You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 25, 2016, 12:09:19 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Old Laptop with XP installed but no recovery disk  (Read 307 times)

Offline JosiettaTopic starter

• ♥ The Sweet Lil Heartbreaker of E ◦ Princessa ◦ BabyCakes ◦ | Minx | SisterKitten | ~ MineCraft Wifey ~ ✨ Ely's Bestie Babe ✨ ♥ Jewel of His Heart♥
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ~ His Kitten ~
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Old Laptop with XP installed but no recovery disk
« on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
I think my cousin may have a virus from watching "bootlegged" movies from disks on the computer. Now it won't even load windows. It pops up with:

"Windows xp could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I'm not a computer guru at all. I can do simple system restores with the recovery disk and thats about it. I amgood at following direction however.   Anyone have any clue how i can repair this without having to pay for a disk? I've tried running a diagnostic but it says there is no diagnostic utility partition and that you have to insert the "Dell Drivers and Utilities" CD, which I'm sure they don't have any longer. >.<

Any hope to fix this? Or are they S.O.L without a disk?

Offline Saffron

• ღ Your Designer Drug ღ Myobi's Hither and Thither Girl ღ
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: ღ There's a whole wide world for us to see, the only thing you gotta do is follow me ღ
  • ღ I just wanna make you feel loved ღ
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Old Laptop with XP installed but no recovery disk
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »
On the Bottom of your laptop there should be a sticker with your 'Microsoft Product Key' for Windows. It should say 'Proof of License' on the sticker, the key you want is a combination of numbers and letters separated out by dashes. You can download a copy of windows and put it on a jump drive (or burn it to a disc), then re-install windows from said jump drive/disc, using your legitimate product key to validate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:15:10 PM by Saffron »