Heros, Villains, or Treasure Hunters? (D&D 3.5)

Started by ulthakptah, November 12, 2012, 06:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

Okay so players are random and hard to control. That's why when I run a game I don't think too far ahead. Why plan out what's going to happen if the players aren't going to do it anyway. I could grab them by the nose and force them to do what I want to but that's no fun for me and no fun for them. So the plan for this game is to be mostly made up on the fly.

The goal is to have like minded characters work together towards a common interest. That being said I would love to have the characters going in to actually stick around. Too often people make a character then before anything actually happens they get bored with it and want to make something new. Personally I don't get this when I take the time to make a character I actually like to play as them. Up front I am going to say no to this. No, you can not make a new character because you are bored with the first. No, you can not kill off your current character to get a new one. And know that if I think you purposely tried to kill off your character you will not be coming back.

Right now the game doesn't have much form. That is because I have no idea what people want to do. Seems every game I've tried to run in the past just loses interest and dies. So not knowing what sort of game people want I'm going to ask.

What sort of game would you like to play?

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I'll bite, I would like to see a group of childhood friends of differing alignments come together to form a treasure hunter/problem solving group

Kdyami

Treasure Hunters/Problem Solvers for hire?  that could be a lot of fun.  I'm interested.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

LuciusLeche

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 12, 2012, 07:15:47 PM
Hmm I'll bite, I would like to see a group of childhood friends of differing alignments come together to form a treasure hunter/problem solving group
Quote from: Kdyami on November 13, 2012, 02:59:35 AM
Treasure Hunters/Problem Solvers for hire?  that could be a lot of fun.  I'm interested.

with sexy results?
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's

Snake

Videospirit

You really have a problem with people wanting new characters? I try and keep the dying games going after some people have started losing interest just because I like my characters.

Since great big huge plotlines are out, Professional thieves *Ahem* Treasure hunters might be fun.

ulthakptah

Okay then five is a good enough amount if you are all still interested. Were you hoping to be seasoned adventurers or perhaps a bit more green? I only ask because I will need to pick the starting level soon.

Videospirit

Snake

5 sounds good to me. the game mechanics seem to work best around that level

TheHangedOne

I'd be interested as well.  I assume we'll be rolling for everything?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Frank Reshman

There still room for one more in this game? I wouldn't mind getting in on this.

ulthakptah

Yeah sure everyone who wants to make a sheet there should be plenty of room. Starting level 3 hopefully it goes well and you can level fast. Standard gold, for stats grab a hand full of d10 and throw them at the wall, add 8 to each result. Example if you rolled a 10, 5, 2, 7, 9, and 4 your starting stats would be 18, 13, 10, 15, 17, and 12.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheHangedOne

And in the same vein as Andy's question, how about a Warlock?
Check out my poet tree!

Videospirit

ulthakptah

I allow all wizard of the coast 3.5 edition books. Paladins are people too and they love to solve problems of the those who can not help themselves, not to mention that traditionally evil creatures are the one that are used to guard treasure, so I can see how a paladin could fit into the setting.

Kdyami

Coolio. Ill try and have a character up tomorrow sometime :)
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

ulthakptah

Just to be clear warlocks and druids are allowed too. I know I didn't address that, but I felt I didn't need to as paladins are the class with the silly code of conduct they always have to follow. I guess druids have rules they have to follow too, but they have little to do with the setting.

Videospirit

*Glances at the interested people, roll of Lords, guess I'll play a woman*

No harm in having two druids I suspect.

Snake

Videospirit

Just about had the sheet finished when my laptop crashed. It's a shifter VoP Druid, if that matters.

I don't know when I'll have computer access long enough to do more than post, but I'll get it done if you start.

ulthakptah

Well I only see one sheet so far, and I'm not going to start the game with only one player, so you probably have some time before the game starts.

AndyZ

How many people you have?  I was going to just sit back because it seemed like there was plenty...
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.