You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:55:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The World of Darkness Thread  (Read 11128 times)

Offline Lilias

Re: The World of Darkness Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
So sad to me that Demon was my favorite line but seemed to be the forgotten step child of White Wolf.  Truth though is Demon didn't seem to fit with the others at all in terms of story.  So far as NWoD goes, they got the story so much better for Fae than OWoD ever did.

Demon came out too close to the end of the oWoD, and wasn't given the time to grow on the players. I've had no actual gaming experience with it, but boy, would it make some cracking side characters. (My original ST was the absolute king of crossover, and it's rubbed off on me. :-))

Offline Beorning

« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:39 AM »
I disagree that the fluff in NWoD is mediocre. It's different, in that it doesn't have the metaplot and is more vague. Personally, I like it that way.

It's not like only Changeling is good in NWoD. Hunter books are dripping with mood and creepyness, too. Second Sight had a good treatment of Lovecraftian horror...

Also, all of NWoD is exquisite when it comes to presentation. Meanwhile, OWoD had some bad art in some of its books... The same was with covers.

Offline Silverfyre

• Mr. Fyre, or if you're slightly more daring, oh Silver my Silver.
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »
Heh, that's definitely a matter of opinion.  I found most of the NWoD art to be rather bland and typical of the genre but OWoD, while some of the earlier edition art is terribly campy, had some fantastic art direction.  I loved the style of V:tM and Changeling: the Dreaming. 

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Imfinewhydoyouask? Canyoutastetime?Ican
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:21 AM »
I love Demon: The Fallen.

And I'm crazy about Mage as well. ;D

Offline Beorning

« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
A question: were you not afraid to play Demon? I admit it was one WoD game that really unsettled me...

The same goes for Mage: the Ascension currently. All this magic stuff makes me afraid a little...

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »
Uh, why?  It's just a game.

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
Demons weren't servants of some great evil.

Mages didn't even use magic.  It was more like reality warping superpowers.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Well, quite a few of the mages used typical magic paraphernalia, like pentagrams, sigils etc. The same things that real-life occultists use...

When it comes to Demon... weren't you afraid that some of this stuff may be real?

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
Like this?

No.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:53:46 AM by LunarSage »

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
Being able to do magic isn't a reality-warping superpower?

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
My point is it's not magic in the hermetic sense.  They aren't spells.  You're literally warping reality itself with your mind.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
Like this?

No.

Heh.

But really, I admit that I have this deeply-rooted fear that demons and magic might be real. I mean, read some interviews with real-life exorcists...

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
I'm not even going to pretend I understood Mage: the Ascension's complex "magic" system.  I think Lunar is right though and magic is such a broad term.

As far as parts of it being "real", no.  Not at all.  It's a game.  It may have a basis (a very loose one at that) in the Christian mythos but that does not make it real.  I never understood the idea that playing such games would make you a sinner or someone who is going to conjure something from beyond because it deals with "occult" symbols.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
As far as parts of it being "real", no.  Not at all.  It's a game.  It may have a basis (a very loose one at that) in the Christian mythos but that does not make it real.  I never understood the idea that playing such games would make you a sinner or someone who is going to conjure something from beyond because it deals with "occult" symbols.

Well, personally, there was a time when I deeply believed in the Christian religion. Back then, demons *were* real for me. I don't subscribe to Christianity anymore, but who knows, maybe there really is a degree of truth to that...

I really would be afraid to play Demon or Mage now. I'd be really afraid that it would make susceptible to some real evil...

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
Well, that's your call, mate.  Who am I to say otherwise?

I've played both games and they are very enjoyable.  No demons have made their presence known in any games I've ever played.  ~shrugs~ It's so hard to find a copy of Demon these days anyways.

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Heh.

But really, I admit that I have this deeply-rooted fear that demons and magic might be real. I mean, read some interviews with real-life exorcists...

As someone whom was an agnostic a hairs breadth from an atheist at the time of reading it, and one whom LOVED Memnoch the Devil, no. I was never concerned with it being true, at all, in the least, nada. Demons and Mages are for fairy tales, stories and games, not for real life. They're incredibly interesting stories and themes, touching on the archetypes of heroes and redemption that show up all the time in our histories fictions, and they play on symbolic representations of our own struggles in day to day life.

Symbolic, powerful, fascinating and entertaining in the fictional mediums they exist in, never once were they ever a story of real life.

I mean...it's from a gaming company :P

As for the evil bit, I take from Shakespeare and American Horror Story, "There are no devils in hell, they're all here," and "all (devils)monsters are people."

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
To play Devil's Advocate (Ha!), symbols can be very powerful to people.  They can govern and influence peoples'  lives and perceptions.  What might be unreal to one person might be very real to another.  I personally think that demons and all that are not going to appear out of thin air because I am playing a role playing game based on their mythos. 

Offline Moraline

« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
I'm a succubus.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
Which is probably why organizations abuse them so much.

>,>

Anywho, symbols only have power if they're given it and to what depths is up to the individual. I very much enjoyed the tale of once great noble heroes of old falling into becoming little more than sadistic monsters, leashed unto the world and then thrown back into bodies. Some of which even possessed a quality or qualities that reawakened that old part of themselves that once believed in doing good for humanity, to the point of bringing them to fight their own kind and the world left behind by a rather cold and uncaring authority figure.

Mage is just great in that they straight up use symbolism to the point of abusing it, straight up saying the symbols are just that, symbols, but since they mean something to the character, they work. Not that the symbols have power, but that the belief behind them in fact does and can quite literally, with enough belief, change the damn world. Clever White Wolf.

Also, anytime someone uses the word 'Succubus' all I can ever remember is my drunken friend saying it over and over until it became 'suck a....' well I"m sure you know the rest. :P

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:55 AM »
Heh, well said on both accounts.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
I have my moments now and then ;D

Offline Moraline

« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
This topic really makes me want to play an oWoD V:tM game. My neck veins are pulsing and aching to get bitten so I can be turned.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
This topic really makes me want to play an oWoD V:tM game. My neck veins are pulsing and aching to get bitten so I can be turned.

:o

I have no reply for this...gents?

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »
I love it myself.  We're lucky in that we have a local LARP group that plays V:tM and it's been fun so far.  I have two V:tM stories on here because of how awesome that venue is.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
I love it myself.  We're lucky in that we have a local LARP group that plays V:tM and it's been fun so far.  I have two V:tM stories on here because of how awesome that venue is.

Do you feel that sharp if distant stabbing pain in your skull?

That's my hatred, I'm sending it your way.

Envy and Hate.

x.x