You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 08:55:29 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Wireless router issues?  (Read 931 times)

Offline RavensahnkTopic starter

Wireless router issues?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
So I'm pulling my hair out over this.  My Wireless router is glitchy!  It disappears from my desktop, but when I try to connect at any time on my laptop, it either takes forever to connect and when it does connect, it randomly goes down...ALL THE TIME.  At least three or four times a day I have to poke and prod at the cables that are connected to it, but I don't know why it isn't connecting properly.  And to make matters worse, I've not a clue where the disk is for it, or how to edit it's network information to set up a password.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Wireless router issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
What make and model is it?  I might be able to help out with the docs and software.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
It's a linksys...and that's all I really know.  It was the middle grade one that Wal-mart was selling and that's all I really know.  It's black, thin and lightweight and has I believe four ports in the back.  :\  It's not much help, I just have no clue where my box got placed when I moved.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
This might be useful:  http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/linksys

It's got pictures of the different routers, instructions on where to find your model number, and says that they have downloads - which in most cases will include a PDF of the user manual and any drivers (and updates) needed.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »
Thank you Oniya.  I'm hoping that works, it had an update going from Software 1.0 to 3.0

For future references for me it was Model WRT160NV3

Right before this reply and download my Internet completely died.  I had no access what-so-ever.  I had to reboot and unplug the router for several minutes T.T  It's beginning to anger me lol.

Offline Oreo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
It's possible the router/modem might be failing. I have had that happen three times now (about once a year on average). My wifi goes through a series of progressively worse glitches where it stops connecting. The phone company just comes out to replace mine though. : ( Either way, I hope it clears up for you.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:26:24 AM »
Does the router say it's online?  It could also be your antenna. 

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »
Oreo:  That could very well be a problem.  I know my aunt's router had a similar problem, though her's I couldn't connect to at all.  So I don't know.  I'm debating on purchasing a new one in a few weeks but I'm not quite sure yet.

As for SErephino...yeah it does say it's online

Online Jagerin

• They/Them Pronouns || Alpha Raptor || Fandom Monarch || Estrous Twinkle Particle || Kho's Murdoc || Nic's Scully
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Black roses and Hail Mary's can't bring you back.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 20
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
Not that this really helps your issue, but we have that exact same model and are having this exact issue at the moment as well. O_o

Offline GothicFires

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
you should be able to access your router with out the disk through your web browser.

type 'cmd' in run box (or search if you are using windows 7)
once that is open type 'ipconfig'
note the number that corresponds to default gateway and plug it into your address bar.

there are at least two passwords when it comes to routers.
1. the one you use to log into the router itself
2. the one you use to connect to the network

Most routers do not require you to password protect them. So if you haven't set up a password for the router it should be easy.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
-.-  So I can't remember the user name and password for it lol.  I was gonna try it GothicFires.

And Michi, my suggestion once you get a new one, avoid Linksys.  I've had a similar issue with my fiance's old router.  That is until I ran it over with my car XD