Thinking about a forum RPG.

Started by SixAxes, June 08, 2012, 07:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixAxes

Good morning all!

Today I was thinking about something myself and some friends had done a long time ago. We had been trying to learn DnD at one point but due to none of us being very good at learning new things without someone else to help us out a little at the time we'd given up on the game and instead thought to ourselves "Well, if we can't play that one, why not make up our own?" and so we spent hours upon hours on brainstorming until we finally had an idea of starting up a small little forum for ourselves and anyone else who wished to join. We had created ourselves a basic RPG, with stats, classes, skills and several different story lines, interaction between players themselves was usually kept to a minimum just to allow players to move at a slow or fast paced not being bottle necked by a slower player or being pushed by the faster repliers.

So that's about it on the back story, and this is 4 years onwards. I'm making this post to collect information on whether people would be interested in joining an RPG. Myself as a GM, with you guys being players and providing feedback for what you think could be improved. If there is any interest, I'll go ahead and start work on the system and how things will work, how some story lines would progress etc. If people wanted a separate storyline telling experience where they could play fast or slow I could work on having separate story lines within the same world for each player, or if people were more inclined to work in groups of 2-4 people at a time, I could work on that too. I guess the beauty of a forum RPG is that you can change things on the fly.

Anyway guys, if you've read this post, thank you very much and just drop me a post in here if anybody is actually interested or has any questions or even input as to what they'd like to see.

Cheers,
SixAxes.

Nameless One

I'm interested. I'm awaiting approval and it would be fun to have something to do in the meanwhile.

Could you please explain setting, character options and so on? Thanks.
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

SixAxes

Sorry, I'd thought I'd already replied to your post, Nameless.

It would be a basic fantasy setting, you know, elves, demons, orcs and the lot.
The playable races would be humans, elves, dwarves, halflings and ephilim.
The leveling system would be fairly straightforward and there would be no predetermined class but you'd have a set amount of points you could spend on your character creation to choose some basic equipment and from there onwards you could choose your stat bonuses at level up. Leveling would be kept to basics, with all races leveling at the same rate, except for Ephilim, who start off more powerful, but are slower to level.

I will be using a dice system, for this to determine damage and and success of some situations.

If people really wanted to have their own unique races, I'm sure I could even work that in providing they given me a quick outline of their traits, strengths, weaknesses and I could work stats out suitably.

Nameless One

What is an "Ephilim"? Something like a nephilim?

Anyway, I'll probably play a human. A healer, with some fighting skills. Unless dakabn is thinking about a similar character, in that case I'll play something else...  :-)
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

SixAxes

I did actually mean Nephilim, oops. Thanks for pointing that out, a long day at work paired with trying to use words really doesn't work well.

:) Yeah, you could play as whatever you'd like and I'll be getting around to writing stuff up tonight. Would you like to play solo-based or a multiplayer type of way?

Nameless One

I was hoping to play in some kind of adventuring party. With someone to tank for me, while I take care of the wounded and the sick. A solo healer is SO doomed... :P

Ons and Offs

SixAxes

hahaha, I should've added the solo thing would have NPC tanks and such, it'd just be made to move at your own pace (say someone didn't reply in a multiplayer one, nobody else could move forward, where as in a solo one, that problem is removed) :P

Occident

What would the climate in the game be like?

SixAxes

It'd mostly climate based on something similar to a European area, aimed at cold winters, and barely-hot summers. You'd be looking at forested lands and grassy fields. Beyond the normal forces of nature, supernatural sources will affect the climate and land, too. (Think muggy poisonous swamps or arid fields)

Occident

Hmmm. Something with bog bodies might be interesting. How large would the world be? Travel wise and all that.

SixAxes

Fairly large, 3,000,000 sq miles, give or take.. So we're probably looking at continental scale. 
Traveling would be done via cart, walking and possibly the use of magic, both cast by players and NPCs.

Occident

Alright, I can try to offer historical parallels and cultural ideas during the planning stage of this.

SixAxes

Oh, sweet. :D Any help is appreciated of course. :D

Occident

I would need to wait for my approval to this site to give full assistance, though we can probably start with small things, if you wish to speak in this thread on the matter.

SixAxes

That's true. Making posts is sure to help you along though if the mentors choose to approve you, though.. :)

Currently I'm working on the fighting system, just so I can get an idea on formulas and whatnot, and after that I'm pretty free open to suggestions on what I should look at for world building in finer detail other than forests, fields and anomalies. hahaha

Occident

Alright. I will have a go at the differing belief systems and morality, should I be passed.

SixAxes

Yeah, okies. Good luck on your approval process, by the way. :P