You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
 
December 03, 2016, 06:10:35 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire  (Read 545 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DTWTopic starter

  • Survival Of The Fittest , I ate my twin in the womb.
  • Suspended
  • Enchanter
  • *
  • Join Date: Mar 2010
  • Location: Live From Hell
  • Gender: Male
  • Lions donít lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:41 AM »
Quote
HAVELOCK, N.C. ó A North Carolina man is dead after police say he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning.

City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation into the accident.

l

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/10791085/




How exactly do you forget that you've  covered yourself in gasoline?

Offline Trieste

  • Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • *
  • Join Date: Apr 2005
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • Gender: Female
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
Re: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »
It's not that difficult. "Some time later" may have been an hour, may have been six hours. Additionally, if he was drinking, it would have been even easier to forget.

Poor guy. What a terrible way to go. :/

Online Callie Del Noire

Re: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:09:55 AM »
It's really easy.. the stuff evaporates quickly and if you dont' clean up properly it can still be there. Depending on how much he splashed on himself, what he was wearing and such, it would have been pretty easy to light up the clothing.

I, when I was in the Navy, kept hearing about guys catching fire after getting exposed to JP 8 and going to smoke.. or pilots flash burning themselves from lighting up after getting out the plane without removing their helmet to 'air out' the pure o2 they were breathing in flight. Not to mention the old saw about a Lox handler stepping into an oil puddle and blowing his foot off.

Offline Contacaton

Re: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:45 AM »
Does it make you evil when your first reaction is to laugh?

Offline Ryven

  • Keeper of Cowthulhu | Pure Awesomenesity
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2008
  • Location: The farthest reaches of your dreams
  • Gender: Male
  • The night's pleasure follows in my footsteps
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
Only in my state... >___>

Online TheGlyphstone

Re: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Does it make you evil when your first reaction is to laugh?

If your first reaction was to laugh, you're human.
If your first reaction was to cheer, you're evil.
If your first reaction was to start sketching out a series of double-blind tests to see how prevalent the results are under controlled conditions, you're a scientist. With hella issues, man.

Offline Maverick Hunter Cake

Re: NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
I feel bad for this man's family and close ones.  :'( That must have been some horrible news to the mom and dad that their kid burst into flames and died in them. Ugh, I hope the family will be alright....