50s, 60s and 70s Music!

Started by LunarSage, December 13, 2012, 01:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Does anyone else like that musical era?  If so, what are your favorite songs?  Are there any songs that you can't listen to without getting emotional?

J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers - Last Kiss

Last Kiss.  I literally can't hear it without tearing up.  So sad.

I do like the original American Pie by Don Mclean quite a bit.

Oh!  Chantilly Lace by the Big Bopper!

Chantilly Lace-The Big Bopper-1958

California Dreaming by the Mamas and the Papas.

Oh and Lovin' Spoonfuls...

Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind - Loving Spoonful

Damn.  There are so many that I absolutely adore.  *passes out*

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Lilias

I can't particularly relate to most of the era. But I started being aware of music in the second half of the 70s, and I still have a thing for disco anthems like these (and their cheesy videos):

Earth Wind and Fire - Lets Groove

The Brothers Johnson - Stomp!

Yes, I know the particular songs are from the turn of the 80s, but the 70s spirit is strong.

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

yobo

I haven't listened to a lot of music from the 50s, but there are so many gems from the 60s and 70s. Way to many to mention really, but here are three at least.

Jeff Waynes Musical version of War of the Worlds: Part 1- Eve of War

Arlo Guthrie - Coming Into Los Angeles (live 1969) HD

David Bowie- Starman

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

My sisters lived through the 60's (although they were too young to get into any 'interesting' situations), so when I was growing up, I had 60's and 70's music all around.  I'm a big fan of The Who, Pink Floyd - actually, most of the British Invasion, as well as a number of Midwestern bands like Styx, Journey, Chicago, and the like.

As for 'emotional' songs, does it count if the band formed in the 70s, but released the song after the decade was over?  Because I've got two candidates for that one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

I grew up with parents who have a mammoth collection of 60s era folk on vinyl & play it a lot, so I've got a sentimental attachment to stuff like:

Pete Seeger - Guantanamera

LunarSage

I'm actually pretty surprised.  I have not heard of a single one of the songs or even the artists that have been mentioned since my first post so far.  I guess I don't know that era's music as well as I thought.

Oniya:  Sure it counts!  Why not?  ;D

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Avis habilis

In that case, here are a couple more prime examples:

Hoyt Axton - Greenback Dollar

Alice's Restaurant - Original 1967 Recording

That's not a typo; "Alice's Restaurant" really does go on for 18 minutes.

Oniya

*tips hat*

From Boston, released in 1986, 'Can'tcha Say'

Boston - (Can't you say) You Believe in me

and from Kansas, released around 1995, 'Hope Once Again'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYz3NhOyTM#!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Torch

Quote from: Avis habilis on December 14, 2012, 03:27:09 PM

Yes, it does and it just doesn't seem like Thanksgiving without hearing it at least once.

In fact, dozens (probably hundreds) of radio stations across the US play that song at noon on Thanksgiving Day. It's become something of a tradition, like watching "It's a Wonderful Life" on Christmas Eve.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

yobo

Quote from: Avis habilis on December 14, 2012, 03:27:09 PM

And it makes me chuckle every time I hear it. :-)

Oniya

I did 'Alice's Restaurant' for my college talent night one year.  The line 'But I didn't come here to talk about that' always gets 'em.

Lilias

~Wendell Berry