You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 16, 2017, 09:12:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Don't You Hate it When in an P&P RPG...  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Songbird

• Our Lady of Optimism, Mistress of the Comma, Babe of the Bounteous Bosom, Saint of Submission, Patroness of Breast Men, Lady Lamia, Captive Princess, Tender-Heart, Cuddle-Dove, Sex Kitten, Sweet Devil, Birdy-Bells, Nubile Nerd, and One Wordy Wench
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • "They're real, and they're spectacular!"
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Don't You Hate it When in an P&P RPG...
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
At the same time, the term God, usually evokes an image of fire and brimstone, and unyielding mountain.  To me.  And various groups I've run with, which is totally and completely anecdotal.

As an ardent fan of Pelor, I like to think of a D&D "god/DM" as a friendly adviser and guardian. :-) Granted, not all of them are, but I'm a pretty optimistic person in general. ;D

Offline Moraline

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
I said my piece on this subject earlier.. (on GM's) "They are the essence and force of everything in the universe, just let them do their jobs and if they suck at it (or you don't like them,) then so bet it - get a new one."

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
As an ardent fan of Pelor, I like to think of a D&D "god/DM" as a friendly adviser and guardian. :-) Granted, not all of them are, but I'm a pretty optimistic person in general. ;D

You mean Pelor, the Burning Hate? ;D

I said my piece on this subject earlier.. (on GM's) "They are the essence and force of everything in the universe, just let them do their jobs and if they suck at it (or you don't like them,) then so bet it - get a new one."
And that's your right to feel that way, just as it is the player's right to wander off, as you said, and get a DM who's willing to work with them rather than over them. Cooperative DMs, in addition to having a larger player pool, can also end up with a lower total workload if the players are willing or even eager to shoulder some of the burden of things like world-generating, NPC ideas, and such things...plus, they tend to be more involved and/or interested in a game they feel they've personally contributed to.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:15:26 PM by TheGlyphstone »

Offline Songbird

• Our Lady of Optimism, Mistress of the Comma, Babe of the Bounteous Bosom, Saint of Submission, Patroness of Breast Men, Lady Lamia, Captive Princess, Tender-Heart, Cuddle-Dove, Sex Kitten, Sweet Devil, Birdy-Bells, Nubile Nerd, and One Wordy Wench
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »
You mean Pelor, the Burning Hate? ;D

*Gasp* :o Blasphemer! May the Shining One smite thee! >:(

(Not really. ;) That is a scary theory though! Next thing you know, Nerull will be helping little old ladies cross the street! ;D)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
I love TBH, it's such a fun theory of total insanity with a suspiciously large amount of circumstantial 'proof'.

Offline Songbird

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »
I love TBH, it's such a fun theory of total insanity with a suspiciously large amount of circumstantial 'proof'.

It makes for an interesting plot! :D What if a cosmic catastrophe happened in which all of the deities' alignments were changed to the exact opposite? Heironeous would be Chaotic Evil, Erythnul would be Lawful Good... it would be a disaster! :o Boccob and his followers would probably be the only ones unscathed! ;D

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
It makes for an interesting plot! :D What if a cosmic catastrophe happened in which all of the deities' alignments were changed to the exact opposite? Heironeous would be Chaotic Evil, Erythnul would be Lawful Good... it would be a disaster! :o Boccob and his followers would probably be the only ones unscathed! ;D

Or they'd go insane...the Helm of Opposite Alignment, when placed on a True Neutral character, causes them to become one of the four most polarized alignments at random. You think a Neutral Evil Pelor is scary, howbout a Chaotic Evil Boccob?

Offline Skynet

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »

Offline Slywyn

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:14 PM »
That was linked a few posts up. xD

Offline Skynet

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
How did I miss that?!  I feel so embarassed. :-[

Offline Slywyn

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Happens to everyone. <3

Offline Songbird

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
Or they'd go insane...the Helm of Opposite Alignment, when placed on a True Neutral character, causes them to become one of the four most polarized alignments at random. You think a Neutral Evil Pelor is scary, howbout a Chaotic Evil Boccob?

Eeek! Now THAT is scary! :o

Speaking of an Evil Pelor...

Blasphemer! *whips out my silver holy symbol of Pelor* In the name of the Shining One, I smite thee! >:(

*Grin* Just kidding! ;D As I said before, it's a scary theory! I'm not buying it, though. It's probably just an evil plot cooked up by Vecna, planted in an old tome to shake Pelor's church to the roots. ;)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Probably the same old tome that gives you instructions on how to use the Head of Vecna.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
If it was a plot by Vecna, no one would know about it to begin with - he is the God of Secrets, after all, and it'd be against his interests to have another Neutral Evil god to compete against for worshipers. So he surely knows the truth, but isn't telling anyone - and if it is a slander, it's more likely to be perpetuated by a rival Good god.

Offline Moraline

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:42 AM »
Just a personal annoyance here.

It drives me crazy when players insist on writing up overly convoluted back stories for their characters and hold up everyone else from playing because it's just soooo important that they get it finished before we begin.

You know the kind of back story I'm talking about. The one where it's like a soap opera and everyone is tied into everyone in some way, shape, or form. Where the player's personal history involves multiple interwoven relationships, schools, has lived all over the world and something different has happened to them to profoundly impact their lives at every location.

The back story becomes this land mine where no other player in the game dare says anything or do anything with this person because it will in someway trigger them to go on a 1 hour back story revealing spiel... That player expects the game master to bring in elements of that characters back story into every play session - because it's just soooo important.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »
Ooh, that's a good one, and it reminds me of another of my peeves - GMs who require such lengthy backstories but don't use them, like they're some kind of mandatory writing assignment to prove you're dedicated to the game. I actually had a GM who mandated a two-page, double-spaced, 12-font backstory once with the qualifier 'must end in an accident involving planar travel', and the resultant campaign started with us being sent to another universe where none of those huge backstories were ever relevant, effectively wasting a few hours of everyone's time for no good reason.

Offline Songbird

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
If it was a plot by Vecna, no one would know about it to begin with - he is the God of Secrets, after all, and it'd be against his interests to have another Neutral Evil god to compete against for worshipers. So he surely knows the truth, but isn't telling anyone - and if it is a slander, it's more likely to be perpetuated by a rival Good god.

Hmmm... I don't think it would have been a plot spread by another good-aligned god. After all, lying for one's own benefit at the expense of someone else could be considered an evil act, and a lie as big as this (assuming it is a lie) would be a major, major one. I just can't imagine Heironeous, Kord, Ehlonna, or any of the other good gods perpetrating such a scheme. On the other hand, perhaps a misguided cleric of another good god spreads the rumor in order to boost his own deity's number of worshipers. ;)

On reflection, I agree with you that Vecna wouldn't simply reveal so powerful a secret. He's be more likely to blackmail Pelor and force him to give up some of his divine power under the threat of revealing it to his clergy. Oh, Vecna, you devious boney blackmailer. ;D

Just a personal annoyance here.

It drives me crazy when players insist on writing up overly convoluted back stories for their characters and hold up everyone else from playing because it's just soooo important that they get it finished before we begin.

You know the kind of back story I'm talking about. The one where it's like a soap opera and everyone is tied into everyone in some way, shape, or form. Where the player's personal history involves multiple interwoven relationships, schools, has lived all over the world and something different has happened to them to profoundly impact their lives at every location.

The back story becomes this land mine where no other player in the game dare says anything or do anything with this person because it will in someway trigger them to go on a 1 hour back story revealing spiel... That player expects the game master to bring in elements of that characters back story into every play session - because it's just soooo important.

I like to create thorough back stories for my characters, but more for the DM's reference than my own glorification. I agree that having a character thrust his past into play at every opportunity can be super annoying. I think the only exception would be especially proud elves or dwarves, who might be prone to lecturing the younger races in a "When I was young, I..." kind of way. As a DM, having some background information on a character can be extremely useful plot-wise, as one can occasionally "hit them close to home" by having some menace threaten their hometown or loved ones. Dark revelations about a player's bloodline is always fun too. ;)

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
Ooh, that's a good one, and it reminds me of another of my peeves - GMs who require such lengthy backstories but don't use them, like they're some kind of mandatory writing assignment to prove you're dedicated to the game. I actually had a GM who mandated a two-page, double-spaced, 12-font backstory once with the qualifier 'must end in an accident involving planar travel', and the resultant campaign started with us being sent to another universe where none of those huge backstories were ever relevant, effectively wasting a few hours of everyone's time for no good reason.

Ooooo.  That is just wrong!  I try to work the stories into what the GM plans but that would be evil!

Offline Slywyn

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »
I have a question. What does P&P mean in reference to games like DnD? Pickup and play? Pay and play? Putz and pull?

I've been thinking about it and nothing I think of seems to make sense.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
I have a question. What does P&P mean in reference to games like DnD? Pickup and play? Pay and play? Putz and pull?

I've been thinking about it and nothing I think of seems to make sense.

Pen & Paper or Pencil& Paper.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
Pen & Paper or Pencil& Paper.

Basically, table-top instead of online. (Or at least one with a human GM instead of an MMO program.)

Offline Slywyn

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Oh. Derp. And wait, there's ways to play with a computer DM?

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
Oh. Derp. And wait, there's ways to play with a computer DM?

Computer RPG games, or MMOs. You'll never get a computer game that can accurately recreate the entire tabletop experience, which is why they're distinguished from the tabletop versions (which can be played over the computer via forums, emails, IM, or things, but are still considered P&P games because it's human-to-human interaction).

Offline Slywyn

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
Oooh.

See, I understood it as being, like, DNd but played online. Like, gather a few friends and play through pre-created adventures, with the computer or site being the "dm".

Or something.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
Oooh.

See, I understood it as being, like, DNd but played online. Like, gather a few friends and play through pre-created adventures, with the computer or site being the "dm".

Or something.

That's what CRPGS like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or Icewind Dale are - computer games that use the D&D setting and mechanics (of varying editions) with AI scripts directing the monsters/NPCs, pre-written dialogue options, and a pre-written adventure plot.

P&P refers to the actual books-and-character sheets game, with human players and a human DM. It can be played online through an electronic medium, but the key element is that the only involvement of a program is for stuff like dice-rolling.