures how well inclined a person is towards extremely exotic things and the unknown, which can be helpful.

How much X could a XX X if a XX could X X:  This question measures an applicants ability to deal with an abstract language problem.  An even remotely coherent answer is considered a good thing with this question, which I mostly only ask to challenge people.

Leather, Lace, Silk, or Metal: A quick gauge of an applicant's aesthetics and general level of kinkiness. 

Who's your favorite Disney princess: A pretty fast gauge of how seriously a person takes himself and how in touch they are with their inner child based on the response.

There's an X, it's clearly lost, but you're not helping: A measure of an applicant's ability to engage a roleplaying scenario in a limited situation.  Unimaginative answers to this question are considered a bad thing, but blade runner references are just plain golden.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Alrighty...New Topic Time!! (I'm going to run out eventually! *giggles*)

How do you pick your writing partners on Elliquiy?

For me, it's all about their OOC personalities.  There is only one current writing partner of mine who I did not chit chat with before the story started.  Matter of fact, had he not contacted me I probably would never have had and kind contact with him! (but I am so glad he did *hugs to him*)  I find now though that I am quite iffy to start stories with people I have not had at least -some- contact with.  Am I being picky?

ShrowdedPoet

Very VERY carefully. . .*shifty eyes*  *wispers* "it's a secret. . ."
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Cutter

No, its a rather normal selection process. Makes sense.  Greenie! ;)

I've been extremely fortunate, my writing partners have chosen me. And thus I am very flattered and grateful.

Some I've had contact with before, others out of the blue PM-s.

Again, I've had a charmed life here so far~! ;D
I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

The Great Triangle

Latch on and start flailing and pumping away with tentacles.

Oh wait, meant how I get my writing partners...

Generally, PMs, lots and lots of PMs to find out who's interested.  I typically pick based on one on one ads, or OOC chat leading to the discovery of a common interest.  Introduction threads I take an interest in are another good source of writing partners.

I'm willing to engage in a random story with someone I've never chatted with before, but I'm also really unafraid of having a story die.   :)

Ons and Offs

Caeli

Writing partners... hmm...

For the most part, I tend to jump into their post history and look for their writing styles. I want to make sure we seem at least halfway compatible, in our styles.

The other.. I find that the roleplays I tend to get more excited about are roleplays that I've at least halfway discussed with my partners, and we've both gotten excited about, plotting future scenes or swapping ideas. ^_^

However, it's mostly give and take. I contact people I'm interested in, otherwise I just put up a request in my request thread and wait for PMs.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Tant de Tentation

OOC personalities, completely.  I can RP almost anything with someone I like, and whose general tastes run close to mine.  Of course, I don't like just *anyone*... :P  I've also been experimenting with several people I don't know that well, because that's what newbies should do, I think, on the basis that they seem sane enough and share a few interests with me.

And if I get to suggest a new topic... (if not, ignore this)

How do you know when a(n) RP/story's really done?

I tend to feel as though I have to bring everything to a neat conclusion; either irretrievably tragic; comic and thus lacking in further conflict; or something with some weight and meaning, at the least... I have trouble with open-ended endings, though they seem so popular in fiction--and I have trouble with RPs that drag on forever, which seems to be popular in RP-land.  If I try to leave something open, I'll just end up continuing the RP far longer than I should, because I'm in my comfort zone, rather than begin something new--and I hate that.

Clearly, I don't know when an RP or story is really done.  Incidentally--is it aN RP or a RP, since it's pronounced as if it begins with  vowel?  An ahr-pee.  Uh ahr-pee sounds... wrong.

Hm.
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.

Greenthorn

Anyone can suggest a topic..I was just the one who was coming up with them *laughs*

For me...if I just cannot make a post, no matter how hard I try...it's over.  Or, if I am finding the story to be draggings or flat out boring and I am not comfortable making suggestions to liven it up...it's over.  Or, if I begin to feel like it has no plot...it's all about sex, sex, sex..it's over.  Wow...many things could mean it's over for me!  (*pets her partners* No worries, I love all my current stories *smiles*)

Paradox

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 06, 2008, 09:16:56 AM
Anyone can suggest a topic..I was just the one who was coming up with them *laughs*

For me...if I just cannot make a post, no matter how hard I try...it's over.  Or, if I am finding the story to be draggings or flat out boring and I am not comfortable making suggestions to liven it up...it's over.  Or, if I begin to feel like it has no plot...it's all about sex, sex, sex..it's over.  Wow...many things could mean it's over for me!  (*pets her partners* No worries, I love all my current stories *smiles*)

With a partner like you, it's often hard not to desire quite a bite of sex, sex, sex.

*wipes the brown from his nose*

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Greenthorn

Quote from: Paradox on June 06, 2008, 09:28:50 AM
With a partner like you, it's often hard not to desire quite a bite of sex, sex, sex.

*wipes the brown from his nose*

*cracks up*

Greenthorn

Ohhhh I have another topic!

Do any of you use the Buddy feature?

I have many of you on there *grins*, mostly my writing partners and people I stalk really like talking to!

Paradox

Yes, I definitely do.

It tends to be quite annoying, however, when someone unchecks the "Show others your online status?" box, then posts anyway.

Ooooh, but you wouldn't know anything about that, now would you espina? *glares*

I use it to keep track of my writing partners and potential partners, as well as people I just find interesting or PM a lot. Most of the people I'm friendly with in the steambox are on my buddy list, so I think it's up to around a score or more now.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 06, 2008, 09:41:35 AM
Ohhhh I have another topic!

Do any of you use the Buddy feature?

I have many of you on there *grins*, mostly my writing partners and people I stalk really like talking to!

*nods* i do! in fact, i put myself on it, so i know if i'm here... sometimes i'm not quite sure... *grins* no, seriously, i find it helpful, being a bit of a... umm... social butterfly... *blushes*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Greenthorn

Quote from: Cherri Tart on June 06, 2008, 11:25:03 AM
*nods* i do! in fact, i put myself on it, so i know if i'm here... sometimes i'm not quite sure... *grins* no, seriously, i find it helpful, being a bit of a... umm... social butterfly... *blushes*

Cherri I have myself on my buddy list! *laughs*

The Great Triangle

I don't use the buddy list, I just don't have much use for it and such. 

Does it have any particular special functions?

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 06, 2008, 12:07:34 PM
I don't use the buddy list, I just don't have much use for it and such. 

Does it have any particular special functions?

Well at the bottom of the forum indx page it shows your buddies in bold.  I wish it did the same in the who's online list, but it doesn't.  *shrugs*

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 06, 2008, 12:01:45 PM
Cherri I have myself on my buddy list! *laughs*

lol - seriously? that is too funny! *grins*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

The Great Triangle

Alright, New Topic:

Is it better to live by honor, or by instinct?

If you had a choice between living based on the mores of a chosen society, or living based entirely on your own feelings, which would you choose?  Why?

Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

I'd say you have to go by a little of both. . .
Ons and Offs

Paradox

I would live my own way, as long as it fit within the cultural norms.

Living in the midst of a group of people, yet going against their traditions is often downright rude. Plus it could be quite dangerous, depending on the values of that society. They could retaliate violently if they feel offended enough by your deviation.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Paradox on June 06, 2008, 01:13:02 PM
I would live my own way, as long as it fit within the cultural norms.

Living in the midst of a group of people, yet going against their traditions is often downright rude. Plus it could be quite dangerous, depending on the values of that society. They could retaliate violently if they feel offended enough by your deviation.

Uhm. . .I generally rub everybody in this area the wrong way because I live my way and it doesn't fit into their traditional old time christian values.  AND it makes me so happy to see their angry faces because I don't give a crap what they think, I'm happy. . .unlike them. . .
Ons and Offs

Paradox

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on June 06, 2008, 01:15:53 PM
Uhm. . .I generally rub everybody in this area the wrong way because I live my way and it doesn't fit into their traditional old time christian values.  AND it makes me so happy to see their angry faces because I don't give a crap what they think, I'm happy. . .unlike them. . .

I'm not an old-time christian. Not by a long shot, but the goth/punk/radical/whatever thing still annoys me. I don't care if someone dresses or lives that way; however, when they feel the need to shove it in my face, I have every right to feel the way I do. It's completely disrespectful.

By the way, contrary to your opinion, I actually am happy, and I kind of resent that comment. Try not to lump all Christians into one category. After all, isn't that what you hate so much about the way people stereotype Wiccans and Pagans? I don't think that just because someone is angry at your appearance/lifestyle means that they're unhappy with their own.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Paradox on June 06, 2008, 01:21:43 PM
I'm not an old-time christian. Not by a long shot, but the goth/punk/radical/whatever thing still annoys me. I don't care if someone dresses or lives that way; however, when they feel the need to shove it in my face, I have every right to feel the way I do. It's completely disrespectful.

By the way, contrary to your opinion, I actually am happy, and I kind of resent that comment. Try not to lump all Christians into one category. After all, isn't that what you hate so much about the way people stereotype Wiccans and Pagans? I don't think that just because someone is angry at your appearance/lifestyle means that they're unhappy with their own.

I wasn't lumping all christians in that catagory, just the ones I deal with. . .I thought I made that clear in what I said.  Oh, and these people ARE unhappy. . .always complaining and frowning about everything, that indicates unhappiness to me.  And What do you mean by throwing it in peoples faces?  Do they like scream at you or something?  *is confused*
Ons and Offs

Paradox

They act in certain ways that they know will make the average person on the street uncomfortable. You're right, however. You did specify that it was the people "in your area". Sorry about that.