I was tinkering on this idea for some time now, and thought why not ask if anyone would like to play it.
Just for a brief sum-up:
The characters would be colonists on their way to their new home. As there is no hyperspeed/lightspeed/call-it-whatever-you-want travel invented yet, they have to be kept in cryostasis, sleeping and dreaming while on the years long journey to their new home.
At one point, you wake up. And something is very, very wrong... Your ship is drifting in the orbit of an unknown world. You are alone, except for the few others that are waking up too. There are no medics to attend you, and it seems that the power is running low. Darkness and gloom is everywhere. Are you the last ones, out of a crew and passengers of over 5.000? What happened, and do you really want to know?
So much for the basic setting I have in mind.
This will be a free form game, so no game system involved. Your characters could be a technician, a farmer, a security officer... whatever you think would work for someone in a crew to establish a new colony.
A few points regarding the "system" and the setting:
- Only humans. There are no aliens and/or xenos. That's what the governments say, at least...
- While taking place in the future, there are still cultural and ethnical rivalries. Not only between the terran population, but also regarding the various colonies.
- No autohitting, no godmodding. Players play their characters, and no one else does, unless the player in question gets asked if he/she's ok with it, and agrees. I like cinematic games, but don't say: "I pull my gun and shoot him in the head." Instead, say: "I pull out my gun, aim for his head and pull the trigger." What happens next will be up to the GM ( which would be me ). the better and more detailed you describe your actions, the more likely you will succeed.
- Characters are characters, and players are players. A character might say "no", meaning "yes", and you can go on. A player might say "no", and it will be "no". Period. Should there be any issues coming up between players (not characters, those will be settled in game), give me a shout, and I try to settle things.
- While I do not encourage violence and hate between the characters, I also don't prohibit it. Your char thinks it's a good idea to beat another char up? Fine, go for it. Just keep two things in mind: Again, no autohitting and godmodding, and you WILL have to live with the consequences.
- I'm not sure about the tech level yet, but there won't be any instant-death-rays-of-apocalypse like weapons. Also, I'm thinking of including bionics and augmentations Ghost in the Shell
style. That would be up to the players to decide if things like that exist.
- I will adjust the style of challenges to the characters. Let's say, if the group is mainly combat focused, there will be combat. A group consisting of a technician, a farmer and a secretary will have something more suited to their characters. I'd like to have a good mix of combat/non-combat characters, and will do my best to get everyone involved.
- Keep to yourself what you don't want other to know. This is very important to me. If there are things about your character you don't want other players to know, send them to me in a PM. Example? The charcater you're playing is a farmer. But before he started to grow crops, he was a special forces soldier, and still knows how to kill and plant explosives. He is ashamed of his past, and what he did there, and tries to keep it hidden from others. get the idea? Good.
As this will be free form, character sheets will be simple. I only require the following:
- Name of the player
- Name of the character
- Appearance (this can be done by a pic, or by describing, or both, whatever works for you)
- Fields of interest and skill
- Fears and hopes
- Habits, both good and bad
- Equipment and gear (a general idea will do, I will give you gear that will go with your profession and interests which i seem appropriate, unless you come up with something yourself)
Should there be a few people interested in playing this kind of game, which will include horror, violence, blood and gore (maybe also some kinky stuff, but that's up to you), I will start with the details to get it going asap.
If you have read this far, and still don't know what you might expect: think of Dead Space
, Eden log
, all mixed up, and some spice added.
Should you be interested, give me a note either here, or via PM.