You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 10:22:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Help! Pythagoras, anyone?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Water LillyTopic starter

Help! Pythagoras, anyone?
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:59 PM »
So..I haven't had to use Pythagoras for more years that I care to admit, lol, so I'm a tad rusty.  If anyone could help, I'd be eternally grateful.

What's stumping me is one question on my worksheet.  I've been given the length of the hypotenuse of an isosceles, right-angled triangle, and asked to work out the length of the two other sides. 

Is the length of the hypotenuse alone enough information to work out the lenghts of the other, equal sides, as well as the area of the whole triangle?

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Help! Pythagoras, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:28 AM »
The simple answer is - Yes.  Click quote for what I believe is the solution.

The square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the two adjacent sides.

You need to work backwards.  Square the length of the hypotenuse and divide by 2 since the two adjacent sides are equal.  That will give you the square of either A or B.  The length of A or B is the square root of that number.

I think that's it.

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »
BeMi is right! And remember, the most important lesson of Pythagoras is to drown those who are smarter than you...

Offline Water LillyTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »
Thanks, BeMi!  The mistake I was making was not keeping the length of the hypotenuse squared in my calculations.  It works now! (clever camo, btw....*laughs*)

I'll remember that one, Alice!!  lmao!

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »
Yum!  Chocolates!  Fancy Chocolates!  Double Yum!

You're welcome.  I wasn't sure how much info you wanted to solve it so I hid it behind the curtain.  A spoiler would have been to easy to click. :-)

Alice, I never heard that but I'll certainly remember it.

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:59:21 AM »
Alice, I never heard that but I'll certainly remember it.

Tradition holds that the mathematician Hippasus was drowned by the gods for offending the students of Pythagoras; either by demonstrating the existence of irrational numbers or demonstrating the construction of a dodecahedron inside a sphere depending on whom you ask.