You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 10:31:42 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Art peoples...  (Read 1045 times)

Online OniyaTopic starter

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Art peoples...
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
I'm trying to lift a figure from the background it's on.  Might put it on another one, might not.  Problem is, the figure and the background are both dark, making my usual 'magic wand' tricks almost useless.

Any advice?  Don't be afraid to go technical - I am strong in the ways of Google-fu.  ;D

Offline Saerrael

• ~~~Seraph ; In love~~~ Do you like what you see? Let me entertain ya ’till you scream.
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Location: You don't know how you took it You just know what you got Oh Lordy you've been stealing from the thieves And you got caught
  • Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Art peoples...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
I'm trying to lift a figure from the background it's on.  Might put it on another one, might not.  Problem is, the figure and the background are both dark, making my usual 'magic wand' tricks almost useless.

Any advice?  Don't be afraid to go technical - I am strong in the ways of Google-fu.  ;D

Have you attempted tubing by eraser? Takes a while, but, depending the control, gives the best results.

Could you show me the image?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:29:13 PM by Saerra »

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Erasing is a great way to make the surounding area lighter, and then you can magnetic lasso it. Or, you can change the entire background color to something lighter first, and then lasso it. 

Offline Saerrael

• ~~~Seraph ; In love~~~ Do you like what you see? Let me entertain ya ’till you scream.
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Location: You don't know how you took it You just know what you got Oh Lordy you've been stealing from the thieves And you got caught
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Erasing is a great way to make the surounding area lighter, and then you can magnetic lasso it. Or, you can change the entire background color to something lighter first, and then lasso it.

Laying a coloured layer behind your img would be handier. If you make a mistake then, you can fix it easier. At least, that's how I experienced it.

Offline jouzinka

• Elf                            Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hîr nín, ú dollen i Rîw…
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
I'm not sure what your PSP can do, Oni. :-\

You can try to lighten the image via Levels or Curves overall, extract the figure from that, then use the extracted thing to make a selection on the dark image with the magic wand.

You can try to find a better quality image via tineye.com (or google) - maybe it won't be so dark. If they're both really dark, I would probably go with either eraser or masks that can be painted and re-painted over in case you make mistakes and sort of estimate where things should go. ;D

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
Laying a coloured layer behind your img would be handier. If you make a mistake then, you can fix it easier. At least, that's how I experienced it.

Good point  :-)

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Have you attempted tubing by eraser? Takes a while, but, depending the control, gives the best results.

Could you show me the image?

http://www.iballer.com/wallpaper/celebs/n_q/nichols/images/nichols1_800x600_jpg.jpg

The loose shirt looks like the shadows will just take large chunks out of it when I try to muck with it.

My concern is that the 'background' color is close enough to the 'foreground' that it might bleed in. 

I'm not sure what your PSP can do, Oni. :-\

You can try to lighten the image via Levels or Curves overall, extract the figure from that, then use the extracted thing to make a selection on the dark image with the magic wand.

You can try to find a better quality image via tineye.com (or google) - maybe it won't be so dark. If they're both really dark, I would probably go with either eraser or masks that can be painted and re-painted over in case you make mistakes and sort of estimate where things should go. ;D

I also have GIMP, and I can be remarkably stubborn with digital stuff (I've been known to work at the pixel level.)  I will be looking for a better contrast pic as well.

Offline Saerrael

• Champion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
http://www.iballer.com/wallpaper/celebs/n_q/nichols/images/nichols1_800x600_jpg.jpg

Good God, woman, you know how to pick your challenges.

I'd suggest to roughly mask, first, cut out, work from there with a fine eraser and keep a lightened copy of that image at hand. Either on a low opacity layer or in another window.

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
:-\  *nods*  It'll be worth it.  I might still be able to find a better contrast copy elsewhere, but once I can get rid of that background, the rest will require very little changing.  I'll see what effect Levels and Curves have on it as well (just have to reboot before I even get started with it - played with too many memory hogs today.)

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Here is the same image but a tad lighter.  I don't know if it will help.

http://www.iballer.com/malecelebs/nichols/images/n3_jpg.jpg

Offline Saerrael

• Champion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

That version is most definitely better. You can actually see his ARM there.

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »

Oh, hells yes!

Offline Psi

• Between Heaven and Hell and having a great time playing the middle.
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • Lost within your pretty green eyes
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
Make sure you mask, and apply any erasing to the mask, with a bright background layer.

As you erase the mask, you are leaving what you want.  If you make a mistake just paint back into the mask to bring back sections.  These may have been erased well past your undo history, or even after you have saved.

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
With the updated picture from BeMi, I'm having a lot better luck.  I do subscribe to the 'Sane Early and Often' mantra, and I'd say he's about 90% free from the background at this point.  I'll be sure to post results when it's done.  ^_^  Thanks all!

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
Good that it's working for you and I'm anxious to see the results when you have them. ;D

Offline Argleblather

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »

Like this?