Looking for vacation ideas

Started by WarmFusion, June 03, 2012, 01:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarmFusion

So after a hellacious month/month and a half at work, I need a vacation.  Even my boss told me to takesome time. Normally, I'd shrug it off, but I really need to recharge my batteries, so I've spent the morning online looking for ideas.

Here are my considerations:

I've traveled a bit across the US and to a few other countries, mostly developing countries, but I'm looking to stay in North America, I think.  I've been to all but a handful of US states.  I thought about trying to finish off all 50, but I can't think of a compelling reason to go to those that I haven't.  (I'm not going to mention them in order to keep an open mind.)

I like exploring.  I'll usually spend a week at the beach during the summer, but that's not the kind of vacation I'm looking for here.  I want this to be more of a "bring my camera" kind of week.

I'm looking for something kind-of, well...different. Sort of a hidden gem kind of place that you might not think of as a vacation spot.  Chicago? NYC? Love 'em, but not what I'm looking for here.  Of course, apparently I don't know what I'm looking for, thus this request.

A nice combination of urban and nature would be great.

Safety is important.

I melt above 85F or so, and I'm looking to do this in late summer or early fall.  I've been to Miami in August, and I can't do that again.

Driving or flying is okay, but I live in an area of the Northeast that can be a bit expensive to fly directly in and out of, so it's not a dealbreaker, but a consideration.

Budget is a consideration.  But I like to do and see things, not buy things, so it's easy for me to keep costs down when I travel. I am a bit of a foodie, though, so that'd be something of interest.

Any one have any good ideas they'd be willing to share?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

Beguile's Mistress

Make a list of the things that interest you.  Do you like museums, landmarks, hiking, festivals, local culture, cemeteries?  Google the state name and any or several of those interests and see what turns up.  Check the online Chamber of Commerce sites for the cities you would like to visit or open a map for a city, say Boise, and Google for sights, events, colleges, vacation spots.

Getting creative with Google can turn up gems that you might overlook otherwise.

Good luck witht he search and enjoy your time off when you get to take it. ;D

WarmFusion

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 03, 2012, 01:26:29 PM
Make a list of the things that interest you.  Do you like museums, landmarks, hiking, festivals, local culture, cemeteries?  Google the state name and any or several of those interests and see what turns up.  Check the online Chamber of Commerce sites for the cities you would like to visit or open a map for a city, say Boise, and Google for sights, events, colleges, vacation spots.

Getting creative with Google can turn up gems that you might overlook otherwise.

Good luck witht he search and enjoy your time off when you get to take it. ;D

Thanks, and yes, all those things you listed are interesting to me.  Local history, hiking, kayaking/canoeing, museums... I like to geocache, and that's a great way to explore, too, so I'll always do a bit of that.  I'm pretty good at the research thing, it's just that personal recommendations tend to be more compelling for me. 

It's sortof funny that you mentioned Boise as an example, beacuse Idaho is one of my "never been to" states.  Just never had occassion or reason to travel there.  Perhaps I should look to my list, first!

Beguile's Mistress

Google 'Dworshak Dam' and 'Dams in Idaho' if that sort of thing is of interest to you.  Dworshak is really impressive and there are a lot of other dams in that Washington, Oregon, Idaho area, too.

WarmFusion

Interesting!  I'll probably be out in Portland again this fall for a project I've been on for a few years; perhaps a plane hop and an extended stay are in order!