Is Voting for Obama Better than Voting for Romney?

Started by errantwandering, September 28, 2012, 05:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on September 30, 2012, 12:55:09 PM
I thought there was a big controversy under Reagan about the Grenada invasion, but frankly, I was too young to have been paying much attention. Reagan also presided over the Iran-Contra scandal.

I think Reagan did a lot of good for this country, but I sort of cringe at the canonization that he's received from some quarters. He also did a lot of bad things too... we just tend to forget about those things in comparison to him winning the Cold War and burying the hatchet with the Soviet Union. He humanized the evil empire that might launch nukes at us at any moment and end the world, and got them to stop ramping up the cold war. He got both sides to agree to unprecedented levels of disarmament. One could make the argument that Reagan saved us all. But he was far from perfect, did plenty of bad stuff, and we should remember that too.

Want to see a Neo-conservative twitch? When the cite him as a the 'champion of trickle down' and 'smaller government' point out that he raised taxes on the upper brackets 8 times in his first 6 years, and that he grew government as much as he 'shrank it'. He was more 'right sized' than 'down sized' and would NEVER buy into a lot of the foolishness folks say he was a proponent of. St. Ronnie would have been wiling to work with the Dems... and I doubt he'd have done the 'the next 2 years our goal is bringing down President Obama' nonsense.

Ironwolf85

I find myself shaking my head in shame every time a "republican" and I use that word meaning "is in the party" opens his mouth these days.
My father hates the president, but these days I can notice not so much his dislike wavering, as his support for all the asinine things the republican party is pulling and saying. I think he's just as sick as I am of trying to find a way to justify their statements in logical terms.
Diffrence is he was raised in a conservitive farm family, and in the first generation to get a high school diploma, and while I have the same values. I do not have ANYTHING to wax noglasticly about, and am therefore going to call bullshit bullshit, no matter what party says it.

Basicly my father is old guard republican, and ever since bush I've gone independent, the party and it's ideals left me and so many others in the dust over those eight years.
I also remember people on the TV going on about "we're winning, life is grand" and I'm looking around and think "it's not"
I've been voting mostly democrat ever since.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on October 01, 2012, 11:17:52 PM
Basicly my father is old guard republican, and ever since bush I've gone independent, the party and it's ideals left me and so many others in the dust over those eight years.
I also remember people on the TV going on about "we're winning, life is grand" and I'm looking around and think "it's not"
I've been voting mostly democrat ever since.

IE.. the part of the party that got left behind.. like the Democrats left behind the Union and Farmers for other groups. No one REALLY represents any type of labor anymore. The GOP is firmly in the pocket of big business and the Dems aren't that far behind.

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 01, 2012, 11:29:46 PM
IE.. the part of the party that got left behind.. like the Democrats left behind the Union and Farmers for other groups. No one REALLY represents any type of labor anymore. The GOP is firmly in the pocket of big business and the Dems aren't that far behind.

I think as labor has been exported or downsized it's voice has likewise shrunk
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on October 01, 2012, 11:36:04 PM
I think as labor has been exported or downsized it's voice has likewise shrunk

Well the ivory tower intellectuals (ex-hippies for example) of the 60s took the Democrats from labor in the 70s.. and the more conservative labor types didn't get along with that. So they got marginalized.. used to be a synergy between the groups that let the Dems run a much better national party get more folks out.. Now the Dems are wonderign where their 'worker bees' are as they watch the Tea Party types do the bidding of the GOP party.

Had party leadership not snubbed labor in the 70s and early 80s.. Reagan wouldn't have gotten in as easily (the unions backed him in a stunning move to try and protect the worker's rights..which the Dems snubbed.. and the rest is history)

Stattick

I used to be an independent, back when the Democrats were left of center and the Republicans were right of center. Then the Republican Party lost its mind. Now the Republicans are way, way, way right of center, and the Democrats are centrists. Now I'm a Democrat...

I miss when we had sane a Republican Party, and one that didn't have purity tests and work in lockstep. But with the obstructionism and filibuster spamming they've been doing while we're in the worst economic crisis since The Great Depression, I cannot bring myself to vote Republican anymore. I may never vote Republican again because of how they gambled the world in the last few years.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on October 01, 2012, 11:57:00 PM
I used to be an independent, back when the Democrats were left of center and the Republicans were right of center. Then the Republican Party lost its mind. Now the Republicans are way, way, way right of center, and the Democrats are centrists. Now I'm a Democrat...

I miss when we had sane a Republican Party, and one that didn't have purity tests and work in lockstep. But with the obstructionism and filibuster spamming they've been doing while we're in the worst economic crisis since The Great Depression, I cannot bring myself to vote Republican anymore. I may never vote Republican again because of how they gambled the world in the last few years.

Sadly I agree. The GoP has gone too far to the right and the tactics they use within the party to maintain concensus leave me thinking that someone more moderate could spin off or schism the party. Provided you can find a moderate GOP politician with the focus and spine

MasterMischief

They have had to go further right to try and paint Obama as such a leftie.

Ironwolf85

Quote from: MasterMischief on October 03, 2012, 11:14:20 AM
They have had to go further right to try and paint Obama as such a leftie.

I wouldn't doubt it....

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 01, 2012, 11:29:46 PM

Careful there...you're about one short step from saying that both Democrats and Republicans are arms of Big Business, and I thought we established earlier in the thread that such statements are heresy.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on October 05, 2012, 12:11:23 PM
Careful there...you're about one short step from saying that both Democrats and Republicans are arms of Big Business, and I thought we established earlier in the thread that such statements are heresy.

No.. we established that no shadowy cabal is the beginning and end all of the reasons why everything we suggest doing ISN'T a waste of time. The Lobbyisht/Special Interest circuit does provide essential knowledge and outlooks but the system has become profoundly broken and needs fixing. Reform is needed. Not tinfoil.

MasterMischief

Ironwolf85