High Blood Sugar Linked to Memory Loss???

Started by JadenMystic, September 10, 2011, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JadenMystic

Link to article here

Basic summary to this is this:  If you have diabetes (like I do. Been a type 1 insulin-dependent diabetic for 17 years.) the best ways to keep yourself safe from complications from high blood sugars and the health problems that come from that are to maintain good control. Interventions to improve blood sugar, such as getting regular exercise and eating a healthy diet, may help both the body and the brain as it ages. Monitoring and taking steps to lower blood sugar as we grow older may be an important strategy for preventing age-related cognitive decline for everyone, not just people with diabetes, Small tells WebMD (quote from here)

Exercise, as we all know, helps to lower blood sugar levels. It helps the muscles in our body to produce the glucose it needs for them to have the energy to function. Exercise also helps to keep the mind sharp and focused. Being diabetic can lead to an increased risk to Alzheimer's and memory loss.

So, what do you think? Is this all a bunch of lies to help get you to eat right and exercise to stay healthy?  You be the judge. I for one do see this as being something to consider. Lately, I know I've had issues with concentration and remembering things. Could it be related to High Blood Sugars and memory loss? Maybe. The past few weeks my bloodsugars have been all out of control, and I've had issues getting them regulated again like they were this summer. This summer they were in perfect control. I was a lot more active. With my kids in school, I'm not as active because I'm not having to chase them down as much. I know my endocrinologist won't be happy hearing this information, but I guess this article should be helping to motivate me to get up off my butt more to exercise more and do what I'm supposed to be doing in the first place.

A/A(update 1/27) Ideas(update 6/15) O/O&Chars(update 2/1)

there are times when a change of direction is for your highest good. It takes courage to change direction. Choose the path your heart agrees with and walk with your head high and your eyes open. Don't be afraid.

vtboy

Hi, JadenMystic.

Thank you for posting this blog.

I recently saw a news report on the suspected link between high blood sugar levels and memory loss, and am not all surprised by the conclusion. I'm a Type II, non-insulin dependent diabetic, and find myself much more alert, energetic and generally capable when my blood sugar is well-controlled. I think regular and vigorous exercise makes a big difference for me in this respect, though its hard to be certain it is actually the exercise and not the power of expectation that makes me feel better. Either way, though, I've become a gym rat and go through mild withdrawal if I miss a day.

Hoping your blood sugar levels stay lower than my golf scores,

Vtboy

Oniya

I think we're dealing with a number of things that happen to occur in tandem.  Yes, high sugar levels cause confusion in diabetics (and possibly non-diabetics, based on 'sugar rush' behavior).  Yes, diabetes predisposes you to a number of other conditions.  Yes, exercise and eating right can help avoid many of these conditions in everyone.  Is there a causal relationship?  Very hard to tell, but every little bit of prevention is worth it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17