News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What is a Paracord key chain?

Started by undisclosedtoyou, March 12, 2012, 12:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

Okay, so I received  a gift from a neighbor today, and was told that it's a self defense item that can be attached to my key ring.  Now, my mom has something similar, but with a ball on the end, and I know those are used for self defense.  But when I looked it up, all I got was that it was a paracord key chain, and that some paracord items are used by survivalist's.  Can someone tell me if it is in fact a self defense item, or if it has any other uses.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Kazyth

Frankly, unless there is a weight or heavy knot at the end of it, or unless it is wrapped around a firm metal rod of some sort, it isn't for self defense.  Possibly for survival, but the only Paracord self defense items right now have one or the other, as you really need a weight/knot at the end or that firm metal rod for it to do any good.  Unless you are a ninja, that is.  The only other possible self-defense use I can imagine is if you use the free end of the cord itself to swing your keys, at which point you'd best have a good deal of weight in keys or you'll do little but annoy someone, if that.

Hope that helps!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

undisclosedtoyou

Yes, that does help.  I've tried swinging it at something, and it sounds like it it hit's pretty hard; and I tried it across the palm of my hand and it stung, and that was a weak swing, so maybe it could be use to stun an attacker to give the wielder some time? 

When I looked it up, I got a lot of references for paracord bracelets, that apparently will give the wearer more than 10 feet of cord, the same kind that was used for parachutes.  So I wondering if maybe what I have has something to do with that, rather than self defense.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Autumn Sativus

As I understand it, you are supposed to insert a metal rod into these things called a 'kubotan'. Maybe that can help you do some more research on it?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oniya

As it is, that's merely a way of compressing a decent amount of cord (Paracord is a strong nylon cord used in - wait for it - parachutes) into a compact, tangle-free package.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jaybee55

Just FYI: A kubotan sheathed in a paracord keychain might be considered an illegal concealed weapon, depending on where you live.

Also: I don't recommend using a kubotan for self defense unless you have at least a little (and preferably more than a little) training with small hand-to-hand weapons.  It's a really good way to get beat up.  On the other hand, if the absolute best tactic (i.e. running as fast as you can) is not viable - for example if your movement-challenged in some way - then I'd say pepper spray is a far better choice than a physical contact weapon.  Disclaimer: Pepper spray is legal in 47 out of 50 states, but check your local laws before purchasing.
Ons and Offs (incomplete)

undisclosedtoyou

Thanks for the info everyone!  Yeah, I don't know about making it an actual weapon that's a little out of my sphere of knowledge, but even if it's not technically meant to be a weapon, I'm glad it's useful or something.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's