News:

Main Menu

The Legend of Korra.

Started by Wolfy, March 17, 2012, 05:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

You know, that Sequel to "Avatar: The Last Airbender"?

Yeah...it's premiering on April 14th.

Why are there so many days between now and then? It's not fair. >_<

Shjade

While I must say that Avatar:TLA didn't impress me (friends kept raving about it until I watched it, just didn't seem like anything special - good, but not great), what little I've seen of Korra does have my interest. Might be that it looks a little more grown up - older Avatar, plot seems a little less coming-of-age-story. I dunno. Looking forward to it in any case.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kunoichi

Oh yes, definitely looking forward to this one. ^^

Shjade

Yeah, see, from that trailer? I already care more about Korra's Avatar than I ever did about Aang at any point in the series. She just looks more layered than he ever sounded or felt.
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

...So, the first episode has been leaked online. ^^; Anyone else seen it?  I found it rather interesting, and I'm really loving how the setting has advanced...

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on March 18, 2012, 08:15:18 AM
Yeah, see, from that trailer? I already care more about Korra's Avatar than I ever did about Aang at any point in the series. She just looks more layered than he ever sounded or felt.
Uh...  All I see is the typical angry female lead trying to prove herself to the world.  How is that more layered than Aang's young boy growing to his role as leader?

I'm not seeing it.  It doesn't look and more, or less, 'layered' than before.

But then I much preferred Sokka.  A non-Bender able to keep up with this Bender friends.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

BCdan

I saw it leaked too, I think a whole lot of people have seen the first episode now because it was leaked. 

Korra is an awesome character.  I don't think anyone has to worry about her. 

~I enjoy random PM's~

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2012, 02:33:22 PM
Uh...  All I see is the typical angry female lead trying to prove herself to the world.  How is that more layered than Aang's young boy growing to his role as leader?

I'm not seeing it.  It doesn't look and more, or less, 'layered' than before.

Mostly it's the difference in how they interact with their respective environments. Yeah, Korra looks like she's a safe bet to place square in the "resentful rebel youth" column in some respect, but she's at least there, taking part in it. Aang was sorta...how to put it...basically, because of a) the time-hop, b) his difficulty coming to terms with being the Avatar, and 7) his preference to stay more or less a kid as long as he could, he ended up fairly detached from the world. He explored it, yes, but he rarely seemed like he belonged in it or was a part of it. The only time I recall him really acting on the world around him in more than a doing-what-I-want-before-I-blow-town sort of way it was when he hooked up with the lead earthbender guy, and that was because he'd known him pre-time-hop. It made him fairly static as a character, since he wasn't willing to let the world have much effect on him, or vice versa if he could help it. This changes more in the last season when shit gets real, son, but by then it's mostly just combat/direct conflict, not really a coming to terms kind of thing. I just never found myself able to care about him because it seemed like he was trying his hardest not to care either for the longest time.

Rebel youth might be cliche, but at least it's a direct interaction with society (specifically rebelling against it) instead of trying to ignore it altogether.

Granted, this is just what I'm getting out of a 90 second trailer.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on March 18, 2012, 04:20:20 PM
Mostly it's the difference in how they interact with their respective environments. Yeah, Korra looks like she's a safe bet to place square in the "resentful rebel youth" column in some respect, but she's at least there, taking part in it. Aang was sorta...how to put it...basically, because of a) the time-hop, b) his difficulty coming to terms with being the Avatar, and 7) his preference to stay more or less a kid as long as he could, he ended up fairly detached from the world. He explored it, yes, but he rarely seemed like he belonged in it or was a part of it. The only time I recall him really acting on the world around him in more than a doing-what-I-want-before-I-blow-town sort of way it was when he hooked up with the lead earthbender guy, and that was because he'd known him pre-time-hop. It made him fairly static as a character, since he wasn't willing to let the world have much effect on him, or vice versa if he could help it. This changes more in the last season when shit gets real, son, but by then it's mostly just combat/direct conflict, not really a coming to terms kind of thing. I just never found myself able to care about him because it seemed like he was trying his hardest not to care either for the longest time.

Which ended at the second season.  He became a lot more focused and determined as the series went on.  But that was one of the hallmarks of the series, the characters changed and grew visibly.

Quote from: Shjade on March 18, 2012, 04:20:20 PMRebel youth might be cliche, but at least it's a direct interaction with society (specifically rebelling against it) instead of trying to ignore it altogether.

Granted, this is just what I'm getting out of a 90 second trailer.
However, as much as I am honestly bored of 'rebel youth', I trust Nick to have her grow and change for the better, like they did with Aang.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Alysanthia

While I desperately want to watch the leaked episode...

I'm gonna be a good Avatar'd and wait till April. xD

But a bunch of my friends downloaded the episode and said it was so freaking mind blowingly awesome.

Kunoichi

I wouldn't necessarily call it 'mind-blowingly awesome', but it definitely did leave me wanting to see the rest of the series.  It was just a generally-great episode all around, and if the rest of the show lives up to that level of quality, it's going to be an instant classic. ^^

Alysanthia

korranation.tumblr.com

They are gonna post the first two episodes this Saturday.

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 18, 2012, 02:33:22 PM
But then I much preferred Sokka.  A non-Bender able to keep up with this Bender friends.

I liked Suki. ^^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Chris Brady

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 23, 2012, 04:26:02 PM
Suki was awesome.  :)

I wonder how her and Sokka's kids turned out.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 23, 2012, 04:27:51 PM
I wonder how her and Sokka's kids turned out.
I think you can find the a lot of fan speculation on DeviantArt.  Although the guy in the trailer who looks at the 'camera' and says 'She's the Avatar' is likely to be a grandkid of theirs.

Jag

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 23, 2012, 04:31:32 PM
I think you can find the a lot of fan speculation on DeviantArt.  Although the guy in the trailer who looks at the 'camera' and says 'She's the Avatar' is likely to be a grandkid of theirs.

DeviantArt also puts Suki with Uncle Iroh and Kitara with Zuko. :P But yes, that guy does look like Sokka and talk like him.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 23, 2012, 04:42:29 PM
DeviantArt also puts Suki with Uncle Iroh and Kitara with Zuko. :P But yes, that guy does look like Sokka and talk like him.

Likely.  I wonder what happened to Toph, to be honest.  Of the Bender characters, she was my favourite, second was Zuko.  It was clear she had a crush on Sokka, and there doesn't seem to have been much of an epilogue for her.

(Admittedly, I need to finish Season 3 of the first series...  I think I can buy it for 15 bucks on iTunes...  Once I get more cash...)

Jag

They don't really show you much of what happens to any of them by the end of the series. The only one that gets an 'after the credits' type of finish is Zuko.

Chris Brady

Admittedly, he was a fan favourite.

Jag

I do wonder if the story will explain what happened with that little scene. Cause it left it open for Zuko to pretty much have his own series, but if this is far enough in the future for a new Avatar, then it's likely that they won't go much into it.

Chris Brady

They could, should they want, to make a movie out of Zuko's life.  However, yes, the new series, according to various sources takes place at least one hundred years after the first series.

Jag

It would have to be at least 100 years since fire is the avatar before air. So there have been two other avatars who have lived out their lives after Aang before Korra comes into the world, plus, Aang had to live out his life span too. I think it goes Earth, Water, Fire, Air for the avatar cycle.

As for movies, they need to find a different director, different actors, and different script writers from the last one before doing another. :P

Chris Brady

I meant an animated film, done by the Nick team who did the original and new series.  Sorry.

Not the travesty that doesn't exist.

Shjade

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 23, 2012, 05:26:11 PM
It would have to be at least 100 years since fire is the avatar before air. So there have been two other avatars who have lived out their lives after Aang before Korra comes into the world, plus, Aang had to live out his life span too. I think it goes Earth, Water, Fire, Air for the avatar cycle.

As for movies, they need to find a different director, different actors, and different script writers from the last one before doing another. :P

Wait. Isn't Korra water-aligned? She looks like she's one of their eskimo types.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on March 23, 2012, 10:24:09 PM
Wait. Isn't Korra water-aligned? She looks like she's one of their eskimo types.
According to the promo, she is from the Water Tribe.  Not to mention that she's shown as waterbending almost exclusively at the start of it.

Jag

Bleh, shows what I know. I watched the trailer, saw the water bending, and still typed fire. Michi fail. :P

Anyway...it would still have to be at least 75-100 years from Aang to reach a Water Bender in the avatar cycle.

Kunoichi

Actually, official material released by Nickelodeon shows that Korra was quite a gifted bender, even from a young age.

They've got a Press Site set up with all sorts of information.  Just click on 'Clips' and watch the first one to see what I'm talking about.

Callie Del Noire

She was bending 3 elements at like.. SIX!. "I'm the Avatar! You have to deal with it!"

Of course from what I've seen of the first 45 minutes.. she's all power. From a starting point in the series she's a sledgehammer. No finese and none of the spiritual awareness of Aang, but then she wasn't raised like he was.  I think the fact that she came so easily to three elements makes it hard for her to change her outlook to something that is receptive to Tenzin's training methods.  (I find it the man who pushes patience has such a hard time with it with her. :D )

It's going to be fun seeing Republic city through the eyes of an outsider like Korra.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on March 24, 2012, 06:55:22 PM
Fixed. :3

I'm pretty sure the phrase was how I saw it on the Korranation site.

Yup.. @ 2:17 into the the preview.. "I'm the Avatar. You got to deal with IT!"

Kunoichi

It's a reference to the Naruto dub.  The main character's annoying tendency to shout out 'Dattebayo' to emphasize his conversations was replaced with an annoying tendency to shout out 'Believe it!' for the same general purpose. :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 24, 2012, 08:28:20 PM
It's a reference to the Naruto dub.  The main character's annoying tendency to shout out 'Dattebayo' to emphasize his conversations was replaced with an annoying tendency to shout out 'Believe it!' for the same general purpose. :P

I've lasted.. three minutes in a Naruto show. I just.. don't like it. Bleach is alien to me too. But then my favorite anime are things like Akira, Appleseed, Black Magic M-66, Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop.

Kane Gunlock

My first Impression of the show are that its good it has a nice pace I like the whole modernization motif the put into the world I honslty can't say I've seen it in many other fantasy settings

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 24, 2012, 08:36:51 PM
I've lasted.. three minutes in a Naruto show. I just.. don't like it.

Me either. I do, however, occasionally like to reference it for purposes of humor. ;p
◕/◕'s

Wolfy

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 24, 2012, 08:28:20 PM

Which was dropped around the Chuunin Exam/Sasuke retrieval arc.

Yet people still harp on about it. >_>

Anyway, One Piece is Infinitely better, more so now that they've had their own time skip.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on March 24, 2012, 09:30:21 PM
Which was dropped around the Chuunin Exam/Sasuke retrieval arc.

Yet people still harp on about it. >_>

Anyway, One Piece is Infinitely better, more so now that they've had their own time skip.

Well I've only seen BITS of One Piece.. but I enjoyed the three or four issues of the manga I read once. Struck me as a bit of funny.. not too big on the big sillyness anymore though. I enjoyed Ranma 1/2 a ways back but not so much now.

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 24, 2012, 10:04:10 PM
Well I've only seen BITS of One Piece.. but I enjoyed the three or four issues of the manga I read once. Struck me as a bit of funny.. not too big on the big sillyness anymore though. I enjoyed Ranma 1/2 a ways back but not so much now.

There's still Sillyness when there needs to be. o3o

That's what I enjoy about One Piece...it's Silly, but not too silly. It can be extremely serious as well, such as when Prominent character's die or other similar moments.

ShadowFox89

.... Steve Blum voices Amon.

If anything, my inner fanboy for Cowboy Bebop demands I watch this.

Let me say it again. SPIKE SPIEGEL IS AMON!
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Aww, not Vicious?

...oh well, Blum's still good. ;p
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

So, if anyone's curious about the new sport that's going to play a role in the series' plot, the rules to said sport have come out...

Pro-Bending Rules

Callie Del Noire

Left out one rule 'The Avatar can only use one element.'. :D

NotoriusBEN

oh the fury of the other team on that ruling  ;D

Callie Del Noire

I like the series a lot.. just watched Episode 9 (go iTunes season ticket!) and the more I see..the more I suspect that Amon is a bender of some sort. Energybending is TYPICALLY an avatar power but I think that a talented bender might figure it out.

Shjade

I actually thought Tarrlock might be Amon for a little while, but it seems he has his OWN issues.

It's a shame Amon's methods are so extreme, though, 'cause let's face, dude is right: benders are dicks, on the whole, particularly toward non-benders.

Also, you can watch the show on Nick's site here: http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos?navid=showNav
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

You got some serious dicks..then I see Tenzin and the brothers (Mako and Bolin). I think the role of the Avatar is to encourage cooperation in the world..and that is one task the Avatar has failed at in multiple incarnations. That is why Amon is so successful, he is addressing the issues that the Avatar has failed to address.

The 'wild card' in this thing is going to be the lack of countering against airbending and folks like Asami Sato. Airbending, granted is a lost art, and isn't as important as 'normal' folk like Asami

Aidonsious

Quote from: Wolfy on March 17, 2012, 05:05:04 PM
You know, that Sequel to "Avatar: The Last Airbender"?

Yeah...it's premiering on April 14th.

Why are there so many days between now and then? It's not fair. >_<

I love the show! I was very happy the made a squeal to Avatar The Last Airbender with actually people from the first.

vin26m

Anyone want to try to predict what's going to happen or guess reasons for things?

Maybe Amon is immune to bloodbending because he's not fully human.  He could have synthetic body parts, like Darth Vader.

When Amon attempts to take away Korra's bending, Korra goes full avatar.  She can then take away his ability to take away bending.  Perhaps she can even restore bending to those it was taken away from.  And maybe she can go so far as to awaken bending in non-benders.

Chris Brady

I should actually start watching this at some point...

Kunoichi

Well, close to the first season finale is certainly a good point to start watching through the whole thing. ^^

Shjade

Quote from: vin26m on June 17, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
Maybe Amon is immune to bloodbending because he's not fully human.  He could have synthetic body parts, like Darth Vader.

Wouldn't synthetic body parts likely have fluid components (hydraulics?) as well? Or, failing that, wouldn't bloodbending prevent your body from making the proper inputs to your synthetic parts anyway?

I dunno, the whole "Amon flat-out ignores bloodbending" thing is probably the first thing I've seen in this series so far that just made me flat-out call bullshit. My current theory is "Amon resists bloodbending because the plot demands it, since against anyone else bloodbending is auto-win and they couldn't just end the series right there."
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

I like the 'Amon is secretly a bloodbender himself' angle, personally. ^^

Shjade

Another bloodbender who can do it without a full moon? That seems pretty unlikely given the number of people who've been able to do it thus far.
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

I'm sure people once said the same about metalbending, too.

Shjade

Metalbending never had specific requirements for being able to do it before. It would be pretty damn contrived to have not one but two key players in the plot have this previously impossible talent without explanation.

And, as a more petty thing, Amon didn't do anything to bend. Tarrlock's doing all his silly marionette-style movements to do his bending, Amon just walks through it. Doesn't seem like any reverse-bending going on there.

It's probably just an extension of the whole chi mastery thing he's got going on. Zen monks who can slow their pulse to the point of near coma through meditation, etc., I could see that being extended in a cartoon to the point of having mastery over his own internal flow.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

I think Amon is some sort of bender.. he's just in denial about it.. seems to me that the chi manipulation he's doing to block/destroy the bender's talents is a sign of a very skilled bender.

vin26m

Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 05:11:28 PM
Wouldn't synthetic body parts likely have fluid components (hydraulics?) as well? Or, failing that, wouldn't bloodbending prevent your body from making the proper inputs to your synthetic parts anyway?

I dunno, the whole "Amon flat-out ignores bloodbending" thing is probably the first thing I've seen in this series so far that just made me flat-out call bullshit. My current theory is "Amon resists bloodbending because the plot demands it, since against anyone else bloodbending is auto-win and they couldn't just end the series right there."

I think that hydraulics would lead to some kind of super strength, which I don't think Amon has shown.  I don't think hydraulics would be necessary for a cyborg.  I'm sticking with the cyborg angle.  If they can build mechs, maybe they can build 'borgs.

Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 07:26:20 PM
Metalbending never had specific requirements for being able to do it before. It would be pretty damn contrived to have not one but two key players in the plot have this previously impossible talent without explanation.

And, as a more petty thing, Amon didn't do anything to bend. Tarrlock's doing all his silly marionette-style movements to do his bending, Amon just walks through it. Doesn't seem like any reverse-bending going on there.

It's probably just an extension of the whole chi mastery thing he's got going on. Zen monks who can slow their pulse to the point of near coma through meditation, etc., I could see that being extended in a cartoon to the point of having mastery over his own internal flow.

Certainly possible.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 17, 2012, 07:38:12 PM
I think Amon is some sort of bender.. he's just in denial about it.. seems to me that the chi manipulation he's doing to block/destroy the bender's talents is a sign of a very skilled bender.

Chi blocking is not new.  Ty Lee did it in the original series.

Removing bending could be the sign of a very skilled bender (like Aang), although it seems to be independent of any element. 

Or, removing bending could be a more powerful version of chi-blocking, like bloodbending is to waterbending, metalbending is to earthbending, and casting lightning bolts is to firebending.

Shjade

Or he's an incredibly jaded Aang, back from the dead. @.@
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

Shjade

That...was actually amusing.
◕/◕'s

Calison

Quote from: vin26mOr, removing bending could be a more powerful version of chi-blocking, like bloodbending is to waterbending, metalbending is to earthbending, and casting lightning bolts is to firebending.

I was thinking of Amon's "energy-bending" being a higher form of chi-blocking as well. In the instances that we see Aang use energy-bending its in a different position than Amon uses and there are glowy eyes. Still not sure if the glowy eyes are a thrown in dramatic effect, but I do find it odd that we only see it with Aang if that's the case.

Also, maybe Amon's speech in "The Revelation" wasn't just self-propaganda showboating. When he refers to himself as being chosen by the spirits, maybe he's serious. After all, Korra has been shirking her spiritual duties as the Avatar, so maybe the spirits decided to find someone else. -shrugs- Just my two cents.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Calison on June 17, 2012, 09:38:25 PM
I was thinking of Amon's "energy-bending" being a higher form of chi-blocking as well. In the instances that we see Aang use energy-bending its in a different position than Amon uses and there are glowy eyes. Still not sure if the glowy eyes are a thrown in dramatic effect, but I do find it odd that we only see it with Aang if that's the case.

Also, maybe Amon's speech in "The Revelation" wasn't just self-propaganda showboating. When he refers to himself as being chosen by the spirits, maybe he's serious. After all, Korra has been shirking her spiritual duties as the Avatar, so maybe the spirits decided to find someone else. -shrugs- Just my two cents.

I don't think it's so much that Korra has been shirking them.. but that she's just not as easily as spiritual a person as Ang was. Each avatar has their own issues.. Ang ran from his duties when it was revealed he was the Avatar, leaving a century of suffering and the genocide of his people. Roku, the prior Avatar, was betrayed by a friend after a perceived slight.

The Avatar is human.. he/she might be the tool of balance and the speaker for humanity to the spriit world but they are still human. Ang didn't understand his duties.. Roku trusted the wrong person.. Korra sees the world as something you can face over your fist.. though she is learning. I think when this series ends you'll see a more mature and balanced Korra.. I do wonder what she'll lose in her stories journey though.

Shjade

Quote from: Calison on June 17, 2012, 09:38:25 PM

The glowing eyes are from being in Avatar mode/form/whatever, not from removing the bending.
◕/◕'s

Sabre

Some ideas.

Water bending is derived from flow, the push and pull of water.  Healing with water bending is allowing the body's natural chi to flow freely into damaged regions.  Everyone has chi flowing from their seven chakras that act to naturally resist someone else manipulating them through bending.  Bloodbending, requiring a full moon usually, is less a matter of realizing there is water in the body as it is overcoming the chi of the target.  Tarrlok and his father Yakone could bloodbend at will, meaning they had a powerful ability to overcome people's chi to allow them to freely manipulate the water in their bodies.  When Aang went into the Avatar State, he was no longer affected by this as his chi was off the charts.  Amon is likely a very powerful nonbender with exceptional command of his chi, like the Guru.

Next, compare Aang's energy bending, when he permanently takes away someone's bending, to what Amon does.

Usually Aang is seen with his hand on the person's forehead and the other on his heart.  Two chakras commanding Insight and Love respectively.  It's likely Aang takes away bending by opening these chakras to insight and love where there was illusion and grief before.  The True Mind and True Heart mentioned by the Lion Turtle, where the distinction and inner turmoil that fuels the bending of men like Ozai and Yakone disappear and thus takes away their bending.

Amon on the other hand touches a person's forehead and throat, which command Insight and Truth, and which are blocked by illusion and lies.  Consider the possibility that Amon is not actually taking away a person's bending permanently, but instead corrupting their chakras into making them think they can no longer bend.

Shjade

Quote from: Sabre on June 19, 2012, 04:27:01 PM
Next, compare Aang's energy bending, when he permanently takes away someone's bending, to what Amon does.

Usually Aang is seen with his hand on the person's forehead and the other on his heart.  Two chakras commanding Insight and Love respectively.  It's likely Aang takes away bending by opening these chakras to insight and love where there was illusion and grief before.  The True Mind and True Heart mentioned by the Lion Turtle, where the distinction and inner turmoil that fuels the bending of men like Ozai and Yakone disappear and thus takes away their bending.

Amon on the other hand touches a person's forehead and throat, which command Insight and Truth, and which are blocked by illusion and lies.  Consider the possibility that Amon is not actually taking away a person's bending permanently, but instead corrupting their chakras into making them think they can no longer bend.

Your familiarity with chakras and the flow and meaning behind their theory impresses me, sir. Good show.
◕/◕'s

vin26m

Callie Del Noire

I confess to the fact that I want to see the ex-chief to get her bending back.. she's too billy badass to be destroyed. Which is what I see coming out of those who are blocked by Anon..they seem sickly and.. well.. broken. Which leads me to think that unlike Ang's blocking..his blocking hurts the flow of energy.

Aidonsious

Quote from: vin26m on June 17, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
Anyone want to try to predict what's going to happen or guess reasons for things?

When Amon attempts to take away Korra's bending, Korra goes full avatar.  She can then take away his ability to take away bending.  Perhaps she can even restore bending to those it was taken away from.  And maybe she can go so far as to awaken bending in non-benders.

I assume that we already met Amon minus mask...I am looking forward to meeting Aang's other two kids.

Aidonsious

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 17, 2012, 07:38:12 PM

I agree and maybe there is the possibility that he formed a new alterations of bloodbending that makes him resistant. Or he can just have control over his own blood to counter act it.

Aidonsious

Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 10:18:25 PM
The glowing eyes are from being in Avatar mode/form/whatever, not from removing the bending.

Could there be a chance of two avatars? I know what the legend says but maybe there are other forms of avatars that we are just getting introduced to.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 19, 2012, 07:02:01 PM
Could there be a chance of two avatars? I know what the legend says but maybe there are other forms of avatars that we are just getting introduced to.

Zombie ANG! Explains soooo much.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 19, 2012, 07:08:07 PM
Zombie ANG! Explains soooo much.
Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 08:27:41 PM
Or he's an incredibly jaded Aang, back from the dead. @.@

;p

@Aidonsious: let's say for the sake of argument that it's possible to have two avatars. Why doesn't Amon go into Avatar mode to remove bending, then?

I find it unlikely he's an Avatar. He's basically an anti-Avatar; instead of balance, he wants equilibrium - or, rather, he wants things to be made equal.

Isn't that balance, you ask? Well, yes and no. The end result is "balanced" in that you have a level playing field in which things are more or less balanced against one another. However, given that this version of "balance" requires the destruction of one of the two major existing "sides" of the equation (bender vs. non-bender), it's actually an extreme unbalancing, tipping everything to one side and eschewing all presence of the other. I suspect this is not a coincidence in the character's design.

@Callie's second post above: Possible, though really, the brokenness effect of bending removal is probably as simple as depression. Think about it: if you've had superpowers all your life and suddenly had them taken away from you, forever, you'd probably be pretty bummed out, yeah? I think some emotional desolation is understandable regardless of whether or not their internal energy is fucked up as well.
◕/◕'s

Wolfy

Hmm....

If Amon and Aang, and most likely by extension, Korra herself, can take away bending....

Does the Inverse hold true? Can they give it?

Shjade

Hm. I sorta doubt it. Restore it, maybe, but generate it where there was no bending capacity before? I dunno.
◕/◕'s

Inerrant Lust

I'm with Shjade- Amon is some sort of Anti-Avatar.

I have a weird theory that he's the result of the Avatar reincarnations 'ending' with Aang's 'death' at the end of Book 2. He was the 'solution' to a world without the Avatar, to the possibility of a one-world government under the Fire Nation.

While nice and tidy, this would make him spry for 71.

But then again, Kyoshi lived 230 years. Guru Pathik was 150 years old, and Bumi 112...

Chris Brady

Haven't watched an episode, yet.  Monitor is dead, and iPad doesn't like external video sites other than YouTube.

But after hearing/reading most of the theories about Amon being Aang, I have to ask:  Do people really want him to go 'dark side'?  Is it really that interesting for yet another hero to fall?

Sabre

It's very clear anyway that Amon is not Aang.  One is Steven Blum and the other is not.  Q.E.D.

Shjade

Yeah, I was joking about zombie Aang.
◕/◕'s

Aidonsious

Quote from: Shjade on June 19, 2012, 09:06:51 PM
;p

@Aidonsious: let's say for the sake of argument that it's possible to have two avatars. Why doesn't Amon go into Avatar mode to remove bending, then?

He could be like Aang was in the beginning and could not summon his true spiritual self.

Because the text and original rituals were lost when the air benders were destroyed, maybe there is something else out there we do not know about...

I miss momo....

Aidonsious

I also think that Katara knows something...because as was mentioned the other avatars lived well over 100...why did Aang die around 82?

ExisD

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 20, 2012, 11:27:29 PM
I also think that Katara knows something...because as was mentioned the other avatars lived well over 100...why did Aang die around 82?

He was well over 100, he just spent a significant portion of that time frozen.

Though more seriously, I'm expecting that to be a plot point at some point.

Shjade

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 20, 2012, 11:25:18 PM
He could be like Aang was in the beginning and could not summon his true spiritual self.
Aang in the beginning couldn't remove bending, either.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 20, 2012, 11:27:29 PM

The official reason, cite in an interview somewhere I think, is that the century spent on ice several impaired Angs health later in life.

Sabby

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Maiz

I've heard of theories that perhaps Amon is Koh the Facestealer. That would be interesting, I think, and explains Amon's (possible) energybending and maybe even why he's not affected by bloodbending. And of course, why he wears a mask. Anyway, I cant wait for the finale tomorrow.

Inerrant Lust

I won't spoil anything, don't worry. :P

But huh.

I'm a little disappointed. One or two more episodes would have been sufficient, I think, to provide the character development that was needed. Actual spoilers to follow, for those of you who haven't seen the finale;

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
We have Amon/Noatok's origins... And we have his endgame. But I feel like his motivations were glossed over.

Yeah, we can see the seeds of his whole revolution- hating Yakone for abusing his power, using bending against the weak, ect. But... still, a lot is left to be told.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on June 23, 2012, 06:20:23 PM
I won't spoil anything, don't worry. :P

But huh.

I'm a little disappointed. One or two more episodes would have been sufficient, I think, to provide the character development that was needed. Actual spoilers to follow, for those of you who haven't seen the finale;

We have Amon/Noatok's origins... And we have his endgame. But I feel like his motivations were glossed over.

Yeah, we can see the seeds of his whole revolution- hating Yakone for abusing his power, using bending against the weak, ect. But... still, a lot is left to be told.

Hmm....There is still a second season coming, you know. ;3

13 more episodes.

Of course, I hope they make more than that...I really do.

I also hope they continue this series onward...maybe one more time with another new Avatar, once Korra's story is done.

SinXAzgard21

After watching the last two episodes I just wonder how they will continue on with the series.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 24, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
After watching the last two episodes I just wonder how they will continue on with the series.

Agreed.. this ep seems.. completing the story line very good. I mean.. it 'fixes' all the problems...

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 24, 2012, 08:52:07 PM
Agreed.. this ep seems.. completing the story line very good. I mean.. it 'fixes' all the problems...

Like I said...They could do a new avatar...

or even a Time skip to Korra being older.

Shjade

It doesn't fix ALL the problems.

Korra hasn't achieved Avatar state and only has access to airbending (presumably because she hadn't had it prior to the bloodbending that cut off her access to what she already knew), and there's a city full of straightened benders that need chakral repair. Book 1 resolved the Amon arc, but it leaves a fair amount of ground to cover in social/political/spiritual things to do.

Book 2 is probably going to be more coming-of-age-slash-soul-searching than dealing with a direct antagonist.

Edit: Lulz, that's what I get for posting before the last five minutes of the episode.

So there's still a little political fallout to smooth over, but from there I guess just Avatar adventuretimes trying to fix the problems Amon rightly pointed out exist in the world?
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on June 26, 2012, 02:20:35 PM
It doesn't fix ALL the problems.

Korra hasn't achieved Avatar state and only has access to airbending (presumably because she hadn't had it prior to the bloodbending that cut off her access to what she already knew), and there's a city full of straightened benders that need chakral repair. Book 1 resolved the Amon arc, but it leaves a fair amount of ground to cover in social/political/spiritual things to do.

Book 2 is probably going to be more coming-of-age-slash-soul-searching than dealing with a direct antagonist.

Edit: Lulz, that's what I get for posting before the last five minutes of the episode.

So there's still a little political fallout to smooth over, but from there I guess just Avatar adventuretimes trying to fix the problems Amon rightly pointed out exist in the world?

I know how you feel... I've posted before I've watched something fully and the effing twist pops up.  Yeah, a roaming/adventure which leads up to something towards the middle or the end/beginning of the next book would be most likely.

As for another avatar I don't think so as this series is about Korra and another avatar would mean that the name of the show would change as well.

Lavinia

It did manage to tie itself up all nice and tidy. I'm with you lot on wanting to see a bit more about Amon's motivations, but I'll live. That being said, I haven't faintest idea how they'll continue on from this point, but here's to hoping that it doesn't involve more Makorra drama (which was started out cute enough and than somehow manage to be both adorable and irritating...and then just irritating).

Chris Brady

Gotta ask, has Korra done anything that's legendary yet?

Aidonsious

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 27, 2012, 04:52:27 AM
Gotta ask, has Korra done anything that's legendary yet?

Oh yes she did!  Season finale was epic!

Aidonsious

Quote from: Lavinia on June 27, 2012, 01:31:09 AM
It did manage to tie itself up all nice and tidy. I'm with you lot on wanting to see a bit more about Amon's motivations, but I'll live. That being said, I haven't faintest idea how they'll continue on from this point, but here's to hoping that it doesn't involve more Makorra drama (which was started out cute enough and than somehow manage to be both adorable and irritating...and then just irritating).

After the season finale, Korra has to fix everything that Amon has done. As well, now that we are introduced to a few new characters in the last episode of the season, we learn their stories, where they came from and how their society is reacting to the force change. There must still be some feud between the elements, just not in republic city.

Aidonsious

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 26, 2012, 03:04:35 PM
I know how you feel... I've posted before I've watched something fully and the effing twist pops up.  Yeah, a roaming/adventure which leads up to something towards the middle or the end/beginning of the next book would be most likely.

As for another avatar I don't think so as this series is about Korra and another avatar would mean that the name of the show would change as well.

I agree that this series is about Korra but as Saka always wanted, the new Team Avatar is set out to fix all that was broken and Korra learns the truth about the past. I still do not know how certain people died...we only know so little about what happened over the past 70 years and there are still people we havent meant...like all the siblings and children/grandchildren of the original cast.

NotoriusBEN

The Legend of Korra seasons are going to be fully enclosed story arcs. Due to some slips of the tongue from the creators and just the general attitude of Nickelodeon being incompetent. The Avatar creators are going this route, if only so that if and when Nick kills off Avatar, it is all fully enclosed and no orphan episodes are left out. In fact, this season was to be the 'only' season of Korra. Nickelodeon ordered a second season as soon as this one was finished in production, hence, all the neatly tied up story lines. (True, ordering a few extra episodes wouldnt have hurt, but the creators stated this was for quality of animation purposes)

It may be little known here, but Nick executives tried very hard to kill the original three seasons of Avatar. Anything that threatens the flagship program (ie. Spongebob) is anathema to them. I am aware that it makes absolutely no god damn business sense, but there it is. Seriously, this is a thing.

Luckily, a couple years ago, a new executive (cant remember his name) said that this was a stupid business model and has since fought for more flagship programming, whatever that may be. Still, one guy can only do so much against a room full of stupid.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 27, 2012, 07:54:56 AM
Oh yes she did!  Season finale was epic!

I wouldn't call it epic.  It was a good finale that wrapped up the season but nothing hugely spectacular happened....
until the last like 3 minutes of the show where she accessed her avatar state and restored the rest of her bending and the bending of others.

Shjade

Yeah, I can't say anything particularly legendary happened.

@NotoriusBEN: While I'm completely willing to believe studio executives are being dumb with regard to this series, I find it odd that, if this was intended to be a single-shot series, it would be titled "Book 1." Generally speaking, you don't number your books if you're only planning on making one of them.
◕/◕'s

NotoriusBEN

Who knows, shjade.

Im just relaying some of the politicking I've seen of Nick over the last few years. Like I said, LoK was created and Nick bought 14 more episodes at a point in time that would have made it extremely hard to go back and make the seasons over arc like ATLA 1 through 3. Maybe Title Cards are easier to push through production than animation is.

Callie Del Noire

Ben has a point. Politics are a BIG gig in the networks. That is why sci-fi shows tend to implode no matter how good they are (along with some other genres) because they are expensive and take time to build momentum while 'reality shows' are cheap, you can sell/hype them really intensely and costs are damn small compared to a potential Buffy/Angel/Xfiles/whatever.

Not to mention American studio execs seem to want to be 'kingdom builders'. They don't like things they can't completely put under THEIR name.

Aidonsious

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 27, 2012, 06:31:51 PM
I wouldn't call it epic.  It was a good finale that wrapped up the season but nothing hugely spectacular happened....
until the last like 3 minutes of the show where she accessed her avatar state and restored the rest of her bending and the bending of others.

She went further than Aang ever got spirit related (in a shorter time) and learned a technique that no one knows...I saw that calls for a little bit of epicness....

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 27, 2012, 10:00:51 PM
She went further than Aang ever got spirit related (in a shorter time) and learned a technique that no one knows...I saw that calls for a little bit of epicness....

What technique?

Shjade

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 27, 2012, 10:00:51 PM

She's been training to be the avatar since she was like five or six years old and she's older now than Aang was in The Last Airbender. How do figure she did it in a shorter time?
◕/◕'s

Aidonsious

She was unable to make a connection with the spirit world in the beginning, Aang could only talk to one or two people max regarding advice. What she did in the last episode far exceeded that one to two past avatar that Aang mastered. Also, Aang struggled with the other three elements, when Korra was 5 or 6, she already pretty much mastered 3 of teh four elements on her own.

Aidonsious

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 27, 2012, 10:20:58 PM
What technique?

I am trying really hard not to spoil but the one that reversed what Amon had done to everyone....Aang gained the ability to do what Amon did but never the one to reverse it..

Chris Brady

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 28, 2012, 02:55:57 PM
She was unable to make a connection with the spirit world in the beginning, Aang could only talk to one or two people max regarding advice. What she did in the last episode far exceeded that one to two past avatar that Aang mastered. Also, Aang struggled with the other three elements, when Korra was 5 or 6, she already pretty much mastered 3 of teh four elements on her own.

Aang was never formally taught the other elements, like Korra has.  I think Aang had the harder journey in that regard.

vin26m

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 28, 2012, 02:57:41 PM
I am trying really hard not to spoil but the one that reversed what Amon had done to everyone....Aang gained the ability to do what Amon did but never the one to reverse it..

Aang gave Korra back her lost bending. 

It was Spirit Aang, but still Aang. 

I think Aang went into an avatar state when he returned Korra's bending, and I think Korra entered the avatar state when she returned Lin's bending.

The Golden Touch

Remember to use spoilers to hide endings to shows for those of us that have not seen it.

[spoiler](Insert ending here)[/spoiler]

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

vin26m

Quote from: The Golden Touch on June 28, 2012, 05:35:39 PM
Remember to use spoilers to hide endings to shows for those of us that have not seen it.

[spoiler](Insert ending here)[/spoiler]

Fixed.

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 28, 2012, 03:34:36 PM
Aang was never formally taught the other elements, like Korra has.  I think Aang had the harder journey in that regard.

Nah, when we first see Li'l Korra her reason for being so confident that she's the avatar is that she's already slinging around water, earth and fire like nobody's business.

That has no bearing on how long it took her to get in touch with her spiritual side at all, however. Korra and Aang are basically opposites: Korra's very pro-conflict and likes solving problems via force. Aang avoids conflict and prefers to just have things resolve peacefully if possible. It makes sense, then, that he more easily taps into the spiritual side of things, has mastery over the less directly combat-oriented forms of bending (air and water both came first and easiest to him as I recall) while having more difficulty with the destructive-inclined elements of earth and especially fire. Korra, on the other hand, has no problem kicking all kinds of ass with earth, water and fire, but can barely even wrap her head around the concept of avoiding confrontation or considering alternative methods of problem-solving, blocking her completely from the spiritual side of things and the whole realm of airbending due to her all-I-have-is-a-hammer mindset.

Even when, in full panic mode, she gets access to airbending it's basically just used as a substitute for fire; she doesn't show any kind of mobility-related usage for it, which is practically the main draw of that element. Likewise, her finally getting in touch with the other avatars is solely driven by, essentially, having no choice but to do so. Like Aang tells her, she's hit rock bottom at that point, the best possible state for being open to looking for answers (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing). It took her longer to reach that point than Aang, age-wise, and still required a massively life-altering event to trigger at all. I'd hardly call that epic progress.

As for the returning bending thing, that's just Avatar stuff. I don't think we ever saw Aang failing to return someone's bending, did we? Pretty sure the whole point of Avatar state is that it teaches you all the stuff the other Avatars know/can do. It's not as though Korra spontaneously invented a technique no one had before; she just tapped into the whole Avatar do-whatever-plot-dictates-you-need-to-be-able-to-do power.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 28, 2012, 02:57:41 PM

Yeah that is called energy bending... Aang was able to do it as well.  Aang's journey was more difficult than Korra's.  He had to experience so much loss in order to become who he was in the end.

I put is all in the spoiler just in case someone hasn't seen Aang's story.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Styx26

I've got some predictions (maybe hopes?) for Book 3: Change. Korra and Asami go to the Earth Kingdom to deal with reports of chi blockers and spirits working together, though Asami is there because of her company. Mako is back at Republic City as a detective, but gets a tip about a firebender connected to the murders of his parents and Asami's mother. Bolin is now a celebrity, he could use his fame to help people dealing with the influx of spirits in the world. Really, I just want Korra and Asami to have more screen time. If all we get is subtext, then let it be subtext. :)
Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!