Oh, man. Tough list, especially since its been a while since I've been able to catch any new anime. Let's see:
5. Lupin, Lupin the 3rd. Bold, brilliant, daring, one of -- if not the -- greatest thieves in (fictional) history. Not to mention the only man who ever managed to go toe to toe with the delectably devious Fujiko Mine. Need I say more?
4. Vash the Stampede, Trigun. The Humanoid Typhoon, capable of standing alone against impossible odds and coming through without a scratch. The gunman with a heart of gold never misses his target, but he'll go to inhuman lengths to avoid taking a life under any circumstances.
3. Yusuke Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho. Toughest punk of Sariyashi Junior High and no mistake. Winner of the lethal Dark Tournament, defender of the Human world and Prince of the Tri-kingdom of Demon World. So badass he had to go to hell just to find worthy opponents.
2. Spike Speigel, Cowboy Bebop. Sharp and smoother than fine whiskey, fearless under fire and carrying the weight of a dark, sordid past, not to mention ace pilot of the Swordfish and an avid student of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do. You just can't get cooler than bounty hunter Spike Speigel.
1. Yoh Asakura, Shaman King. The only people more laid back than this guy are in comas. Nothing ruffles Yoh for long, and his clarity of thought serves him and his faithful spirit partner Amidamaru well in battle. But its his compassion and loyalty, along with that of his friends, that make him a force to be reckoned with.