You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 12:17:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Q&A For the Upcoming Shadowrun Game  (Read 2057 times)

Offline LunarSageTopic starter

Re: Q&A For the Upcoming Shadowrun Game
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »
I have a boring question on mechanics >.> Shadowrun is totally new to me so I'm trying to get things sorted out in preparation for creating a character. So, I'm interested in making a shaman. I get that I have to buy magic as my A and that I start with six spells. I have two questions beyond that. The first is, in addition to the spells, there are two skills available to mages only, Sorcery and Conjuring. Do you have to take both to be able to cast?

Sorcery is for spellcasting.  Conjuring is for summoning spirits.  Hermetic Mages can summon elemental spirits and Shamans can summon nature spirits.  I really need to write out a list of spirits and how they are summoned. 

I'm thinking that a summoned spirit's Attribute Descriptors will be limited by the levels in Conjuring the mage has... meaning that the spirit can't have a higher level in a single descriptor than it's summoner's Conjuring level.  In addition, I'm going to say that a summoned spirit has a number of descriptor levels equal to the mage's magic rating (6 for most starting mages).  The player can distribute those levels amongst the spirit's "stats" as they wish, but try and be realistic as to the nature of the spirit. 

So a mage who summons an earth elemental with Conjuring x2 summons an earth elemental with Strong x2, Tough x2 and Willful x2 along with Agile -1 (the spirit's penalty attribute) while a mage with a Conjuring of x4 could summon an earth elemental with Strong x3 and Tough x3 (and Agile -1) or Strong x4 and Tough x2 with Agile -1.  Each spirit will have other nifty stuff that it can do just by virtue of being that type of spirit, and I'll be making a list of all that.

I'm just not clear where the line is between those skills and the spells listed. Secondly, am I correct in that regardless of your totem spirit, you can choose any spell from any school? Thanks in advance! If I don't start now I won't have a character sheet until February :P

You are correct.  Any spell can be cast by any shaman or hermetic mage.  It's just the way each casts that spell may be different depending on their own world and spritual views.  I hope that makes sense.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
So here is the list of spirits... it's going to go on the wiki as well, but I wanted to share it here first.

NATURE SPIRITS

Nature Spirits must be summoned from within the spirit's domain, but they may be summoned spontaneously.  Example: A River Spirit can only be summoned from a river and cannot venture far from that domain.

Spirits of Water

(which includes spirits of sea, river, lake, swamp and so on)

All Spirits of Water tend to have similar attributes and powers.

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Agile, Willful, Charismatic

Penalty Attribute:  Strong

Special Powers:  Liquid Body, Flood, Healing, Extinguish

Spirits of Heaven

(which includes spirits of fog, thunderstorm and others)

All Spirits of Heaven tend to have similar attributes, but may have different powers.

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Agile, Smart

Penalty Attribute:  Tough

Special Powers:  Ethereal Body (All), Cloud of Fog (Fog), Lightning Blast (Thunderstorm), Wind Blast (Thunderstorm), Thunderclap (Thunderstorm)

Spirits of Land

(which includes spirits of prairie, desert, woodland, mountains and others)

All Spirits of Land tend to have similar attributes, but may have different powers.

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Strong, Tough, Willful

Penalty Attribute:  Agile

Special Powers:  Earthen Body - AR 3 (Prairie), Sand Body (Desert), Wood Body - AR 3 (Woodland), Stone Body - AR 4 (Mountain), Earthquake (Prairie, Mountain), Sandstorm (Desert), Regeneration (Woodland)

Spirits of Man

(which includes spirits of the streets, hearth and field)

Spirits of Man can have a wide range of attributes, but may have different powers.

Penalty Attribute:  Player's choice at the time of summoning

Special Powers:  Wisdom of the Domain (All)

ELEMENTAL SPIRITS

Elemental Spirits may only be summoned in hermetic rituals which take an hour to perform.  They cannot be summoned spontaneously.  Each elemental summoned will perform one task (to the best of it's ability) per level the summoner has in "Charismatic" plus one.  Ie, a character with no descriptors in "Charismatic" can only ask the spirit to perform one task, while someone with "Charismatic x2" could ask for three tasks. 

Tasks can include such things as "Protect me for the next 24 hours", "Guard this location for the next week" or "Melt through this door". 

Earth Elementals

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Strong, Tough, Willful

Penalty Attribute:  Agile

Special Powers:  Stone Body - AR 4, Earthquake

Fire Elementals

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Agile, Tough, Charismatic

Penalty Attribute:  Willful

Special Powers:  Flame Body, Incinerate

Air Elementals

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Agile, Smart, Willful

Special Powers:  Ethereal Body, Wind Blast, Twister

Water Elementals

Typical "Strong" Attributes:  Agile, Willful, Charismatic

Special Powers:  Liquid Body, Flood, Healing, Extinguish

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
So I have decided to go with this setup for now.  In addition to the success of the run, I'll be making another roll on this chart for each run.

...and yes, for groups of PCs doing these runs, they can set up one character as the "Face" or the "Negotiator" for the team for that run.  This character can be different than the "leader" of the team.  The "Face" uses his or her modifier for the whole team.  The idea is that the "Face" is sweet talking the contact out of more nuyen for the job, assuming it's successful.

Nuyen Modifiers:

Modifier to the roll = Charismatic levels + Negotiation levels (So a maxed out "Face" could have a +6 modifier)

1-3: x.5

4-6: x.75

7-14: x1

15-17: x1.5

18-20: x2

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
So I have decided to go with this setup for now.  In addition to the success of the run, I'll be making another roll on this chart for each run.

...and yes, for groups of PCs doing these runs, they can set up one character as the "Face" or the "Negotiator" for the team for that run.  This character can be different than the "leader" of the team.  The "Face" uses his or her modifier for the whole team.  The idea is that the "Face" is sweet talking the contact out of more nuyen for the job, assuming it's successful.

Nuyen Modifiers:

Modifier to the roll = Charismatic levels + Negotiation levels (So a maxed out "Face" could have a +6 modifier)

1-3: x.5

4-6: x.75

7-14: x1

15-17: x1.5

18-20: x2

I may change the chart to this:

1-2: x.5

3-5: x.75

6-16: x1

17-18: x1.5

19-20: x2

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
That works...

I think I know the answer to this but I want to check anyway. On a "solo run" (ie one with 4 NPCs that we simply do as a background run) obviously the the prize money goes to the player. In a played-out run, or a background run with more than one player, I'm assuming that each player gets the full amount?

In other words the actual fee for the run is five times the figure awarded, and each "runner"  gets an equal cut.

This does beg the question, does the leader of the run get a bonus for leading it? Just a thought. Probably too complex and better to stick with equal amounts, but if we actually do an "all player" run, with five players, it's going to be interesting as to how it plays out.

I'm interested to know the following: Suppose we have a three- player (2 NPC) team. I believe you said that the status of the team leader is the one who determines the outcome of the run. Now, if the roll indicates that there is an injury, (guess what I'm going to ask...)

Is everyone injured or only the leader? Or is there a random chance that the other PCs might be injured too?

If I'm asking too many awkward questions, please feel free to tell me to STFU!

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
That works...

I think I know the answer to this but I want to check anyway. On a "solo run" (ie one with 4 NPCs that we simply do as a background run) obviously the the prize money goes to the player. In a played-out run, or a background run with more than one player, I'm assuming that each player gets the full amount?

In other words the actual fee for the run is five times the figure awarded, and each "runner"  gets an equal cut.

That's exactly it.  The amounts on the chart are already counting the character's cut being less than the money between all the PCs or NPCs.  So yes, every player gets the full amount.

This does beg the question, does the leader of the run get a bonus for leading it? Just a thought. Probably too complex and better to stick with equal amounts, but if we actually do an "all player" run, with five players, it's going to be interesting as to how it plays out.

Nope, no bonus other than the fact that his or her experience and expertise are what helped the team pull through.  If the others on the team (PCs) want to give the leader extra nuyen for that, they can... but the NPCs will not (greedy bastards).

I'm interested to know the following: Suppose we have a three- player (2 NPC) team. I believe you said that the status of the team leader is the one who determines the outcome of the run. Now, if the roll indicates that there is an injury, (guess what I'm going to ask...)

Is everyone injured or only the leader? Or is there a random chance that the other PCs might be injured too?

Since everyone can reap the reward together as a team, everyone gets injured if the roll for the team decrees.  It's just simpler that way in the end, and I'm really trying hard to keep this stuff as simple as I can. 

If I'm asking too many awkward questions, please feel free to tell me to STFU!

Not at all.  Feel free to ask away!  Better that these questions get answered now than later.  :-)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
Since I was going to make a Face character, I like this idea.

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
Okay, the answers were what I was expecting, I asked because no-one else did, and these are questions that if they don't get asked, someone will assume the opposite of what I did!

I'm getting the hang of it though - "Occam's Razor points the way"!

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Interest Thread is up!  ;D

Offline Michael Corvus

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
Woot!

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
Damn, that went to 19 pages quickly....

Okay so, my next question is, are you going to hold one recruiting session at the beginning and then never recruit again, or can someone like me who is not so good in big crowds wait until the interest has died down somewhat, the shiny has worn off, the people who thought they would try it have all dropped out and you are looking for more players?

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »
I expect it'll be more like an 'always recruiting' game - he's giving out advancement awards in 3-month increments, and money rewards at the end of each month. Whether he'll make an active push for new players I don't know, but I doubt it'll get closed to new applicants.

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
Okay...

I get easily intimidated by things like that. When Mars Colony went to 20 players in about a week I almost had a heart attack. Now down to a more manageable ten or so...

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Damn, that went to 19 pages quickly....

Okay so, my next question is, are you going to hold one recruiting session at the beginning and then never recruit again, or can someone like me who is not so good in big crowds wait until the interest has died down somewhat, the shiny has worn off, the people who thought they would try it have all dropped out and you are looking for more players?

I expect it'll be more like an 'always recruiting' game - he's giving out advancement awards in 3-month increments, and money rewards at the end of each month. Whether he'll make an active push for new players I don't know, but I doubt it'll get closed to new applicants.

Yep.  We'll likely always be accepting new players/characters (though the hard limit is three characters per player).  You're free to join in at any point you feel most comfortable, Chrystal.  :-)

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
Thanks, good to know.