You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 08:03:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Strange Australian Voting Method  (Read 1441 times)

Offline SabbyTopic starter

Strange Australian Voting Method
« on: January 12, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »
Here in Australia, every now and then, the same thing will happen. When everyone goes into the booth and casts their vote, they simply draw something on the paper, (as you'd imagine, this equals a lot of cartoon boobs and penis') so, when the tally has been counted, everyone has gone on the recorded as having voted, but theres no way to tell who simply drew something and there fore did not vote.

I don't understand the purpose of it, but its kind of funny.

Offline Humble Scribe

Re: Strange Australian Voting Method
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
Isn't it because voting is compulsory in Australia?

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
Theres a fine for not voting. I'm 19 and the election completely went over my head, so I had to pay the due for not voting. But whats the purpose drawing a penis on all the voting slips? I'm starting to think Australians are a little too layed back these days. *snickers* still, its funny.

Offline kongming

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »
It's a pretty small fine, though. Like, much less than a parking ticket, so if parking is going to be a real hassle on voting day, stick with the fine for not voting.

At any rate, our method isn't that strange.

Offline Elvi

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »
I think, Sabbat, that the term used for this is 'protest'.
You don't want to vote, but you don't want to be fined for not voting, so you go along, spoil your ballot paper and don't get fined.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Now that would make some sense Elvi... I'm not too good at politics, so I wouldn't know why such a protest would take place. Eh, at least we got Rudd in, and a couple thousand cartoon breasts :D

Offline SerpentKiss

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »
I think I'd write the opening of a joke, just to annoy them, without giving them the punchline...

....until next year's vote

Offline Lovebug

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 05:54:34 PM »
As a full paid-up strange Australian, I continue to be in favour of compulsory voting. If our government's crap, it's everybody's fault and not just because the weather was bad or what have you.

It also makes it very difficult for extreme points of view to get traction with the electorate, which is a Good Thing in that I would be unlikely to thrive in a theocracy.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »
Apparent a favourite method of spoiling the vote over here is to vote for Dustin the turkey, even if he's not on the ballet.

In case you're not familiar with Dustin, he's Irelands entry for the Eurovision this year (amongst other things).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7261164.stm

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
Supposedly Mickey Mouse gets the most write-ins in US presidential elections. I heard that somewhere...

Offline Mindhazingsquid

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
I wonder who gets the most Canadian votes?  Probably the "Natural Law Party" these days.  Ron Parker and his Yogic Flyers made an appearance just around the time I started being allowed to vote but have since vanished in the the anals of history, hah hah.

Offline kongming

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »
the anals of history

I think you meant annals. I wouldn't normally point out an easy typo, but in this case you used the word anal, so I think we really need to draw attention to it, for the sake of lulz.

Oh, I think "Good News Week" should run for maybe 6 weeks prior to every election. That way Australians will actually pay attention to what's going on in politics and make educated decisions.

Offline Mindhazingsquid

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »
Yeah, I was making an intentional funny with anals and annals.  The Natural Law Party was so rediculous.  They were going to use Yogic Flyers to patrol Canadian skies among other things.  Yogic flyers being the guys who bounce around on their butts.

Offline ShrowdedPoet

• Sexual Deviant
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Don't tell the pirate that I'm under his bed. . .
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »
I'm American :( and I feel it very important to vote. . .but If I were Austrelian, I would still feel it very important to vote, but maybe I'd have some fun one year and draw and fat naked chick. . .*giggles*