Angelscroll Academy- Fantasy, adventure, school life(?), maybe exotic NC [Full]

Started by Koyume, June 04, 2012, 02:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargtass

Unless he of course is a failure. Perhaps he was one of her earlier experiments into the arts of the warlock.

So far I am pretty happy with your thoughts, you all obviously like being suspicious people who in some way can be connected to the Great Tyrant.  ;D
O/O

Arioch

Actually, that could fall into some Tynissa did. She might have made an attempt to summon something else, was prepared for it and got that instead.

Caela

Looking things over, this game looks like a lot of fun! I'll work up a character sheet and see what y'all think of it. :)

Caela

The other characters written up seem to be a bit dark and suspicious, with the ability to swing toward either good or evil...thought it might make a nice contrast to make a character firmly allied to one side. She can easily be tweaked if she doesn't work for the story, just let me know. Oh if the anime pictures are preferred I can find one, I tend to use rl models and actresses just out of personal preference.

Name: Lyra
Race: Shapeshifter

Background: Born in Angelscroll, Lyra remembers nothing but a life under siege. Her life has always been restricted by the army outside the gates of their small part of the world. Both of her parents, however, could remember the world before the Tyrant and her childhood fairy tales consisted of stories of such a world, of a world where they could travel freely, could leave Angelscroll and hunt the forests and mountains around it...a world that wasn't perfect, but that was better than the one they now had. They used their stories to fill their daughter with hope for the future and to teach her right from wrong.

As a child she didn't really know she was any different from the other human children around her. She looked like them when she ran through the city streets, played their games, spoke their language, learned the same lessons they did, aged as they did...until her 25th year. Her parents had actually hoped she had been born without her mother's gift/curse but when she was 25 they found, the hard way, that she hadn't escaped after all.

Wandering the city at night she rounded a corner and stumbled into a group of drunken louts out seeking trouble who decided that "playing" with the pretty girl out for a walk would be fun. Trapped between them, fearing for her safety and her life, adrenaline and a host of hormones flared through her body and without thought, between being groped by one young man, having her clothing torn, and shoved to next she simply changed. There was no cracking of bones, no cries of pain, just a flash of anger and fear through her brain and suddenly where the girl had been there was a large black dog, it's lips pulled back, fangs bared, and a low, menacing growl filling it's throat.

Terrified by the sudden change the drunks ran off into the night leaving a confused Lyra stuck in a shape she wasn't sure how she had attained...or how to change out of!

The next 150 years saw her, under the tutelage of her mother who was also a Shifter, learning how to control her changes. Learning how to change at will, change back, choose her shapes at will and based on need and desire, not just on fear. When her Mother had nothing else to teach her, she applied to the academy to have her daughter trained even further there. She knew that Lyra would be able to learn more about what she was, and what she was capable of, inside the walls of the academy with all their books and knowledge, now that she had nothing left to teach her.

Personality: Lyra is a sweet, thoughtful, intelligent girl. She also has a wicked sense of humor and an appreciation for the subtle use of sarcasm. She treats people with respect and basic courtesy until they prove they don't deserve it and trusts easily, though once her trust is lost it is nearly impossible to truly regain. Many people don't realize that under the sweet demeanor there is also a wicked temper. She doesn't rant or rave, she waits, bides her time, and takes her vengeance only when those who earn her ire are no longer expecting it.

Abilities & Skills: Her chief ability is in changing her shape. If she's seen a creature she can become it. The exception being other sentient being. She could change her own looks if she wanted to (changing hair and eye color, subtle changes in facial structure etc.) but she can't make herself look like a replica of someone else.

Mundane skills include a beautiful singing voice, an ability to play the harp as if it were a part of her soul, she's an excellent cook and she's had decades to perfect her needlepoint (a skill she found useless when her mother first started making her learn but that she now finds a wonderful means of relaxing because she's reached the point where she can sew almost anything without really thinking about it.)

Strength/Weakness: She's stronger than she appears though not quite as strong as a fully grown man. She also has great skill with a bow and sword courtesy of lessons from her father who was a soldier.

Weaknesses include the fact that she can be far too trusting of other people and the fact that she lacks an affinity for most magic beyond her ability to change her shape. She can cast spells but the energy needed to do so can leave her anywhere from slightly dizzy to unconscious depending on the complexity and power of the spell.

Quote: All knowledge is worth having.

**With her ability to change shapes she'd make an excellent little spy. She could, literally, be the fly on the wall! lol**

FragarachZ

Quote from: Vaulera on June 06, 2012, 07:06:31 PM
I am against that for a few reasons, foremost among them is that Adrienna wouldn't summon a half demon, only full demons, something that lives in a different plane and secondly, most of the monster I would want her to summon wouldn't be there permanently, just renewable, making your character drop in and out of the roleplay with frequency.

Sure thing. I came up with another concept if the half-demon idea seems unpopular. I'll post my char tonight.
O&O

Roxy Rocket

So here I am thinking over a magician that deals in summoning strange creatures and bingo bango bongo I turn my back and there's a waiting line for that concept.

Oh well. Maybe I should submit something with a twist like a teacher.

What kind of fantasy backgrounds do people have? I'm smelling a lot of dungeons and dragons. I was hoping the Diablo 3 crowd had taken a breather to engage in some potentially smutty role play.

FragarachZ

Ok, how about this?

Name: Tess Hillsbury
Race: Human

Background: Tess was born as second daughter of a lesser noble house. At a young age she was given to Lord Hafgan, the High Priest of the god of war who teaches at the academy, because of her rebellious and impulsive personality. Hafgan disciplined her and made her into a priestess of the war god... what is more, she showed an affinity in receiving her deity's blessings and channeling his power. She grew up according to the teachings of the lord of conflict, and is a devoted servant and warrior-priestess. As part of her initiation to the shield-maiden order, she was volunteered into the expedition group to the catacombs below the academy.

Personality: Tess is a collected, calm personality - nothing like her younger self. Ironically she found peace in the teachings of war, and accepted the truths within: the constant struggle for survival is what keeps people strong. Without challenges to overcome, they would corrupt and rot away in peace. However, this understanding doesn't make her crave battle: the true understanding of war and conflict comes with the knowledge of when it is necessary to fight, and when it should be avoided. When it comes down to steel and spells however, she becomes wild and merciless, like the calm sea during storms.
She offers her sword arm and her ability to call on her deity's blessings to the group of explorers to help them overcome their challenge.

Abilities & Skills:  She has an athletic figure, but is far from as strong as a trained soldier: half of her training was spent on studying and meditation, the other on physical education. Her studies allow her to recognize otherworldly creatures and phenomena, and with the necessary materials and time she could dispel most of these. She can also petition her god to heal the physical wounds of herself or her allies, but this ability has its limits, as contact with a powerful supernatural being is taxing on her spirit.

Strength/Weakness:  Tess is a vessel of her gods might and her physical strength and endurance are reinforced to match that of the hardiest of soldiers. Her prayers in battle are also answered, and probability seems to warp around her: attacks that were meant to hit her are deflected, and her blade finds an opening in enemies defenses more often. As a side effect of this, her presence can increase the morale of her allies. That said, all of her exceptional abilities are of divine nature, and are only as powerful as her faith and conviction. Should she doubt herself in a critical situation, her abilities could falter, leaving her only an ordinary woman against whatever dangers she faces.[/b]

Quote:  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
O&O

Roxy Rocket

(removed for now)

Koyume

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on June 07, 2012, 04:47:27 AM
What kind of fantasy backgrounds do people have? I'm smelling a lot of dungeons and dragons. I was hoping the Diablo 3 crowd had taken a breather to engage in some potentially smutty role play.

I'm a long time D&D player, but I basically grew up on fantasy of all kinds. I've played through Diablo 3, and also its predecessors. I'm a big fan of anime and video games from The Witcher to the Final Fantasy games to the Legacy of Kain series. I'm also a big fan of Touhou Project, and recently, the MLP:FiM universe.

I've read a lot of sword & sorcery and other fantasy novels too, from the Drizzt books to A Song of Ice and Fire and many others.

Wargtass

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on June 07, 2012, 04:47:27 AM

Sadly no Diablo 3. Have heard too many bad things to throw away my money on it. As for my fantasy background it starts with the swedish Drakar & Demoner, goes through 2nd-4th edition DnD, through some other swedish stuff such as Eon, then back around to Pathfinder. I am pretty much the old school roleplayer, have been since who knows when. The "European Model" of roleplay is more aimed towards character driven action and actual role-play while the "American Model" is more the typical DnD-session... which is utter bull, but that's what was cramed into our heads back in the 90's over here. As such I only played DnD.2 before I reached my senses and started sampling other american games. Boy was I mad at whoever made up that model-bullshit!

As for fantasy in general I don't like it, and when I do, I like it real gritty and dark. Fantasy in general is a hard thing for me to appreciate. I had to really try hard to make it through the three LotR-books when the movies were about to get started and pretty much anything by Hobb makes me puke fantasy-colored candy all over. Thus far the only fantasy-novels I have really appreciated were the SoDaI-series and Discworld-series (the ones following Samuel Vimes have an especially gritty tone to its satire).

In games I am not much different. Dragon Age 2 came as a real surprise to me, especially since I never liked the first one. The Elder Scrolls I think have reached its peak in Skyrim and it's lowest with Oblivion, with a good game in Morrowind. Otherwise fantasy-games just doesn't do anything for me. Diablo 2 is a fun one with a bunch of friends, but that's about it.

On the table top battlefields however, I have found quite a few really good fantasy settings. The Warhammer Fantasy and Confrontation games are especially rich in background and grittyness. Good times!

I generally stay away from anime and manga, their fantasy epics tend to be very epic indeed. Can't really say I have found anything I particularly like around those parts.

And that's about it for my fantasy background! I am more of a SciFi/Horror buff, but I greatly enjoy GMing the occasional gritty fantasy. But expect some really visceral scenes down the catacombs now and then with some subtle horror elements crammed into that fantasy of yours!

On another point, I kinda feel we have an overabundance of magic users. Like... enough magic users.
O/O

Arioch

My background started with 1st ed AD&D and then moved into 2nd ed. However, I have also ventured in Role Master and Palladium.  I've even gone into Gurps and helped play test a game that may get released in a few years (if it can work out the kinks).  Warhammer fantasy, the miniature game, was a blast, but, I hated that it got updated every couple years. I liked running chaos and by the time the compendium would come out, a new edition would be coming out.

Since there are so many spell casters, and there is one that is similar in abilities to mine, I am going to think about a different character idea. That doesn't mean I will come up with one, but, we'll see.

Roxy Rocket

Okay, based on those responses and the other characters I think I'll withdraw. I don't think we're going to be overlapping on much here.

Arioch

Roxy,  I think you have a good character idea and shouldn't withdraw.  Your character has an interesting personality and I think it would make a fun character to watch.

Ironwolf85

Wartass made me want to opt for a Shoray
I'm in the mood to use a custom race that, when you look at them on the surface, look like they'd make you puke rainbows. they look like slightly fluffy sheeplike humanoids, they have a musicans nack, and would be best understood by listening to the "provincal town" song from beauty and the beast.

But once you scratch the surface the Shoray are terrifying, Shoray villages have a group subconsious which while it doesn't force them, it nudges them to naturally stay "in groove" with the rest of the town even the muggers and thieves are part of that group subconsious. When threatened or whipped up into a war-frenzy by racial leaders and psions called Silvermanes they naturally organize and can lay waste to an entire area simmilar to warhammer orcs going on a WAAAGH. though the conditions that cause them to "sing of war" is diffrent, and they are far more organized, the principal is the same.

they were inspired by a sci-fi short storyabout a man going to a future amish/mideval style paradise where everything was perfect and peaceful, but the locals would go ruthlessly psychotic at night and eliminate any threats to their paradise, then not remember and go on living their happy lives.
the same 4'3 "knights" that at a joust threw flowers at each other instead of using lances and who had rained with but never used a sword, tried to ride him down him with lances their day selves didn't even know existed.

anyways I had the idea of a shoray silvermane joining the acadamy, and thank you Wargtass for reminding me of them.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Wargtass

Sounds like the Shoray needs a ghetto of their own in Angelscroll. But I like the idea.
O/O

Ironwolf85

and here I thought you'd laugh.
well you would laugh at them when you first saw the fluffy cute sheep people singing and moving almost as if coreographed in tune as they worked, being all cheery, happy, and productive.

hearing them switch to a more rapid, booming, militaristic tune producing weapons and armor, or watching twelve of them stab a troll to death in perfect rythem to keep the blows coming like notes of music, might be more scary.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Ironwolf85

No pics fit the Shoray.

Name: Amato Andrea Angelo
Race: Shoray

Appearance 4'5 he resembles a little cute puffy ram man at first glance. first glance is all you get. leaving aside the muscle that is hidden by fur, his arms and chest are scarred including a gash up his right arm, usually carrying a cleaver like blade as tall as he is if not slightly more so. His small horns spiral and are not useful for combat, his hair is unkempt, curly, and silver as the rest of him. he often paints his face with blue warpaint, a cultural tradition in the industiral quarters. lastly Amato is never seen without his greatsword, the one with the wolf's head pommel.

Background: Born in the Shoray slums near the outter walls,  Amato was a toublesome child, as all Silvermanes are when born to normal shoray parents. he often fought, stole, or spent his days working with his father and mother in the great foundries. However he was eventually sent the the academy as all Silvers are. There he showed great potental with sword and martial arts, and there the warpriests tried to hammer him into a warpriest, the combat and tactical teachings took, but the faith part did not. thus his extended training was done dealing with direct combat, using a bit of song magic to back up his skill with a greatsword.
When put up aganst a demon for his final exam it grabbed and melted his training weapon, in the same grapple he bit it's eye and ripped it's leg off, then proceeded to bulgeon and stab it to dath with it's own carapace. When asked why he responded. "demon chitin, harder than steel, and she had clawed toes. decent spear if a bit unwieldy."
he volenteered for the expiditon, to "do some good and do some good instead of standing around."

Personality: Amato is anythin but calm, raised among a passionate and tightly knit community, one who seem uneasy, but stubborn like the goats they resemble. So dispite his size he is a hothead who never cooled down dispite his learning at the academy. Somewhere between berzerking knight and singing psychopath. He loves music with a passion. he goes into combat laughing and singing as the gore splatters and the limbs fly.  He often displays great intelligence and reasoning dispite his normally simple nature, and is an avid reader.

Abilities & Skills: Song and Sword
in additon to being a powerful and fast dispite his stature and physique his songs have magicical properties such as causing regeneration of reflecting damage. he also has an encyclopedic knowlage of materals and weapons and anatomy

Strength/Weakness: dispite his size he has amazing strengh which is more mind over matter than just muscle, and combined with his training in weapons he is a truely deadly combatant. His experences do not lend themselves towards traditional magic, and it is against that that he comes up wanting. he doesn't understand magic, he knows what a mage bolt or fireball is, but cannot use magic save for potions and songs.

Quote: "pointy end does not just go into the other guy, it goes beneath the left arm joint, evecerating everything in the way, then you pull hard right and the head comes right off."

Ironwolf85

uhhhhh...  NO,,, that is why I usually hesitate to ask to play one, I'll make amother character

Drake Valentine

Still working on mine. v.v I been jumping everywhere in the character template. But all I need now is personalities and background and that should be it... I think... *Looks back at template.* Should be it.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Belisuavious

If this is still open, I'd like to submit a character.

Name: Liam Graeson
Race: Human

Background:
Born the son of a soldier, Liam had expected to grow up in the ranks of the guards who kept Angelscroll safe from the Great Tyrant. So he worked hard at his lessons, learning to fight with spear, sword and axe. What h hadn't counted on was catching the eye of one of the Acadamy's sword mistresses when he was 12, who had been observing the practice session of the next generation of guards. When practice was done, he and a handful of other students were brought to her quarters. They were given a practice sword, and told to to fight. A little confused at first, the began.

Liam managed to hold his ground despite having to face a number of non-humans, like elves, dwarves and even a young half-demon. Somehow, he held his ground. he didn't know exactly how he managed to do this, since even today that fight seemed like a half remembered dream, but he was one of the least three standing, along with a pair of elven sisters, who began attacking him. However, the Sword mistress called a halt, and informed the stunned trio that she would be taking person charge of their martial education.

In the seven years since, Liam has only grown in skill, favoring a lighter bastard sword as his main weapon, though he has no small talent in the use of other weapons, like dagger fighting, fencing or the great clash of Zweihanders. He has taken part in battles every year since he was 16
and big enough to fill out a spare suit of mail armour.

Personality: Liam is a very straightforward individual, often taking the direct route to his problems. Of course, this doesn't mean he is incapable of deep thought, any ideas that he didn't need to think were beaten out of him by his Mistress. He simply preferred not to.

Abilities & Skills: After being trained by one of the sword mistresses of the Academy, Liam is one of the best human swordsmen in Angelscroll, possessing skill in every form of bladed combat. He has incredible (for a human) endurance, as a result of long hours of training and trying to keep up with the three elves (The Mistress and the sisters), as well as strong arms, shoulders and wrists from his weapons practice. 

Strength/Weakness: He is relatively inexperienced at dueling, which he perceives to be the height of his abilities, having only taken part in the massive scrums of a battle, where he never struck the same foe more than twice. He also has nearly no magical ability, or knowledge of anything other than swordfighting beyond a very basic grasp.
tl;dr: He is inexperienced in 1-1 fights and can't do much besides fight. 

Quote: Talk is cheap

Wargtass

And now I want to see Rob Roy! Great character though. Will be looking forward to challenging him to duels all the time...  :P
O/O

Vaulera

Please dear god, change his name lol! did you name him liam on purpose?

Drake Valentine

Name:
Kuro & Minx
Appears in their twenties. (Actual age is unknown, though it is believed they been haunting the catacombs for as long as it had been there.) 
Race:
Bakenekos
Background:
The fable ghost kitties,  there has been rumors of such things at the Academy; in the past some senior students used stories regarding such as a means to scare the younger ones or tales the teachers may of once passed on. It is hard to say where the stories always include ‘Kuro’ and ‘Minx,’ no doubt they may of popped up in variations, although the majority of the tales did rise on facts in regards to the bakenekos themselves from what surviving teachers had witness and not just on Kuro and Minx.

The duo of felines were never formally aligned with the academy, like most monstrous creatures they lived in the catacombs with the rest of various monstrosities and evil fiends. They played tricks on poor adventurers, killed and even eaten students in the past. Their fondest of memories(before their affiliation change) was turning adventurers into zombies, and basking in the amusement that followed shortly afterwards of students killing their own.

It wasn’t till a small band of spell casters caught the duo. Necromancy bounded them, an enchantress wished to keep the two ghost kitties as pets. A warlock wished to experiment on them and the Necromancer wanted to control them just as well. Though in the end they all had a turn, allying their desires; but the felines wouldn’t be so easily controlled without a fail safe, thus the magic users created a collar of sorts for the both of them. These rare and enchanted items remains on them even today, limiting the males spiritual capabilities by always forcing them to revert to a physical form once they reach a certain peak of magical essence.

Even as they outlived their captors, they have been more or less imprisoned in this state. The collars are special in their own right as well, spiritual form will not remove them, nor can they be physically or magically tampered with.

From their time of freedom they spent many years spiritually or physically in the catacombs, searching for some relic to free themselves. There has been also few reported incidents through the archives of the school’s history where other adventurers found some strange and sensible humanoids down below; even brought them to the surface(of course these episodes are also distant between one another when the events had taken place, so the majority never realize that it was the same ‘nekos’ being taken to the academy.)

Kuro and Minx are not allies to the Academy, in fact it is more of a mutual interest that they shared. Where the students searched for things to aid them in battle, the bakenekos look for something to free them from the ancestor students that had imprisoned them and their powers. All that potential ghostliness of theirs now wasted due to those blasted collars around their necks; and as a result it has been the death of them on multiple occasions when they were forced into humanoid living form.

Personality:
Kuro
Energetic, carefree, bold, ruthless. Kuro is your typical brute, first to act, last to think out the consequences or possibilities of outcome. He speaks freely and without restraint, you won’t find him sugar coating his words or his intentions in that matter. He doesn’t care who he may offend or who he may go up against, often taking his own ‘immortal’ state for granted and usually being the first to revert back to his spiritual form through some incident or another as a result. He is greedy by a fault and usually predicable with his body language and also highly prone to curiosity. Gullible as well, often finding himself taken advantage or tricked into things by his twin brother, Minx. 

Minx
Solitary, scheming, manipulative, charming, Minx has all the makings of a rogue. Unlike his brother, he would rather cut someone down with words, use his intelligence to get his way out of a sticky situation, or find an alternative solution than the concept of violence. If he can’t, well, he has his brother to do most of the fighting for him or others to fill that place; not to be mistaken that Minx is anything incapable of handling himself, he just chooses to generally avoid it altogether unless it is a last result.

Both of them hate magic users to a fault, Minx won’t admit it but Kuro will.

Abilities & Skills:
All bakeneko abilities in their spiritual forms.

Kuro Humanoid:
Offensive Martial Arts
Destructive Energy Manipulation
Stealth
Acrobatics

Minx Humanoid:
Defensive Martial Arts
Analyzing(Monsters, lock picking, trap detection)
Stealth
Tactics

Strength/Weakness:
Spiritual Form
+Can pass through most objects (Come on they’re ghosts.)
-Magical areas are usually harder to pass through.
+Immunity to physical attacks
-Magic and Exorcism seems effective(but how many monsters will use the latter?)
+Cool Ghostly Mischief
-Can’t really physically interact with most of the world otherwise. (Collar limitation)
Human Form:
+Nothing super impressive beyond they’re skills and abilities.
-Death by anything.

Other Facts:
-Kuro is more athletic and ‘brutish’ whereas Minx is more intelligent and graceful.
-Kuro and Minx cannot 'freely' revert to spiritual or living human forms.
-Kuro and Minx are automatically forced into a living humanoid form when they collect enough energy, willingly or not.
-Kuro and Minx's collar cannot be easily removed, whether physically or magical experimental means.
-When killed in human form they just revert back to their spiritual state. (With a corpse left behind, questionable, debatable.)
-When killed in spirit form they are dead-dead. (As in nonexistence dead. )

Quote:
Kuro: “I wonder what will happen if I press this….”
Minx: “Luckily I am never prone to boredom as I find myself surrounded by stupidity wherever I go.”

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Ironwolf85

shall I create a new character? drop out? keep Amato? what do you guys think