Starting small: Undermountain PF (full)

Started by ShadowFox89, December 09, 2011, 06:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

So, I decided to start my first game off here on E gradually. 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons, first level, 36 point buy. Using the Undermountain published adventure, then moving past that at level 10 (depending on what the players wish).

I'll be looking for 4-5 players, and would like to cover the basics. 2-3 times a day for posting from players, and you can expect me to be able to reply most of the time. Run any books by me first if you want to use a class from them, I'm fairly lenient.

I believe that is it.... Any questions?

edit: Current cast is as follows

Inkidu - Shadlin Ghost-Step, Human Monk
NicciKotor - Horo, Wolfgirl Sorceress
CrazyIvan - Jessica Fa'Bahue Human Rogue
who149 - Le'thral, Elf Fighter
Call me Shadow
My A/A

BenedictWolfe

What will the nature of the adult content be (since you didn't post this in the Non-Sexual forum)?

Setting wise, what year does this take place?

Tamhansen

yes, I do have that question. What if any adult content are you looking for. As for the adventure itself, I'm surely interested. I'm probably going to go with a class from the PHB1 so fairly simple, but that might change based on group.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Snake

ShadowFox89

Quote from: BenedictWolfe on December 10, 2011, 07:36:33 AM
What will the nature of the adult content be (since you didn't post this in the Non-Sexual forum)?

Setting wise, what year does this take place?

Not sure about what sexual content will be within. Obviously exotic, as players aren't going to be limited to just human.

Setting wise, generic setting. I have a tendency of dislike towards Forgotten Realms, so I've never bothered running a game in that setting before.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pockets

Count me in. Dual wielding Rogue to be listed soon. Or I can see about sending it via PM.
08/02 - New A/A Update

ShadowFox89

Posting here is fine. Just make sure to spoiler so you don't take up too much room :)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 12, 2011, 04:25:50 PM
Not sure about what sexual content will be within. Obviously exotic, as players aren't going to be limited to just human.

Setting wise, generic setting. I have a tendency of dislike towards Forgotten Realms, so I've never bothered running a game in that setting before.

If it's Level 1, I'd assume you'd put it in the Human category, since none of the starting PC races are non-humanoid, and the 'Human' RP category does mention including near-humans like elves.

ShadowFox89

Right, so it'd be Human then, not sure about anything else involved. I suppose it depends on what player interest leans towards.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Snake

I'm still interested but dislike starting at level 1  Undermountain is pretty dangerous. you almost need to be a lvl 5 or greater to even have a chance.

ShadowFox89

A 4-person group going carefully shouldn't have too much problem with the starting areas of Undermountain.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

I'm interested. I've been trying to join (and start) a DnD game on here for a while. I'm more than happy to play a human fighter or barbarian, though I know nothing about the setting. Any limits on starting gold/equipment?

Er... if I can still play.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShadowFox89

Yes, of course you can still play. Setting knowledge isn't needed, as we are using a generic setting to give players room to make things up for backgrounds (you want to be the prince of a nearby kingdom in disguise? go for it). I won't be going first come basis, but will likely close recruitment after a certain time.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CrazyIvan

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 13, 2011, 09:15:19 PM
Yes, of course you can still play. Setting knowledge isn't needed, as we are using a generic setting to give players room to make things up for backgrounds (you want to be the prince of a nearby kingdom in disguise? go for it). I won't be going first come basis, but will likely close recruitment after a certain time.
Now I'm thinking I want to be a paladin or a monk. Oh well, off to find the standard point-buy charts and put together a character sheet.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: CrazyIvan on December 13, 2011, 09:18:39 PM
are you still looking for people?

I will be likely until the end of the year.

Oh, and 36pt buy for stats. I like high powered games.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CrazyIvan

what classes do you need and how many books do you want to use, cause some are pretty broken

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 13, 2011, 09:34:45 PM
I will be likely until the end of the year.

Oh, and 32pt buy for stats. I like high powered games.
Er... do you mean 36? Because that's what was in the first post.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CrazyIvan on December 13, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
what classes do you need and how many books do you want to use, cause some are pretty broken

Good point. Ban the PHB, to start with. :-)

Snake

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 12:45:35 PM
Good point. Ban the PHB, to start with. :-)

Good point. The player's handbook has three of the most broken classes in the entire game: the cleric, the druid, and the wizard.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 14, 2011, 01:40:46 PM
Good point. The player's handbook has three of the most broken classes in the entire game: the cleric, the druid, and the wizard.

Technically four or five most broken, if you allow Paladin and Monk as 'too-weak' broken.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 01:50:12 PM
Technically four or five most broken, if you allow Paladin and Monk as 'too-weak' broken.
I've known so pretty uber Paladins and monks, and that's without any real mini/maxing or anything. :\

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 01:52:33 PM
I've known so pretty uber Paladins and monks, and that's without any real mini/maxing or anything. :\
Point-for-optimization point, Paladins and Monks are the weakest core classes...you can make them good, but you can make any other class as good or better for the same amount of effort.

It also depends on context - if the Fighter likes to carry a Tower Shield and Full Plate, and thinks standing in one place and waving his longsword will convince the monsters to hit him instead of the squishies (and the DM agrees), the Wizard likes spamming Magic Missile and Fireball, and the Cleric only memorizes Cure spells, a Monk can indeed look good.