How to get started?

Started by Oniya, September 19, 2011, 11:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

At one point, someone made a posting of advice on how to get RPs.  Does anyone know where this ran off to?  It included such things as setting up O/Os, engaging people in conversation, and the like.  It would be very useful to have available for people who find themselves struggling to get started.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

I seem to remember a post entitled "How to gather yourself a harem on Elliquiy" or something like that. Can't recall who it was by though.

Oniya

I could only find this one, but it's more a reminder of etiquette than anything else.  (Searched for 'harem' and went through 10 pages of results.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lord Drake

I gave a peek and found this one... does that help??
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Oniya

It's not the one I remember, but I'll file it away as one possible reference to give out.

Autumn Sativus

I wrote a guide for another site. I think I will post it up somewhere. I wonder where is appropriate, though?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world

Oniya

Excellent!  That's exactly the one I remembered seeing!

Autumn Sativus

I've also posted up the one I wrote a few months back.

How to find a writing partner

If it has anything of interest.
Us against the world

Haibane

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2011, 03:35:48 PM
I could only find this one, but it's more a reminder of etiquette than anything else.  (Searched for 'harem' and went through 10 pages of results.)
Yes, that was the one I was thinking of. I'm afraid I'm not aware of any others. I think a primer on "getting started and meeting other writers at E" would be very helpful, particularly ways to make your game request thread titles and contents more appealing and informative.

Quote from: Saffron on September 19, 2011, 04:39:30 PM
Wait!

I found one!
Advice for Obtaining New Games
Oh gosh! I was a bolshy moo back then wasn't I? Dreadful! Why didn't someone give me a good slap? *hangs head in shame*

HockeyGod

*smacks Haibane on a deliciously wonderful place*  ::)

These are very worthwhile threads. I'm not sure they count as "tutorials" as the tutorials are more for using Elliquiy. They are more like helpful "tips." Perhaps it might be a good new section in the members only related to "tips" like these:

Thoughts on GMing
Effective Recruitment
Finding a Writing Partner

Other things could include things like the Oath of Drake and such.