You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 12:10:42 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The World of Darkness Thread  (Read 11137 times)

Offline SkynetTopic starter

The World of Darkness Thread
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
I see several D&D threads here, but none about the other popular RPG: White Wolf's World of Darkness line!

So, what do you like about the World of Darkness?  Have you tried Old (Classic) or New version?  Do you have a preference?

What's your favorite game line?  Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, or something more exotic?  Are there any themes, options, or ideas which you particularly enjoy in a sourcebook of yours?

I'm primarily a New World of Darkness fan.  By the time the Old one ended, I was too busy with D&D.  Around 2005 I was checking out Ravenloft, and found out that I really digged Gothic Horror.  Through this I found out about Vampire.  I saw a Requiem book in my friendly local game store, and became hooked.  I loved the idea of playing as a shadowy monster in a modern world, struggling between Man and Beast.  Soon afterwords I started buying supplements, and each one added more ideas to help flesh out potential chronicles.  I particularly enjoyed Requeim for Rome, because it detailed an interesting setting idea of the last days of a great empire, and Night Horrors: Wicked Dead for adding stranger entities tangentially related to the Kindred.

I also got into Mage: the Awakening and Hunter: The Vigil.

Tell me about your experiences!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:12:26 PM by Skynet »

Offline Callie Del Noire

Re: The World of Darkness Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:14 AM »
I'm a big old World of Darkness fan.. specifically Vampire and Mage..

I like what I see in the V20 series..and am very much looking forward towards M20 next year. :D

Offline Songbird

• Our Lady of Optimism, Mistress of the Comma, Babe of the Bounteous Bosom, Saint of Submission, Patroness of Breast Men, Lady Lamia, Captive Princess, Tender-Heart, Cuddle-Dove, Sex Kitten, Sweet Devil, Birdy-Bells, Nubile Nerd, and One Wordy Wench
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • "They're real, and they're spectacular!"
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »
I went in just the opposite order as you, Skynet! I started with Vampire the Masquerade, then moved on to Ravenloft. ;D

I started playing Vampire the Masquerade for the same reason any teenager would: "Hey, I get to be a vampire!" >:) I always, always, always played a member of the Toreador Clan, and my favorite character was a female vampire named Carmilla. Fellow vampire enthusiasts will recognize the name at once, as it is the title character of a famous gothic novella about a female vampire preying on a young woman. I hadn't actually read it at the time, but I had heard of it, and I thought it was a nifty name for a vampire. Anyway, my Carmilla originated from the Victorian Era, after having been turned by her husband on their wedding night. Her husband tried to restrain their inner beasts by keeping their feeding rituals as refined as possible, such as serving her blood in a wineglass. His system worked surprisingly well, though they would each occasionally be overwhelmed with bloodlust. They were very devoted to each other, and their love was able to last longer than most vampire/vampire relationships. :-)

I had fun with Vampire the Masquerade, but eventually I became disinterested in it because it seemed somewhat depressing and repetitive. Kill, feed, avoid detection, don't tick off the camarilla, start over, etc. I'm a very optimistic person, and I like a bit of lightness between dark, dramatic stories. VTM was just a little too consistently dark for my taste, so I moved on to Ravenloft, which I felt had more variety. I thumbed through Werewolf the Apocalypse and Mage the Ascension, but neither of them really took root in my imagination.

I still think fondly of my early VTM days. Perhaps I can resurrect Carmilla in a story or two. :-)

Offline Beorning

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:53:04 AM »
Oooh, WoD...

I remember when, all these years ago, I first looked through Vampire: the Masquarade rulebook. What an experience it was... Then, a few years later, I got hooked on Mage: the Ascension. Now that was an immense and fascinating game...

Since then, I've been keeping tabs on White Wolf and WoD in both its incarnations. I absolutely loved Vampire: the Dark Ages from OWoD. I adore Changeling: the Lost from NWoD. I have a soft spot for NWoD Hunter and the core ("mortal") line. Currently, I'm trying to get into Vampire: the Requiem...

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:21:50 AM »
I had LOTS of fun as ST in Vampire and Mage.. my vampire game had it's moments of light. The players got caught in a 3 way power play between some 5th Generation vamps.. A Venture, the prince of Charlotte who was looking to keep control of things, a Giovanni..who had come to the states to find the vampire who cursed him.. his 'bastard Childe'. A non-Giovanni who no one knew was his.. till the players found out .. they wound up with her grimioire after a Ravnos stole it. They found the Ravnos after the Giovanni's minion.. a HUGE old Gargolye named Augustus found him. (There wasn't much left).

They got drug into finding who killed the Ravnos (for violating the Masquerade) even though the Prince knew why already. He used them as a stalking horse.

At the end of the day, they got rid of the Griomoire.. (gave it back to the owner), got to shoot the elder Giovanni.. run over his minon (repeatedly) and generally commit mayhem.

The Mage game was as much fun.. I had fun ending it. A multifront battle between the players (including three masters of various disciplines, a Force, Life and Spirit types as I recall), a Technocracy strike team. a cabal of Nephandi summoners..and just for fun.. a merry band of Maruaders.. add in the arrival of something dark and dire.. and then the Maruaders brought a friend. A HUGE Dragon.

Add in 9 rounds of not one single bit of paradox surging..then the arrival of a Paradox Storm when the Master of Correspedence pulled every third rivet out of a building to stop the Demon and Dragon in the downtown area.. they flattened Charlotte but kept reality safe.

Offline Starlequin

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 02:01:06 AM »
I've been in love with WoD for years, ever since I discovered it back in (I think) '02 (damn, ten years; f#@k I feel old). Favorites are V:tM (loved the hell out of Bloodlines for the pc, hehe), Mage (both Awakening and Ascension) and Geist. Never had the pleasure of sitting down to play a live game with anyone, though; just read through the sourcebooks and enjoyed the stories. I've wanted to run a Geist game on E for over a year now, but I'm never confident enough in my GM skills to take the plunge. ::)

Offline ExisD

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:41:40 AM »
WoD is one of my favorite systems, especially to introduce new people to roleplaying. Though I'm more used to nWoD than oWoD. I started out GMing it... wow around seven years ago. Now I feel old as well even though I know I shouldn't.

I'd say my two favorite lines are Mage the Awakening, though from what I've heard of Ascention's fluff I may enjoy that one more. Along with Princess the Hopeful, a fan supplement.

I think the biggest reasons I like mage are the combo of a very fun to use set of mechanics, improvised spell casting is amazing and the general themes. Using your power responsibly and bettering yourself along with everyone else are themes I can very much get behind. Even though most of my players have failed to do either and typically fall to hubris very quickly.

For Princess.... I like magical girls. That's about it....... don't judge me too harshly. Though the concept of fighting to stay idealistic and moral in such a shitty place is another theme that I do enjoy, even if most of my characters wind up falling they do it in a fun way here.

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »
oWoD forever for me.

I started RPing in 1994 with the Palladium system but it wasn't long after that when I got into Vampire.  By 1999 I had joined the white-wolf.com html chat games and actually met my wife in a Sabbat game.  I enjoy Vampire, and Werewolf.  I could never get into Mage because the rules were so fluid.... I could never get into Changeling because it seemed so cutesy and happy go lucky... and I could never get into Wraith because it seemed so depressing.

When nWoD came out, white-wolf stopped supporting any kind of oWoD games, so the html chats for oWoD were taken down.  I was pissed and to this day I hold a grudge against white-wolf.  That said, I like the nWoD system but I absolutely hate the setting.  The old setting was vastly superior in my opinion.  They got rid of the Salubri, my favorite clan!  >.<

Earlier this year, I found out that the Camarilla was having an oWoD chronicle again.  I was psyched so I finally joined the Cam, something I had the option of doing back in 1997 but chose not to.  I'm thoroughly enjoying the games and I've risen to the cusp of MC 5 since I joined in March.

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Imfinewhydoyouask? Canyoutastetime?Ican
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »
Were this a physical place, and this thread a door, you would have just witnessed me come booking for it, bursting through with the largest, most anime worthy grin on my face.

Just sayin'

I lurv World of Darkness, love the Old stuff too much to get into the New stuff, I fall into that mindset of, "but..but...they changed EVERYTHING! Especially the good stuff!"

So yeah....

Read and enjoyed Werewolf, read some of the supplements.
Skimmed Wraith, and haven't gotten around to giving it any real attention.
Vampire of course, Dark Ages as well, as well as a handful of supplements.
Mage, which I absolutely adore.
Demon, another adoring addition.
Also read the Easter versions of Vampire and Werewolf (Hegeyoki[sp]) as well, which I'm still obsessed with.

I've wanted to play a WoD game forever and never really got the chance, started to run one with my roommates before I moved out but didn't get far at all, though it was entertaining. Always wanted to play in one though, never would be able to decide what species I'd want to play though, especially if I was given the clear to make whatever. I'd end up making one of each and hemming and hawing over forever and a day were I to be honest.

Annnnndddd I'm fanboying.

::)

Offline BraveEarth

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
>.> <.< So is it safe to talk about nWoD

I was a bit young to be exposed to the older stuff so I kind of only have been exposed to the newer stuff that being said. Promethean oh my god Promethean, I've never been in a Promethean game but the concept just makes me want to see a successful run of it. Also Vampire never seemed that interesting, from a purely rule stand point.

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
>.> <.< So is it safe to talk about nWoD

I was a bit young to be exposed to the older stuff so I kind of only have been exposed to the newer stuff that being said. Promethean oh my god Promethean, I've never been in a Promethean game but the concept just makes me want to see a successful run of it. Also Vampire never seemed that interesting, from a purely rule stand point.

-Stalks with a blade-

Offline Lilias

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
oWoD is my book fort. >_>

I first learned about RPGs back in '95, with the launch of Mage: the Ascension 2nd ed. Finally got my hands on my first books in '98 (rather backwardly, I got Traditions Gathered 2 before the corebook), and met my first ST, who remains one of my best friends, this time of the year 2000. The rest is history.

The sheer possibility of a game like Mage spoiled me for anything simpler (like D&D). I still think in terms of WoD char sheets when I create a character, even for a freestyle story, and I can translate any of my characters into point stats off the top of my head. >_>

I like VtM, but haven't had particularly good experiences playing it (although again my style of vampires draws from those concepts). My only experience with Werewolf involved playing a Bastet in a side plot of a larger campaign. I probably have a lot of reading to do before I can appreciate it. Changeling is fun, but I've always felt that fae fare better in a crossover campaign. Must be the aforementioned ST's influence, who was the absolute master of crossover. ;D

On the other hand, I absolutely adore Wraith. Fascinating idea, fascinating integration of history and gameplay, and some of the best-written books in the whole of the WoD.

I've been without a tabletop group for several years now, but if I were to break out the dice again, it would probably have to be Dark Ages.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »
oWoD is my book fort. >_>

I first learned about RPGs back in '95, with the launch of Mage: the Ascension 2nd ed. Finally got my hands on my first books in '98 (rather backwardly, I got Traditions Gathered 2 before the corebook), and met my first ST, who remains one of my best friends, this time of the year 2000. The rest is history.

The sheer possibility of a game like Mage spoiled me for anything simpler (like D&D). I still think in terms of WoD char sheets when I create a character, even for a freestyle story, and I can translate any of my characters into point stats off the top of my head. >_>

I like VtM, but haven't had particularly good experiences playing it (although again my style of vampires draws from those concepts). My only experience with Werewolf involved playing a Bastet in a side plot of a larger campaign. I probably have a lot of reading to do before I can appreciate it. Changeling is fun, but I've always felt that fae fare better in a crossover campaign. Must be the aforementioned ST's influence, who was the absolute master of crossover. ;D

On the other hand, I absolutely adore Wraith. Fascinating idea, fascinating integration of history and gameplay, and some of the best-written books in the whole of the WoD.

I've been without a tabletop group for several years now, but if I were to break out the dice again, it would probably have to be Dark Ages.

Mmmm, Mage....

Offline Silverfyre

• Mr. Fyre, or if you're slightly more daring, oh Silver my Silver.
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »
I've been a World of Darkness player and ST since the late 90s.  I cut my teeth (or fangs, if you will) on Vampire the Masquerade and it still remains my favorite setting of the OWoD bunch.  I have experience playing Werewolf, Wraith, Mage and especially Changeling the Dreaming.  I always wished Wraith had gotten more love than it did.  Mage... eh.  I dig the idea but most of the players around here were nothing but power gamers and it broke the love of the system I had.

Most of my OWoD experience comes in the form of the Mind's Eye Society and LARPing.  I still do LARP with a local troupe after three years with the Camarilla.  NWoD is a great system mechanically but most of the settings didn't appeal to me as much as the OWoD material did.  Geist, Changeling and NWoD Mortals are fantastic though.  I love Geist and it is everything Wraith and Orpheus had going for it and then some.  We even run a Geist LARP monthly, set in 1890s New Orleans.  Good times.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
I've been a World of Darkness player and ST since the late 90s.  I cut my teeth (or fangs, if you will) on Vampire the Masquerade and it still remains my favorite setting of the OWoD bunch.  I have experience playing Werewolf, Wraith, Mage and especially Changeling the Dreaming.  I always wished Wraith had gotten more love than it did.  Mage... eh.  I dig the idea but most of the players around here were nothing but power gamers and it broke the love of the system I had.

Most of my OWoD experience comes in the form of the Mind's Eye Society and LARPing.  I still do LARP with a local troupe after three years with the Camarilla.  NWoD is a great system mechanically but most of the settings didn't appeal to me as much as the OWoD material did.  Geist, Changeling and NWoD Mortals are fantastic though.  I love Geist and it is everything Wraith and Orpheus had going for it and then some.  We even run a Geist LARP monthly, set in 1890s New Orleans.  Good times.

Yet they really did start to mess with they setting a lot before they stopped doing oWoD, what with all the meta gaming crap.

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »
Indeed.  It was quite unfortunate.  Requiem could have been so much if they had included at least a basic plot too.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
I generally avoid oWoD books that go past the 2nd edition because of all of the metagaming.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
I remember most of my Mage crew quite well.. they were a fun bunch;

0111 0000 1001 (Orphan.. turned out to be a renegade Technomancer..she was last seen fighting the Dragon/Demon in my end game.. using a stolen Iteration X relic.. a MASSIVE experimental railgun)

Wallace Fitzhugh. (hmm..he was our master of Forces.. )

Jack 'Two tone' Harmon (Jazzman turned Estatic Mage.. think he was our life master.. I recall him 'melting' one foe with a horn blast. The player called it the 'ultimate brown note'.)

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
I have a Verbena Prime master sitting around somewhere, waiting to be used one day

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »
My entire WoD experience has been via LARPing through the MES (ne. Camarilla), and I've loved it.

My favorite is Geist, followed by Mage. I'm partial to Requiem because I run it as the local domain's Venue ST, though it's a tiny game (6-8 people tops, compared to 20-30 in Sabbat games). I want to like Changeling, but we haven't run it in years and the last ST for it sucked. Not a fan of Werewolf in either OWoD. I tend to view Cam/Anarch play as 'Requiem with a better setting and crappy rules', and I'm so-so about Sabbat play.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
I can't stand NWoD for what they did to Werewolf, changed all that was good and amazing with it in my opinion

Offline Silverfyre

• Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
NWoD, as a system, is pretty tight.  It works well in both tabletop and LARP.  But, yeah, the settings... not so great.

But, that doesn't mean there aren't any good ones out there.  Geist, Mage, Changeling - all strong ones that have some great ideas going for them.

Offline Lilias

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
I think Changeling fared the best in its offshoots, both nWoD and Dark Ages.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
New Werewolf is bland and lame, but I'm not a fan of Old Werewolf either. It has a lot of direhard adherents, but I just can't find the joy they do in a game where your primary enemies are either werewolves (but EEEEVIL) or else almost literally ripped from a Captain Planet cartoon. Maybe it's just that Werewolf was the game that most blatantly stated 'the world is going to end, you suck and cannot change this, all you can do is die horribly and hopefully gloriously so that everyone remembers you until they also die horribly'.

Changeling is the only game that seems to be almost universally approved of as equal or better than its Old version.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
NWoD Changeling is *awesome*. It may well be one of the best things White Wolf has created.

NWoD Hunter is pretty solid, IMHO, although it's very dark. I'm still trying to decide on NWoD Vampire. I'm reading the core rulebook right now and I have a feeling of strange deja vu: so similar, and yet so different...