Big Stompy Robots! (New MechWarrior game!)

Started by AllieCat, March 09, 2012, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllieCat

GDC 2012: Role Warfare Interview HD - MechWarrior Online

Ooo, this had me happy dancing all over the place. I don't know why, but I prefer my mechs big and stompy compared to the Gundam style "Just as agile as humans if not more".. but I can't WAIT to play this game, even if I'll probably stink at it :)

TheGlyphstone

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-boom *missile detonation*

Shiny

MechWarrior? Tactical online teamplay? Cry Engine 3? The prospect of destroying other's with a ridiculous number of impulse lasers or once again destroying oneself with an ill-timed alpha strike?!

Squee,  indeed. ;D
Nothing great, but for someone to share their thoughts.

TheGlyphstone

The way he danced around explaining what the premium purchase options would be has me worried though.

Shiny

Quote from: Russ Bullock, about MechWarrior Online, inaccurate QuoteSkill can't be bought.[...) Even if you're a player that has a lot more money, then you do time, you might be able to keep up with your friends, in a way of keeping a garage full of Mechs and enjoy playing with them. You're not gonna buy your dominance on the battlefield.

My guess would be that upgrades, weapons and Mechs cost in-game money, which can be obtained by playing efficiently i.e. not dying or by premium purchase. At least, that way an imbalance in a match wouldn't be a problem.
A deciding factor might be if and how much repairs cost. Set too high, this might make it impossible for newcomers to get into the game ("You're Mech was destroyed, buy a new one! 10 $!"). Though a swarm of light Fireflies equipped with one or two light lasers each trying to take out an heavy Daishi by outmaneuvering it has it's very own appeal ;-).
Pure speculation, so far but I really hope they don't mess it up, the game looks just too awesome to see going down on grounds of an unfair premium-purchase system alone.
Nothing great, but for someone to share their thoughts.

Brandon

The video wont go past the three minute mark for me, no clue why. The premium model kind of worries me but if its like League of legends where your paying for conveinance then Im ok with it. If you're buying power then Im totally against their business model

As mechwarrior goes, I used to play the game a lot back in the day but I dont really see it as all that attractive anymore. Armored core is probably my favorite style of mech game anymore. Theres just been better battle systems come out while mechwarrior has mostly stayed the same
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

HairyHeretic

I'm keeping an eye on this one. I'm hoping there will be strategic level play to it, actual capturing of territory, rather than just mech deathmatches.

I field the 2nd Sword of Light, and would sign up to play them online if I could :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AllieCat

From what I undderstand, you can play in one of three ways

Lone Wolf: Just join battles and shoot things
Merc Corps: Groups of players, not tied to anyone faction
House Play: You play for one of the Houses (I think the big four (Steiner/Davion, Draconis, Liao, Marik) and a couple minor hourses (periphery, Free Raselhague Republic, etcetera) are available. There ill be battles for planets in the inner sphere (with a giant inner sphere map).. Don't get too comfortable, remember the time line is at 3048-3049, and what comes shortly thereafter.. (eeks)

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

Kurita dog!   ;D

Long live the FedCom!
Long live Melissa Steiner-Davion!

I cant wait for this. It's going to be great as long as they can keep cheating down.
I was tired of all the no-heat no-ammo rules of Mechwarrior 4 servers.

I cant wait to put together a kitfox or other light mech, and stock the biggest engine I can find into it.
It was such a little beast on servers, it would beat the reticle tracking of bigger mechs inside of 300m.

CaptainErotica

Finally! I remember seeing a video about 2 years ago about a MW reboot. it had a Loki fighting a light mech in a city and the light mech was on a building. The Loki destroyed the buiding and when the dust clears you see the infamous Death's Head design of an Atlas. It looked awesome, but I guess it never came out or something. But, this game looks freaking awesome. It is definitely going onto my wish list.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CaptainErotica on April 02, 2012, 07:36:39 AM
Finally! I remember seeing a video about 2 years ago about a MW reboot. it had a Loki fighting a light mech in a city and the light mech was on a building. The Loki destroyed the buiding and when the dust clears you see the infamous Death's Head design of an Atlas. It looked awesome, but I guess it never came out or something. But, this game looks freaking awesome. It is definitely going onto my wish list.

Yeah, that was the preview movie for Mechwarrior the single-player reboot. It spun in Development Hell for a while and re-emerged as Mechwarrior Online.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on April 01, 2012, 09:25:17 PM
Kurita dog!   ;D

Long live the FedCom!
Long live Melissa Steiner-Davion!

I sense a challenge match when this goes live :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AllieCat

Big announcement today:

Game goes live for early access July 17th: The game is free to play (with material available for real money or in game money), but the early access is for Founder members:

$60 ELITE Founder's Package Includes:

Exclusive custom "Founder's BattleMech." This 'Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster.
     $80 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
     Two-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
     Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
     Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts July 17th.

$30 VETERAN Founder's Package Includes:

$40 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
     One-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
     Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
     Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts July 17th.