You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 03:45:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Open for Business - M seeks F - quality writing is a must  (Read 1882 times)

Offline BardingTopic starter

Open for Business - M seeks F - quality writing is a must
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »

ďDone,Ē he said, soft as he could.

Her hand was an upturned cup. The lines of his palm shuddered against hers til they fit. He felt bathwater drying on the skin shared between them. He felt the cut heíd fussed over, only the slightest of lines now. Texture, the faint flake of a ridge, all but invisible. And he told himself it was nothing to worry about ó this hand in his, the cut on its palm.

Sunset shone through the boards of the bathroom window, casting shadows as it came. Pooling solid in the roomís dusty corners. Forming triangles on his hot cheeks, and tired half-moons under his eyes, the colour of bruises. The day had worn him thin.

But there was a dread in it. All of it. Every pass of his eyes up and over her wrist, across her face, down into the dark gather of her lap. It felt too much like hunger for comfort. His touches were unneeded now but his fingers stayed put. Practical, he told himself ó not intimate and never too close. But a muggy warmth pricked his skin where it pressed on hers. Like holding hands on the inside too. Stupid. Stop it. Last orders and out.

ďDone,Ē he said again. He drummed his fingertips on her wrist, patting, then let go her hand.

Itís been a while but Iím back, and looking for reasons to stay. Iíve just finished a complete overhaul and update of my Ons and Offs page. The thread's pretty and the content's honest, extensive, and informative ó maybe even entertaining. But the whole reason for the overhaul is a simple one: Iím looking for cowriters. Writers of quality, able to inspire me, and be inspired in turn.

I am open for business.
Hereís what Iím after:

Above all I want quality writing. I donít care what tense you prefer to use, or whether your write in first or third person. On that front Iím easy, adaptable, and happy to experiment. I wonít, however, budge on quality. And by that I mean more than just good grammar and a fluent grasp of English. I mean detail and a grasp of pacing and rhythm. A sense of style, preferably appropriate to the storyís tone.

Iím looking for writers capable of playing female characters. Your real life gender doesnít bother me. What I care about is your ability to create and play interesting, balanced characters, every bit as psychologically complex as any real person worth a damn.

Creativity. Imagination. A dash of enthusiasm and maybe even a tendency to get carried away when thinking, creating, plotting and scheming? A love of brainstorming and world-building, perhaps. Those wouldnít go amiss. And nor would a fondness for literature and interest in history ó by no means necessary, but theyíd certainly help.

For further details, head over to my O/Os page. Have a read, and if you like, PM me and tell me what leapt out at you. Tell me where we agree and where we might not. Tell me what interests we share. Anything that particularly excited you, and perhaps any ideas you mightíve had while reading.

Iím looking for promising partners here, more than for particular plots. However, Iíd be lying if I said I donít have any itches to scratch.

World-Building and Original Settings. I have cravings for specific settings from time to time, sure. But Iíll nearly always prefer to simply talk with a potential cowriter, compare interests, and brainstorm an original setting that appeals to the both of us. Other cravings come and go, but world-building and homebrewing are a constant.

Star Wars. Ever since The Force Awakens was announced Iíve been slowly sinking into a Star Wars hole. As you can imagine, seeing the film Ė twice Ė didnít do much to pull me out. These days Iím in pretty deep, and would welcome a chance to write stories set in the Galaxy Far Far Away. Iím familiar with a decent amount of the old Expanded Universe. However, my preference would be for the time frame of the new movies (circa The Force Awakens), or the Original Trilogy.

The Elder Scrolls. This is an old flame of mine, and one that stands pretty much undiminished. Hereís an entire thread dedicated to searching for stories in this setting ó a little outdated now, but itíll serve till we get the chance to chat.

Wastelands. I recently rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road, and Iíve been playing Fallout 4. As such, I could really go for a story set in a good post-apocalyptic wasteland. Scavengers and raiders. Survival, such that every new sunrise feels like a blessing ó a reward.

Dark Ages: Vampire. A funny one, this. Just the beginning of an inkling Ė an itch Ė but something I can feel might burn up into something bigger if I allowed it. If youíre familiar with Vampire: the Masquerade, or the Dark Ages: Vampire spin-off, perhaps we could stoke that flame together?

My more general interests are detailed thoroughly in my Ons and Offs. Take a look!

Thanks for your time.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:39:50 AM by Barding »

Modified [26/03/2012]. I elaborated a little on the dark low-fantasy idea and added a Dead Space based one.

Offline Rhapsody

Why, hello there old friend.

We should hook up sometime, in a literary fashion.

Offline Echo

Echo? I forgot, for a moment, that there isn't just a 'like' button on Elliquiy for posts. But then I realised, if there was, I'd be clicking it as there are no words. Pff. It woulda been pretty insufficient anyway. (Yo.)

Modified [9/06/2012]. I added two paragraphs towards the end, containing two more potential interests: southern gothic, touched with a mite of the supernatural; and something grimly steampunk. (The latter is very tentative. It'd take a pretty amazing mind to change that for me. So yes, please do take that as a challenge.)

Modified [24/06/2012]. I completely re-wrote the short piece of prose that starts this thread, making it more in-line with my current style. Also updated the list of current semi-specific things I might be interested in working stories around.

Re: Open for Business - M seeks F writers - quality writing is a must
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
Modified [06/02/2013]. I edited the list of my current cravings. They should now be more, well, current. I also removed several ideas for I'm not actively seeking co-writers at the moment.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:51 AM »
Modified [08/03/2013]. Removed some text from one craving, and added three more: two current, and one probably incoming.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:25:39 AM by Barding »

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »
Modified [03/04/2013]. Brought my cravings up-to-date by adding two ideas for video game fandoms: Bioshock (classic and Infinite) and Dragon Age.

Offline playfullchick76

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »
Hi, I would be interested in playing out your far future post apocalyptic one. I've seen enough movies, and have enough of an interest to want to play it out. I'm into alternate reality ones, accidentally sent from this reality to another one, perhaps to the world of Vardia, if you know that book series. I enjoy time travel as well.

Perhaps even brought to an alternate reality on purpose. Perhaps Im your wifes double, she dies, and you travel here to take me, as your love is so strong.

My interests do vary, and I like creativity, intelligence, reading between the lines so to speak. From what I've read, you fit those perfectly.

If something that I've put in appeals to you, let me know. Skilled, imaginative partners are hard to find.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
I'll PM you.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Completely Overhauled, Updated, and Reopened - [11/01/2016]

Offline playfullchick76

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »
Its good to see you back. We could do an alternate reality one, one where I travel to the future, or perhaps one where I slip into an alternate world thats sort of steampunk.