You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 12:13:18 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Colorado Billboard  (Read 914 times)

Offline SerephinoTopic starter

Colorado Billboard
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:43:52 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-aurora-billboard-everyones-talking-203448772.html?_esi=1

Please, someone tell me this is a sick joke...  If some fucker really did this... I think I...  Sad part is I can't tell because there are people who would actually stoop this low.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:45:35 AM by Serephino »

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
Re: Colorado Billboard
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »
It appears to be legit.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
Technically legit but a dumbass message.

The funny thing is that looking at the comment thread for that Atlantic Wire article, people appear clearly to be talking back at previous posters, but the names they are putting first in their reply posts don't match any name nearby. Like, "Mark, there's been more than one gaffe..." - the guy he is set as replying to is not called Mark at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:26:48 AM by gaggedLouise »

Offline RubySlippers

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »
I can see the point Obama is fighting in wars and won a Nobel Peace Prize an award that should go to those preventing that very act of war. What did Obama DO to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize that compares to others who earned it for similar things? Nothing.

It is kind of crazy although comparing him to a murderous nutjob is unfair that other half on its own is right on the money.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
I can see the point Obama is fighting in wars and won a Nobel Peace Prize an award that should go to those preventing that very act of war. What did Obama DO to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize that compares to others who earned it for similar things? Nothing.

It is kind of crazy although comparing him to a murderous nutjob is unfair that other half on its own is right on the money.

I agree Obama's peace prize was premature, but surely he couldn't have expected it at that stage? It wouldn't be motivated now either, but that's kinda beside the point with that billboard - just as you're saying.

It's not the first time that the Nobel peace prize gets awarded on strange grounds. The award to Kissinger and Le Duc Tho for negotiating the end of the Vietnam war - something they did with their backs against the wall, and having helped prosecute the war for many years - was scorned in its own day and remains a very odd choice.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:50:06 AM by gaggedLouise »

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
Hyperbole FTW!  Sorry rational discussion, you lose.

Offline SerephinoTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
Sure, be upset with Obama for the wars, (which he did not start by the way), but to compare it to a mass murder??  *head desk*

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »
Rational political discourse is pretty much dead in America.  I've been planning for awhile to establish a domicile elsewhere I can relocate to when "abler men" get around to taking the reins here.

Offline Tyrunea

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »
I'm rather sad this exists so close to home.

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
...and to hear the Republicans complain about Obama's negative ads.  They have been running negative ads for four years.  Hypocrits!

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
...and to hear the Republicans complain about Obama's negative ads.  They have been running negative ads for four years.  Hypocrits!

Have you learned nothing? Neither party does negative ads, that is the criminal tactics of their rivals.

Offline vtboy

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
The billboard is obnoxious, but its persuasive impact, I think, is probably de minimis. Those who will nod approvingly as they pass it almost certainly already believe Obama responsible for all that plagues us, and those who doubt the other vile slanders flung his way are unlikely to accept this one. If anything,  the billboard may actually backfire on its sponsor by motivating Obama supporters to vote in greater numbers and to contribute more heavily to his campaign.   

The more polished, but equally false and malicious, content of the campaign aids with which the Romney campaign and its fellow travellers are littering the air waves is a source of far greater concern to me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:25:41 AM by vtboy »

Offline JuliusCaesar

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
Have you learned nothing? Neither party does negative ads, that is the criminal tactics of their rivals.

+1

A great point in regards to this billboard, but also to the 2012 campaign itself.