You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 24, 2016, 12:27:05 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Wicked Illusion  (Read 466 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Wicked Illusion
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:36:17 PM »
Charlie Chaplin Optic Illusion

Apparently schizophrenics and people high/drunk are immune to it >_>

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
Re: Wicked Illusion
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:49:53 AM »
The narrator is saying that it's impossible to see it as 'correctly hollow' but similar to the ballerina silhouette, I seem to be able to turn it on and off sort of at will. I attribute it to having seen a mask enough times that my brain doesn't say "What, that's a convex face" as strongly.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
Even knowing what to expect, and focusing on the concept of the back of the mask as concave, it still 'popped' for me.  I obviously need to get drunker.  ;)  (Currently blowing 0.000)

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:44:37 AM »
I'm with Trie here, no major trouble seeing it as hollow when it's facing away.

There's a kinda similar scene, but more complex, towards the end of the film Victor/Victoria. Four crossdressed dancers/cabaret artists are performing facing an excited audience in a Berlin club in 1932, and several times they turn around fast in formation - and hey, presto! each shows a male face, gender opposite to the one they had before. It's some time since I saw that one but they are all female at the start and then they show male faces, actually some of those latter ones are masks, but they look very convincing, with some typical old-style "pre-war show" makeup like Joel Grey and the others in Cabaret, or even Chaplin. In reality, all of those four actors are male, crossdressing as women, though I don't think any of them has a hard full-face mask on the "woman side"

Amazing scene, and a very interesting movie (even though I think you have to make a stretch to really believe that anyone could think Julie Andrews is a genetical guy playing a woman, when she's on stage). The scene isn't on youtube, but the film does run sometimes on TCM.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:00:24 AM by gaggedLouise »

Offline Shjade

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
Interestingly enough (or perhaps not), I didn't see the nose "pop out" until after the narrator suggested I should. Then I could see the effect he was describing, but my "default" was seeing it sink away as expected.

Offline Moraline

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:03:16 AM »
I couldn't see what the narrator was talking about at all. I agree with someone earlier. I've seen enough masks to know that it was a mask and what to expect.

However, I was able to generate the illusion by pausing when the mask was completely backwards. If I pause it like that and look at it, I can see the face as almost normal. As soon as the mask begins to turn it breaks the illusion for me.

The Face
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:10:41 AM by Moraline »