You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 08:33:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Computer battery life  (Read 1115 times)

Offline alxnjshTopic starter

Computer battery life
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »
My computer keeps flashing that the end of my computer battery's usable life is soon and should be replaced. Anyone have any experience with how long a battery should last?

Offline jouzinka

• Elf Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hr nn, dollen i Rw
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Computer battery life
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »
Computer-battery? You mean laptop?

Offline Izzie Aditi

• | Pretty eyed, pirate smile| The girl with the short skirt and the long jacket| Sapiosexual|
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Great minds think alike,dirty minds think together
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
Mine (Macbook Pro, almost 3 years old now...should have to look up battery specifics) did 500 cycles in a little over 1,5 years. Let's just say I use it, a LOT. I have heard it shouldn't go that fast though..

Offline Caeli

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:45:53 AM »
My 9-cell Lenovo battery lasted me for about 3 years before it started going. At the start, it could do a maximum of about six hours on one charge; at the end of its life, it maxed out around 2 hours if I was really careful, but could run out in less than an hour if I used the better graphics, had the screen brightness up, etc.

Offline jouzinka

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:08:41 AM »
As a rule of a thumb, a year into it's usage (and regardless whether you do use it or have the laptop plugged into electricity all the time) the battery loses 50% of its capacity.

Offline Neroon

• Sneaky Little Weasel
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • Beware of geeks bearing gifs
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:30:44 AM »
It depends on the type of battery. For exampe, Nickle-metal hydride batteries need to be completely discharged every now and then to prolong their lives and keepin them charged harms their performance. Whereas Lithium-ion and Lithium-polymer batteries' longevity is harmed by their being completely discharged and they last longer being kept fully topped up.  So depending on your type of battery and how you use it, you will get different ages efore it fails.

The quoted life expectancy for a Li-ion battery is 2-3 years of normal use, though the Li-ion battery on my iBook has lasted ten years of misuse.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:17:44 AM »
So a follow-up question. Can you buy a non-brand name battery and it will have the same efficiency and lifespan as a brand name. I have a Dell and their replacement batteries are $150, but I found them on amazon for around $20.

Offline jouzinka

• Lady
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
Short answer: Yes, you can buy it, no, it likely won't.

Long answer: It *is* cheaper for a reason, alx. A wrong battery (or a faulty one) can just as well short-circuit the laptop. It might. Chances are it will serve you a year or two, but are you willing to risk it? It likely won't have the parts, nor the care the Dell one would, if it's not just a packaged rock-brick (which I would suspect for 20 bucks).

It's just like buying non-brand printing cartridges/laser casettes. Many function with it for a long time, but they seriously damage the printer, some leak, some flat out don't work at all, many don't have the right colors and if you turn the printer in for warranty repair and the mechanic realizes you were using non-original material, your warranty is void.

Anyway, as far as battery goes, I'd be really wary of anything that promises to save you more than a third of cost of the original one, but in doubt whether to buy a 100 USD or 150 USD battery, I'd much more readily reach out for the original.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I should buy that battery quickly. My laptop is my life!

Offline Saffron

• ღ Your Designer Drug ღ Myobi's Hither and Thither Girl ღ
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: ღ I would have you, right here on this desk, until you begged for mercy twice. ღ
  • ღ Twice. ღ
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
If you can spare the excess, most definitely stick to your brand name. Even if you warranty is void already, your manufacturer can outright refuse to touch a laptop that you've put improper parts into.

And as it was mentioned its much more likely to cause a short in your system or overload it. Hell, improper batteries in anything are known to cause fires. If you have the resources, play it safe. You get what you pay for, especially with electronics.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
Personally, I've found battery life to become unusable after about two-three years.

So a follow-up question. Can you buy a non-brand name battery and it will have the same efficiency and lifespan as a brand name. I have a Dell and their replacement batteries are $150, but I found them on amazon for around $20.

You want to match part numbers and compatibility lists. I managed to get away with it (and getting a better battery to boot), but YMMV.