You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 11:19:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Q&A For the Upcoming Shadowrun Game  (Read 2059 times)

Offline LunarSageTopic starter

Q&A For the Upcoming Shadowrun Game
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
(Alxnjsh, let me know if this is the appropriate place for this thread)

Just so the other thread isn't cluttered up anymore, I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to discussions and questions about the upcoming Shadowrun group game that I will be running.  The link to the (WIP) wiki is in my signature.  To anyone who is interested, I'd recommend you peruse the wiki at your leisure.  We're going to have enough information up there that anyone, whether or not they're familiar with the setting can play and enjoy this game.

I want to make it clear once again that while the game will have very simple 'stats' and equipment, this is not going to be a system game.  Dice will not be involved.  The 'stats' and gear are there to provide an idea of a given character's capabilities and limitations as an aid to the RP.  Nothing more.  The gear is also there because it's fun to go 'shopping' in games (at least it always has been in my opinion). 

Note also that while I encourage discussion and questions about the game, actual recruitment won't open up until January.  That said, I also want to make it clear that this game welcomes any players who are able to commit to posting regularly.  If you only post in group games once a month, then this game is perhaps not for you.  Posting super slow is fine for one on ones, but it can potentially kill a group game.  People wait weeks for one player to post and finally more and more players lose interest in the game because of it.  I'm not saying there can't be extenuating circumstances, but communication is key.  Let us know if you won't be able to post for awhile and we can work the posts around that.  It's when people just disappear with no explanation that can be toxic to a good group game.  At least in my experience.

As for me, I run three or four successful group games, two of which are in Big Game status.  I hope that this game will be successful enough to reach Big Game status fairly quickly.

The game will take place in Seattle in the year 2070.  While anyone is welcome to make any kind of character they want to (within the guidelines), making actual Shadowrunners (inner-city mercenaries who engage in illegal activities for whoever can pay them... usually corporations.  Anything from corporate espionage to courier service to actual wetwork) is encouraged.  That doesn't mean that you can't make a waitress or a gang member or low level (non Made) Mafia member, but I'd like the majority of the characters to be runners.

Go ahead and ask any questions you'd like.  I'd like to thank Josietta for her hard work on the wiki and MichaelCorvus for his behind the scenes editing and graphics contributions.  Finally I'd like to thank all of our future players.  Without you, no game can support itself.

Offline Niferbelle

Re: Q&A For the Upcoming Shadowrun Game
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to it! I've been searching for charrie pics already. Is it going to be an issue do you think if I haven't played the system before?

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
I'm looking forward to it! I've been searching for charrie pics already. Is it going to be an issue do you think if I haven't played the system before?

Hey Niferbelle!  Good to see you up and interested!  ;D

You don't need to worry.  There is no system to be concerned about.  The only 'stats' we're using are really simplified and straightforward ideas that I came up with myself.  Remember, there will be no dice. 

Now if you mean that you're not familiar with the setting, then no, I don't think that will be an issue either.  You've got over two months to take your time reading the setting information that we've got on the Wiki (though we do need to get the 'history of the world' part up).  As always, if something doesn't make sense, you can always ask me and I'll be happy to answer any questions.  :-)

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »
Are you guys gonna go Pink Mohawk or more like a heist game of scrupulous planning and preparation?

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »
Cold Heritage:  Could you be a bit more specific?

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
I guess it's a question of style, and how you, the GMs, will expect characters to comport themselves. The most common expectation that I have run into with Shadowrun is the expectation that the characters will operate primarily through stealth, and spend 90% of their time preparing for a shadowrun - casing the target, acquiring specific equipment to defeat security measures the target has, arranging for transport to and from the target,  finding out who in Lonestar (or whichever private security company is in charge) to bribe to ensure patrols are diverted conveniently to the other side of town, and that sort of thing. And then, during the shadowrun itself, the players are all expected to stealth their way around and do everything in their power to avoid detection, and when they invariably do because they lack the monetary capacity to know and deal with all anti-theft measures a megacorporation can procure, the players then run away. And if they do engage, it's with non-lethal measures like foam grenades, rubber bullets, flash bangs, and what have you. Is that in line with how you envision characters in action?

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »
Ok, it's like this...

There is no way that in  a given IC month enough runs can actually be played out to justify payouts sufficient to keep a runner with anything above Low Lifestyle able to pay his or her bills.  Yes, I plan on having months go by in game every so often and when that happens, there will be a system in place where a character sends me a PM telling me how many runs their character (behind the scenes) attempted that month and how difficult each run was.  This system will involve special charts that I will use and will be the only time dice will ever be involved in this game (and even then the players will not even see the rolls or have to worry about how it works.  It'll all be done on my end).  A character can attempt up to 5 runs a month.

Basically, the runs will come in 4 flavors.  Milk Runs, Moderate Runs, Difficult Runs and Very Difficult Runs.  The more risk involved, the more the run pays, but doing poorly on the run is more likely.  There are four ways a run can go.  Success, Success with Injury, Failure, or Failure with Injury.  Injury means that doctor bills end up costing Nuyen... so if you succeed with Injuries, those Doctor bills are going to eat into your profits.  Runs also give Street Cred, which can affect how NPCs and even other PCs treat your character and represent the effect of getting more 'experienced' in Shadowrunning.  Milk Runs give 0 cred, Moderate Runs give 1 cred, Difficult Runs give 2 cred and Very Difficult Runs  give 3 cred.  For every ten cred you have, you get a bonus on those secret rolls to see if a run succeeds or not.  For every 20 cred you have, you gain a free point in or toward a new contact.

In addition, every character that was played fairly consistently that month gets a point with which they can increase their 'stats'.  It can be used to raise an attribute, increase or get a new skill, get a new contact or even just turn it in for Nuyen.

What it boils down to is that most runs will not get RP'd out, but some of them still will.  Most of the RP with be between runs, gang encounters and other fun stuff.

If folks want to go way detailed in preparing for a run like you described, they're more than welcome to, but for those background runs, it's generally assumed that planning did go into them.  Whether they did things by stealth or had to gun their way out depends on the RP for the runs that get played out and the results on the charts (that the GM takes complete care of) for the background runs. 

Non lethal measures?  I'm not sure what you mean.  I've never seen a team of shadowrunners that wasn't packing live heat.  It's up to the individual characters if they want to use lethal or non-lethal force.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »
I wish I had your experience with Shadowrun. :(

But, non-lethal: gel rounds, stick-n-shock, tasers, tear gas. The people I ended up playing with paid a lot of attention to the parts of the book that said that runners shouldn't be killing a lot of people because if they did, it made the 'corp look bad, as if they couldn't protect what was theirs, so they would send people after you and everyone you loved to send a message that they are not to be trifled with. And if you went in and waved your Predator around the GM was supposed to ensure that Lonestar found you, held you down, and parted cheeks for deepest rammings because that was just "realistic" "consequences" for the character's actions.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »
Heh in my opinion, focusing too much on that aspect kinda sucks the fun out of the game.  There's realism and there's -realism-.  To me, fun outweighs the extreme end of all that.  So nah... lethality is very prevalent.  Or at least it can be in this game... but if a character wants to use non lethal means, more power to them.  :-)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
If the bulk of the RP is going to be during downtimes between runs, the question isn't so crucial. But what I think he was trying to get at was the 'movie question' - does your vision of a Shadowrun mission/run sit closer to The Matrix or Ocean's Eleven? Is a battle won or lost in the planning+recon stage, or with 'guns, lots of guns'?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:51:53 AM by TheGlyphstone »

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »
I'd like to think it will be somewhere in the middle.  I don't want to chase away players who really don't want to write up a complex plan of how to break into a facility and such, but I don't want it to be a "me shoot good, me win mission" type thing either. 

Think of this game in the same way you might a guild in World of Warcraft.  There are guilds who are casual and there are hardcore raiding guilds.  This game will be closer to a "casual guild" in terms of the level of GM driven "action" (though players will certainly be free to make their own action scenes as long as they get the go ahead from the GMs first).  If the style of group game you enjoy is more comparable to a "hardcore raiding guild", where characters are always on the next mission to score that loot, this may not be the game for you.  I know that may deter some of the system gamers who may have been interested, but I want to make it clear that it's not going to be a system game... nor is it going to be entirely freeform.  I want it to be something in between.

That said, if it still sounds interesting, anyone is more than welcome to express interest and join when January comes.  The wiki is still a WIP though we did finally get the world history ("And so it came to pass") section up. 

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Heck, it gets more and more interesting the more you talk about it. This being a semi-freeform game without emphasis on the runs themselves gives freedom to play things that would get you booted from most tabletop groups, like a high-Charisma Troll 'face'. I've already chosen my Priorities. :D

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
Yeah, Glyphstone got to the heart of what I was trying to ask, with great and mighty succinctness.

It sounds pretty cool. Come January I'll probably check it out.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »
Glad to hear it.  :-)

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
I just wrote up a description of how the Matrix/Hacking stuff is going to work for this game.  This is subject to change.  I'd like some input.  Remember, I don't want to make it -too- complicated but there needs to be something in place to establish how effective a given character is at Matrix stuff.

Link

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 08:06:41 AM »
Ok, for the most part, I believe we have everything on the wiki now that we want on there.  We just need to polish it up a bit and do some more coding to make it look better in some tables, etc.

Looking forward to opening up recruitment on the 1st!  :-)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »
*sets clock*

Offline Ciosa

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 02:03:59 AM »
I wish I had your experience with Shadowrun. :(

But, non-lethal: gel rounds, stick-n-shock, tasers, tear gas. The people I ended up playing with paid a lot of attention to the parts of the book that said that runners shouldn't be killing a lot of people because if they did, it made the 'corp look bad, as if they couldn't protect what was theirs, so they would send people after you and everyone you loved to send a message that they are not to be trifled with. And if you went in and waved your Predator around the GM was supposed to ensure that Lonestar found you, held you down, and parted cheeks for deepest rammings because that was just "realistic" "consequences" for the character's actions.

My experience is this kind of methodology comes in two parts - players who want conscientious characters, and players who are consummate professionals who use those techniques when a run requires it - i.e, an extraction and the like.  IMHO, There's plenty of runners in the world who will do anything for money. 

I just wrote up a description of how the Matrix/Hacking stuff is going to work for this game.  This is subject to change.  I'd like some input.  Remember, I don't want to make it -too- complicated but there needs to be something in place to establish how effective a given character is at Matrix stuff.

I'm interested in running a ... odd concept for a technomancer.  If you still need people running around the Matrix - if not, I can dig up a new concept.  (If you're full, too, you can just tell me I'm late to the party.  ;)  )  Do you have time or inclination to include one?

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
I'm interested in running a ... odd concept for a technomancer.  If you still need people running around the Matrix - if not, I can dig up a new concept.  (If you're full, too, you can just tell me I'm late to the party.  ;)  )  Do you have time or inclination to include one?

Nope, we're not full.  I don't plan to limit the initial players since in my experience you tend to lose players in any group game after the first month.  That's just to be expected, though I would hope that folks stick around with us.

As for a technomancer, that's a fine concept.  Once the OOC thread is created on the 1st, we can discuss concepts that have bearing on the rest of the PCs and whatnot more in depth.  Right now I'm hard at work trying to get everything else done and ready.

----------------------------

I do have a question though for all you numbers guys.  As I said before, the only thing dice will be used for in this game is by me behind the scenes to determine peoples' success or failure in a given run (the runs that don't get played out.  Should be most of them).  That said, I've created a prototype chart for the different runs.  Bear in mind that each run will get a d20 rolled for it, modified by the character's Street Cred divided by 10.  Ie, a character with a street cred of 24 would get a +2 to the roll due to their experience.  So to start, everyone gets no bonus to that roll.

Milk Runs:

1-2: Failure With Injury - The run has failed and you had to get out of the area quick, but you suffered injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.

3-4: Failure - The run has failed but at least you got out without being hurt too badly.

5-6: Success with Injury - You have succeeded at the run but not without suffering injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.  Rake in 500 from the run.

7-20: Success! - You completed the run with no injuries!  Way to go, chummer!  Rake in 500 from the run.

Moderate Runs:

1-3: Failure With Injury - The run has failed and you had to get out of the area quick, but you suffered injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.

4-6: Failure - The run has failed but at least you got out without being hurt too badly.

7-12: Success with Injury - You have succeeded at the run but not without suffering injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.  Rake in 1,000 from the run, along with 1 Street Cred.

13-20: Success! - You completed the run with no injuries!  Way to go, chummer!  Rake in 1,000 from the run, along with 1 Street Cred.

Difficult Runs:

1-4: Failure With Injury - The run has failed and you had to get out of the area quick, but you suffered injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.

5-9: Failure - The run has failed but at least you got out without being hurt too badly.

10-15: Success with Injury - You have succeeded at the run but not without suffering injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.  Rake in 3,000 from the run, along with 2 Street Cred.

16-20: Success! - You completed the run with no injuries!  Way to go, chummer!  Rake in 3,000 from the run, along with 2 Street Cred.

Very Difficult Runs:

1-6: Failure With Injury - The run has failed and you had to get out of the area quick, but you suffered injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.

7-13: Failure - The run has failed but at least you got out without being hurt too badly.

14-17: Success with Injury - You have succeeded at the run but not without suffering injuries.  Pay 500 and miss out on the next run, or 1,000 for better medical treatment and you don't miss out on the next run.  Rake in 8,000 from the run, along with 3 Street Cred.

18-20: Success! - You completed the run with no injuries!  Way to go, chummer!  Rake in 8,000 from the run, along with 3 Street Cred.

I want to know if the numbers seem alright along with the degree of difficulty increasing compared to the potential rewards.  I'm not that great with variable number charts.

Offline Ciosa

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 10:49:58 AM »
Lunar,

My only suggestion would be, having the financial rewards be a base amount, and have the Street Cred lead to a rating that is boosted over time, and acts a multiplier.  If, for example, the lowest rating is 'Soyeater,' have the multiplier be x .5, until they've established enough of a reputation to move up a 'rank.'  Then, if a character achieves a rank like 'Legend of the Shadows,' or something similar, their multiplier is much higher.  (x10, or something.  The street cred should be no different.)  If new runners join the game later, they'll have to earn the respect of their peers, and long established runners will receive greater rewards - and braver runners will have something to toot their horn with, in the form of a social status among their peers.

Just my two nuyen.

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
Thanks Ciosa.  I'll definitely keep that in mind.   :-)

I just want to reiterate that all these numbers and the dice and such will all be behind the scenes once the game starts.  Players will not have to worry about modifiers and bonuses and whatnot.  I'll handle it all myself, so I don't want the apparent complexity to put anyone off of the idea of the game.

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
Yum. The more I hear about this the more I want in. I just hope I'm not over-committing myself.

Definitely making a sexy lesbian Orc cyber-runner.... *giggles*

Couple of questions:

Will our stats (other than already mentioned street-cred stat) affect success or failure on a run? I realise the answer is probably "no", which is fine, but I've not really played anything other than freeform in a long while.

What if we want to collaborate on a run with someone - say a razor needs a netrunner to run interference for her, or maybe a netrunner needs physical assault launched to distract the guards of a place? Obviously if we play the run out, then the cooperation is obvious, but what about the back-ground runs? Is it possible to collaborate on them? If so, how will it affect the run if one player has a high cred and the other low?

I also think that the reward should not be an arbitrary fixed amount, but perhaps a random figure? That introduces an element of uncertainty. It would be possible to pull off an extra hard run and come away with nothing, or to pull off a milk run and hit the jack-pot! Perhaps roll 5d100, 10d100, 30d100 and 80d100 - I'm pretty sure the dice-roller allows that...? Just a suggestion and the numbers need working on...

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Yum. The more I hear about this the more I want in. I just hope I'm not over-committing myself.

Definitely making a sexy lesbian Orc cyber-runner.... *giggles*

Sweet!  ;D

Couple of questions:

Will our stats (other than already mentioned street-cred stat) affect success or failure on a run? I realise the answer is probably "no", which is fine, but I've not really played anything other than freeform in a long while.

Nope, just street cred.  Factoring in "stats" would make things way too complicated and I want to keep things as simple as I possibly can.

What if we want to collaborate on a run with someone - say a razor needs a netrunner to run interference for her, or maybe a netrunner needs physical assault launched to distract the guards of a place? Obviously if we play the run out, then the cooperation is obvious, but what about the back-ground runs? Is it possible to collaborate on them? If so, how will it affect the run if one player has a high cred and the other low?

Here's what I have written up so far for the Runs stuff.  The last part answers that question, I believe. 

STREET CRED:  Street cred is clout and experience all rolled into one.  Other runners tend to give those with higher street cred respect, even if that respect if begrudgingly given.  You are more well known to Johnsons, Fixers and other runners, but that also means your name is known amongst law enforcement officers as well.  Make a good name for yourself, and the runs will just get easier.

The GM adds 1/10th (round down) of your Street Cred rating to the secret rolls to determine the success or failure of a given run.  Also, for every 20 Street Cred you earn, the character receives a free level in a contact.

At the end of each in game month (which will be announced by the GMs), each player will PM LunarSage with up to 5 runs that they would like a given character to go on.  You don't have to do 5 runs, but you can do no more than 5 each month per character.  You choose the difficulty of each run and send what you'd like to attempt like this example:

"The Chrome Badger - 5 runs (in this order)

1 Milk Run
1 Moderate Run
1 Moderate Run
1 Milk Run
1 Difficult Run

(If CB gets injured, he'll pay the 1,000 so he doesn't miss out on the next run)"

The GM in charge of the rolls (LunarSage) will then make a roll with a twenty sided die for each run and the success or failure of said runs will be PMed back, along with the total nuyen earned or lost, as well as earned Street Cred for that month.  He will also give a brief description of that run.  There will be a thread where the players will have the option of writing up a detailed description (anything from a paragraph on) of each run and what happened exactly.  Well written run descriptions may have aspects of them posted as rumors or on the news ("An Ares R&D facility exploded last night.  Authorities are not releasing any information, but speculations are running rampant").

NOTE:  If characters wish to go on runs together, they need to decide amongst themselves who the "leader" of the group is.  The "leader" uses his or her Street Cred bonus for the Run roll, so it's advantageous to assign the leader as the character with the highest Street Cred bonus.  A runner team consists of 5 characters; usually two street samurai, one mage, one hacker and one "face", but this is not set in stone.  If you do a run "alone", it's assumed that your character was on a team of NPC runners for that particular run.

I also think that the reward should not be an arbitrary fixed amount, but perhaps a random figure? That introduces an element of uncertainty. It would be possible to pull off an extra hard run and come away with nothing, or to pull off a milk run and hit the jack-pot! Perhaps roll 5d100, 10d100, 30d100 and 80d100 - I'm pretty sure the dice-roller allows that...? Just a suggestion and the numbers need working on...

Noted and that's a potentially great idea.  I can't promise it will for sure get implemented, but I welcome all feedback and will give weight to the possibility of using something like that.

Offline Chrystal

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »
Ah, right. That explains that, thanks....

So basically one never actually does a run alone, but always with a team of five that can be anything from 1 to 5 PCs and 4 to 0 NPCs.

Makes perfect sense now.

The money thing was just an idea. If it's too complex to implement then forget it. Or possibly make it simpler, maybe multiples of 100 Nuyen, and roll 1d10, 2d10, 3d10, 4d10. The only thing I can see causing an issue is if someone persistently gets bad rolls, then might want to see the dice roll results, but that could happen regardless.

Offline Niferbelle

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
I have a boring question on mechanics >.> Shadowrun is totally new to me so I'm trying to get things sorted out in preparation for creating a character. So, I'm interested in making a shaman. I get that I have to buy magic as my A and that I start with six spells. I have two questions beyond that. The first is, in addition to the spells, there are two skills available to mages only, Sorcery and Conjuring. Do you have to take both to be able to cast? I'm just not clear where the line is between those skills and the spells listed. Secondly, am I correct in that regardless of your totem spirit, you can choose any spell from any school? Thanks in advance! If I don't start now I won't have a character sheet until February :P