You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 08:35:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Don't You Hate it When in an P&P RPG...  (Read 5636 times)

Offline TheGlyphstone

Re: Don't You Hate it When in an P&P RPG...
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
Yeah...there's so many trivial ways to foil Detect spells as plot-breakers, you should never need to resort to ham-handedness. If they turn on Detect X and are blasted by the overwhelming aura, that should be an important piece of information, not just arbitrarily shutting off their power.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »
Occasionally, that's because the player should know better (for example, casting 'Detect Magic' in the town's magical item shop, or 'Detect Evil' in the Temple of Elemental Evil.)

Offline KaylaM

« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2012, 04:30:48 AM »
...when the GM has a specific NPC or NPC type that they use over and over again?

There's one GM I know, and I love them a lot. However, every game they run will have an inane, teary-eyed female NPC who's one of the bad guys against their will and turns out to be on the good guys side. And, in the end, they invariably end up being vital to the campaigns plot.

Offline uncletuku

« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
When the GM gives a challenge that is easy in his mind because he is old enough to have played with gygax as a GM (And Has played with gygax) then scolds the players because they didn't think of the proper way to defeat the monster.

We had something happen in the desert....Long narrow (5 ft across) staircase down to a tomb where there was some mummy creature that put off a heat aurora. Combat took forever but we won with no casualties but after the fight was over the GM was like  "Come on guys how did you not see the obvious solution .....Go stand outside and attack from range, he could not leave the tomb anyway!"  It turned a fun hard fought battle agianst a seemingly insurmountable foe into an annoying memory of that scolding.

Its your first time GMing and your players throw things at you on purpose just to throw you for a loop.

Offline NotoriusBEN

« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
I've been guilty of that.

It was near the end of a campaign, and we had to storm a castle on a precarious cliff side. We stormed the gates with our NPC forces over a bridge that if spanned over nothingness. If you fell, it was pretty much a death sentence. Lo and behold, as we started hitting the gate, the giant golem statue animated and started wreaking house. The thing was pretty tough, since you couldnt crit them and any smart super villan put wards on it to keep em from being instagibed. In essence, it was supposed to be a fight on par with any of Kratos v. what god. You climb the thing, hit runes on it, trip it up or something.

I had a few beers so I wasn't thinking in my right state of mind, and I thought I had a brilliant idea. I said "Fuck this noise." and promptly cast a Disintegration Ray at ground around the golem's feet. The ground that was a bridge over nothingness. Huge boss fight that's supposed to take the rest of the night is over in like 10seconds and I got everyone looking at me like I'm bigger that Gandalf. Everyone just laughed the rest of the night thinking about where this golem fell to and how it probably dropped on a couple goblin guards pulling night shift.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »
Yep.  Been there.  Evil mage was trying to control my scout character, and the GM went into the traditional 'Evil Overlord MonologueTM' culminating in 'Come to me, my child.' with his hand stretched out.  We'd been told that we could only defeat this guy if we attacked him between two magic mirrors.  I made my saving throw and said 'M___?  Is his hand between the mirrors?'  The GM looked at his own outstretched hand, and promptly clapped it to his forehead.

Offline Atarn

« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
I'll add one of my own here:
When the GM expects the players to do everything by the book, but uses a truckload of weird homebrew stuff for NPCS.
In a DnD campaign I'm in the enemy uses Godly Magic or Technology, neither which can be affected by the players "arcane" magic. However they can affect the PC's just fine.
It's like you're playing DnD, but the GM is using BESM for his characters.

Offline Skynet

« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »
I don't like it when I invest a lot of Character Points/effort to make my character good at social skills, only for the GM to negate it by saying that I have to come up with a sublimely excellent argument to convince other NPCs to do something.  I don't need to know how to pick a lock to play a Thief, or how to swing a sword to play a warrior; PCs are often more talented at stuff than the players, why not allow PCs to be more charming as well?

Offline LunarSageTopic starter

« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
I don't like it when I invest a lot of Character Points/effort to make my character good at social skills, only for the GM to negate it by saying that I have to come up with a sublimely excellent argument to convince other NPCs to do something.  I don't need to know how to pick a lock to play a Thief, or how to swing a sword to play a warrior; PCs are often more talented at stuff than the players, why not allow PCs to be more charming as well?

+1

I hate that.  If I was that freaking charming in real life, I would have better things to do with my time than pretending to be someone charming in a role-playing-game!  >.<