You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 25, 2016, 03:40:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Living in the Changed World  (Read 466 times)

Offline BelisuaviousTopic starter

Living in the Changed World
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Ok, so for a long time I have wanted to do a role play based on SM Stirlings Emberverse novels, the first three in particular.

For those of you who do not know but are interested, the Change is an event that happened March 17 1998. Everything electronic stopped working. Combustion engines don't work because, although gasoline burns, it burns so slowly that it is impossible for energy to be produced. Same for gunpowder, so guns are useless as anything other than clubs. Cities become death zones as they cannot get enough food to feed the people. Sanitation is a problem because there is no runnig water. Disease quickly breaks ou and spreads. During this time, certain individuals, whether by charismatic influence, sheer bloody-minded willpower or simply being in the right place at the right time will rise up and become leaders of new countries, sprining up on the bones of the old. Against them are bandits, looters, and the Eaters, humans who have found a plentiful source of ready food; Each other.

More info can be found here:

So what I want to do is have this RP start just after the world ends. The general panic has died down and leaders are begining to emerge as they claw their way out of the rubble. Whether or not we are all in the same group is up to the individual. As for the location, I am very open to suggestions, but the default is Alberta/BC North-Western United states, simply because that is my current geographical location. However, I am not adverse to moving the location to anywhere in the world if people can agree on it.

In any case, the general idea is that my character is the "big bad", the one with Imperial ambitions looking to conquor the surrounding area and expand his control as much as he can. Whether or not your characters will help him is up to you.

So here is the character sheet:

Appearence: Can be picture or description. I'm not picky
Equipment: This is shortly after the panic has died down. People know that things have irreversably changed and have armed themselves appropriately. If you are part of a nations military then you can have their kit

Additionally, if you want to fill out a second sheet, here is the Nation Sheet, to fill out if you want to lead your own little nation. Each nation is assumed to have people with basic metal working skills, farmering skills, etc; to make sure they can survive.

Places of note: So far this will be your main settlement and maybe a secondary settlement
Population: Less than 100 please
Military: Describe the equipment and tactics of the nascant military you command, no more than 40% of the population

I am going to cap the number of potential nations at 5 or six, so first come, first serve.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:03:29 PM by Jecter »

Offline BelisuaviousTopic starter

Re: Living in the Changed World
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Name: Belisarius (The name he assumed upon the death of the old world) William Roberts (Old name)
Appearence: William stands at 5'10, with thick curly hair that is dark brown in color. HIs eyes are of similar coloring, and have a slight slant to them, as if suggesting Asiatic or Aboriginal heritage. He is in good physical condition, de to both being a memeber of the wrestling team and from practicing with the local SCA group from time to time, though his is a more wiry strength as opposed to some of the body-builder varieties.
Equipment: Shaska, Circul sheild 2 feet in diametre, chain mail, Crowned helmet.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Biography: Before the Change, William was a simple student at the local College. Nothing really outstanding about him, he did decently in school and was an upper-mid level competitor on the Wrestling team. The only place that he  stood out was at the SCA, and that was because he was one of the main plotters to set up their own local kingdom, and even that wasn't much. He never seemed to be very charismatic, or have a large circul of friends around him. Quiet whispers said he was just a bit off, but there really seemed to be no substance to him, and he was apparantly wrapped up completely in his history studies.
Then the change happened. At first, lie everyone else, he assumed that it was just a temporary failure. Then, a couple of days later, he realised just what had happened. He had no family in the immediate area and without motorised transportation he wouldn't be able to reach them without at least a month of travel. He had very few connections in the small college town, and finally saw that he could realise his dream of a medieval world where he was in control.
He rounded up a few members of the SCA who he knew would have very few scruples and took over the small town. It wasn't as difficult as it sounds though, since many had fled or died in the riots or the fires that followed. There was barely five hundred left, and he quickly whittled those numbers down to those who would serve him, either by banishing or killing the ones who resisted. So he was left with 300 people under his rule. He quickly hammered together an army, and sent armed forces out to the surrounding famland to force the farmers allegience, and began settling people on the farms in order to produce enough food for his new Kingdom.

Name: The Empire, is simply what it's citizens have been calling it
Places of note: New Harrisville, a small college town and it's surrounding farmland
Population: 310
Military: The Infantry are armed with spears and sheilds, while the metalworkers that William has are working on finishing up the short swords and armour for them. Former SCA members are the officers, who have their own equipment. The Empire has no cavalry yet, and lacks the expertise ot make bows or crossbows a reliable part of it's army/.

Offline Wargtass

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:47:44 AM »
This looks interesting. I have an idea right now, but I need to polish it a bit. It involves a nomadic "kingdom" which probably would be more interested in vassaldom rather than conquest. I'll be back later with something a bit more fleshed out.

Offline Syene

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »
I'd be interested in this. I adore the series.

Name: Sophie Taylor
Appearance: Petite, slim, lithe and feminine with wavy, honey blonde hair and soulful brown eyes, Sophie is the very image of the archetypal girl next door. She looks like she should the captain of a cheerleading squad in small town America.
Equipment: switchblade
Biography: She may look like a sweet, smalltown girl but the reality of it is that Sophie is anything but that. She's a survivor -- a quick-witted, con-artist and thief with few morals.

Taken from her alcoholic mother by the state when she was an infant, Sophie ended up in the system. Perhaps it was the foster parents she lived with between the ages of two and five who saved her from following in her mother's footsteps -- they nurtured her budding intelligence, instilling in her a life-long love of knowledge. She certainly never caught a break after that. After her foster father died in an accident, she spent the rest of her life bouncing from foster home to foster home. They ranged from cloyingly protective, to merely neglectful, to outright abusive. Acquiring a excellent understanding of the human mind, she learned to lie and manipulate people, though she has no problem resorting to stealing and violence when that fails her.

The moment she realized that the Change was permanent, she knew what was coming. When nearly everyone was panicking, she didn't. She's enough of a realist to know she doesn't really have the physical strength to protect herself. Rather than throw her lot in with one of the petty thugs in her neighborhood, she went to ground, lying low through the fires and riots until she could determine who was going to emerge as leaders. Now that things have settled down, she's looking for someone ruthless enough to protect her and smart enough to value her skills.