News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Good credit vs Bad credit!

Started by Saku, March 11, 2012, 03:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saku

Okay for those of you who used to have bad credit and somehow turned that bad credit into good credit.... how did you do it? I do not have good credit and was wondering if you knew any way to make your bad credit go back to good again. I only know one way and that is to use credit cards and keep paying on time but I just wanted to know if there was any other way? To speed up the process? Because if you do it the credit card way I heard it takes up to 2-3 years to get good credit again...
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Beguile's Mistress

There are three credit reporting agencies:  Equifax, Experion and TransUnion.  Creditors report to these agencies when customers fall into slow pay, failure to pay and default categories.  Law suits filed against you to collect debt and judgments awarded to plaintiffs and recorded at the county level are also included on these reports.

Once you have reached a financial status where you can satisfy all of you bills in a timely fashion on a monthly basis you are on your way to re-establishing good credit. 

Now it is time to get copies of your credit report and examine each of the entries on ALL THREE.  Look for debts listed that are not yours and debts that have been paid off.  You need to challenge these debts with sufficient proof to convince the reporting agencies and/or creditors to removed them from the record.

During this challenge period you may see your credit scores fall but once items begin to be deleted from the reports your score should rise.

This is general information and not a legal opinion or advice.  There are companies that are legal entities in business to help people improved their credit scores.  Attorneys also can offer you advice on how to handle these issues.  As you said it can take 2 to 3 years to restore a good credit rating and it can be a lot of work but it's worth the time and effort if you can do this. 

Investigate your options.  You should be able to discuss some of these with an attorney free of charge or for a minimal fee.  Interview several and compare what they tell you.  Take clean copies of your credit reports to the meetings and don't discuss other advice that has been given to you.  Also, remember that these people are in business to make money.  Do not let them pressure you into enrolling in any program you can't afford and be wary of anyone who advises a debt consolidation plan where you give money to them to pay bills.

This is all I can think of to tell you.  I hope some of it helps. 

Saku

I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Beguile's Mistress

Anjasa

Chris Brady

Bear in mind that asking to see your Credit list, will make your Credit Rating worse.  They work under the assumption that if you have to know, then you don't know your finances, which puts a red mark on your file.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Torch

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 16, 2012, 03:34:58 AM
Bear in mind that asking to see your Credit list, will make your Credit Rating worse.  They work under the assumption that if you have to know, then you don't know your finances, which puts a red mark on your file.

This is an urban myth. FICO does not penalize anyone for reviewing their own credit report. The only inquiries that can affect a credit score negatively are applications for credit.

Everyone should review their credit reports from Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax annually to check for errors and/or possible fraud.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oniya

Also, since each credit reporting agency is required to provide one free report/year, you can check every 4 months by simply rotating which one you ask.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Changes in you credit score due to applications are only a few points and not the huge drop some expect.

The three agency reports are not duplicates of each other.  Two agencies can report a score of say 700 and the third for any number of reasons can report a much lowere score.  Lenders go by the bad news based on the "where there's smoke there's fire" premise.

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on March 16, 2012, 09:23:19 AM
The three agency reports are not duplicates of each other.  Two agencies can report a score of say 700 and the third for any number of reasons can report a much lowere score.  Lenders go by the bad news based on the "where there's smoke there's fire" premise.

Which is all the more reason to check all three.  Staggering them around the year makes it more likely that you'll catch a problem sooner, rather than later.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17