You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 27, 2016, 11:43:28 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: System Games - House Rules  (Read 1196 times)

Offline AndyZTopic starter

System Games - House Rules
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
This is a place to put down a list of all the house rules that you put into various games.  Discussion is more than welcome, not everyone has to agree, and the rules systems can be as obscure as you want.

In my experience, a lot of the changes that are used end up being carried by many different GMs.  Often, the games are out of print or the company in question doesn't do much in the way of revision, so you end up left on your own, although some options are made simply to make things easier.

Putting something down doesn't mean that you have to use it, either, but it could just be that you like having the option, or just that you want to start a discussion and see what other people think.

If the game has more than one edition, it may be best to put the edition number, although people probably mean the most recent edition if no number is given.

Offline Thufir Hawat

Re: System Games - House Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
Let me start this list. My favourite houserule says the GM uses simplified sheets for less important characters.
If they become important, you can always flesh them out later, as long as this doesn't change an already-established aspect of the character.

Offline Deva

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
My fav houserule is :You can impose any reduction or restriction on your own abilities, as long as you change them for the worse. It's very interesting for flavour, and helps players better express their characters, depending on what system they use.

My all time favourite has to be a bloodmage that couldn't see blood. He'd vomit after every use of his bloodtravel ability, perhaps not 100% lore canon but one of the best rps I've ever seen.(well not the vomitin but.. you know!)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
Since we have a number of system games on E which seem to often fail once initiative comes around, I'm going to suggest the following, which I've used before with much better results than true initiative:

Every PC gets to go.  After a few days, the DM takes another turn for the NPCs, and then the PCs all get to go again.  If someone didn't go before, they may get to take two turns if they have some reason for taking so long.  Or, you can just let them take two turns, with a max of two, but I don't recommend doing that if the monsters are going to naturally avoid the people who aren't posting.

A mix of this which allows for surprise is to roll init, the players who beat out the monsters then get to go first, then the monsters, and then all the players again.  It works like this:

Bob goes first and Samantha goes last, but since I threw this together in order to make a point, I repeated the initiative over again in order to display how it works.  After all, in most games, you keep your initiative throughout the combat.

In this example, Bob and George would go first, although George could go before Bob.  It would just be whichever of them posts first.  Then the monsters would go.  After that, Bob, George, Samantha and Martha could go in any order, whichever of them posts first.  If they start taking too long, the monsters can just go again.

Really, though, I think it's easier to just let the players go in whatever order they want, then the NPCs, and then the players again, until battle stops.

Offline LaOnomatopoeia

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »
But in what media would that initiative system work in?

Chat seems like it would be the best/easiest. Forum posts probably would be a nightmare unless everyone was online at the same time.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:40 AM »
Well, in normal system games, that's how it's done.  You roll your speed stat and compare it to the roll everyone else got in order to determine turn order.

I agree that in forum RP, it's a nightmare.  That's why I'm suggesting an alternative.

Offline nonniemouse

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
I think the system AndyZ is proposing is based on the "blob initiative" idea?  If it isn't, then I'll offer it as an option too!

1. Combat starts.  Roll one initiative for all monsters.  Roll one initiative for each player.
2. Players that beat monsters in initiative go (by order of posts for simplicity).
3. Monsters go (in any order).
4. Players go (by order of posts).
5. Repeat 3 and 4 until victory!

This avoids the need to wait for a specific spot to come around to post.  The players just need to wait for the GM to post the monster's turn, and the GM just needs to wait for all players to complete their turns.

On top of that, you could put in a time limit before the GM takes the turn even if a PC hasn't posted their turn yet.  And either implement some sort of default combat action or delegate player (another player who takes over a character if the original player is unavailable), or use AndyZ's "go ahead and take your last turn as well" clause.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
I'd never heard of the blob initiative idea, but the two are identical other than suggestions on what to do after the time limit.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »
Scion has a bunch of house rule options out there.  I figured it was about time to make a list that people can point to, as well as add anything which I might have forgotten.

When using a Firearm, add Epic Perception successes to damage rolled.

Untouchable Opponent should give extra dots rating to DV instead of doubling the actual amount that the dots give.  This means that if you have Epic Dexterity 5, you get an extra 5 to DV instead of 11.  Apparently it just gets crazy otherwise once you start getting up there in Legend (although I've never played far enough to know for myself).

Legend is not bought with XP but awarded by the ST.  This allows the ST to set the speed of the game and give out awards as warranted.  It's also recommended with this method that everyone starts at the same amount of Legend.

Elsewhere/Tattoo Relics: By spending one extra point on Relic, an item can either be banished into an extradimensional space or takes on a form of a tattoo.  Banishing the weapon or transforming the tattoo into a physical object for a scene costs one Legend; retrieving it or letting the tattoo take its normal form costs no Legend.

Exalted now uses the method of starting your Willpower at 5, and both Virtues and Willpower cost 1 bonus point per increase.  I'd be curious to see this done in Scion as well, especially given how similar the games are with regard to Virtues and Willpower.  However, I don't think anyone has actually used that yet.

One I got from Hairyheretic: Buying purview powers in sequence gets you a points break. At character generation spending (as an example) 3 points on a purview gets you the level 1,2 and 3 powers. Bought with experience, you would buy it as if the purview level were 1 lower.

Next time I run a Scion game, I want to try the method of 7 Associated Powers.  If your deity has more than 7, you slice down until you have 7, and if you have less than 7, you can add on.  Shadowfox89 has suggested that it be three attributes, three purviews and the pantheon purview, but I think I'd just give the choice of which seven you wanted.

One I'm testing out right now: having specialty Abilities (Art, Control, Crafts and Science) give you one specialty per dot that you have.  In other words, if you have Art 2, you could have Singing and Dancing and it'd cost a total of 2 points at creation, rather than having to pay 4 dots for both.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:51:43 AM by AndyZ »

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:30:50 AM »
As I am a 'specific system for the setting' gamer, I need to know which system you're talking about.  Cuz I have OOODLES of houserules, but each is dependent on the setting.  Hell, there's not system game I haven't house ruled.  As I like to say, "A game I don't house rule, is a game I don't play."

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 02:06:39 AM »
Hey, list them all.  People can always sift through everything to see stuff.

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
Can you group them in spoiler blocks with the name of the setting, please?

In the meantime, I'm going to share a simple houserule for Exalted that I tend to use.
The rule is "use another system" >:). It's got quite a few houserules with it.

And now, let me give you some of the houserules I'm using.

Exalted Via FATE
Use Compact FATE as written. The system would support easily a tale of classic heroes.

Take the skills for Exalted. Group the skills by Caste, and reduce them to 15 all in all, combining the Ride and Sail, Dodge and Athletics, Stealth and Larceny, Bureaucracy and Linguistics, Lore and Investigation, Medicine and Occult, Melee and Martial Arts, Archery and Thrown, Presence and Integrity, Survival and Resistance.

Exalts should be Better Than Mortals, and better than each other. This results in the famous "power tiers", which are represented by the scaling rules. Every time you've got an opposed test, add the difference in levels as a difference in levels of Scale.
Yes, that makes a single Solar equivalent to an army of mortals. That's a feature of the setting. Also, Martial arts are a way to get above your level!
The progression goes as follows.
Solaroids, Celestial Akuma, anyone who can practice Sidereal Martial Arts, if those exist in your version of the setting, and the Yozis.
Celestials, non-Celestial Akuma, Half-Castes and anyone practising Celestial Martial Arts and Third circle demons
Dragon-blooded and anyone practising Terrestrial martial arts, Second Circle demons.
God-blooded and other X-blooded, First Circle Demons.
Enlightened mortals
Unenlightened Heroic Mortals
This can easily vary, though, according to your preferences. Keep in mind that getting access to powerful martial arts can get you up in this level.
Facing someone more than a couple levels above you, unless your strengths directly oppose their weaknesses, typically results in you losing, though. That is, unless you can oppose the more powerful by a squad of people like you, nullifying their advantages... Also see the Ususrpation ;D!

Charmtrees are simulated by Stunts, and are custom-built by the player and GM. Note, most stunts should be paid for with FATE points, which are renamed to "Essence" for this game.

Stunts give you back Fate Points and increase the results, as usual.
That's about it ;D! Well, you could use the Initiative wheel from Exalted with fixed Speed 3 actions and only rare charms or artifacts that lower it, but the standard rules for initiative are just fine most of the time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:32:21 AM by Thufir Hawat »