Reckford Cannibalism (Zombie based) OPEN-Revived

Started by chanellelynn, July 07, 2012, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chanellelynn

We set the scene in a small mountain town that is cut off from the main city. A town that was discovered by those who wished to not participate in the modern hustle and bustle city. This is not an amish town no, we still have all the same things those city folk have. We just enjoy quiet.

The folk living here is rather nicer than most people you'd meet anywhere else, we enjoy each others company and greet each other in passing. Where everyone knows each others name and secrets.

Lately the night falls have become darker in our village due to the new plant the city nearest us has put up. The steam and smog billowing out every day covers the sky preventing the stars from shining and lighting our streets. The plant is a mystery, not even the cities people know what it exactly does. Rumors are it is an experimental facility using chemicals to "Cure" disease. We don't know for sure.
C.E Corp. wishes to offer us a deal though. This company wants us to subject ourselves to private experiments in exchange of money. Many of us denied due to our respect for ourself and the community. Those who did go, well, we have not seen them since.  It has been a month when the offer stood for grabs and most of our younger generations have taken upon themselves to gain more riches. The curious thing though, none of us were told what the experiment would be, or what it was going to do.

As far as we know, there has been some reaccuring deaths in the nearby woods of our small town Reckford. Brutal maulings of city folk and injuries done by mysterious animal like creatures. Most of the time it has happened during the night, those who came back couldnt describe what attacked them other than long moaning. Those that were attacked during the day...well, only one came back so far alive with their face torn apart, not able to talk. They soon died and was taken  to be buried by their family.

Today we are facing the return of many of our young adults from the experiments, I just hope they come straight home and let us know they are ok.

((This RP is open based, no need for a profile or explaination. I do respect literacy and good detail please. There is no limit to  people, the RP can go either way. I mean by this is you may take the story far and twist it any way you wish. We are basing the RP around Zombies and Night Creatures, Deriving from the Facility that has been made. You may make up anything to go with this, such as if the city produced it underground or it came from the sky what have you. This is NOT resident evil, but the idea of a virus and zombies is taken from that. You may put any logic or nonsense into this as well.)

OPEN.

chanellelynn

I stretched out in my chair upon the porch of which was attached to my home. A small two bedroom home where I paid a small fortune of 800 a month. It's a quaint house, blue trim with white panaling on the outside. My porch wasnt rather large but yet enough room to lounge and watch the others pass by my street. Our roads werent dirt but paved, each no more than 100 feet in length attaching to crossing streets. Our village is small, no bigger than 10 blocks. 5 blocks worth of homes for those who wish for a quiet life. I was born and raised here in Reckford, and I haven't left since. I do have a city job where I hop on my Bike and drive in for my 12 hour shift. Other than this, I do spend most of my time here with my friends and family. I inherited this house from my ma and pa, they passed away not too long ago. The cemetary sits a few miles up the road from Reckford, much further from the city too. Ma and Pa are buried nearest to the mausoleum, since we couldnt afford to put them in their, it was best to go with those.

I am Calmina, a young woman of 22 working in the city as a Bartender. Its an easy job, but a long one at that. Late at night I crawl into bed after a long shift just to get ready for the next day.

Today I was late for work, missing the time my best friend Reynold was to get back from the C.E Corp experiment testing. I did hope he would come back safe and sound and with a heafty check for his cooporation, just so we could celebrate his return in style. Sadly  I could not be home for him to return so catching the late bug to work got me a little spooked. It was darker than usual cause I head over when the sunset is high this season. The fall winds picked up this time of the night, I checked my watch. Digital with the different time zones all around told me it was 7 pm, barely making the first shift clock in. I was head of my full waiting staff at the Barneb's joint, most of them are brandnew adults and dont know how to serve party wings to a table. My engine roared as I zoomed down the two lane road leading into the city, my bar sat on the edge of town at the end of the road stretch. I pulled out my keys and unlocked the fornt door, the rest of my staff were sitting out in front freezing their butts off. "Eh! whats your prob, we have been out here for 45 minutes." One of the young men spoke up with his irritated tone, my trouble maker of the group. I sniffled and replied, "Shut it Ken, youre still getting paid," I knew this was a lie, they were only clocked for their hours once they punched in. my comment shut Ken up but I could hear the girls giggle and point fingers at me, cause I got the key stuck. A quick shove and the door flew open and slammed against the wall.

Hunter Phoenix

I coughed fitfully as I strode down the street. The smog that was being kicked out by the factory on the outskirts of the town was atrocious and was making my asthma act up. Digging into one of my many pockets I produced my inhaler and took two deep puffs on it and kept on going on my way.

I eventually reached my destination, the local bar, and stepped inside. I had a job interview for the position of bar man and I needed the work badly. Apparently the previous bar man had suddenly decided to up sticks and go into the mysterious factory to take part in the experiment that had been mentioned when the factory had first been set up. No one had seen him since. I pushed the door open and took in a breath of fresher air, even though the air in the bar was stale and awash with the stench of alcohol and peanuts, it was a lot healthier than that persistent smog outside.

I spotted the manager temporarily manning the bar and walked over to him. I waved him over once he had finished serving a drink to a man who looked like he was one drink away from liver failure

"I'm here about the bar job"

The manager looked me up and down and then nodded

"You got any experience?"

I nodded to the man, I had worked in bars before and so I knew what I was doing when it came to pulling pints and taking care of troublesome customers. He considered me for a moment and then held out a hand

""You'll do, welcome aboard, you can start right away, make sure there isn't any trouble, last call is at 1am, any problems, give me a shout, I'll be in the back"

With that, he stepped out from behind the bar and disappeared through a door into the back of the place, leaving me in charge of the bar. Stepping around, I saw that there was a price list for drinks as well as a cop's truncheon in case there was a scuffle and people needed a little incentive to leave. I sighed and stood silently, waiting for customers to come and order their poison of the night.
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

chanellelynn

Calmina huffed as she heaved a crate full with glasses for the bar. The rag on her shoulder only served one purpose at this point of the night, her title. Being the head of a waiting staff meant she had to take the grunt work if anyone was missing, and tonight her no-good busboy ducked work. Carrying the crate to the bar she spotted a new face, he stood quietly as the rest of us slowly opened the bar. Looking over her shoulder she nodded at Ken, her head bartender.
"You hired the new kid?" She asked, curious as to his presence.
Ken sniffled a little as he chewed on some cud, nasty habit of tobacco that she never liked about him.
"Yah, it was either him or hire Daisy Mae," Ken smiled at Calmina, mocking her disgusted look.
"Guess you're right, that's the last thing we need, the bosses daughter." She scooted the crate over to the new kid, with a hand on her hip she smiled and set the rag down atop the counter.

"Hey, I need these put away." Calmina looked the kid up and down, he was young like her, but had an air of experience. "Im Calmina, besides Ken, im also second in command so if you need something just holler. My wait staff will fill you in with anything else." She gave him a quick smile before turning around and into the seating area. The bar wasnt large but it was decently sized to house 100 people. The stage was small and sat in the far corner down into a sunken room with some bar games. Calmina's girls were setting the chairs up and placing napkins around, without them she'd be swamped with duties and never get anything done within the hour of pre-opening.

Hunter Phoenix

I jumped a little when I heard the tinkle of glasses and a voice talking to me, I turned to see a woman no older than myself with a rag on her shoulder and a crate of glasses in front of her, no doubt for the bar

"Hey there, thanks, I'm called Hunter, I'll bear it in mind if I have any questions, thank you"

I took to crate of glasses off her hands and started putting them in the little area behind the bar where I could pull one up when someone ordered a drink.

"Where is the door to the barrel room in case I need to change the barrels for any of the beers?"

When it came to asking questions, I wouldn't ask about someone personally until I had been here for at least a couple of days, for now I wanted to keep the questions strictly to the job at hand. I always felt a little awkward talking to new people at first, but I usually opened up with time, the only people I could talk to with no problem were customers.

chanellelynn

Calmina Looked over her shoulder noticing the young man was straight forward, something she liked in a worker.
"To your right through the back room, we keep an extra barrel each every night. Trust me, you wont be needing it." With a smirk she turned back around and began setting chairs down, each one rickety and old. She checked her watch, it was a quarter to 8 and her chef hadnt shown up. Disappointed she stood quietly huffing, wishing it was any other day than today. Calmina knew why people were ditching work, and she wished she could have to if it werent for the schedule. "Damnit," she muttered, placing both hands atop the table.

After a minute of silence within her head Calmina scooped up another chair and sat it down while promptly taking a seat. Her waitstaff had it covered, most of them chatting away as a few people waited outside for a drink. Calmina looked around, her arms folded on the chairs head as she sat it in backwards, everything calm and dusty in her midst. Nothing exciting happened here, and she almost hoped nothing would.

Hunter Phoenix

I went about my business checking that everything was ready for the night, the glasses were in place, I went into the back room and checked that all of the barrels were hooked up and then I was stood behind the bar waiting for opening time. It was a quiet enough place and even though he could hear a small number of voices outside, there wasn't what could be called a busy queue, he could tell it was going to be a quiet night before it began, which was a shame because he liked busy nights but then the easy night was a good way for him to get to know one or two people, strike up some conversations and get into the role of barman easier. He looked over to Calmina

"So how many do you think will be in tonight?"

This was just small talk of course, but he didn't really know what else to say.

chanellelynn

She rested her chin upon her arms, looking over at Hunter she replied, "Decent amount, the factories letting most of the folk come home today. In fact, I expect a lot of them to head straight here, most of them didnt have anyone to come home to." She wouldn't expect him to know, but Reckford being a small town she knew many of the workers families. Before the factory was established her town was promised access to the citie's hospital, but once Reckford was refused many people died of illness. They were shut off for being so small, but the factory showed hope for those who had none, and they would come straight here, after having no one to hug and kiss at night.

Calmina unlocked the doors to the bar once 8pm rolled by, slowly she took each persons ID and checked it. Regular faces, normal workers like her ending the night with a hard earned drink. She didnt know many of them but some were her neighbors and friends. Throughout working at the bar she knew each persons drink and story, ones told over and over again without stopping. Calmina never noticed it before, as she checked ID's, but her life replayed each day as if it was groundhogs day.

The line stopped after 10 people, allowing her to rest against the door frame. Music from the jukebox played, something soft and upbeat from the late 70's. She knew they needed a better selection but no one ever complained, unless someone was singing to it, badly. The street was crawling with dust as each car drove by, the long stretch  leading towards the industry buildings. Lined by the city line, she could barely make out the hospitals cross, its red-struck sign that clearly read, you're not welcome. In her mind no one was to be helped by the city unless they owned you, and they knew Reckford wasn't theirs. Calmina had never visited the city, hell, she didn't even bother learning its name. All Calmina knew was that if the police stepped foot in her town they'd have to face her.

((Just realized I switched back into 3rd person, opps. Ill try to remember to go back to what I WAS doing haha.))

Hunter Phoenix

(OOC: Not to worry, normally I use third person when RPing, I only did first because you were doing it haha)

I listened to the sad story of most of the towns folk, it was a shame really that this sort of thing had happened to them, losing their families and in all likeliness their livelihoods as well in the process, it was a shame. But they were continuing and surviving and that was the main thing.

As the punters filed in, ready to quench their thirst, I picked up the first glass and waited for the orders to come on in. I managed to keep up with the sudden rush, taking peoples orders and then their money when they handed it over, giving them the correct change and then sighing a breath of relief when the last person went and sat down. I had been nervous for sure, but now I felt like I could tackle the people as they came in ordering their drinks for the evening. This was going to be a breeze.

As each person came up for a refill, I tried to talk to them, to get a conversation started, but they were only interested in getting their drink and their change and then going back down and slowly becoming more intoxicated as the night wore on. This didn't bother me that much, I was used to being ignored.

chanellelynn

Setting down a rack of ribs on a table, I sighed at the sight of how many customers there were tonight. Running a bar wasnt hard but it was indeed a task for many people, many whom were missing and was still pissing me off. "Im going to kill Joe," I muttered to myself, cursing out my missing chef and the amount of chaos it was to order my staff to replace him. "Enjoy your food m'aam," I smiled at a young woman enjoying the new night.

The night went by without a hitch for the next few hours, a few people getting ahead of themselves happened to cause a ruckus leaving the bar. 10 pm slipped by when I realized the new faces in the bar were actually old friends. So many people had come home this evening to break my gaze from tunnel vision to enthralled and excited. Quickly jumping at the hype I started gathering up my buddies, saying "Hi," to each and everyone of them.
The night air felt great against my skin, I stood against the bar door once 11 pm rolled by, many of our customers taking care of themselves and the new kid was doing especially well that I didnt need to stay inside for too long. Watching the cars go by, wishing I could follow them and see what I was missing. This life wasnt the best, I knew that, but their life wasnt that much better though. How could anyone live in the city? This bar was the only attachment she had to this horrible corruption that C.E created. I spat on the ground in anger, so much built up inside of me that i was ready for revenge. If I could see my best friend, I could find out what was going on with this company finally.

Hunter Phoenix

I managed to keep up with the demand for alcohol relatively easy as the time rolled by, Calmina mingled with the locals, catching up with one or two them, I paid no mind, instead keeping his attention on my job, changing barrels with efficiency when they needed changing, which wasn't often and making sure to keep up when people demanded another drink.

With the exception of one or two people getting a little raucous in their activities, people minded their own business and talked like civilized people while they drank, catching up, complaining about the state the town had fallen into since the Company had put that massive monstrosity outside of it, people disappearing, that kind of thing. I caught one or two snippets of gossip, but other than that, it was hard to hear what people were saying.

Eventually, it was time for last orders, so I called out "Last call" to which several people came up and got one final round in, then while people were working their way down their final drink for the night, I tidied up the bar, wiping the counter down and putting the glasses in their case so that they could be taken back stage to be cleaned for the next nights patrons. Once I was done with the cleaning of the bar, I leaned against the customer side of it and stifled a yawn, I was getting tired. Looking at my watch I saw that the time was close to 2am. The time had flown by, which was surprising, I half expected it to drag with it being my first night, and the town had seemed to quiet as well, I thought we would have had half of the customers we had. It was almost like they had come out of the woodwork at the promise of a drop of alcohol.

chanellelynn

Looking over at the new kid I smiled, he made it through without help tonight and I was grateful. There had been many barhands during my time there that didnt seem to cut it, either too stupid or too qualified for this position. I knew he had to have a good background in small time bars, able to tell it in his eyes as he shifted from one task to another.
"Youre quiet," I contested, my inner being sparked to get him into a conversation. "The locals like you but youre quiet. The one thing thats going to get you far here is speech." I grabbed the drink in my hand and gulped it down, the hard whiskey spoke to my throat with a fiery passion and sizzled as I cracked my neck.
The clock struck 2 am with two dings, their night was through and the bar was clean for another day. The waitstaff had left but I needed to lock up after Hunter finished his cleaning, the bar looked emaculate from my point of view but every bar hand cleaned differently.

Hunter Phoenix

I chuckled when Calmina walked over and told me that I was quiet

"I'm used to just serving drinks and then moving on, small town pubs are something that I haven't really worked in before, so I aren't used to having a customer around long enough to talk with them, but it's something I shall work on, thanks for pointing it out"

I stretched to work the tiredness out of my shoulders. Checking the bar one more time, I was satisfied with the way it looked so I didn't need to go through anything again to make sure it was ready for the next shift. I watched as Calmina downed a whiskey in one go and was impressed

"I haven't come across many people that can down drinks like that and not gag a little bit on the bite back"

I thought for a moment, I had been in the town for a few weeks now and knew the story of the factory, but I didn't know a whole lot about the town itself

"So what do you guys do for fun around here? It seems quiet most of the time"

chanellelynn

"hah," I chuckled, his observation amused me. "I should be drinking more, but alas the law wouldnt like me murdering people now would they?" I tipped my shot at him with a smile knowing it was true, I wished I could drink more. His question stirred the whiskey inside of me the wrong way, the reminder of what we did for fun didnt bring a good memory in mind. I got up off the stool and walked behind the bar to wash the glass, turning on the sink I began to speak.

"Come to the bar, mostly just to unwind and count down until our loved ones come home. Sometimes there's a gathering, but recently its been for funerals and not birthdays.." My breath became unsettled as my sentence came to a close. The glass was clean as I set it upside down under the bar, with a smile I turned to Hunter and shook the keys in my hand. "Time to go, maybe things will start looking up now that most of the people are back." I was referring to the factory of course, knowing full well most of them had to have come home in desperate need of a drink.

I watched as Hunter followed me out and locked up the bar. All of the lights and doors were locked as I  padlocked the front door. "I guess Ill see you later, you'll get the hang of our crowd soon enough. Until then, just relax and find a good place to settle down." I pulled down my helmet and sat ontop of my bike, its large frame hugged me as I straddled it and placed my feet in the starting position.

Hunter Phoenix

As soon as I asked the question I knew that I had struck a nerve and had the decency to flinch a little when she mentioned funerals. Obviously something was happening that was causing a lot of families to lose members, I wondered what it was but decided not to ask.

"Alcohol is always a good way to unwind, provided you don't get too carried away"

I threw a wink her way and followed her outside, waiting as she locked up. She then went over to her bike. When she mentioned finding somewhere to settle down, I had to shrug

"I'm currently thinking of staying in the hotel, don't know if any places are on the market around here, will certainly have to look into it though. Seems to be a nice place to live, with the exception of the eye sore of course"

I pointed to the factory.

chanellelynn

I nodded, his choice was his own and felt unneeded to offer him any other. After hooking my helmet, I sighed quietly and stared down the road to my home. With a kick I started the bike with a loud bang, it revved and hummed between my legs.
"Ill catch you later, sleep well." I took off quickly on the bike as it picked up dirt furiously. The night was dark and the stars were covered by the thin film of smoke. The bike turned urgently as I swerved into Reckford, the rumbling was loud enough to wake the dead. My house laid quiet as I turned the bike off and pulled into my driveway. I could tell that the neighbor children had played on my lawn from its few grass patches being pulled up. With a smile, I turned my key into the door and unlocked it to enter the house. I threw the keys to my left in hopes to hit the bowl accurately, as the clank of glass never came I sighed and leaned over to pick them up. I rustled through what happened to be loose magazines on the floor before finding my keys.
With a sigh, I placed the keys in their dish and walked sleepily to my bedroom where the door slammed behind me without care. Smiling I fell upon my bed with a bounce, clothing still dirty from the ride but I didnt care.
My body lulled into a sleep coma within a minute, the only great thing she could think of in the last year that has brought peace.

Hunter Phoenix

I watched as the bike sped off, smiling a little as a trail of kicked up dirt hung in the air. I wondered where the nearest hotel was, being in town for a while now, I should have known this, but since I had been in and out all the time trying to sort a job out, I had mostly squatted in houses that had been empty. I decided to see if one of the places was still empty, what with all of the people coming into town suddenly, maybe there had been someone come home and taken up their residency once more.

Upon arrival I was dismayed to find that the lights were indeed on, a clear indicator that the home owner was in the building. I shrugged and thought for a couple of minutes. It wouldn't do to be walking around all night, especially if there was a police patrol around and they stopped to ask who I was. Not having any ID, it would be a little hard to explain what I was doing prowling the streets at this time in the morning.

I headed back the way I came and then headed in the direction that Calmina had taken, in case there were any motels or hotels in the area that I could stay in.

After ten minutes of walking, I came across what looked like a small time hotel. Walking through the front door, I strode up to the counter and rang the little bell because no one was stood or sat at the counter at the time. Within the minute a woman came walking through, a big smile on her face.

"Good evening, how can I help you young man?"

I smiled back to her

"I would like a room for the night please, how much are they?"

I had a small amount of money in my pocket, so I could hopefully afford a room for the night

"A basic room is thirty dollars per night. I can show you one if you wish to see one for yourself?"

I nodded and she led me to one of the ground floor rooms, unlocking it with a key that appeared from nowhere, she must have picked it up as she stepped out from behind the counter. Opening the door, she stood to the side for me to step in and have a look. The room was indeed basic, with a lonely single bed in one corner, a sink and grubby little mirror in the other, a door leading through to the bathroom, which upon closer inspection had a shower and a toilet in it. Bare essentials that would definitely do.

"This is perfect, I shall take it please"

With that the lady took me back to the counter and had me sign in and pay the fee in advance, then she handed me a key and bade me good night. Then she disappeared back through the way she had come to the counter and I headed to my room.

I locked the door behind me, stripped down to my underwear and climbed into bed, fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.