You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 02:36:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Looking for help with translation.  (Read 502 times)

Offline AntisoulTopic starter

Looking for help with translation.
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
So, I reach out to the multilingual community of Elliquiy. With a request and, apologies in advance if this has already been suggested, the proposition to use this thread to help one another with translating simply phrases and sentences from one language to another. I know that personally I can't count the times I've frustrated myself with web-translators to portray a character speaking a language I don't and feeling oddly compelled to get it 'just right'.

But who wants or can afford to professionally translate even the occasional tidbit when the computer can't do it? Rhetorical question.

My request is. Can someone transliterate (?? I'm looking for the literal meaning of this. Which would be, 'A box for storing and carrying one person's midday meal.' or 'Lunch'. ??) the word "lunchbox" into Russian? Specifically Cyrillic script with a phonetic roman spelling as well would be super. I'll write a glowingly contrived string of praises to whomever can/does. Really, I promise.

And.. lastly, should a cascade of replies along the lines of gtfo zomg etc. Come this way. Please at least do it in a different language than the last poster :-P.

Thank you for your time, enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:02:54 PM by Antisoul »

Online Vekseid

Re: Frustrated with Machine-Translation.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:31 AM »
You should probably specifically request a Russian speaker in your thread title. None of our Russian members are going to see 'Frustrated with Machine...' and think that it involves languages, much less theirs.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »
You should probably specifically request a Russian speaker in your thread title. None of our Russian members are going to see 'Frustrated with Machine...' and think that it involves languages, much less theirs.

I was thinking about that, it is an excellent point. Except.. I don't know how to change the title of a thread.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
Go to your first post and select 'Edit', and you can re-do the title as you want it.

Offline Moraline

Seeking a Russian Translation
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »
Click modify and change the subject line. It'll change the title of the post in question.

So modify the first post and it'll change the title.  Then reply to this post with the new title and every reply after that will yield the new title.

Je vous souhaite bien.

Offline alxnjsh

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »
коробка для завтрака

Korobka dlya zavtraka

Literally translated as "a case (or box) for lunch"

Looking for help with translation.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
Would this make sense to you alxnjsh if it were used in a sentence?

e.g. "That is my lunchbox."

Not a criticism, I ask to check this is the correct meaning. Perhaps though what I should be asking is if there is a similar word in Russian.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to help me out with that alxnjsh.

And likewise for the help fixing the title. Sorry I hadn't gotten to it sooner.

Offline alxnjsh

Re: Looking for help with translation.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
No, this merely means "lunch box." If you want a sentence that says "that is my lunchbox" you would say:

Это моя коробка для завтрака

Eh-ta my-a ka-robe-ka dlya zavt-ra-ka

Re: Looking for help with translation.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:26:14 AM »
Ah, thank you. So then in English I would say 'lunchbox' and in Russian I would say 'коробка для завтрака' and not be explaining what a lunchbox is but saying it?

Again thank you for the help and your patience.