Persona Roleplay (OOC)

Started by Saikotsu, July 19, 2012, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikotsu

IC thread:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=147242.0
Character Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=146417.0
Interest check: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=145715.0

Welcome to the OOC thread for the persona roleplay. We'll use this thread to post anything ooc, from questions about how to proceed, to general discussions of various things. Generally, if it's not in-character, it goes HERE.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only screwing yourself.
- a friend
Anyone perfect must be lying.
-Bare Naked Ladies: falling for the first time.
Why is it blatantly obvious when two people are in love, but the two lovers are usually the last to find out?

The truth is only as dangerous as the lies we tell ourselves.

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Saikotsu

hey everyone. Question, would you rather have evokers like in 3 or the method used in 4, where they use a persona card?
- a friend
Why is it blatantly obvious when two people are in love, but the two lovers are usually the last to find out?

TheHangedOne

Why not go the route of 1 and 2, where it just sort of happens, no gimmicks needed?  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Saikotsu

We could do that too.  Also, how do we want to handle getting your persona? Any prefferences? I have a plan for awakening the power, but actually obtaining it is different depensing on the game.
- a friend

who149

Have you ever seen Persona 4 the Anime? I think we should go with that route, mixed in with 1 and 2.

If you havn't, in Persona 4 the Anime, the main characters only summoned there Persona's once while in the TV world, and then the Persona's did all the fighting while they felt it.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Saikotsu

Interesting....hmmm. that could make things both easier and more difficult. I really like the idea though.
- a friend

SpiralSpider

The evokers did kind of turn me off - they gave onlookers a really strange idea bout the game.

I wouldn't mind a focusing point, though (like a card) because that makes a lot more sense to me than having to send a massive shock through your system.

I'll always be a big fan of the early games though... but if we're only doing 1 persona for each, then it makes sense that a focal point would be needed, since it would likely have been harder to accomplish than in the first games.  :-\
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

who149

if you havn't watched the Anime I really suggest that you do. It is AMAZING. They pretty much fit all the important details from the game into it, and they smoothen it out a bit.

The fights are awesome to watch, the character interaction is hilarious, and is overall a great anime, even if you haven't played the games.

And yeah, the envokers were a needless add on to make the game look MUCH darker. Like, I couldn't play it in front of my nephew JUST because of that.  I'm so  glad they learned and changed it.

Ons and offs!

Rayve13

Got my character posted and all, huzzah!

As for the summoning method, I'm fine with the P4-style focal point. I would like to have the characters actually engage in combat rather than just the Personas doing the fighting, maybe just because that's what I'm familiar with from the assorted games.

Mossberg

Probably a card or something would be the best idea, this is the non-adult area after all. Maybe once they go into the game the persona could be their avatar or something.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

who149

Or maybe a blend?

Like, in the game they take characteristics of there Persona (clothes, weapons, important features, ect) but retain there looks. Only when they do there much more powerful attacks do they take the form of the full Persona, or the Full Persona is summoned.

Ons and offs!

Mossberg

That'd be somewhat like an Atma User.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Rayve13

Quote from: Mossberg on July 20, 2012, 02:44:01 PM
That'd be somewhat like an Atma User.

Yeah, with the primary form almost being the partial form from DDS2.

Anyway, I'm fine with Who's idea. I want to keep the physical immediacy of combat, since that provides a good early source of tension.

TheHangedOne

I thought the reason Evoker's were shaped like guns, and their was the whole faux-suicide thing, was because you had to force yourself to have a strong, emotional reaction in order to get the Persona to pop out; not just to make it dark.

As far as combat, I like the idea of them staying human, and the Persona only comes out to pull off their Skills.
Check out my poet tree!

Rayve13

If I remember correctly, Mitsuru designed the Evokers that way because Aki wanted them to be something militant.

Saikotsu

I don't remember them saying anything about why it was a gun in the games. Maybe in the manga or anime they mentioned it. 

Based on what everyone has said, here's how I intend to run this roleplay:

Evokers are a definite no.   Based on what has been said I think we should have a focus of some kind, but I think I'll leave it up to each character what they want it to be.  Since a persona is another side of a person, I think the focus should be relative to who that person is or the persona they are summoning.

I like what Who mentioned with the appearance thing, however that might be a bit awkward with certain persona's and their users. Thus I've decide that in the gameworld, the characters will have the option to take on traits of their persona appearance wise, but will otherwise be themselves.  I'll admit, it irks me that the students in the video games always run around in their school uniforms when exploring. Aren't they worried their uniforms will be ruined by combat? Plus, their uniforms provide little to no protection against the shadows.

Speaking of combat, we're going to handle it much like the games. I've GM'ed several games before, and what I've discovered is that excessive combat, and/or excessive dice rolling takes over the rp. To alleviate that, I'm going to reduce the number of battles a bit. They'll still be plenty of combat, no worries, but most battles will be fighting normal everyday shadows. For fights like that, I'll leave it up to the players to role-play it. Most of those battles shouldn't be more than two or three posts per player at the most.  However, significant story related battles, such as boss fights, those will be handled by a simple dice system.  We'll worry about crossing that bridge when we get there though.

Other than that,   I plan on setting up the in character thread either tomorrow or Monday. I've got some stuff I want to look up first before we begin. As always, if you have questions or concerns, feel free to bring them up or contact me.
- a friend

krakenknight

Mostly the evokers were used to inspire raw survival instinct in their users. They were merely a convenient method of summoning a persona without needing to directly put themselves in danger.

Saikotsu

Slight delay, sorry. Things came up.
- a friend

Mossberg

It's understandable man. Happens to everyone.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Rayve13

No problems. Just let us know when things lighten up  :-)

Saikotsu

Thanks for your understanding guys. I'm going to be moving soon, and i just got offered a new job so I have to take care of some stuff related to that tonight and tomorrow night. I'll attempt to start it if I get the chance but no guarantees.
- a friend

SpiralSpider

Hey guys,

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to drop out of this game. My plate is pretty full at the moment and I don't want to make anyone wait forever for replies so I thought it would be best to take myself out of the game before the story really got started.

I hope you all have lots of fun, though!
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Saikotsu

I'm sad to see ya go, but best of luck with everything. If things clear up later, you can always join in.
- a friend

Mossberg

Quote from: Chaznia on July 24, 2012, 12:03:36 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to drop out of this game. My plate is pretty full at the moment and I don't want to make anyone wait forever for replies so I thought it would be best to take myself out of the game before the story really got started.

I hope you all have lots of fun, though!
That's too bad. I think I'm almost at that point myself though so I can understand.

Quote from: Saikotsu on July 24, 2012, 10:50:48 AM
Thanks for your understanding guys. I'm going to be moving soon, and i just got offered a new job so I have to take care of some stuff related to that tonight and tomorrow night. I'll attempt to start it if I get the chance but no guarantees.
Good luck with all that man.
-Lews Therin Telamon