You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 25, 2016, 12:15:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Are phone / Internet cables dangerous?  (Read 332 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Are phone / Internet cables dangerous?
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:28:59 AM »
I have a question:

today at work, thoughtlessly, a grabbed an Internet-providing cable by its plug. Was it dangerous? Did I risk electrocution by touching the metal connectors in the plug?

Offline Zorak

Re: Are phone / Internet cables dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »

As a general rule, signal cables do not carry an electrical charge UNLESS something is VERY VERY wrong (I've seen it happen when a metal desk was on top of an electrical cable, and wore through the insulation.  Since the signal cable (in that case, a co-axial cable TV cable) is GROUNDED, you'd get a shock if you touched the cable, and the desk, together.  But that was really really weird.

If you're using an old-fashioned telephone cable, it might be possible to get a tiny buzz of a shock (like from a 9 volt battery) if you're touching the wrong connectors at just the right time when someone calls the phone, and the phone company sends out a ring-charge.

In your office, the only wires that can shock you, are ones that lead to an electrical outlet :)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

Re: Are phone / Internet cables dangerous?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »
Thank you :)

BTW. Zorak! From the Space Ghost cartoon! Ha!  ;D