You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 10:14:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The World of Darkness Thread  (Read 11109 times)

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

Re: The World of Darkness Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 10, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »
I do love the Changeling for nWoD so much.  Much much better than previous.  Just don't like much else for nWoD.

Offline wander

« Reply #301 on: May 10, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »
I have all the lines except for Mage from the nwod, though I've had a time reading the Mummy corebook and taking it all in...

I got into Werewolf when 2nd edition came out. I heard good things, took the plunge to look through it and now it's one of my fave lines, when before my faves were Changeling and Geist. Demon is okay, but never been in a game long enough to really get into using the system. The Cover compromisation rules are good though. Right now I'd rather play a GMC Mortal game to a Hunter:the Vigil one.

I'm hoping for 2nd edition for Geist, because 1st edition is pretty broken in some sections. I think it has some great fluff though, so it could use some love. Sadly, I don't see too many nwod games here onsite, though I advertise in playing in solo games with the option for freeform in my request thread. I think these games have enough fluff to be excellent worlds to play freeform in, even though I love me some dicerolling. :)

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
I was such a huge fan of the first Demon..it's hard to really love the new one.

Offline Caehlim

« Reply #303 on: May 11, 2015, 01:59:02 AM »
Mage the Awakening's coming very close to release, and as such are showing off the new spellcasting system.

What are peoples' thoughts on this?

Yes, yes, so much yes! I love what this guy's doing with everything for Mage. I was a bit iffy about the 2nd edition stuff after reading the GMC core rules, but after reading Werewolf 2nd edition and these releases for Mage I'm totally on board.

I was such a huge fan of the first Demon..it's hard to really love the new one.

My problem with the new Demon is the same problem I had with the first. Neither of them fit into the cosmology of the other game lines.

My players want me to run a Demon game while we wait for Mage 2nd Edition to be released, I was pretty keen at first since Demon has some cool ideas, but I'm a bit more reluctant now that I've realized I can't use the same world-building for both very easily.

Offline wander

« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »
I don't know, I think the Demon stuff slips in fairly easily tbh. It's just an extension of the default God-Machine Chronicle stuff. I tend to think in my head-canon that; a) The G-M is maintaining The Lie, or b) The G-M is keeping the Abyss from spreading further. More likely the former tbh though from reading Demon it seems the Machine is more a tool for oppression and making the world of darkness what it is, a darker shade of our own world.

I recommend rereading the Pain Prophet story in the original nwod corebook, it has thinly veiled references to Atlantis and such in there, through the eye of God-Machine stuff. Though I hear the backstory of Mage 2nd edition is going through some changes, because in my headcanon, the God-Machine was probably responsible for creating the Blessed Isle where mankind learned magic from the Dragons, which would become Atlantis.

One point to make between Demons and Mages, is that Demons can gain Aether from the Astral Realms, just as they can in the Fallen World. That means the God-Machine has cogs there and Angels can appear there too.

Hope that helps Caehlim. ^__^

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Imfinewhydoyouask? Canyoutastetime?Ican
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #305 on: May 11, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Well, even with the old stuff, each of the cosmologies were their own separate thing. The stories/backgrounds/plots of each 'species' were standalones, though there was some blurring in the old stuff (lookin' at you Mage and Werewolf) but in the end, they were things that were more than capable of standing on their own two feet. I know it's noted in a few of the books, namely the Apocalypse books for each, that mixing is up to the GM in question. It's up to the GM how to mix the cosmologies and make them fit with one another.

So it was more a case of "what version of the truth are you using?" than of anything else.

Offline Dice

• Ooh, shiny.
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Autocorrect will do its thing. Sorry about that.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2015, 11:09:15 PM »
Always found the old world Demon to fit very well. When you look at Angels more or less creating Vampires, you can see how fucked up the world is and it really pushes you to question who is good and bad.

Also, a group of Angels that decided to live with and defend humans who then later got thrown into a hole, yea, I would be pissed too and that I think makes the game.

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Imfinewhydoyouask? Canyoutastetime?Ican
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #307 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »
Yeah, that was during the Rebellion and the angels left behind were the one's who were dickish anyways, (I'm sorry, as a human who values knowledge, a whole group of beings dedicated to keeping humans under chains of ignorance get the 'dick' label instantly) it's no surprise they brought down a weird wrath that punished mankind moreso than the sinner who committed the crime in the first place.

Let's not forget the Rebels got really really dark near the end of the rebellion, really all of it went to hell (pun intended) in a handbasket fast.

Offline Dice

• Ooh, shiny.
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #308 on: May 12, 2015, 01:52:28 AM »
Oh Yea, I know. It all adds to the joy in my view. I have an rp going on here right now exploring the outcome of that in a modern setting. It's such a great motivation for a story.

Offline wander

« Reply #309 on: May 12, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
Sounds cool, Dice. :)

I've still yet to find someone to play the new Demon:the Descent with me here, though admittedly another 20th anniversary edition I'm looking forward to a little will be the owod's Demon:the Fallen.

I still like Demon:the Descent, though it gets rid of near all the old mythology of Lucifer and things are in name only, there was no big rebellion, it happens a little bit every day now, as the God-Machine may not be so perfect (I do like the other idea that it's making Angels into Demons as part of some massive gambit however...) and an Angel can fall at any time from it's set Mission.

Still, more traditional demons still exist in the nwod... Maeljin (confirmed to be born from Inferno's darkness in D:tD) and other spirits from or polluted by Inferno can come along and possess people, which are playable if you have the book, Inferno.
These are more like the demons from Demon:the Fallen, due to the ability to possess. They take form from occult lore such as satanism and are based around the seven sins for the most part. There are Infernal Princes (Rank 9 demons) that have names shared with the devil, such as Leviathan, Lucifer and Beelzebub. The Adversary himself is a Rank 10 demon (Maeljin come in at Rank 8) and anything over Rank 5 is left unstatted and left to Storyteller caveat.

Best of all is the ST is encouraged to make up their own cosmology into how Inferno fits in with the rest of the new world of darkness. I personally prefer to keep it as a dimension of evil and state some mysterious links between it and the Beast inside vampires along with the Chthonians that dwell in the darker depths of the Underworld.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2015, 06:34:57 PM »
(I'm sorry, as a human who values knowledge, a whole group of beings dedicated to keeping humans under chains of ignorance get the 'dick' label instantly)

Praise Technocracy, fuck Trads.

Offline Geeklet

« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
Your local Virtual Adept here, reminding you to HACK THE PLANET!

Offline marauder13

• A Patient Male
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Always on the lookout for my next friend.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Your local Virtual Adept here, reminding you to HACK THE PLANET!

And as one of the Euthanatos, time to cull those who are preventing the Wheel from turning properly.

Offline wander

« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »
Heh, the Technocracy and one particular Void Engineer in particular did mess up things greatly by helping cause the 6th Great Maelstrom and Avatar Storm of 1999... The Smiling Lord sending Spirit bombs to Enoch didn't help matters either... And the whole thing wouldn't have happened if Zapathasura the Ravnos Antideluvian didn't wake up and start throwing down with some Bodhissatva...

But I'm still blaming the Technocracy...

Because Xerxes Jones...  ;D

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
The Premium Edition kickstarter for Beast: The Primordial is live.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/beast-the-primordial-prestige-edition

And to drum up hype, the preview document of the full rulebook - about 99% of the actual rules, but unproofed and without page citations is up for free too:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/beast-the-primordial-prestige-edition

Offline SkynetTopic starter

« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
I think you accidentally copied the same link twice.

Anyway, link to the Google Doc of Beast.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #316 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:37 AM »
Oops yeah.

Offline Dice

• Ooh, shiny.
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #317 on: June 04, 2015, 01:47:51 AM »
New world, dam.

Offline wander

« Reply #318 on: June 04, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Oh I'll be reading that corebook later for sure! ^^

Kinda sad there aren't any stretch goals as it is, though I think they're just looking to get the book out, Onyx Path have their hands mad-full at the moment with a variety of projects.

I am really, really wanting Wraith 20 to come out, though art notes are still coming in for it. I think the way development looks, the Nwod 2nd edition corebook will be coming out next. Which is essentially a brand new corebook for nwod putting the GMC rules updates in with some nice new improvements since the works been done on the other 2nd edition books for something nice and central.
Even though each 2nd edition book has the core rules included, the Merit lists have been a bit trimmed down to thematically fit the supernaturals, so having a book with more options is always good.

« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
Wasn't God-Machine supposed to be the 2nd Edition Corebook? ???

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #320 on: June 04, 2015, 06:19:40 PM »
It is, yeah - The God-Machine Chronicles is the 2e Core book.

Offline wander

« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:41 AM »
Yes and no.

The GMC updates the rules as given in the new world of darkness corebook, though it seems that the devs at Onyx Path want one central book and it doesn't look like nwod 2nd edition is going to be a reskin of the God-Machine Chronicle but something completely new. For example, reading the GMC infront of me now, it shows off the new Aspirations, Virtues and Vices and has a list of updated Merits, though it doesn't actually detail fully how to create a character, Attribute and skill distribution along with what the skills do (or how many Merit points your character gets), you still need the corebook for that. Demon, 2nd edition Vampire and 2nd edition Werewolf do tell you how to generate full characters though, same as Beast does, as will all the 2nd edition books. GMC does not though.

So the 2nd edition corebook is basically placing the old corebook and GMC rules update together, along with errata that's been picked up in the meantime and I'm sure there'll be some nice new art and fluff written pieces in there too.

Btw, flicked through Beast and it's pretty damn cool... Its a bit early days for me to comment just yet, but I totally plan to try and put a Beast character together and add them in my request thread, to learn more of the system and maybe write as one too.

Five main groups, which are basically Strength giants (Anakim), Darkness predators (Eshmaki), smothering Sea-Monsters (Makara), the Repulsive (Namtaru) and Watchful flyers (Ugallu).
Then they have a Hunger. These come under Power (getting one over others mostly), a Hoard (loads of stuff!), Prey (hunting/chasing/scaring people for the lulz), Punishment (pretty self-explanatory, punishing wrong-doers) and Ruin (smashing stuff up).

Lair is the power stat... Doesn't seem to have much in the way of a con for raising it too high aside from if the Lair is too big, privacy there becomes an issue and from a quick glance, looks like enemies may find it easier to catch you there, not sure about that though.

Legend and Life are the Virtue/Vice mechanic.
Legend is the way your Beast hunts and how their myth/legend will refer to them and the most terrifying aspect of them in one word. Acting in accordance with Legend gives back 1 willpower, acting as it to the Beast's detriment fully refills it.
Life is the little bit of humanity your Beast has behind closed doors, the last bit of humanity left if they fully fell to their Hunger. Though one the Beast's Soul (what seems to be a purely narrative description of what your Beast is under their human surface) can tear away if their Hunger is not being satisfied. Its the sympathetic trait of the Beast you make up. When acting in accordance to Life over Legend, you regain all Willpower.

Kinship needs a bit of clarification on first look (it is very cool as a concept, the Beast can form a familial bond with another nwod supernatural, outside of Demons), though it does link to Nightmares, one of two abilities the Beast gets, along with Atavisms. You get two of each and one Atavism must be one linked with your character's chosen Family. So that's the Disciplines/Gifts/Rites there.

Satiety is the morality score for a Beast. I like how it works a lot. I also like in chargen you can decide how easily your character is full or gets hungry, which affects it. Depending on what kind of character you build, one may come off from chargen higher in the score than another. :)

And that's your lot for now. :)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2015, 02:09:18 AM »
I think the size of the Lair is its own vulnerability, as you said. A bigger Lair means the Beast loses Satiety faster - but more importantly, it also increases the potential routes for a Hero to break into the Lair, which is a very bad thing. And the more often you have to Feed, plus the further your Soul wanders in dreams, makes it more likely for you to spawn a Hero in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:12:20 AM by TheGlyphstone »

Offline wander

« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2015, 02:24:29 AM »
Just did a bit of reading on the Lair now, I haven't read the whole book, though I'm chipping through it. :)

Yep, I can see all that being weaknesses. I like the mechanic for adding extra Chambers to the Lair in-game (on pondering on it somewhat, as much as I'd like to start a Beast with Lair 2 to already have it and have some defence against the Lair's Heart chamber, actually generating the Chamber on the tabletop and having a story for it makes for a greater narrative and involvement, I think) and also I dig how it links to the Astral Realms and Dreaming.

What I really like that I've read though, is how Demons and Beasts react to each other, like the God-Machine and Dark Mother are two polar opposites and even the Demons can get Spooked when bumping into a Beast, given their Lair gives them that boost to do so. I find it interesting if the Beast loses the Conflict of Wills against the Demon's Primum that they have to give away some important private information about themselves... That's really... strange and so I'd love to know why. I think having a Demon antagonist in a Beast story is a given just to play out how they'd react to each other.

« Reply #324 on: December 16, 2015, 02:16:30 AM »
Chronicles of Darkness is out.  It's the first part in a trend in the "New" World of Darkness to go out from under the Old World's thumb by renaming themselves the Chronicles in line with their new plots (The Strix Chronicle, the Idigam Chronicle, etc).

This book is much like NWod Corebook, but a new edition incorporating story and changes from the God Machine Chronicles plus some sample monster antagonists.  I own it so I can answer questions folk might have about it to the best of my ability.